Welcome to Tesla Motors Club
Discuss Tesla's Model S, Model 3, Model X, Model Y, Cybertruck, Roadster and More.
Register

Tesla, TSLA & the Investment World: the Perpetual Investors' Roundtable

This site may earn commission on affiliate links.
Kids soccer field butts up to Los Alamitos Joint Air Base and I finally got close enough to verify that the long white cabinets are indeed Tesla Megapacks. There's at least 6 of them.
PXL_20230216_012525487.jpg

Last edited:
Well, can't go back and edit, but now that I actually checked my account, the order went through at $208.80! Even better. It was a $210 limit order so a little better than I expected. New to the single stock game, this is fun! I have about 50 more shares to buy before investors day. Yes, I'm a tiny fish 😁 😁

Also, for those that missed it, nick name is Bear, and own a Tesla, hence the username!
We all gotta start somewhere, @TesslaBear! You're on the right path (so say us) :) Wish you success!

That could be true if Tesla wasn't intending to double the number of chargers.

Initially I expect that the majority of chargers open to other brands will be new builds. Opening existing chargers might be slower?

This partially depends on how generous the scheme is.

Tesla needs to ramp up supercharging anyway to support the ramp up of vechicle production. My perspective is that the US government is funding part of that.

The only car companies cspable of ramping EV production volumes at the same rste as Tesla are the Chinese. The combination of the IRA and tarrifs make the US a more challenging market for the Chinese, export to the EU is much easier.

The IRA means that Tesla is more US focused, doubling the number of chargers is probably only in yhe US for now. But in many other countries good fast chsrging alternatives also exist.
Just look at the data. Never mind any other brands, in aggregate Tesla chargers are lagging behind the Tesla fleet globally :

1676508492651.png

Well, can't go back and edit, but now that I actually checked my account, the order went through at $208.80! Even better. It was a $210 limit order so a little better than I expected. New to the single stock game, this is fun! I have about 50 more shares to buy before investors day. Yes, I'm a tiny fish 😁 😁

Also, for those that missed it, nick name is Bear, and own a Tesla, hence the username!
Well now you've done it. Took that first baby step. Welcome!

I look forward to seeing whether you remain an index fund investor with 3-5% put aside for bets like TSLA. Or turn into a degenerate, all-in, rage buying HODLer like many of us here.

Heads up! Greentheonly on twitter has apparently cracked open a HW4 casing and is spilling all kinds of info that I'm too dumb to fully understand like there's a sonar and 11 cameras (and maybe a spare) and there is no way to retrofit any HW3 cars. Good luck deciphering all that!
Radar, not sonar (Ultrasonics)

Just look at the data. Never mind any other brands, in aggregate Tesla chargers are lagging behind the Tesla fleet globally :

View attachment 907666
Yes, so most of the expansion Tesla needs to do anyway, and keeping up with an rapidly expanding Tesla fleet is a big challenge.

The IRA is chipping in some handy money, I think at the new stalls > 70% of the time a Tesla will be plugged in, and whoever is plugged in, Tesla will be making some money,

The IRA policy is also effective in achieving it's aims, because it changes the narrative.

Every country can use more fast chargers, Australia is no exception, but in addition to Tesla, we have some other useful charging networks. Progress is being made, perhaps not yet fast enough.

Last edited:
Well now you've done it. Took that first baby step. Welcome!

I look forward to seeing whether you remain an index fund investor with 3-5% put aside for bets like TSLA. Or turn into a degenerate, all-in, rage buying HODLer like many of us here.
Thank you sir! I have about another 50 shares to purchase.....I'm tempted to grab the rest tomorrow......seems like there's lots of little things happening that are going to just keep the SP creeping up until investors day.....who the heck knows what kind of craziness will ensue then lol!

Maybe I'll put in a $210 limit order when the market opens.....

Why would anybody imagine that the number of superchargers should track the number of vehicles linearly?
I agree, some are needed for corridors and holiday destinations (as base to explore areas) - initially a bare minimum widely spaced. Later, more sites & connectors to fill in gaps to avoid going out of your way or suboptimal charging. Once the density is great enough, you can skip temporarily overloaded sites & go to the next one.

Also, other networks are adding - especially in Europe (where Tesla use same CCS2 connector as most others). Probably same in China, Australia etc.

The North America situation is a bit different, big distances & 2 different plug designs in widespread use. However, you don't need to double Tesla connectors for double the cars. You also don't need sites 10 miles apart (in most cases).

The preferred setup seems to depend on congestion.

From my own (limited) experiences, I like lots of connectors at fewer sites when traffic flows easily, but the other way around if a detour saps time. Travelling through Germany I preferred a high connector/site ratio and for UK - maybe more sites with fewer connectors (awful traffic congestion for the most part - small detours can be slow).

Some sites seem to take years. I don't think the delays are usually due to Tesla, it's everyone else. That's why I hope the USA federal programme includes some way to expedite installs, especially power provision, but also permits. If delays are swept away, Tesla can adapt with pre-built concrete installs trucked to sites or other innovations. That would be a win for Gov, Tesla & other EV users ie the mission.

Last edited:
Not sure if real or not :)

View attachment 907621
They better take care of the older 150kW 6-8 charger spots, which there are plenty of. Tesla needs to quadruple those and make them faster as well. I am not looking forward to waiting in lane with Leaf, Kia or whatever else there is.

Those who supercharge often on trips should know what I am talking about.

Details might change due to federal funding requirements, but here's a Rivian charging at a Tesla charger at a Supercharger site in Winston-Salem, North Carolina (USA) -

It's using the Tesla app as you would in Europe/Australia (I believe). I'm not sure if QR codes are used in Europe, I thought it was a number/identifier that had to be entered/selected.

8 month old UK video of BMW on Supercharger -

Oh, USA one is AC, not DC, a whole 11kW

Last edited:

Sorry, Bear is the wrong name for this forum. I think it’s against the rules.