Welcome to Tesla Motors Club
Discuss Tesla's Model S, Model 3, Model X, Model Y, Cybertruck, Roadster and More.
Register

Tesla, TSLA & the Investment World: the Perpetual Investors' Roundtable

This site may earn commission on affiliate links.
Poll just closed. Final results:

Elon Musk @elonmusk​
Should I step down as head of Twitter? I will abide by the results of this poll.​
  • Yes 57.5%
  • No 42.5%
17,502,391 votes·Final results​

TSLA Pre-Market Quotes Live​

This page refreshes every 30 seconds.
Data last updated Dec 19, 2022 06:24 AM ET.

Consolidated Last Sale$157.50 +7.27 (+4.84%)
Pre-Market Volume1,856,795
Pre-Market High$158.2 (05:55:50 AM)
Pre-Market Low$152.55 (04:00:00 AM)

QQQ is +0.50% right now (positive macros)

GL2ALL!
Articles on why this is bad news for Tesla in 3 2 1 …

I’m going to buy chairs today, mostly because we are getting close to what I believe will be a good P&D report, and hoping that this poll removes some of the overhang.

But the risk of Tesla brand impairment from Musk’s political activism remains real. That overhang is going to continue until Tesla posts several more quarters of increasing sales that demonstrates that it sells out its production despite the CEO’s alienation of potential customers from his political activism.

Articles on why this is bad news for Tesla in 3 2 1 …

ask and ye shall receive. coincidence ?
Screen Shot 2022-12-19 at 7.47.09 AM.png

No - seems clear to me, he is looking to convert the debt to equity. The burden of interest of the debt is too much on Twitter now.

So, he has to mend his ways to attract new equity. They would also want a new face to attract ad revenue. They would also probably want Elon to stop sh*t posting. He is too unpredictable to put your billions into Twitter now.

This is actually a very big deal for Elon - how this Twitter saga ends will dictate his ability to raise capital going forward (atleast for new ventures).
Funding secured? ;)

Reactions: ElectricIAC
I think its great news that the S and X are also likely to be Berlin-made. I agree that fremonts model S... is a bit of a quality control disaster, or at least was when they threw mine together in 2015 :D.

In general, I reckon we underestimate demand for S/X for a bunch of reasons:

1) A lot of luxury car owners are old men. Not necessarily known for their openness to new brands, and new styles. This is gradually changing. I definitely know a few people who drive porsches/jaguars/landrovers who are slowly coming around to EVs and to Tesla as a reliable/high performance option
2) There are obvious expansions to any market where there have previously been waiting lists. Being able to order one today and buy it today will unlock higher demand.
3) The early S/X had bad built quality. Lets not pretend otherwise. This seems way better now, especially China/Berlin built. That also unlocks higher demand.
4) I know people in the market for high end cars who have also been waiting 'for the tech to mature'. This is laughable to us, but to a lot of people, EVs have only just started to become a viable choice.

To emphasize 4) one of the beuaties of having a mass market model 3/Y, is you have to build out the charging infrastructure to support it. That means you have a luxury range (S/X) that benefits from the sort of charging network that could never be justified for a pure luxury brand.
In the early days of my model S ownership, we were often frustrated by inconvenient charging, but put up with it as early adopters. A lot of wealthy luxury car people wouldnt have done that, but now they will not have to.

TL;DR: Porsche will never be able to offer their customers a charging network as good as Teslas, because there is no cheap Porsche in the mass market.

When I am analyzing potential S/X sales, I just assume that eventually Tesla destroys* Jaguar, Porsche, Lexus and BMW and Mercedes as luxury car brands and takes their entire market share. This may take time, but still looks inevitable to me.

*maybe they will persist as extremely niche, stupidly overpriced small-production cars owned by people who just cant stand elon musk.

Poll just closed. Final results:

Elon Musk @elonmusk​
Should I step down as head of Twitter? I will abide by the results of this poll.​
  • Yes 57.5%
  • No 42.5%
17,502,391 votes·Final results​

TSLA Pre-Market Quotes Live​

This page refreshes every 30 seconds.
Data last updated Dec 19, 2022 06:24 AM ET.

Consolidated Last Sale$157.50 +7.27 (+4.84%)
Pre-Market Volume1,856,795
Pre-Market High$158.2 (05:55:50 AM)
Pre-Market Low$152.55 (04:00:00 AM)

QQQ is +0.50% right now (positive macros)

GL2ALL!

Oh thank God, there is hope of a turnaround for our stock yet!!!! :D

I wonder how hard the MM's will try to keep it down? Will they be happy with achieving the 150's or will they go for lower yet?

I think its great news that the S and X are also likely to be Berlin-made. I agree that fremonts model S... is a bit of a quality control disaster, or at least was when they threw mine together in 2015 :D.

In general, I reckon we underestimate demand for S/X for a bunch of reasons:

1) A lot of luxury car owners are old men. Not necessarily known for their openness to new brands, and new styles. This is gradually changing. I definitely know a few people who drive porsches/jaguars/landrovers who are slowly coming around to EVs and to Tesla as a reliable/high performance option
2) There are obvious expansions to any market where there have previously been waiting lists. Being able to order one today and buy it today will unlock higher demand.
3) The early S/X had bad built quality. Lets not pretend otherwise. This seems way better now, especially China/Berlin built. That also unlocks higher demand.
4) I know people in the market for high end cars who have also been waiting 'for the tech to mature'. This is laughable to us, but to a lot of people, EVs have only just started to become a viable choice.

To emphasize 4) one of the beuaties of having a mass market model 3/Y, is you have to build out the charging infrastructure to support it. That means you have a luxury range (S/X) that benefits from the sort of charging network that could never be justified for a pure luxury brand.
In the early days of my model S ownership, we were often frustrated by inconvenient charging, but put up with it as early adopters. A lot of wealthy luxury car people wouldnt have done that, but now they will not have to.

TL;DR: Porsche will never be able to offer their customers a charging network as good as Teslas, because there is no cheap Porsche in the mass market.

When I am analyzing potential S/X sales, I just assume that eventually Tesla destroys* Jaguar, Porsche, Lexus and BMW and Mercedes as luxury car brands and takes their entire market share. This may take time, but still looks inevitable to me.

*maybe they will persist as extremely niche, stupidly overpriced small-production cars owned by people who just cant stand elon musk.
There are a few misconceptions in your post in my opinion:
First, the 'old men resistant to 'newness'. For many years the luxury market innovation has been readily received by the older buyers. The 'old men' in that market have tended to be early adopters in many arenas in their lives. Generalizing the generic resistance to change does not extend at all to all segments, least of all exotic car enthusiasts. I do have data on this but it is proprietary so I cannot disclose it.
Second, Porsche already sells more BEV than ICE is some categories and is quite likely to continue to expand. My neighbor with a Taycan is celebrating his 80th birthday, only anecdotal but entirely consistent with brand penetration.
Third, have you checked out Porsche Macan? Competitive with Model Y and BEV arriving soon.
The reality is that from brand to brand in many markets the luxury BEV's are very popular, from Porsche, Audi, Mercedes and now even Lotus, Maserati and Ferrari are being fined by Lotus and Rolls Royce. Conventional charging network issues are diminishing in many areas of the world, not least as Tesla Superchargers open to other brands.

The 'luxury' brands are widely moving to BEV and older people dominate the brand purchases nearly everywhere. Of course Model S and X will thrive, but they are no longer exclusive options. In no way is that to diminish Tesla advantages, only that as the markets mature market share of BEV will decline as total market share will continue to rise.

All this is quite quickly advancing BEV acceptance which is already advancing quickly even in countries in which Tesla is not yet officially present.

All this is wonderful news for TSLA and us.