Welcome to Tesla Motors Club
Discuss Tesla's Model S, Model 3, Model X, Model Y, Cybertruck, Roadster and More.
Register

Tesla, TSLA & the Investment World: the Perpetual Investors' Roundtable

This site may earn commission on affiliate links.
Come on now. We all know production is being reduced by 20% the last week of December.
I thought it was being reduced 20% the whole month of December, plus they are shuttering the factory between Christmas and Presidents day.

Isn't this why Zhu is in Texas? They are pulling the plug on Shanghai and need to find some make-work for him?

/s

Pretty cool! Go Belgium! Europe seems more ecologically enlightened than most of the US. Would love to see systems like this with solar panels and other renewable energy sources deployed in Puerto Rico so they wouldn't suffer as much from the next big storm:

I passed the 196 MWh Creyke Beck battery on the train yesterday. Although switched on they are still doing work there, it was very foggy (100m or less visibility) so I could not see all the site, or the substation.

(old story from 22 Nov) Europe's largest battery storage system switched on early in East Yorkshire

As a child we lived just over a mile away, there was a walk that used public footpaths across the fields to the Creyke Beck substation, then across the railway line and back down a country lane (now much more built up).

It may seem bad because we are Tesla's core demographic. And many of our social networks are built out of people also in that demographic. But if Tesla can build awareness and favorability among people who previously had no interest in EVs, maybe that's a small silver lining.
The other silver lining is that this is probably just a US thing. The rest of the world doesn’t care. In 3 weeks the USA introduces incentives that are massively helpful for EV penetration, and even more massively helpful for Tesla financially. If US car buyers massively decide that their next car is going to be an EV, which company is going to be able to produce those cars en masse?

The other silver lining is that this is probably just a US thing. The rest of the world doesn’t care. In 3 weeks the USA introduces incentives that are massively helpful for EV penetration, and even more massively helpful for Tesla financially. If US car buyers massively decide that their next car is going to be an EV, which company is going to be able to produce those cars en masse?
So what you’re saying is that something massively massive could happen en masse? 🤔😉

Pretty cool! Go Belgium! Europe seems more ecologically enlightened than most of the US. Would love to see systems like this with solar panels and other renewable energy sources deployed in Puerto Rico so they wouldn't suffer as much from the next big storm:

Back of the envelope calculation: if they charge those batteries this night around 3AM (280 euro/MWh), and sell that around 5Pm (660 euro/MWh), that’s 38K profit in half a day.

I'm going to go on the record and say there is more credibility to the Tom Zhu rumors than I think most here believe. A few reasons why, in no particular order
  • The article, obviously. Not that it had much credibility, but usually these things come from somewhere.
  • Elon tweeting saying SpaceX & Tesla don't really need him because the teams are so good
  • This phase of Tesla is all about executing on massive growth. The products are all there and designed. (4680s, Semi + CT ramping, Energy, Robotaxi/small car presumably ready). A scale/execution CEO would make a lot of sense.
  • Elon has mentioned in the past he doesn't necessarily want the CEO role anyway
  • Elon has a new toy (whether we like it or not) and says those types of issues are a number one priority.
  • China is very important to Teslas future, and a CEO from Tesla China would be a great way of making that clear.
  • Giga Shanghai has been a huge success, 'nuff said. Who thought in 2019 that it would be capable of 1M+ cars/year?
  • It was mentioned that Elon had already named a potential successor to the board, who realistically would we think it is? Zach? Despite him having a cool name it just doesn't seem that compelling.
  • Tesla China has (as I understand it) operated with a bit more autonomy, meaning Tom Zhu has run basically a smaller Tesla within Tesla. Of all Elon's reports, he stands out when looking at potential successors for that reason.
  • Elon recently mentioning urgent matters with the board. (Okay realistically this could be literally anything)
  • More that I have forgotten while typing this, just take my word for it :p
I think we will see Elon step back from CEO, keeping some direct reports focusing on product development/FSD/Optimus, and let Tom Zhu take over as the man to lead Tesla through this huge growth phase. Masterplan part III. Achieving very large scale.

On the other hand, maybe I've just been thinking about this too long 😵‍💫
To me it would make more sense to have the "heir apparent" take a COO role under Musk for a few years, that in itself would bolster sentiment - we've been asking for a COO for year now, kinda happened with Jerome, but not really

Anyway, that's what I'd like to see - Musk needs to stay around as the visionary and talisman, but on a more ad-hoc basis

It's mainly a US thing, but media feast on anything Elon-related. It's a SEO thing and has been for years. Just look at the headlines where they put "Musk" or "Tesla" just to get clicks, even if it's not the subject.
This is now very handy because Elon feeds the machine himself with his frequent tweets, like Trump used to. Media love that.
And COVID being a global issue, everyone in the world has their own strong opinion, so it's a juicy subject.
I still don't think demand will be greatly affected, for now, but I don't discard the possibility of a substantial dent in the following months either, if he continues at this pace.

PS 30m later: for work I just had to edit a video from a 24/h news channel from the national public broadcasting company of Italy, and for the 2 minutes of the video - which is about an unrelated book - there was a writing on the screen that read:
"White House:«Musk attacks to Fauci are disgusting and unjustifiable»"
1670923423703.png

Last edited:
Last edited: