Welcome to Tesla Motors Club
Discuss Tesla's Model S, Model 3, Model X, Model Y, Cybertruck, Roadster and More.
Register

Tesla, TSLA & the Investment World: the Perpetual Investors' Roundtable

This site may earn commission on affiliate links.
For Investor day what I feel was missing wasnt stuff hidden in the details. For analysts having more plain metrics would have been helpful for summary purposes.

What is current production volume out of Giga Texas for Model Y? What is expectation by Q3, Q4, 2024.
Same for 4680 production.
Same for Giga Berlin production.
What is planned launch Quarter for CyberTruck? Production expectation for Q3, Q4, 2024.
What is Semi production volume? How many you expect to produce in 2023, 2024.
What is Megapack production out of Lathrop? Again quarter by quarter expectations.
What is Powerwall production? Again quarter by quarter expectations.
What is Solar installation volume? Again quarter by quarter expectations.
What is Solar roof production volume?

Etc. etc.

As for the $25K car. It is not a good idea to announce until right before production starts. Do all you can do to keep the car underwraps. Hide everything you can because the car lingering coming soon will introduce competition for the Model 3 and Model Y. Dont know if you can say that, but it is the smart thing to do. As for a Van I think they could have announced that sometime after CyberTruck launches we will make a CyberVan.
We are seeing a lot of these numbers each quarter in SH deck. That was never the point of yesterdays event.

For Investor day what I feel was missing wasnt stuff hidden in the details. For analysts having more plain metrics would have been helpful for summary purposes.

What is current production volume out of Giga Texas for Model Y? What is expectation by Q3, Q4, 2024.
Same for 4680 production.
Same for Giga Berlin production.
What is planned launch Quarter for CyberTruck? Production expectation for Q3, Q4, 2024.
What is Semi production volume? How many you expect to produce in 2023, 2024.
What is Megapack production out of Lathrop? Again quarter by quarter expectations.
What is Powerwall production? Again quarter by quarter expectations.
What is Solar installation volume? Again quarter by quarter expectations.
What is Solar roof production volume?

Etc. etc.

As for the $25K car. It is not a good idea to announce until right before production starts. Do all you can do to keep the car underwraps. Hide everything you can because the car lingering coming soon will introduce competition for the Model 3 and Model Y. Dont know if you can say that, but it is the smart thing to do. As for a Van I think they could have announced that sometime after CyberTruck launches we will make a CyberVan.
Question: Why treat the $25k car differently than they've treated announcement timeline of Cybertruck, Roadster (where is the update on that, by the way? Im sure the investors who are awaiting their free referral roadsters would have liked at least a brief status update) and previous models?

Question: Why treat the $25k car differently than they've treated announcement timeline of Cybertruck, Roadster (where is the update on that, by the way? Im sure the investors who are awaiting their free referral roadsters would have liked at least a brief status update) and previous models?
Cybertruck didnt compete with existing Tesla product. Roadster I guess technically competes with Model S Plaid, but if you can afford the Roadster you can get the Plaid until Roadster comes out and either keep or trade. A $25K Model 2 and a $40K Model 3 will have people say I am going to wait, not stretch for the Model 3.

Legacy auto also make parts changes during any given year's production run. I've had to use my VIN to verify parts like this for ICEVs I've owned in the past.
Retired service manager here. Yep, seems a nightmare to me. My experience on my 3 has been in support that it is a nightmare for Tesla as well. This means waiting for parts.

I note that Tesla still does not have an identified service position (VP level) Did I miss him/her on the stage?

Mitigating the problem is that Tesla has so few product lines and also seems to use predictive service to help. Big plus! Moving to 48v means that getting unique 12v components 5 years or so after that transition might be dicey. However 3rd parties are incentivized to address this as the installed base expands. YMMV

Curious about the first droone footage from the Giga Mexico factory site 😁
Does anybody know if there is already a TESLA enthusiast who has local info about precise location?
Yes, I found the place after a couple of minutes looking around Santa Catarina in satellite view. It is indeed a (reasonably) sloped terrain.

25°42'15.2"N 100°34'14.4"W

Giga Mexico location.jpg

Last edited:
I thought the investor presentation was great. I really enjoyed the 3+ hours of detailed information of how they are going to get to 1TWh energy storage and 20M cars by 2030.

It was super bullish and makes me way more confident that they will get there, than I was before the presentation.

Those who are disappointed, I think allow themselves to get carried away through many hours of YouTube content that needs to get filled. I love the Tesla YouTubers, but having given up their jobs, they need daily content, and they are in danger of becoming like the mainstream media, purely for selfish reasons (they need new news daily).

Rob Maurer is the best at sticking to the facts, as is Steven Mark Ryan, who repeats the same messages every day in a slightly different way.

This. People who thought this was boring, I really can't understand them. This was a very deep insight in how Tesla works over several departments and how they will work in the future. If this didn't tease your interest, then maybe you should question why you follow Tesla as a company.
Exactly. Could GM or Ford pull something this detailed off? nah....hahaha. :)

Last edited:
Not in the detail I am suggesting. The SH deck is far more focused on the past quarter results not the upcoming quarters and years.
I have seen many AMD investor events and 99% of the time there are no new product reveal. It's usually slides on what they have done to show off their past execution, and one to two slides showing what they are planning on doing for the next few years using existing known AMD products with a sprinkle of product road map ahead.

Tesla yesterday showed way more product than anticipated. The product sold to investors is manufacturing efficiency. Cars/battery storage/roofs or whatever are products sold to customers.

Last edited:
If krugerrand dislikes you it is a post worth reading. Sometimes it is correct...usually the OP has said something true but unflattering. You were correct. Like Tesla saying they were not battery constrained last year when it was a giant deception since they were as they later admitted- they have always been cell constrained.
If I *disagree* (there is no dislike), then it’s because I disagree with the content, the opinion, the POV. Rarely it’s because I disagree with the existence of the person.

I do not disagree because someone has posted facts unattractively/unflatteringly. That’s a fictitious story people tell themselves instead of just simply asking me point blank what I disagreed with.

Feel free at anytime to take this ridiculousness to PM.

I should disagree with this because it fails to understand what they told us Gen 3 was;
It is a platform, with at least two specific vehicles based on the platform coming soon.
Those will have a 50% cost reduction compared with Model 3 IIRC. Once we all digest the information that was disclosed the significance of gen 3 becomes evident. That platform, they did not say, probably will have something akin to a single large pressing and a single additional structural battery that will carry the interior with it. That process could be high automated and vastly scalable. New versions on the platform could be quite varied with modest cost differences.

Bluntly, I am convinced this is the fruition of the old promised Mattel model Elon talked about a decade or so ago.
Exactly, Gen 3 will be the realization of that patent we first saw years ago with the car in the center of a huge casting machine.

1) eliminating a part because it isn’t used often doesn’t make it better. It makes it worse. It’s just an acceptable “worse”

There's a perspective you're missing here.

A car you can't get is worse than a car you can but without lumbar adjustment.

If they can't ship it because they don't have the part- that's worse than the car without the part.

Ditto if they can pull cost out and more people can afford to get the car at all (obviously ONE part won't move that needle significantly, but a bunch of rarely used ones could- esp if there's also savings in MFG/supply chain on top)

Bill Wright, works for Giga Nevada and seems to have a good track record.

Found this exchange very interesting. He basically confirms that Tesla has a wireless charger in the wings.

Wireless car chargers have been shown before-- so (bit like Apple) this won't be Tesla inventing a new thing- but possibly offering one people actually want.

That said- I don't see a TON of value in it for someones garage... you will have to wire/plug in the actual charger regardless... and it'll be slower and less efficient to charge via the induction pad than via a charge cable to the car... so why do wireless there?

Some folks have said well it'll solve the "wen snake robot" charging for robotaxis... but this will be L2 charging, and if you're trying to max money from RT you want supercharging, not L2-- and wireless isn't going to get you there.

I suppose if the charging mat is incredibly durable then outdoor installs for apartments would be a potential big win to get rid of cables between car and charger-- but that's the only not-super-niche use that comes to mind.... anybody else have others?

Gosh let me think about that 🤔

Because it isn’t a limited run sportscar
Because it isn’t a unique pickup truck neither of which that would cause customers to wait on buying one of their other EVs
Because lessons learned
Because the tech isn’t there yet AND lessons learned
Because they’re going about it differently this time

Why anything - because it’s different today than yesterday. 🙄

You (general) don’t need to know the reason, you simply need to accept what is then you can move on in peace and make whatever decision you need to about investing in Tesla and TSLA.

I don't think you should expect a single massive casting. They pretty much showed the next step, which was several large modules with exterior panels bolted on (around 1h8m into the presentation, "The Unboxed Process"). Basically assembly of large sub-assemblies (front end from dash forward, back end from rear seats back, structural pack with seats and center console, bolt together and attach body panels), they even indicated the plan for these large sub-assemblies to already have been through integrated diagnostics to be sure that internally all wiring connections are functional and so on, so that they only need to worry about connections between these assemblies after putting them together. And perhaps importantly the throwaway comment, "Just like Cybertruck."
What this brought to mind, was the previous transition I read about in the auto industry*. When manufacturers moved from a model of custom builds where every car is an individual snowflake, to a common, shared parts model in which a given part has to fit on *any car off the line*. It requires a step up in precision and consistency and I think the same applies here. If you're bringing together the entire front section of a car with the middle then that requires the same level of cumulative precision across the whole assembled piece. This is probably only possible if you have a large casting to hang everything off of.

* Exactly: How Precision Engineers Created the Modern World

So most obvious guess that the vehicle circled in red in the image below is a van. Anyone have any other guesses?

View attachment 912878
There are no other reasonable guesses. It's a van. Flat top is the classic signature, and allows enormous deployment flexibility – commercial cargo van, family van for 8, camper van, ride-share robotaxi.

I think if Tesla was going to reveal a new model, especially a cheaper one, it would need to have been the product of secret work and ready to start producing ASAP. My concern is that continuing production ramps at this rate with almost all sales being 3/Y will lead to further devaluation of the lineup. Tesla will continue working to reduce costs and I'm sure there will be great success, but the sheer volume of vehicles being pumped into markets will almost surely lead to downward pricing pressure especially as interest rates remain higher for longer.

If the IRA guidance from the Treasury also results in the $7500 credit being cut in half or reduced to $0 depending on the battery, that feels like another risk.

Reactions: Sparky4life