Welcome to Tesla Motors Club
Discuss Tesla's Model S, Model 3, Model X, Model Y, Cybertruck, Roadster and More.
Register

Tesla, TSLA & the Investment World: the Perpetual Investors' Roundtable

This site may earn commission on affiliate links.
Saw this when it was first revealed... looks like a great idea. But... not sure it's the Cybertruck's wiper.

Unless the Beta production units simply have that monster implantation because they didn't want to reveal the working side-to-side vertical wipers until they had the patent? Maybe we will see one like that at Investor Day.

It certainly seems to favour flat windshields, and helps avoid drilling a huge hole in the glass, which is a big weak point for all sorts of things, strength, noise, cracks and so on

I'm not sure what it is.
Assuming the tooling is red, it looks like a hodge podge of pieces, unless the long white midsection is a gripper for the frame. Possibly, it's a place holder for a vehicle.
As to what vehicle? The front end corners seem tall, which makes me think a low to the ground vehicle like Roadster. Especially given what looks like an axle portal.
View attachment 907311
It looks like an assembly jig to me. My guess is it's for either the Cybertruck or Model Y.

I wasn't indicating my personal investment philosophy, just curious about the spectrum of posters here. I will admit I'm surprised to see a good handful mention that they are 100% Tesla or close to it, that's all.

As far as why I'm hanging out here, I simply choose to. Tesla is the only single stock I own. I see the potential for the company to grow amazingly, as I assume most here do. Is 100% Tesla AA required to participate in the thread?
You're new here, but it's a good question.

FYI, back in late 2021 we ran an investors poll that got 360 forum member responses. Some claimed it wasn't scientific, but I still believe it's better than anecdotes.

Back then, of survey respondents, 85% had more than 50% of our portfolio's invested in TSLA, and 76% of us had >50% of our total assets in TSLA (incl. home and other property)! I think it's safe to assume this forum represents a more TSLA-bullish and risk-tolerant investor than the general public. :)

On the down side, TSLA has dropped 49% since 5 Nov., 2021. :rolleyes: Did I mention risk? ;)

Forms response chart. Question title: What % of your investments are in TSLA?. Number of responses: 360 responses.

Forms response chart. Question title: What approx. % of your assets (investments plus home, property, etc.) are in TSLA?. Number of responses: 358 responses.

I put a limit buy order in last night at 190 on an account that can only trade during normal hours. So of course the stock is up today. Over 200 now.

Apparently I should have just made it a market order to get it around 192.

So you are on TMC at work but don't have access to your personal email? Understand your priorities:).

Low was 189.45 this morning. Did it not hit?

It actually hit at 190 exactly. I just glanced at the sharp upslope this morning and assumed I made a mistake. Turns out I got away with it.

Elon filed his annual SC 13G/A* for 2022 today. It lists both his TSLA shares held as of Dec 31, 2022 and share options:

Item 4.

Ownership.

Provide the following information regarding the aggregate number and percentage of the class of securities of the issuer identified in Item 1.

(a)​

Amount beneficially owned: 716,022,963 shares which includes (i) 412,051,833 shares of Common Stock held by the Elon Musk Revocable Trust dated July 22, 2003 and (ii) options to purchase 303,971,130 shares of Common Stock that are exercisable within 60 days of December 31, 2022.​

(b)​

Percent of class: 20.6% (percentage ownership is calculated based on 3,163,685,267 shares of Common Stock outstanding as of December 31, 2022 and assumes that the shares of Common Stock underlying the stock options are deemed outstanding pursuant to SEC Rule 13d-3(d)(1)(i)).​

Notes on the purpose of SEC Schedule 13G/A:

Key Takeaways
  • Securities and Exchange Commission (SEC) Schedule 13G form is used to report a party's ownership of stock which exceeds 5% of a company's total stock issue. ...
  • Schedule 13G is a shorter version of Schedule 13D with fewer reporting requirements.

Certainly not…it’s just what tends to happen if you hang out here long enough.

I don’t think any of us started with the plan of being all-in. But then either the share appreciation dwarfed our other holdings, or we rage bought all the dips. Or both. And here we are.
Yup, TSLA was a very small % for me at first, too. I'm selling my worst-performing/worst potential return positions right now as I'm building a Net Zero house in paradise (reducing our cost of living), which is making my portfolio considerably less diverse... And when I sell a few too many shares, I have this habit of buying more TSLA...

I'll consider taking a bit of profit close to ATH again, but only a tiny bit to buy extra solar panels or upgrade our vehicles or something. I only regret not using 100% of my Canadian TFSA's for TSLA. 😭 I was trying to reassure my wife that I'm not reckless, and locked in some GIC's at 5%. Oops...

I see neither frame nor body nor axel, and the Cybertruck is supposed to be a monocoque design without a ladder sort of frame.

Cybertruck is engineered to be as strong and light as possible. That means almost every component will be structural (like the battery) and they will all work together to provide the needed strength. You will not see heavy ladder frames with heavy non-structural bodies and beds floating on top, every piece will contribute to the strength and will only be as substantial as needed for the desired strength. In a high speed collision, the parts need to fail gracefully, in unison, which means any members supporting the front and rear gigacastings will be lightly built with more protection around the battery perimeter and occupant compartment.

It looks like we are seeing the robot picking up a light frame that is sufficiently rigid to align and hold the front and rear castings together before the battery and stainless shell is attached. It looks like an assembly that could be manufactured very quickly and accurately at low cost while remaining very lightweight and contributing to the structural cohesiveness of the finished vehicle in a crash.

They have to contain the battery somehow. The Model Y with the structural pack has sides as well.

If it’s not the Cybertruck… what is it? It’s definitely not a Model Y or Model X. Doesn’t seem to be a semi, though that is possible I suppose.

I tried to perspective correct it and project it onto a Cybertruck and it’s in the ballpark.

View attachment 907299

Maybe it’s a part of a Megapack XL?