Welcome to Tesla Motors Club
Discuss Tesla's Model S, Model 3, Model X, Model Y, Cybertruck, Roadster and More.
Register

Tesla, TSLA & the Investment World: the Perpetual Investors' Roundtable

This site may earn commission on affiliate links.
Wow, I wish TSLA had NVDA’s PE. Would be great if Dojo could have some of that AI business.
Man if I had any Nvidia I would be cashing out so quickly lol. AI has quickly turned into a bubble when it comes to their valuation verse the reality of the numbers they’re putting up currently in earnings and what they’re guiding by themselves for this year

I think it’s important that Tesla continue to expand in the US and add more jobs. If Tesla opens up all new factories going forward everywhere except the US, then they lose some of that leverage of public opinion. But if Tesla keeps expanding and hiring US workers, it makes it very hard for the government to step in and bail out just Ford and GM
I’d assume any new US factories would be for North America product predominantly. However, with a Mexico factory -

Tesla will build factories where product is needed to reduce costs like shipping and increase efficiencies like shipping.

So, I wouldn’t actually depend on a lot more US factories. We’ve already got Nevada, Buffalo, Austin, Fremont, Lathrop. Those will obviously continue to expand as more products require for the ‘local’ areas.

But just how many more US factories are you expecting? Additionally, Tesla isn’t primarily hiring OEM union workers, so don’t expect Tesla to hire all those displaced workers dying OEMs. A lot of those workers don’t have the skill set nor the work culture to work at Tesla. And finally, Tesla is clearly going the route of more labor bots, less human labor - again, reducing the chances of your typical OEM union worker of being a Tesla hire.

I’ve no idea who or what or when does or does not get bailed out, but eventually all companies die or significantly morph into something unrecognizable, so says history of continued progress and change.

Tesla’s unspoken slogan is technically; change or die.

When you have paying subscribers it is much better to be conservative at the beginning of the quarter and adjust upwards as the evidence comes in.
"When you have paying subscribers it is much better to deliberately bias your model away from the maximum likelihood estimate instead of aiming for accuracy and letting your clients do their own risk management with respect to missing high vs. low"

I'm tired of the media saying Tesla started a price war. That is BS.

There is no price war. Tesla is simply adjusting its prices to maximize profit on its increased production capacity. Why? Because they can.
In my opinion Tesla is not maximizing profits but maximizing the number of electric vehicles being put on the road. Since they operate in a capitalist system they use the means of capitalism (profits) to achieve that goal.

Ok, I’m prepared to get blasted. Ford is building a plant outside Mason, Tn to build electric vehicles. It is larger than Gigatexas. Ground up designed for electric vehicle production. Tennessee labor(no unions). I think Ford gets it.

Not blasted, just bear in mind that Ford's current efficiency per SF of plant space is a fraction of something like Giga Shanghai. Texas and all future GFs will be even more efficient.

Ok, I’m prepared to get blasted. Ford is building a plant outside Mason, Tn to build electric vehicles. It is larger than Gigatexas. Ground up designed for electric vehicle production. Tennessee labor(no unions). I think Ford gets it.
Why would you get blasted? I think this is good news - we need EV competition. It's good that at least someone is trying to imitate Tesla; not sure they'll be very successful, but this is Ford's chance at survival, and they seem to be the only US OEM to understand this. New CEO seems okay so far. I certainly wouldn't invest in them, though... Too risky.

I still don't understand how Tesla builds so quickly - my guess is fewer meetings, more power to team leads for decision-making, and having cash sure helps. Any timelines for the Ford factory?

Only because you made a comparison between F and T...

I'm not sure that's a good thing... (for Ford).

The nearly six square mile "mega campus" is called out as at/near Stranton, TN and has a planned completion of 2025 (3 year construction schedule, 4 years from announcement). 6000 jobs. It will reportedly assist Ford in reaching their company wide goal of 2 million EVs a year by 2026.

Meanwhile, Tesla completes plants in around one year from announcement and may achieve production of 2 million from a single location. Oh, and the Giga Mexico site is larger than Ford's

Here is my oversimplified view of Tesla and the margins in the EV industry.

My understanding from the media of what people think is the current and future situation:
  • The media often assumes that the EV industry is profitable.
  • Tesla's margins will decrease over time due to increased competition.
1679588552118.png

Here's my view of the current and future situation:
  • The margin of the industry is currently negative.
  • Due to competition, the margin gap for Tesla will likely close.
  • It is not realistic to think that Tesla will be the only car company, so the industry average margin is likely to become positive.
  • Despite competition, Tesla's margin is expected to remain strong and stable due to its constant innovation.

1679588928630.png

...snip...
Tesla is simply adjusting its prices to maximize profit on its increased production capacity.
...snip...
In my opinion Tesla is not maximizing profits but maximizing the number of electric vehicles being put on the road. Since they operate in a capitalist system they use the means of capitalism (profits) to achieve that goal.
Important clarification, it can be both. Tesla is maximizing overall profit by lowering vehicle profit and multiplying by more vehicles. It doesn't make sense for them to leave money on the table (so to speak)
Crude example:
2 Million cars at 13k gross margin each is more profit than 1.5 Million cars at 15k GM.

Man if I had any Nvidia I would be cashing out so quickly lol. AI has quickly turned into a bubble when it comes to their valuation verse the reality of the numbers they’re putting up currently in earnings and what they’re guiding by themselves for this year
Really? With ChatGPT hitting the world like a ton of bricks? I think Nvidia has got a good year upcoming. But maybe we should continue this in the What Other Tech Stocks thread.

Here is my oversimplified view of Tesla and the margins in the EV industry.

My understanding from the media of what people think is the current and future situation:
  • The media often assumes that the EV industry is profitable.
  • Tesla's margins will decrease over time due to increased competition.
View attachment 920558

Here's my view of the current and future situation:
  • The margin of the industry is currently negative.
  • Due to competition, the margin gap for Tesla will likely close.
  • It is not realistic to think that Tesla will be the only car company, so the industry average margin is likely to become positive.
  • Despite competition, Tesla's margin is expected to remain strong and stable due to its constant innovation.

View attachment 920561
Mostly agree, but I think the Tesla line has a positive slope...(margin can grow while prices are reduced)

Talking about price wars, in Europe Tesla is really pushing sales during the last week of the quarter. For selected Model Ys the discounts have been raised from €3000 to over €5000 (and for other Model Ys to €3500-3700). Model 3Ps even get a €6000 discount, but those have the performance upgrade so it's easier to give them a large discount.

Model Y.PNG

On my commute from the western part to the eastern part of The Netherlands I'm seeing more and more Model Ys on the road. It's such a cool car to see. And to my surprise a lot of them have German license plates. Must be vacationers or businessmen driving to the port of Rotterdam. It's a sign of Tesla's popularity in Germany.

I also spot trailers almost every day with Chinese built Model Ys going in the direction of Germany (probably RWD) and with German built Model Ys (AWD) going in the opposite direction.

Is "price war" seriously being thrown around as a negative thing now? That's hilarious considering we're coming off decade of "Tesla only makes toys for rich people".
I don't know if "price war" is negative or positive. My point was that Tesla is not at war with anyone. They are just balancing supply and demand.

And also, Tesla has the ability to price their cars more effectively than anyone else. Is "price efficiency" a good term for it? Maybe there is a real business or economics term for this. Not my area of expertise.

Wow, I wish TSLA had NVDA’s PE. Would be great if Dojo could have some of that AI business.
Darn, and I saw their stock rise coming a few days ago from a youtube video when "trying" to keep up on latest AI tools (moving fast). If I were to diversify, NVDA would be a good game to play. In a nutshell, any one of us will be able to upload training data and pay NVDA servers to spit out NNs. I bet it's on GMs roadmap already. 🤣

AI cloud services are exactly where Dojo could go, but Tesla chose to maintain course for FSD, (likely resource constrained as we've heard in the past, along with it wasn't quite ready yet, but I'm not following that closely). It would take some convincing to get me to believe Tesla (or Elon) isn't already preparing his "Open" AI on a Dojo-like (or parallel) platform. AI for profit is clearly a threat to humanity, which is perhaps why Tesla isn't going that route with AI business for just anyone. If they did, it would likely be tightly controlled and not used and abused for profit.