Welcome to Tesla Motors Club
Discuss Tesla's Model S, Model 3, Model X, Model Y, Cybertruck, Roadster and More.
Register

Tesla, TSLA & the Investment World: the Perpetual Investors' Roundtable

This site may earn commission on affiliate links.
As usual I'm here to be the pessimistic sounding board, and Europe is currently in a much worse spot economically than North America.

A few recent observations:

- Today I went to my local Tesla store (Duiven, The Netherlands) to check out the new Model S. I’m considering trading in my P100D for a Plaid. The store manager had trouble finding time for me because he was constantly helping people with their scheduled test drives of Model Y and Model 3. He showed me the agenda: ‘almost every day is fully booked’, he said, ‘it started when Tesla dropped the prices’. He managed to squeeze me in for a test drive on Thursday, one of just a few spots left.

- On my way there, going east, I saw two trailers full of Model Ys heading west. White and Quicksilver, so built in GF Berlin.

- Last Friday I visited the big Autosalon in Brussels, where almost all car brands were present. The Tesla stand was extremely crowded, already early in the morning. I checked out all the competition and saw their prices: often €10-15k more expensive. The only brand that positively surprised me with their prices (more or less equal to Tesla’s), design and quality of materials was BYD. I think these two brands might just rule the world.

anyone else sick of this guy

over the past several months he constantly drummed up the
  • Twitter overhang narrative
  • Tesla brand damage
  • advertising needed
  • sharebuyback when stock was much higher
he did this so he could shake weak longs so he could scoop up discount shares for his fund

now he has shifted to cheerleading and and focusing on positives ...
both him and Ross Gerber initially had my support but upon further review they do not represent retail holders as they claim to...
they are Wall St thieves pretending to care about retail investors plain and simple

Last edited:
What the heck... let's just round off the stock to an even 145 today.

1674512647944.png

OK, back to work...

he did this so he could shake weak longs so he could scoop up discount shares for his fund
I think you give him too much credit.

He's just a flake who's sentiment blows with the wind. He panics easily and seemingly recommends trading on lightly held sentiments.

Ross Gerber I think is trying to make a play for a board position for his own enrichment.

• Tesla brand damage
  • advertising needed

both him and Ross Gerber initially had my support but upon further review they do not represent retail holders as they claim to...
they are Wall St thieves pretending to care about retail investors plain and simple
Both Gary and Ross have their own agendas, and as they serve their clients, they should never be confused with the interest we retail investors have. IMO they do some good analysis and some are completely off base. I've argued with both of them, e.g. about the so-called Twitter overhang, which I think is an illusion, about advertising, which Tesla doesn't need, or about the fact that they should join the board. Still, it's good to have them as they can communicate with the MSM and help correct the false narrative.

Quote from the article:
“Tesla has taken the nuclear option to bully the weaker, thin margin players off the table,” Bill Russo, a spokesperson for Shanghai-based industry consultancy Automobility, told Reuters.

Oh, that Elon is such a big bad bully! First, he taunts car buyers by making a whole bunch of really nice cars that they can't even hope to buy, then he bullies his competitors by lowering the prices so customers can actually afford them, so the cars don't just sit there!

Somebody needs to step in and stop the arrogant bully that thinks he can boss taunt and bully everyone involved! His upstanding competitors are trying to play nice, but Elon can't help but to be a big, spoiled bully trying to stop them from getting their fair share! He needs to learn how to play by the long-established rules. Bullying is not acceptable in 2023! /s

• Tesla brand damage
  • advertising needed

I really like Gary Black. He gives you both the positives and the negatives and in a very calm and reasonable manner. You can disagree with his conclusions but I think he's pretty much giving you the truth as he sees it. And I tend to agree with him about most things. I like Gerber too, but definitely take a lot of what he says with a grain of salt. Gary strikes me as much more measured. I think his motives are much more clear and straightforward than what you are suggesting. He has a lot riding of the success of $TSLA and he is clearly still a big believer in the company long term and has always been a cheerleader. But part of this, in his mind, is pointing out areas where Tesla can do better. Even while he was "drumming" up those negatives, he was still actively touting the notion that $TSLA is a great long term buy and hold.

And, as for the buybacks, as he's pointed out...the buyback doesn't just happen all at once. The board approves the buyback and then those shares are purchased over a period of time, usually a year or more.

Remember when making too much noise with a Tesla was recalled because of safety?

So if they do that anyone can file an NHTSA complaint and get their soundmaker recalled? (Since a given model/year of an EV vehicle can only make one sound and the driver isn't allowed to change it. Unless of course that is the sound they always make.)

Last edited:
Both Gary and Ross have their own agendas, and as they serve their clients, they should never be confused with the interest we retail investors have. IMO they do some good analysis and some are completely off base. I've argued with both of them, e.g. about the so-called Twitter overhang, which I think is an illusion, about advertising, which Tesla doesn't need, or about the fact that they should join the board. Still, it's good to have them as they can communicate with the MSM and help correct the false narrative.
I think Ross was in favor of the Twitter acquisition, wasn't he? I don't think he was a fan of some of Elon's tweets.

Gary, I think, was right about Twitter, but probably for the wrong reasons. He characterized the overhang as the period of uncertainty prior to the close of the sale. Turns out the close of the sale was the actual problem with Elon flooding the market with a ton of shares. I think that's definitely part of the narrative of the $TSLA drop over the last year, though certainly not the whole narrative.

• Tesla brand damage
  • advertising needed

When your fund is down 40% for 2022, the last thing you wanna do is to "shake out weak longs."

Wow. Just browsed my various EV news groups on Facebook. All those sneak leaked (or whatever they call them) images of the superchargers with the magic doc are on every Facebook EV group. People are over the top with excitement about being able to charge at Superchargers. Some of the Mach E dudes had planned on selling their cars to buy Teslas. Now they are hangin in their for awhile to see how fast the roll out goes. Personally I think it will take a couple years to roll out the magic doc thingy. But the word is out. Most are quoting the Inside EV link but there seems to be a few different stories out there.

I wonder if the other DCFC providers are concerned.

• Tesla brand damage
  • advertising needed

While he definitely has his own agenda, so do you. So does everyone. But im fairly certain the agenda requires the stock to go up. His not trying to shake any longs out. Not to mention those weak longs may also be part of his fund. What his saying is also meant to give his fund holders some perspective on what's happening to their largest position.

His fund is down like 30-40%, if it drops anymore this year his probably going to get shaken out himself.

The way I see it is just his commenting and using the platforms given to him to gain some fame and free advertising for his fund. You know his name don't you? So it's working.

Well yeah not yet being matched to a buyer is the definition of an inventory item, or are you saying these vehicles are listed for purchase right now but are actually sold and just in transit? I don't think the latter would be the case, the listings themselves are presented as individual VINs ready for buyers at their respective locations.

I have no doubt these were just in transit from China though. Whatever the listings represent in reality, I'm pretty sure the numbers were much lower recently and have nary been this high. Pretty sure anyways, I had been more focused on domestic numbers lately and those are still trending down for the 3/Y.
Tesla doesn't count them as sold until delivered to a customer, so some percentage of those in transit will have customers already. Possibly a high percentage. Inventory in transit is not the same as inventory on a lot. And each showroom should have one of each for demos or immediate sale.

How can this be legal? I live in a city and I like to sleep at night. It was not even okay even when drivers pretended their engine had to rattle only to propel tones of metal a few meters. We made laws to force EV to make noise even where there's not a person in sight. Maybe we should prevent cars to make unnecessary noise and let the world be at peace. Maybe?
Around here, many cars and trucks are at least that loud. It's very annoying, but noise laws are not often enforced.