Welcome to Tesla Motors Club
Discuss Tesla's Model S, Model 3, Model X, Model Y, Cybertruck, Roadster and More.
Register

Tesla, TSLA & the Investment World: the Perpetual Investors' Roundtable

This site may earn commission on affiliate links.

According to this Reddit poster, Boring Co has recently submitted a request for revising their government permit to enable use of Automatic Emergency Braking, Lane Departure Warning and Forward Collision Warning features in the Vegas Loop. This could be a sign that progress is being made on whatever has been holding up usage of Autopilot and eventually FSD.

im not looking for a financial plan.

im just asking for ideas

my best guess is just to sit on my losses and hold and believe tesla will change the world and the company is in good hands with elon musk
Recessions and slowdowns tend to shine the light on real leaders with sustainable business models. Tesla is executing very well given what's happening in the world.

Imagine what's going to happen when the world is back in growth mode. I 100% agree with Musk. Now is the time to take market share at whatever the cost is. Screw margins. You go for the kill. Growth is all that matters.

thoughts on this solution? Tapping the massive fresh water resource of above ocean vapour which has remained so far untouched? Video linked included discussion of a recently publish research project confirming the validity at various Locations around the world. Requires far less energy than desalination of salt water.

One of our more highly valued members has been thinking along these lines for quite a a while:

There's PLENTY of clean, fresh water at Sparks 24/7 passing overhead, there for the taking. I'm not sure exactly how... Some sort of condensation technology is needed. There are many experimental systems- plastic leafy condensation structures, underground cooling tubs... Add the Elon tech magic to those systems, and a worldwide problem could be solved.

In the 1960's, cloud seeding was the new big thing. Too bad it hasn't really panned out for everyday use.

How about finding a passive or semi-passive way to collect condensation (saves reverse-osmosis energy) on a huge scale at those high altitude reservoirs (no pumping energy needed!), or at least partway up those large reservoirs (less pumping energy), possibly on the upwind side of mountains where adiabatic cooling already aids condensation or something?

And I trust we're gonna put floating PV solar on those mountaintop reservoirs to lower evaporation rates and generate some power in that clear mountain air for the pumps there too, right?

@Thekiwi 's post defines the niche where this is most practical, starting with lower altitude seaside towns with the highest priced water.

According to this Reddit poster, Boring Co has recently submitted a request for revising their government permit to enable use of Automatic Emergency Braking, Lane Departure Warning and Forward Collision Warning features in the Vegas Loop. This could be a sign that progress is being made on whatever has been holding up usage of Autopilot and eventually FSD.

...I'm a little weirded out they want to use lane departure warning in a tunnel that is only a single lane... the other two make perfect sense

Also, unlike AP/FSD which we knew they weren't allowed to use, this is the first time I'm hearing they can't use basic active safety features that are typically engaged even when a human is entirely driving... that also sounds really weird to have been restricted in the first place.

One solution, common in some countries is to have the inspection done by a government operated center. That, IME, works well sometimes, albeit irritating. The private licensed places I have been have always said something is wrong to be fixed by them.

Still, although inspections can be gamed they generally do help have better maintained vehicles than none at all. One fo my present residences is in a jurisdiction that had state-run inspections until four years ago, and now have none. The difference in the condition fo older vehicles is clearly and obviously worse now. Many factors, I know, including a pandemic.

BEV inspections become a slightly different issue. No emissions test, for one thing.

FWIW only 4 US states require annual emissions inspections state-wide... then a few more do them every 2 years....and a handful more do them only for specific high-density counties in the state...and a bunch do 0 at all.... even in many of the states that DO have them at all they exempt either relatively new vehicles, or they entirely exempt older vehicles

For example here in NC only 22 out of 100 counties require an annual emissions inspection, and anything 20 years or older (so 2002 back right now) is exempt.

Even over in Clean Air poster child California there's no inspections for the first 7 years of ownership, after that it's every 2 years, and only in about 2/3rds of counties in the state.

Who does the inspections in places that do require them varies too though AFAIK most are just private garages that buy a testing machine and get "certified" on how to use it.

...I'm a little weirded out they want to use lane departure warning in a tunnel that is only a single lane... the other two make perfect sense
Lane departure warning would alert the driver if they’re drifting too close to the wall.

Also, unlike AP/FSD which we knew they weren't allowed to use, this is the first time I'm hearing they can't use basic active safety features that are typically engaged even when a human is entirely driving... that also sounds really weird to have been restricted in the first place.
I hadn’t heard about this restriction before either and I agree that it’s weird. I wonder if we’ll get more info later on.

im not looking for a financial plan.

im just asking for ideas

my best guess is just to sit on my losses and hold and believe tesla will change the world and the company is in good hands with elon musk
What were you going to do if it goes down when you bought it for 297?. I mean who puts in almost a mil without a plan? Stonk only goes up is not a plan.

I am going to put a link to something a little special on here. I saw that people already posted different links to it, but I did not see the members as a whole here thinking about it as this ant.

If you don't know who he is...well I am not going to even consider someone on here does not know who he is. If you don't just try and google him

MMM (Mr Money Mustache) Bought a Model Y. He goes into a well-written monologue on why he (a person that for as long as I can remember has suggested buying a secondhand car IF you really need a car at all), bought in his words " a spectacularly expensive, large luxury “crossover” that is absolutely loaded to the gills with excess: all wheel drive, faster acceleration than a Lamborghini, enough space for seven people and enough computer gadgetry to function as a small Google data center." This Frugal guru of the lifestyle of working, spending and investing.
The working/poor man's Warren Buffett bought a Model Y! Hundreds of thousands of people look to this guy as what they should be doing with their money. And they follow his writings even if they can't quite match his actions while they go through their financial path. But they/we read him because he is right, and he writes about his life and why in a way that is enjoyable and intelligent.

I better quit yakking..here it is...
The Model Y Experiment
Earmark it.
and when someone wants to know about Tesla EV's offer that site to them. Most of you are good with words, but I haven't seen the sledgehammer of honesty, thoughtfulness and writing-skill by any of us that he has shown.
He's gonna sell a helluva lot of Teslas. He can also help you/us lessen the tension between us and those we interact.

FWIW only 4 US states require annual emissions inspections state-wide... then a few more do them every 2 years....and a handful more do them only for specific high-density counties in the state...and a bunch do 0 at all.... even in many of the states that DO have them at all they exempt either relatively new vehicles, or they entirely exempt older vehicles

For example here in NC only 22 out of 100 counties require an annual emissions inspection, and anything 20 years or older (so 2002 back right now) is exempt.

Even over in Clean Air poster child California there's no inspections for the first 7 years of ownership, after that it's every 2 years, and only in about 2/3rds of counties in the state.

Who does the inspections in places that do require them varies too though AFAIK most are just private garages that buy a testing machine and get "certified" on how to use it.
To expand on California, several years ago NEW diesel powered vehicles are required to have a biannual smog inspection every two years. That irritated a few of the truck owners that thought they could skirt the emissions test for a few years and just trade in their modified vehicle to avoid testing. The current program (as of 6 years ago-I am retired now and out of California 😎) would have you plug into the vehicle ALDL connector and do a visual inspection. The State would collect the emissions monitor status and “other data” during the inspection. As a part time instructor for the smog program, my employer was one of several individuals that are part of the BAR testing program. He would elude to the premise that the state had access to parts of the vehicle program that indicated how many times the software was updated/ changed and had a pilot program to monitor the data and using license plate data could direct the vehicle to a roadside inspection station at a further date and time for further testing……..

And now today Musk liked and replied to a desalination tweet.

3 kWh per m^3 of water is typical energy consumption for modern high-efficiency reverse osmosis plants. Any hypothetical new technologies couldn’t improve this by very much, considering that “For typical seawater at ambient temperature and 3.5% concentration by weight of dissolved salts, the universal thermodynamic limit (TL) to separate water from the solution (but at zero recovery) is 0.78 kWh per cubic meter, as given by the Gibbs equations12,13. However, the practical specific energy consumption for seawater desalination plants available hitherto may vary from 5- to 8-folds higher than the ideal limit.” (Source: Nature)

However, as I’ve argued before, in a future of cheap solar energy, there would probably be less focus on desalination energy efficiency in order to save cost in other areas.

Humans currently use 4 trillion cubic meters of freshwater globally each year, and the long term trend has been for this number to rise. Unless there is a dramatic disruption of the agriculture industry in terms of irrigation, indoor farming, or people’s willingness to eat less animal food from conventional animal farms, then we simply need a lot of water. Getting 1 trillion m^3 from desal would require at least 1 PWh (petawatt-hour) of energy input at maximum thermodynamic efficiency. Real-world efficiency including pumping and transportation consumption, especially if the desal market switches from osmosis to distillation to exploit cheap energy, can easily exceed this by 10x or maybe even 50x. “The range of specific energy consumption (SEC) for MSF [multistage flash distillation] plants is typically 20 kWh–25 kWh per cubic meter of freshwater produced” (source).

So, we can estimate that replacing a substantial fraction of current world water consumption with desal could burn on the order of 10-100 PWh of energy per year. In comparison, in the 2022 Impact Report Tesla estimated 84 PWh of total energy consumed in a sustainable energy economy based on the figure presented in MPP3 which did not include desal.

Furthermore, this is just accounting for possible human uses. Conceivably, I’m the future we might start to actively refill parched lakes and rivers. Does this sound far-fetched? Maybe, but this year Israel is already starting to do it to maintain water levels in the Sea of Galilee. It’s still experimental and the first such project in the world, but it’s actually in operation right now and scientists are collecting data on how it’s impacting the ecosystem in the lake.

What else might have been omitted from the Master Plan? 🤔
Switching more agriculture to vertical farming would save enough water to avoid most needs for desalination. This is also far more energy efficient and reduces fertilizer in the environment and our food.

That is the worst idea ever. Vertical farming does not even make sense on mars. Anyone that actually studies the problem scoffs at vertical farming. The fact that the Martian society figured that out with barely any effort goes to show that idiot ideas are hard to kill. Especially if a VC can pump and dump and make a buck.
Switching more agriculture to vertical farming would save enough water to avoid most needs for desalination. This is also far more energy efficient and reduces fertilizer in the environment and our food.

Lane departure warning would alert the driver if they’re drifting too close to the wall.

I hadn’t heard about this restriction before either and I agree that it’s weird. I wonder if we’ll get more info later on.
Las Vegas fire department wouldn't sign off on any driver assistance features that we're part of the Tesla autopilot software suite.