Welcome to Tesla Motors Club
Discuss Tesla's Model S, Model 3, Model X, Model Y, Cybertruck, Roadster and More.
Register

Tesla, TSLA & the Investment World: the Perpetual Investors' Roundtable

This site may earn commission on affiliate links.
We're all on the same page here. It doesn't really matter to Tesla.

Point is even under ideal conditions fusion as a source of commercial power is still far enough out that we still need solar.

Likewise for literally any other power breakthrough you can cook up. The need to displace current emissions creating power plants is the number one priority. We're not getting a miracle power source that's going to be able to do the job without a huge assist from solar.
Imagine where solar/battery storage will be in the 30 years it takes for fusion to become commercially viable. So cheap that fusion will probably be irrelevant.

Not to mention model of everyone connected to a centralized power plant is unsustainable . Energy produced where it is consumed is the future,

@SmokyPeat
like this?View attachment 885122 we got a fusion reactor ~8.3light minutes away and rooftop solar PV. 70 Mwh so far :cool:
I know folks been doing this 40 - 50 years now
Yes, exactly like that. Unfortunately that giant, beautiful orb in the sky takes a nap every night. Or at least I assume that's what happens. :)
I'm not saying that man-made fusion energy is in our very near future, but if we can manage not to annihilate our species, it will come.

Mod: There is a thread that's existed for 8 years about fusion: Breakthrough in Nuclear Fusion . It is clearly off topic here, and irrelevant to Tesla / TSLA for at least a decade. And everything I just read here has already been said there about 15 times over the years. --ggr

PS. I have a headache from new glasses. Read into that what you will.

There is a huge negative correlation between the macro swings today and TSLA. It looks as though Elon might have been selling TSLA this morning, and perhaps all week to fund expenses for his new toy. We may know better tonight, if a related SEC Form 4 is released.

Any such selling by Elon may have ended around 11 am EST when TSLA bottomed and began a climb upward.

Some argue that Elon would not be wise to sell at such low prices, but that may not be a great concern for him, since he has access to far more money than he can ever spend for personal needs.
So why would you assume the worst (Elon selling shares) without any actual evidence? We need to stop spreading FUD and unnecessarily shooting ourselves and each other in the feet.

Yikes. How backward a place do you live in. Every rural farmer in France is well aware of Tesla and Musk, ditto Romania, Portugal and Poland.
To clarify I’m not just talking about brand awareness but the actual product and ownership experience.

Tesla knowledge is mostly spread by word of mouth and direct personal interactions. Population density is strongly correlated with Tesla and general EV ownership. There is also a stark political split, especially in North America, between large cities and the hinterlands which has historically been and continues to be statistically correlated with oil propaganda filling people’s minds with disinformation and lies about EVs, fossil fuels and climate change. That’s a whole other topic that doesn’t belong here, but I’m just saying it definitely is a tendency that exists.

For instance, I have family in a small town in South Carolina. The amount of ignorance and regurgitation of EV misinformation is mind boggling, the likes of which and I never have encountered in Seattle. Someone actually came up to a charging station to confront my family member and another guy with an F-150 Lightning to yell at them for how stupid they were to have electric cars and threw every silly old trope about battery replacement costs and range etc. Coworkers share similar nonsense that makes me face palm when I hear about it. This stuff is relatively common in rural areas compared to large cities.

It might be different in Europe. I’m an ignorant American, so I don’t know.

On 10/27 he had 110 million followers, today he has 121 million. That’s a gain of 11 million in 50 days, so it’s even more than I said: 110,000 per day. Ofcourse many of those don’t have enough money to ever be able to afford a car, but plenty do and could one day consider a Tesla.

View attachment 885113
Sad commentary on our society. Kim Kardashian, according to a Google search, currently has 335,000,000 followers. Not really impressed by followers and likes.

So why would you assume the worst (Elon selling shares) without any actual evidence? We need to stop spreading FUD and unnecessarily shooting ourselves and each other in the feet.
Anything @Curt Renz posts on this thread should be considered carefully.
He is a gift to us here and if you spend any time reviewing his posts they are pretty spot on. He would never post FUD.

If you want to pick on someone, try the mods, they really appreciate it. /s

Sad commentary on our society. Kim Kardashian, according to a Google search, currently has 335,000,000 followers. Not really impressed by followers and likes.

A question to ask is just how much indirect reach, outside of every direct 1 Twitter follower of an account, can one tweet have for Tesla...

It's not just about cross-links to media publications, but also people showing others a tweet on the phone for someone not on the Internet nor Twitter.

For more info:

• Helpful
Reactions: Krugerrand
Elon spoke positively of the potential for nuclear fusion in an interview from about twenty years ago that I can’t find anymore. I’m not aware of him mentioning it since then.

Tesla is about sustainable energy. Solar photovoltaics and batteries were selected as the optimal solution because they win overall.

Nuclear fusion is an extremely sophisticated way of generating heat to vaporize water into steam and drive a turbine to drive an alternator.

Solar, wind and battery electricity costs per kWh are going so low that ALL thermal power stations, including coal, gas, oil, biomass, fission, fusion, geothermal and solar (the mirrors and molten salt kind), are being disrupted and are rapidly facing total obsolescence. It won’t matter if you can generate an infinite supply of steam for $0 by magic. The rest of the cost structure of the power plant, cooling, and the transmission grid will be more than the all-in cost of localized solar panels placed near the load. I mean, endless free steam is basically how Iceland gets electricity and it’s still more expensive than solar is right now in some areas of the world.

Therefore, fusion research is a waste of time and resources as far as I can tell—even if it works perfectly. Maybe centuries from now it’ll be the best option for spacecraft civilizations traveling beyond our Solar System but that is a long way off. I think Tesla correctly picked integrated rooftop solar as the best answer for most cases.

Last edited:
It might be different in Europe. I’m an ignorant American, so I don’t know.
I was in Romania in 2018. My Uber drivers knew about Elon Musk and Tesla, and the younger generation desperate to get out. The rural peeps not so much. There wasn’t much confidence at the time that Tesla would ever have much of a presence back then and when I saw their electrical infrastructure - um, I wasn’t confident either. Blew a breaker that took the power out in a number of buildings one night when I plugged in my cellphone to recharge. Concierge mumbled something in Romanian that likely translated to ******** *********!

800584DF-9121-427B-96C0-02F473735176.jpeg

There is a huge negative correlation between the macro swings today and TSLA. It looks as though Elon might have been selling TSLA this morning, and perhaps all week to fund expenses for his new toy.

Well I registered for the Twitter liquidation auction, looks like no more anything including the kitchen sink, and the entire kitchen. Already have my eye on a few items to bid on. That should help fund the new toy.

I was in Romania in 2018. My Uber drivers knew about Elon Musk and Tesla, and the younger generation desperate to get out. The rural peeps not so much. There wasn’t much confidence at the time that Tesla would ever have much of a presence back then and when I saw their electrical infrastructure - um, I wasn’t confident either. Blew a breaker that took the power out in a number of buildings one night when I plugged in my cellphone to recharge. Concierge mumbled something in Romanian that likely translated to ******** *********!

View attachment 885139

So basically your saying the power pole in front of my house could be an issue?

1671062591533.png

What, this isn't a new thing?

Sounds like it was written yesterday, not four years ago. I wonder what he's thinking now.
For folks who see Elon that way I offer...

Maybe they should study up on Autism, particularly Asperger's Syndrome. This sort of behavior is part and parcel with that unique flavor of genius which is Elon.

If someone is unable to take the good with the bad there may be more comfortable investments elsewhere.

I'm quite tickled with the way this is going personally, but I do have a working understanding of the fundamentals at play, and tend to be forgiving and judge people on overall achievement rather than on whether or not they agree with any particular belief I hold dear.

YMMV

But Nuclear power plants do generate energy. Fusion is still very much stuck in the research lab and may never be viable.

Anyways, why are people talking about what Elon didn’t say? It is very odd.
Because the mainstream media has all their pitchforks out looking for any possible witches to hang which has somehow even infected our TMC members. The FUD contagion continues to spread even internally. Peak internal FUD = TSLA stock price bottoming out though :)

Anything @Curt Renz posts on this thread should be considered carefully.
He is a gift to us here and if you spend any time reviewing his posts they are pretty spot on. He would never post FUD.

If you want to pick on someone, try the mods, they really appreciate it. /s
I'm simply proposing that it's unwise (and at the very least, unscientific) to jump to conclusions without any evidence. That's what the TSLA shorts do - play on our emotions vs facts/fundamentals.