Welcome to Tesla Motors Club
Discuss Tesla's Model S, Model 3, Model X, Model Y, Cybertruck, Roadster and More.
Register

Tesla, TSLA & the Investment World: the Perpetual Investors' Roundtable

This site may earn commission on affiliate links.
So, he made us a thing to always remind us of this year. I'll display mine in a glass case to see it everyday and remind myself of this crazy times. Lessons learned the hard way are the best, they say.

Lessons learned the hard way are more expensive, that doesn't make them better.

It's always best to learn for free by observing other's expensive lessons and taking them to heart as if it were your own loss. I've never been burned by margin, but that is only because I knew I didn't want to be burned by margin.

Actually, Elon has commented on market conditions. Multiple times and he's mentioned supply chain impact, macroeconomic conditions, federal reserve impact, etc. Other CEO's have commented as well.

As far as the red part of your post..interesting that you are 180 degrees apart on that perspective from the CEO who has said:

Tesla FSD system is “essential” or company is “worth basically zero”​

Why do you assume that I (or any of us) have to be 100% on the same page as Elon? I’m not a strong believer in FSD and still think the company will become extremely valuable, thanks to its innovations, efficiency and pricing power. Also, we all know Elon can sometimes dramatize a bit, to make a point.

You are missing the entire Taiga for the forest, nevermind the trees: Within 5 yrs, 4 mths Elon will need to sell ~150 MILLION shares of TSLA just to pay the income taxes he'll owe on executing his CEO stock options before they expire.

How do you think Elon selling 150M shares within 5 yrs affects the SP? That's 30M/yr avg EACH YEAR. That's more than he sold in 2021, and more than he sold in 2022. EVERY YEAR, unless he sells them all at once (either ASAP, or as late as possible).

Look at the limits - first the lower time frame: Elon's excercise price is around $23/share. If the SP was still at that level (it was there 50 mths ago), then he'd owe NO INCOME TAXES (no net gain). He'd just need the $7B in cash in order to excercise the shares. Now as @mongo showed us upthread today, Elon can get that cash by selling half the shares (ouch), or by shaking his OTHER couches to find a space $7B. Then let the SP ride up over time, and pay just capital gains taxes on subsequent sales.

View attachment 889278

Now let's look at the Upper Limit - for convenience let's just call it the ATH of $412 from Nov 4, 2021. If Elon sells 150M shares to pay his imcome taxes at $421, he gets nothing, the Gov't gets $62B, and WORSE for TSLA shareholders, $62B in capital is extracted from the Market. What effect do you think that will have on Tesla's Market Cap?

Let's use the past 13 mths as a guide. Sure some of this drop is macros. Let's factor that out: QQQ down 33% since Nov 4, 2021 while TSLA is down 72.5%. Let's attribute ALL of the difference to Elon selling TSLA and bears jumping in on the shorting opportunity. That's a 40% drop in Mkt Cap, or roughly -500B in Mkt Cap due to the selling.

So that's the estimate of our ratio of Elon's selling to the drop in Mkt Cap: Elon sold ~$40B in shares and it cost $500B in Mkt Cap, so that's approx a 12:1 ratio of shorting to selling. And that's how you estimate how Elon selling 150M shares within 5 years would affect the Mkt Cap: it'd have about the same affect as selling 1.8B shares of TSLA which is roughly 80% of the float. Yeah. Gulp. This is an unavoidable future, IMO. There IS NO dark pool big enough to float 1.8B shares of TSLA. Even the S&P 500 addtion as only about 600M shares (about a third of the selling Elon needs to do)

Where do you think that would leave the SP? Below $23? At what point in selling can he execute and not pay any income taxes? Do you see the point I'm trying to make is that BOTH alternatives (sell now, or wait to the end) winds up with a substantial dip in the SP, and Elon selling most of his shares in a lump while paying minimal taxes? Isn't it better to do this sooner, get the disruption over with, so the company can built value back into its SP?

How can we avoid this? Elon has to excercise all his stock options at a SP low enough that he can pay the income taxes in cash. And given the number of shares involved, it's better if he can afford to but more with any set amnt of cash he may have, then he'll have to sell half of the rest to pay the taxes. It's just that simple. And that's best case, if he still have the fire in his belly after this decades long grind. Maybe he'll want to get out, maybe he'll want to stay in (we're generally not helping ATM).

At any rate, this is my profound hope. And hope is a dangerous thing... :D

Cheers to the longs!
Within 5 yrs, 4 mths Elon will need to sell ~150 MILLION shares of TSLA just to pay the income taxes he'll owe on executing his CEO stock options before they expire.
5 years 1 month, plan expires January 20, 2028.
Look at the limits - first the lower time frame: Elon's excercise price is around $23/share. If the SP was still at that level (it was there 50 mths ago), then he'd owe NO INCOME TAXES (no net gain). He'd just need the $7B in cash in order to excercise the shares.
This won't happen. It is identical to Elon just buying shares with nothing to show for his compensation plan.
Now let's look at the Upper Limit - for convenience let's just call it the ATH of $412 from Nov 4, 2021. If Elon sells 150M shares to pay his imcome taxes at $421, he gets nothing, the Gov't gets $62B, and WORSE for TSLA shareholders, $62B in capital is extracted from the Market.
Your saying no net on the sold shares?
He gets 304*(412-23.33)*50=$59B in shares or 143M shares. Really, a bit more because CA tax is further diluted by time.

So that's the estimate of our ratio of Elon's selling to the drop in Mkt Cap: Elon sold ~$40B in shares and it cost $500B in Mkt Cap, so that's approx a 12:1 ratio of shorting to selling.
Assuming the two events are directly correlated and there were no other factors.
I would disagree with those conditions.

How can we avoid this? Elon has to excercise all his stock options at a SP low enough that he can pay the income taxes in cash. And given the number of shares involved, it's better if he can afford to but more with any set amnt of cash he may have, then he'll have to sell half of the rest to pay the taxes. It's just that simple.
1. He'd be hurting himself selling the shares low
2. Cash used for this could have been put in TSLA previously.
3. Possibly he could get a loan against the shares to cover part of the taxes, but that requires selling later

And that's best case, if he still have the fire in his belly after this decades long grind. Maybe he'll want to get out, maybe he'll want to stay in (we're generally not helping ATM).
He must hold the shares for five years after exercise.

Short reply to this one:
Second related strategy is for Tesla to buy Elon's shares that he needs to sell for tax purposes. However, then the same arguement applies: the lower the SP, the more Tesla can afford to buy, and there's up to 150M shares needing buying. That's already $7B even if the SP got down to the excercise price.
If share price were $23.33, there is no reason for Elon to even exercise them. They have no value and tgere are no taxes. It would be identical to just buying shares.

I’m actually nauseous from the SP, for the first time since 2019, lol. It’s been forever since the stock had a little bounce. I agree that a lot of the drop is contributed to margin calls, emotion, panic and what not, but there must also be COMPLETE doubt that Tesla will guide anywhere near the 2023 EPS estimates. I have a legitimate question, not trying to create FUD. Could the S&P kick TSLA out if they had a year of negative profits? What are the rules?
Amd is still in the S&P and they lost money for a decade after 2008.

Its not. But the post I made when it was at $140 and i stated that it "had more downward room to go" got moved to "snippiness", so Im hesitant to say how far further down I think it will go
I am interested in peoples views about how low the stock can go and the reasoning to help me time further buys.

I think the first quarter of next year will be difficult due to the effect of higher interest rates and China letting covid work its way through its population.

So I am thinking quarter 2 might be a good time to buy.

• Funny
Reactions: ShareLofty and GOVA
If share price were $23.33, there is no reason for Elon to even exercise them. They have no value and tgere are no taxes. It would be identical to just buying shares.

Not on the day of, but if those shares go to $412 in a few years (after capital gains apply), this is extremely valuable.

Like "20x on $7B" valuable, with unlimited upside. TE should be raking in Auto-biz type $$$ by 2028, TN should be a growing concern, and Optimus could be ready for Prime time...

E. sees a path to Tesla becoming the most valuable company in the world in 5 years. That's 2028. ;)

I am interested in peoples views about how low the stock can go and the reasoning to help me time further buys.

I think the first quarter of next year will be difficult due to the effect of higher interest rates and China letting covid work its way through its population.

So I am thinking quarter 2 might be a good time to buy.
An additional factor i have as a hypothesis is the S&P inclusion leaps expiration. I am sure there are other side of the bets who want these to be never ITM. As I'm looking at Jan 20 2023, I'm not sure how much of a factor these old Leaps still are.

You are missing the entire Taiga for the forest, nevermind the trees: Within 5 yrs, 4 mths Elon will need to sell ~150 MILLION shares of TSLA just to pay the income taxes he'll owe on executing his CEO stock options before they expire.

How do you think Elon selling 150M shares within 5 yrs affects the SP? That's 30M/yr avg EACH YEAR. That's more than he sold in 2021, and more than he sold in 2022. EVERY YEAR, unless he sells them all at once (either ASAP, or as late as possible).

Look at the limits - first the lower time frame: Elon's excercise price is around $23/share. If the SP was still at that level (it was there 50 mths ago), then he'd owe NO INCOME TAXES (no net gain). He'd just need the $7B in cash in order to excercise the shares. Now as @mongo showed us upthread today, Elon can get that cash by selling half the shares (ouch), or by shaking his OTHER couches to find a space $7B. Then let the SP ride up over time, and pay just capital gains taxes on subsequent sales.

View attachment 889278

Now let's look at the Upper Limit - for convenience let's just call it the ATH of $412 from Nov 4, 2021. If Elon sells 150M shares to pay his imcome taxes at $421, he gets nothing, the Gov't gets $62B, and WORSE for TSLA shareholders, $62B in capital is extracted from the Market. What effect do you think that will have on Tesla's Market Cap?

Let's use the past 13 mths as a guide. Sure some of this drop is macros. Let's factor that out: QQQ down 33% since Nov 4, 2021 while TSLA is down 72.5%. Let's attribute ALL of the difference to Elon selling TSLA and bears jumping in on the shorting opportunity. That's a 40% drop in Mkt Cap, or roughly -500B in Mkt Cap due to the selling.

So that's the estimate of our ratio of Elon's selling to the drop in Mkt Cap: Elon sold ~$40B in shares and it cost $500B in Mkt Cap, so that's approx a 12:1 ratio of shorting to selling. And that's how you estimate how Elon selling 150M shares within 5 years would affect the Mkt Cap: it'd have about the same affect as selling 1.8B shares of TSLA which is roughly 80% of the float. Yeah. Gulp. This is an unavoidable future, IMO. There IS NO dark pool big enough to float 1.8B shares of TSLA. Even the S&P 500 addtion as only about 600M shares (about a third of the selling Elon needs to do)

Where do you think that would leave the SP? Below $23? At what point in selling can he execute and not pay any income taxes? Do you see the point I'm trying to make is that BOTH alternatives (sell now, or wait to the end) winds up with a substantial dip in the SP, and Elon selling most of his shares in a lump while paying minimal taxes? Isn't it better to do this sooner, get the disruption over with, so the company can built value back into its SP?

How can we avoid this? Elon has to excercise all his stock options at a SP low enough that he can pay the income taxes in cash. And given the number of shares involved, it's better if he can afford to but more with any set amnt of cash he may have, then he'll have to sell half of the rest to pay the taxes. It's just that simple. And that's best case, if he still have the fire in his belly after this decades long grind. Maybe he'll want to get out, maybe he'll want to stay in (we're generally not helping ATM).

At any rate, this is my profound hope. And hope is a dangerous thing... :D

Cheers to the longs!
Huge wall of text....
Counter...
He could have sold in the dark market without killing the price.
He would have made MORE money. The stock would be higher.
But a few guys on wall street would have made money too, and he did not like that.

Huge wall of text....
Counter...
But a few guys on wall street would have made money too, and he did not like that.

Counter... Elon selling on the Open Market increased the float in a transparent way (which must be shown in the S&P 500 float, and therefore TSLA weight in the NDX)

P.S. how far up did you climb that "wall"? Did you make it to the "this ends up the same way no matter when Elon sells?"

Not on the day of, but if those shares go to $412 in a few years (when capital gains apply), this is extremely valuable.

Like "20x on $7B" valuable, with unlimited upside. TE should be raking in Auto-biz type $$$ by 2028, TN should be a growing concern, and Optimus could be ready for Prime time...

E. sees a path to Tesla becoming the most valuable company in the world in 5 years. That's 2028. ;)
That's just him buying 7B in shares, no link to the 2018 plan. An option with 23 dollar basis when the stock is 23 has zero value. At $24, he grosses $304M
If he had cash to buy shares he could/ would when TSLA is low.

Regarding Tesla & the execution:
Tesla logs a tax deduction at execution based on the gross value to Elon. Impact of this is @The Accountant's domain, especially with the 15% corporate tax rule in play.

Huge wall of text....
Counter...

Elon's ideology of selling shares to open market like average Joe used to be fun and games when stock is at all time high ( Just to smudge at Elizabeth Warren because he claimed that he paid more tax than needed). Now selling open market on the way down is tasteless and lack of thoughts.

I'm still waiting for 2023 Q1 moment of "burnt hair" from Tesla. Are we expecting new CEO, sub 35k compact, revised Model 3/Y, as well as new GIGA Factories?

Time to close ranks......it appears the relatively-flat last couple hours is the battle of TSLA's last line of TA support - the 3-year trend line. It looks and feels as though we have arrived at the line in the sand Wall Street has chosen. This is Sparta-level Epic from a TA perspective. This isn't Max Pain or Weekly Options trading. Which is probably why there is so much trolling and psychological warfare on TMC today. And TSLA is not alone in this battle. Gonna be a lot of head fakes between now and Friday's closing bell.

1672169887963.png

Time to close ranks......it appears the relatively-flat last couple hours is the battle of TSLA's last line of TA support - the 3-year trend line. It looks and feels as though we have arrived at the line in the sand Wall Street has chosen. This is Sparta-level Epic from a TA perspective. This isn't Max Pain or Weekly Options trading. Which is probably why there is so much trolling and psychological warfare on TMC today. And TSLA is not alone in this battle. Gonna be a lot of head fakes between now and Friday's closing bell.

View attachment 889311
looks to me more like they don't want to trigger the uptick rule

I doubt that. There is only enough for 1000 per week and the Model Y has plenty of run rate to absorb this in Texas with the structural design.
It is a stretch. We don't know how many 4680 lines are ready to go live. The 1000/wk is a mere dot on a curve. They could stockpile for CyberTruck like they did with the early castings, or feed a Semi ramp right now (edit, not semi thx). Yes, that's more likely, but I also think we're long overdue for a surprise. So here's my best guess, then I'm back to work.

This inventory cleaning, combined with a Jan 1st deadline for Q4 holds on purchasing new vehicles (quite specific in a couple of instances here including mine, extended to Jan 1st but no later). So why would Jan 1st be relevant on a Sunday with Markets closed? Like why would knowing the # of vehicles sold in Q4 matter, unless something else was disclosed?

New pricing Jan 2nd could be the strategy. It might confirm a demand slump, but what if it's in conjunction with insane Q4 #s combined with insane production ramps at all Factories? It would be a final blow to competitors as the transition could even accelerate. Wow, TSLA about to get more volatile? Let that sink in.

Last edited:
looks to me more like they don't want to trigger the uptick rule
TSLA has traded down hard to this point, but appears to have pulled back to 'test' the landing over the last week or so. II am not suggesting whether or not the landing pad will hold - just that this price range has been on the radar for a while as one that needs testing.

1672170631350.png