Welcome to Tesla Motors Club
Discuss Tesla's Model S, Model 3, Model X, Model Y, Cybertruck, Roadster and More.
Register

Tesla, TSLA & the Investment World: the Perpetual Investors' Roundtable

This site may earn commission on affiliate links.
Agree that Tesla should get compensated somehow, but in the meantime, putting Tesla-style charge handles in Fords really tips the (Betamax-VHS) balance towards these becoming a de-facto US standard..
I say License Agreement + % Distribution Center fee. Welcome to the new Autobidder for cars! 🤣
Who will be next, GM or a Chinese company?

Edit: Or... Ford will help build more Super Chargers. This may help get us new charging areas but could hurts the wait times a little on existing.

I'm trying to find an angle here ... I don't see how this is a positive for Tesla but I'm willing to listen to ideas.

Here was my first thought: Do you remember when Microsoft bailed out a little company called Apple, who was on it's deathbed? How'd that work out for Microsoft??

Tesla charging network should stay all Tesla ... it's one of the biggest competitive advantages Tesla has.

I'm going to do some homework and try to find out what Tesla's angle is ... I sure hope it isn't Elon putting "the mission" over competitive strategy ... you can damn well bet that Ford would be twisting the knife right now.

I'm trying to find an angle here ... I don't see how this is a positive for Tesla but I'm willing to listen to ideas.

Here was my first thought: Do you remember when Microsoft bailed out a little company called Apple, who was on it's deathbed? How'd that work out for Microsoft??

Tesla charging network should stay all Tesla ... it's one of the biggest competitive advantages Tesla has.

I'm going to do some homework and try to find out what Tesla's angle is ... I sure hope it isn't Elon putting "the mission" over competitive strategy ... you can damn well bet that Ford would be twisting the knife right now.
Obviously they will get revenue from Ford and if they get enough, they'll get money from the government without Magic Dock.

The Ford owners and many others I see online are saying...why would anyone buy a Tesla now? But, Ford or Tesla isn't for everyone. I do think it will slightly reduce sales of Teslas in the future.

You do know how many Fleet EV’s Ford has sold and how many will need access to Tesla SC right?

The mission is more important than competitive strategy. Elon has said as much several times.

However, Tesla has some of the brightest minds on Earth. So wouldn't be surprised to see it further the mission AND benefit Tesla

Many believe it will eventually hurt Tesla car sales. As the charging network is typically in the top 3 of reasons to buy a Tesla.

Not an invalid reason but they are thinking too small.

This is the first validation that Tesla SC will be the new Exxon Mobile for EV. After Ford's announcement, it would be a surprise if no one else follows suits. Any EV that doesn't have SC access will be a negative selling point.

I think today marks the day similar to the day Warners announced that it was going with Blu-ray as the next Gen format.

With Tesla (no.1 ev maker in the USA ) and Ford (no.2 ev maker in us), other manufacturers who plans to sell evs in North America will basically have to adapt nacs as otherwise they will never be able to come up with another viable format.

Any future EV chargers will basically prioritize if not outright stick with NACS.

Not an invalid reason but they are thinking too small.

This is the first validation that Tesla SC will be the new Exxon Mobile for EV. After Ford's announcement, it would be a surprise if no one else follows suits. Any EV that doesn't have SC access will be a negative selling point.
I said something similar after this.

But that's my reasoning on the Tesla stock not getting as much of a boost it could. It seems most, especially Ford owners, are saying this will help them pass Tesla.

If Tesla can have NACS be the standard, there's a ton of money to be had.

The Ford owners and many others I see online are saying...why would anyone buy a Tesla now?

There are lots of reasons everybody won't switch to buying a Ford instead of a Tesla. How many vehicles did Tesla sell last quarter? How many did Ford make?

Maybe because they don't like Ford? Maybe they don't like the EVs Ford offers? Maybe they don't want to pay a dealer tax to buy an EV? Maybe Ford can't make enough to meet demand, and they can't wait?

There are lots of reasons everybody won't switch to buying a Ford instead of a Tesla. How many vehicles did Tesla sell last quarter? How many did Ford make?

Maybe because they don't like Ford? Maybe they don't like the EVs Ford offers? Maybe they don't want to pay a dealer tax to buy an EV? Maybe Ford can't make enough to meet demand, and they can't wait?
I agree. Again, speaking in regards to stock performance.

Obviously they will get revenue from Ford and if they get enough, they'll get money from the government without Magic Dock.

The Ford owners and many others I see online are saying...why would anyone buy a Tesla now? But, Ford or Tesla isn't for everyone. I do think it will slightly reduce sales of Teslas in the future.
You mean besides the obvious reason that a Model Y is cheaper than a Mach E?

I mean that's literally the Number 1 reason people chose one car over another.

When the tax credit switches to point of sale on Jan 1st, the price difference between the Model Y and the Mach E will become even more obvious.

Last edited:
I said something similar after this.

But that's my reasoning on the Tesla stock not getting as much of a boost it could. It seems most, especially Ford owners, are saying this will help them pass Tesla.

If Tesla can have NACS be the standard, there's a ton of money to be had.
It’s possible that other charging networks would also adopt NACS.

I am very surprised TSLA is not higher in the after-market trading. This is a huge, long-term change to the BEV charging landscape.
It will take the market a while to figure this one out. Ford will almost certainly be paying into the build out of the super charger networks once the nacs connector is built in. This will mean more chargers and better not worse availability for everyone. Long term it will be increased profits and allow Tesla to be a major energy supplier as well.

But the fact that two auto brands outside of Tesla are using NACS will put a lot of pressure on other makers to put NACS in their cars. Who will be next?

Simple.

1) You gotta download the Tesla app to use the charging network. now you have the Tesla logo on your phone always and subconsciously admit it's good/useful.

2) Tesla now has a bunch of data on you and can sell you on its cars with discounts/deals.

3) Tesla gets more IRA $$$$ if a critical mass switch over to NACS.

4) Puts other charging networks out of business and results in Tesla basically becoming the EV gas station monopoly over the entire country.

5) You're at a Supercharger network and talk with Tesla owners while the car charges now.