Welcome to Tesla Motors Club
Discuss Tesla's Model S, Model 3, Model X, Model Y, Cybertruck, Roadster and More.
Register

Tesla, TSLA & the Investment World: the Perpetual Investors' Roundtable

This site may earn commission on affiliate links.
I'm sure the comment about Tesla lowering prices to increase demand, to the point of negative margins, will be plastered all over the news for the week as a negative and the SP will go lower. But in reality, it should be the largest "Oh Sh!t" moment for every other automaker on the planet, because if Tesla lowers prices to the point of no profit, every other automaker will have no way to match them and compete without going bankrupt very fast!
I had a similar thought, if Tesla is committed to growing volume over maintaining margins it creates an even more daunting obstacle for "the competition that's always coming" who I suspect are still struggling to produce EVs at a meaningful profit.

On another note:

A strong, independent person holds their own opinions.
A wise one knows when to keep them to themselves.

I continue to be disappointed in Elon- and yes I know it's Elon- and possibly more so by the board that more wisdom isn't being exercised especially in light of the fact this is a PUBLICLY traded company. That has benefits, but it also has responsibilities.

I'm going to start a separate thread to discuss what we as retail shareholders might do to voice our concern over how those responsibilities are being met. Heck, it can't be any more absurd than many of the proposals I have to vote on for the investors meeting every year!

I had a similar thought, if Tesla is committed to growing volume over maintaining margins it creates an even more daunting obstacle for "the competition that's always coming" who I suspect are still struggling to produce EVs at a meaningful profit.

On another note:

A strong, independent person holds their own opinions.
A wise one knows when to keep them to themselves.

I continue to be disappointed in Elon- and yes I know it's Elon- and possibly more so by the board that more wisdom isn't being exercised especially in light of the fact this is a PUBLICLY traded company. That has benefits, but it also has responsibilities.

I'm going to start a separate thread to discuss what we as retail shareholders might do to voice our concern over how those responsibilities are being met. Heck, it can't be any more absurd than many of the proposals I have to vote on for the investors meeting every year!

I will be surprised if one isn’t presented at the Q4 call.

Reactions: navguy12
I'm sure the comment about Tesla lowering prices to increase demand, to the point of negative margins, will be plastered all over the news for the week as a negative and the SP will go lower. But in reality, it should be the largest "Oh Sh!t" moment for every other automaker on the planet, because if Tesla lowers prices to the point of no profit, every other automaker will have no way to match them and compete without going bankrupt very fast!
I don't recall him saying they would sell at negative margins, but I certainly got the impression they were laser focused on increasing production even if it mean significant reduction in prices. And I totally agree that this should terrify legacy automakers. If the idea of Tesla selling a Model Y (Perhaps the non LR model) for $45k with $7,500 in government rebates doesn't make them pee their pants, the effect it has on their vehicle sales sure will.

We're eyeballing 2 new Gigafactories coming online in North America in the next 18-24 months. It's very likely one of them will be starting production of the lower cost Tesla model. (Or maybe it'll be produced in Texas which would potentially bring it online faster). Both of these facts should terrify them.

But first, they have to survive the Cybertruck being launched opposite their breadwinning truck lines during a recession.

Edit: Weird weird weird. This post quoted the wrong post originally. I must have hit the wrong button. Fixed:

No margin for me ever, ever, ever. I have no crystal ball, and I have enough other things going on in my life that can distract me from daily monitoring of my portfolio. Maybe I'm a bit too conservative, but then again, after the last couple of months I have been moving almost all of my non-retirement stuff into TSLA... I'm already getting twitchy about "eggs" and "one basket". BUT... I just absolutely believe this will be turning around in the long run.

Since I wasn't in years ago, seems like now is the best opportunity for someone like me to enjoy the TSLA ride...
IMHO a smart financial move, as long as you maintain a long horizon and don't allow the interim roller coaster ride to scare you off.

Reactions: MC3OZ and Gray Man
Listening to this Twitter Spaces talk with Elon has really calmed my nerves about TSLA. The past month has been so stressful. Just what I needed to hear today.
I thought he sounded great and reasonable. It definitely reassured some of my concerns. A lot of the angst concerning the SP is mostly macro related, but Elon certainly added to it with some of his commentary on T, his lack of or curt responses to prior reasonable questions and primarily due to his selling billions of shares at perhaps the worst time possible. Nevertheless, I really appreciated him making time, answering questions in a forthright manner and simply being available to shareholders. Good times ahead.

You don't think the points raised by Elon summarized in the tweet below could be termed “bearish”???

View attachment 888109
He already commented months ago about his fears about the macro economy as did many other CEOs like J. Dimon. Nothing new on that end. I feel much better about Tesla as a whole after hearing him speak tonight.

Tesla Megapack data:

{
"name": "4hXL",
"megaPackPowerMW": 0.9696,
"megaPackCapacityMWh": 3.916,
"commissioningBaseCost": 11000,
"commissioningVariableCost": 2750,
"siteMasterControllerCost": 4700,
"installAidAnchorTemplateCost": 1620,
"preventativeMaintenanceBaseCost": 8294,
"preventativeMaintenanceVariableCost": 4818,
"maintenanceMargin": 0,
"logisticsCost": 10512,
"epcCosts": [{
"megaPackUnit": 1,
"megaPackCost": 252214
}, {
"megaPackUnit": 2,
"megaPackCost": 197403.116535433
}, {
"megaPackUnit": 12,
"megaPackCost": 168554.4
}, {
"megaPackUnit": 32,
"megaPackCost": 116113.56
}, {
"megaPackUnit": 66,
"megaPackCost": 96969.696969697
}, {
"megaPackUnit": 132,
"megaPackCost": 90525.6
}, {
"megaPackUnit": 328,
"megaPackCost": 85670.7317073171
}],
"epcMargins": [{
"group": 1,
"marginRate": 0.25,
"min": 1,
"max": 5
}, {
"group": 2,
"min": 5,
"max": 10
}, {
"group": 3,
"marginRate": 0.2,
"min": 10,
"max": 200
}, {
"group": 4,
"marginRate": 0.1,
"min": 200,
"max": null
}],
"hardwareMargins": [{
"marginRate": 0.5,
}, {
}, {
}, {
}],
"unitCostPerQuarter": {
"2024 Q3": 855383.7559949934,
"2024 Q4": 855383.7559949934,
"2025 Q1": 855383.7559949934,
"2025 Q2": 855383.7559949934,
"2025 Q3": 855383.7559949934,
"2025 Q4": 855383.7559949934
}
}, {
"name": "2hXL",
"megaPackPowerMW": 1.9272,
"megaPackCapacityMWh": 3.8544,
"commissioningBaseCost": 11000,
"commissioningVariableCost": 2750,
"siteMasterControllerCost": 4700,
"installAidAnchorTemplateCost": 1620,
"preventativeMaintenanceBaseCost": 8294,
"preventativeMaintenanceVariableCost": 4818,
"maintenanceMargin": 0,
"logisticsCost": 10512,
"epcCosts": [{
"megaPackUnit": 1,
"megaPackCost": 540765
}, {
"megaPackUnit": 2,
"megaPackCost": 223378
}, {
"megaPackUnit": 12,
"megaPackCost": 203015.795644479
}, {
"megaPackUnit": 32,
"megaPackCost": 158716.268435779
}, {
"megaPackUnit": 66,
"megaPackCost": 149006.482796364
}, {
"megaPackUnit": 132,
"megaPackCost": 145710.197540641
}, {
"megaPackUnit": 328,
"megaPackCost": 145710.197540641
}],
"epcMargins": [{
}, {
}, {
"marginRate": 0.2,
}, {
"marginRate": 0.1,
}],
"hardwareMargins": [{
}, {
}, {
}, {
}],
"unitCostPerQuarter": {
"2024 Q3": 907362.6332270842,
"2024 Q4": 907362.6332270842,
"2025 Q1": 907362.6332270842,
"2025 Q2": 907362.6332270842,
"2025 Q3": 907362.6332270842,
"2025 Q4": 907362.6332270842
}
}]

I feel like I'm nitpicking here.

Profits and margin are not the same. I feel like negative profits are possible (though unlikely) but I seriously doubt Tesla is going to sell cars at a loss (save perhaps during a vehicle ramp up).
Most companies that grow 50% yoy does not make a positive profit margin. Tesla is in a unique position in which it is making a net income and has a PE while growing revenue that fast, hence why it's special. Elon feels that if the recession hits hard and the feds keep rising rates, Tesla will maintain revenue growth but will maintain a break even net profit margin Amazon style.

Lots of people here had forgotten why Elon is the best leader for Tesla, hope this call tonight reminded them why he is. Gerber etc sounds like freshmen debating the professor when they question Elon and Elon had good answers to every question he got. In hindsight it often seems that Tesla has been very lucky with their decisions, investing in the right things at the right time, going into lithium refining right before the price of lithium shoots up etc. Because Elon is just really good at predicting the future and willing to take action on his beliefs, risking being wrong, and this is one of Tesla's biggest advantages.
Hmmm, Professor Elon? That would be one hell of graduate course... probably the first of many in the University of Mars!

Most companies that grow 50% yoy does not make a positive profit margin. Tesla is in a unique position in which it is making a net income and has a PE while growing revenue that fast, hence why it's special. Elon feels that if the recession hits hard and the feds keep rising rates, Tesla will maintain revenue growth but will maintain a break even net profit margin Amazon style.
In my head "Margin" is your per vehicle profit where Net Profits are what you end up with after operational expenses are taken into account. So negative margin would mean selling for less than COGS.

Maybe that's not the official definition. I think it's what we were taught in business school though... but that was 25 years ago so maybe I've crossed things up.

Either way, at this point Tesla posting a loss would but maintaining sales volume would mean massive reduction in the price to consumers. That would be devastating for the rest of the industry.

Reactions: tslalala
In my head "Margin" is your per vehicle profit where Net Profits are what you end up with after operational expenses are taken into account. So negative margin would mean selling for less than COGS.

Maybe that's not the official definition. I think it's what we were taught in business school though... but that was 25 years ago so maybe I've crossed things up.

Either way, at this point Tesla posting a loss would but maintaining sales volume would mean massive reduction in sales cost. That would be devastating for the rest of the industry.
There's gross margins and net margins. Gross margins is ASP-COGS while net margins is the bottom line.

There is ZERO possible way Tesla will sell a car at a flat or negative gross margin. They have never done, not even during the model S ramping days. And if they were to do this, Tesla will have brutal -1.7B + losses from a net profit stand point every quarter