Welcome to Tesla Motors Club
Discuss Tesla's Model S, Model 3, Model X, Model Y, Cybertruck, Roadster and More.
Register

Tesla, TSLA & the Investment World: the Perpetual Investors' Roundtable

This site may earn commission on affiliate links.
THIS! THIS! THIS! So eloquently stated. Don't worry about Elon's tweets crashing the stock. It the above. Substitute the ambulance chasing lawyers standing on top a rig, instead standing on top of a Model 3 or Y in their commercials. THIS!

Legislation is the cure for above and looking at the present political climate do you think its going to happen?
Waymo seems to be navigating this fairly successfully so far.

I think he meant that 100% of cell phone batteries contain cobalt
I took it as "100% of cellphone batteries contain cobalt", which is undoubtedly true.
Yep, I think JB Strauble said it would take recycling less than 200 iPhone batteries to get the cobalt needed for one long range Model 3/Y.

Which checks out: Tesla co-founder has a plan to become king of EV battery materials—in the U.S.

Ah ok, this makes way more sense, I misunderstood it

Waymo seems to be navigating this fairly successfully so far.

FWIW Waymo has vastly less exposure to the risk than a works-anywhere-all-roads-all-speeds robotaxi system would.

Not 2 pages ago we had someone post a "Look how much longer it takes Waymo to get to a place than FSDb took"- and part of that is specifically because of how risk-adverse Waymos ODD, routing, top speed, etc are in comparison.

Mind you- they've yet to remotely approach being profitable with their path- but they're pretty clearly putting a lot of consideration into keeping their risk profile as narrow as possible for this stuff too even at cost of speed, efficiency, widespread use, etc....

Reactions: GhostSkater
That's terrible, I hope other states don't do this as well. We need to encourage the transition away from oil, NOT discourage it.
It's a gift to auto dealers and fossil fuel interests. They know what they are doing but will hide behind "oh but someone needs to pay for muh roads".

(let's not point out that tax revenue is fungible and only 26% of road spending is covered by fuel taxes)
States earmark most of their motor fuel tax revenue for transportation spending. In 2020, state and local motor fuel tax revenue accounted for 26 percent of highway and road spending. Toll facilities provided another 9 percent and the remaining 65 percent came from other revenue sources.

Here goes Toyota again...trying to justify their Hybrids and fuel cells 🤦‍♂️ 🤦‍♂️ 🤦‍♂️ 🤦‍♂️ 🤦‍♂️ 🤦‍♂️

1684425426820.png

Here goes Toyota again...trying to justify their Hybrids and fuel cells 🤦‍♂️ 🤦‍♂️ 🤦‍♂️ 🤦‍♂️ 🤦‍♂️ 🤦‍♂️

View attachment 938866

Whenever Toyota claims there "aren't enough resources" for BEV's to be the only option, what they REALLY mean is there aren't enough resources for Toyota, mainly because they've been so slow to adopt BEV's and plan / setup their supply chains.

If they stick to this "plan" they will be one of the legacy automakers which fade away into obscurity by the disruption.

FWIW Waymo has vastly less exposure to the risk than a works-anywhere-all-roads-all-speeds robotaxi system would.

Not 2 pages ago we had someone post a "Look how much longer it takes Waymo to get to a place than FSDb took"- and part of that is specifically because of how risk-adverse Waymos ODD, routing, top speed, etc are in comparison.

Mind you- they've yet to remotely approach being profitable with their path- but they're pretty clearly putting a lot of consideration into keeping their risk profile as narrow as possible for this stuff too even at cost of speed, efficiency, widespread use, etc....
Makes me wonder how long it will be before Tesla takes ownership of the driving task at highway speeds when companies like Waymo won't even attempt it despite already operating driverless on urban streets. It's an interesting dynamic when you think about it if Level 3 or below functionality is easier to achieve on highways than city streets but maybe Level 4 or above functionality is easier to achieve on city streets than highways because the lower speeds mean less risk of severe outcomes in accidents.

For those of you who don't know, Youtube channel CallasEV makes some great, relatively unbiased FSD vs Waymo drives based out of the Phoenix, Arizona area. Waymo just expanded their area of service in the greater Phoenix region, which made the difference in arrival times between Waymo and FSD in the most recent video to be staggeringly different since Waymo does not support driving on freeways. When I say staggeringly different, I'm talking about more than twice the amount of time to arrive at the same destination on a drive that took FSD 26 minutes:

View attachment 938806

Shouldn't Waymo be getting "good" at the Phoenix area by now? Seems like they should be showing mastery of **something**, either expanding to a lot more places, or just getting really good at the places where it has been around for 5+ years.

FSD is in its own perpetual "requires a driver" jail, but at least it's gotten a lot better within those constraints.

View attachment 938866
And still sticking to Toyota "seeks to sell 1.5 million battery-powered cars by 2026" Assuming they mean by the end of 2025, that means, if split evenly, they only plan on selling ~500k per year. Yeah, that isn't really an aggressive plan.

And on top of that it seems like that is going to be with 10 different BEV models. So only ~50k of each model per year? There wouldn't seem to be any volume/cost efficiency there. (And even more so those BEVs might be just jamming batteries/motors into existing ICE models/platforms, making them less than ideal.)

Tesla doesn't need to worry about any competition coming from Toyota...

Interesting changes in Ford driver assist pricing...
Someone who uses the service, feel free to correct me here... Doesn't Blue Cruise do a lot less than basic Autopilot? Like very limited geofenced area of operation?

^Yes.
1684426738042.png

Shouldn't Waymo be getting "good" at the Phoenix area by now? Seems like they should be showing mastery of **something**, either expanding to a lot more places, or just getting really good at the places where it has been around for 5+ years.

FSD is in its own perpetual "requires a driver" jail, but at least it's gotten a lot better within those constraints.
Waymo hasn't proven that their system is even a valid business. Feels like Google's standard playground side project model.

It's a gift to auto dealers and fossil fuel interests. They know what they are doing but will hide behind "oh but someone needs to pay for muh roads".

Exactly right. If it was about fairness, they'd remove the gas tax and put the same charge structure on all vehicles. Either the annual flat fee, or a mileage & weight calculation, or something.

Of course, that wouldn't fly because it would look like a new cost to everybody.

As it stands now, the law basically says: "Hey gas-driving majority! You heard that those dirty hippy commie electric cars cost less to drive, and their drivers are so smug, and we know you think it's not fair...so watch us really stick it to 'em!"

If this doesn't get fixed, just give it some time, and as EV drivers and Tesla factory workers continue to become an ever-larger voting block, the politicians will lose considerable votes and be forced to change.

Gary happened to be seated at the table next to mine at lunch today. I really wanted to ask him why he asked that question on price (but I chose not to interrupt his meal).
That question highlighted yet again Gary’s lack of understanding of Tesla. This is from a guy that puts zero value on FSD. Not sure why people even show this guy any f’ing attention.