Welcome to Tesla Motors Club
Discuss Tesla's Model S, Model 3, Model X, Model Y, Cybertruck, Roadster and More.
Register

Tesla, TSLA & the Investment World: the Perpetual Investors' Roundtable

This site may earn commission on affiliate links.
Hmm 17 ships with 2000+ Teslas on each? Solid chance that's more EVs than GM or Ford produced in the entire previous 12 months. On the water floating to their final delivery point. Not counting Teslas on trains, Semi car carriers, or sitting on a lot waiting for the Uber to pick up the customer.
I appreciate the general idea of your post but just to set the record straight, Ford did manage to sell 61,575 EV’s in 2022. I didn’t bother looking up GM’s # because the bolt is a joke and the hummer is irrelevant.

“In 2022, Ford more than doubled its BEV sales to 61,575 units, which is a new record and represents 3.3 percent of the total volume”

Edit: to add link

Last edited:
FSD Transfer and I'd pull the trigger today (as I bet a lot of people would)!
I cancelled my order of the new MS ( reserved Jan 2020) because my current MS comes with full FSD capability AND lifelong free SC. And, I think the new blinker config is bad. Still have a CT res. I specifically asked for transfer of both though…

And with relation to the stonk/ investors related stuff, the recent „pull back“ ( year 2022) did not help either….

Tesla China figures:

Important to note that the factory was shut down for a long period - so through these domestic sales numbers and combined with exports - it is likely inventory was drawn down significantly.

EDIT: original tweet has been corrected with much larger number:

C641C4B5-26E1-4298-AC05-F0F19285E531.jpeg

Attachments

• 07616A1C-C846-4F2C-B40F-5A6B7686DC7B.jpeg
    07616A1C-C846-4F2C-B40F-5A6B7686DC7B.jpeg
    286.5 KB · Views: 112
Last edited:
No - I'm specifically wondering that which I wrote, which is what, in the context of that bureaucratese, the word "should" means. If the word used was "shall", it is extremely obvious that it is mandatory. "May" also is not ambiguous. But - literally - I do not know what "should" is implying. To me, it could mean that a faceless bureaucrat in Department F, Sub unit 3b has the leeway to approve or deny, possibly as a function of what from what side of the bed she exited that morning. It also could mean someone is guilty of sloppy writing. I also know that in most cases, there exists a lexicon clarifying what a particular authority's allowable terminology means. Perhaps you know, perhaps you do not. I do not.

But remember: this post is being written by someone who oft has written: Words matter. This discussion is an example of why I find it important.

In a legal document, "should" is used to indicate something non-mandatory, whereas "shall" is mandatory.

Having said that, there is another place "CCS" is used. Take a look at page 12:

To me that reads like a restriction on NEVI funding that can only be satisfied with CCS.

My guess is that Tesla won't challenge this, and will go ahead with their magic dock.
Ha, ha, I laugh at the idea that spec writing and word selection matters to them...

Inflation Reduction Act:
"‘‘(B) DEADLINE FOR PROPOSED GUIDANCE.—Not later than December 31, 2022, the Secretary shall issue proposed guidance with respect to the requirements under this subsection.’’."

You know, the stuff they are releasing in March...

I am really thinking of giving up.

We bought our car in 2017 And we love driving it. because of our experience we bought TSLA which appreciated like crazy so much so that at one time we earned as much that we drove the car for free. My mistake last year is not cashing out on TSLA

We were sold on the out Model X with FSD being an appreciating asset. Soon we could deploy it as a Robotaxi so Elon told us. Our car has free unlimited supercharging and the future looked bright.

Last year the issues came. the stock price went down so we were not as rich as we thought we would be. We had some major repair bills on our Model X mounting to over $10,000 (front suspension. Lower and under arms etc). We thought it was a one of thing and that this year would be better. Last month we found out that we needed new front calipers, brake disks and pad. Again more than $3,000 repair bill.

Yesterday we drove and our heater stopped working. just got back an estimate of $2,200.

All these costs on top of a huge tax bill because of all the stocks we needed to sell last year.

We looked online about the average repair bill for a Model X and we don’t come near anything that is being said there.

As much as we love driving our Model X, we are seriously considering selling all our stocks and selling the car and start driving a”normal” car again. We never had these kind of repair bills on our old car (I remember most was $1,000 for an air conditioning repair). It is now 2023 and all the nice words of Elon were just that, nice words. He keeps doing that as V11 FSD is also nowhere to be found. I blame myself for not having cashed out when stocks were high. I never in my wildest dreams thought that TSLA would sink as low as it did. I also blame myself to being so gullible in believing Elon and the whole Tesla story.

It really hurts. I love driving the car. There is is nothing else like it, but having a $2,000 repair bill each month is unsustainable especially if there is nothing like a Robotaxi or appreciating TSLA to compensate that. I am sad man.
I feel your pain, but sugar happens sometimes with all cars. Personally, I owned a C Class MB that cost me a dollar a mile out of warranty. $5000 twice for air conditioning repair and other too numerous to list. Cars from every manufacturer can be money pits. You sound like you should trade for a different car, but you can get a bad one from any manufacturer. Good luck.

In case you know how to read it (I've never looked at one before) but didn't notice that a Tesla FORM 10-K is out - https://www.sec.gov/Archives/edgar/data/1318605/000095017023001409/tsla-20221231.htm
The $4.3B is mostly certificates of deposit and time deposits dated over three months out. Looks like they shifted out of money market funds to purchase.
SmartSelect_20230131_070936_Firefox.jpg

They are listed as short term investments, not cash equivalents,
SmartSelect_20230131_071758_Firefox.jpg

so are >3 months out:
All highly liquid investments with an original maturity of three months or less at the date of purchase are considered cash equivalents. Our cash equivalents are primarily comprised of money market funds and certificates of deposit.

In general:
Investments may be comprised of a combination of marketable securities, including U.S. government securities, corporate debt securities, time deposit, and certain certificates of deposit, which are all designated as available-for-sale and reported at estimated fair value, with unrealized gains and losses recorded in accumulated other comprehensive income which is included within stockholders’ equity. Available-for-sale marketable securities with maturities greater than three months at the date of purchase are included in short-term investments in our consolidated balance sheets. Interest, dividends, amortization and accretion of purchase premiums and discounts on these investments are included within Interest income in our consolidated statements of operations.

Like me.

Tesla is just waiting for those cars to go to the junk yard so that they don’t have to fund our travels anymore.
I will some day get tired of waiting and buy the latest Model S.
As I suspect many of us have found, after having had two Teslas with Free connectivity and Supercharging inswitched to a Model S Plaid with neither. I never paid much attention to how much I used Supercharging. Since the last 11/2 years with the Plaid I realize I’ve used Supercharging rarely. Why? First, tge range is better so I always stay at hotels with free charging, charge at home, and only have needed to use Supercharging on the rare long daily trips.

Driving on road trips in Europe I always end out at Superchargers because of much, much higher typical driving speeds. Even so, I suspect it mostly has psychological value to charge for free. Obviously there are edge cases for which the value would be enormous, which are a main reason why Tesla discontinued the practice.

As an investor I favor the explicit pricing.