Welcome to Tesla Motors Club
Discuss Tesla's Model S, Model 3, Model X, Model Y, Cybertruck, Roadster and More.
Register

Tesla, TSLA & the Investment World: the Perpetual Investors' Roundtable

This site may earn commission on affiliate links.
Munro did a battery pack teardown for the Lucid:

1. Composite battery pack floor: Strong but very expensive(!) approach for protecting the pack.
2. Varying-sized connectors for each cell to the bus bar. (Cost increase).
3. Largest BMS PCB board of any EV they've seen, with low density of component placement on the board (Cost/weight increase). 5-10x larger than the Model 3.

A few nice things, but nothing IMO justifying the additional cost. And we see how that is going with their quarterly results.

Hmm....all these price drops have me thinking.....we owe $35k on our 2022 Kia Niro EV(cuz 0.9% interest). A new M3 is ~$43k gross, or $35,500 after rebate. $34k after state rebate if still available. Hmm.

Would I be crazy to sell the Kia if I could get payoff for it? Have to see what Tesla would do for trade but probably only $25k I'm guessing.

I can see why the current pricing is having a nice impact on demand!

Hmm....all these price drops have me thinking.....we owe $35k on our 2022 Kia Niro EV(cuz 0.9% interest). A new M3 is ~$43k gross, or $35,500 after rebate. $34k after state rebate if still available. Hmm.

Would I be crazy to sell the Kia if I could get payoff for it? Have to see what Tesla would do for trade but probably only $25k I'm guessing.

I can see why the current pricing is having a nice impact on demand!

Try Carvana and Carmax as well. Tesla trade-in values are historically on the low side.

11.4 has been amazing for me and the sentiment on FB is that some people consider it a "finished product". I guess for people who mainly deal with low and medium traffic scenarios with well marked roads and standardized sign FSDb is making tons of intervention free drives.

Big auto I'm sure has teslas in their hands testing this out right now. Despite all the hoopla Mobile Eye is promising, they cannot claim that their car has similar performance because they don't have half a million cars all over NA making intervention free drives for the most part. This is when big auto really need to sit down and make a decision if they want to partner up with Tesla or wait. So fsd take rate going forward will not only be a big deal for Tesla but a barometer for big auto to judge the demand for Tesla FSD.

"Also happy to license autopilot/FSD..."

If we haven't already had our next big (Nvidia) movement, when the first competitor, hat in hand, makes this deal, It will be a hell of a moon shot.
It's coming, it's just a matter of how long the OEMs can hold out before crumbling. Most likely Ford will be the first since they already cracked that door open.

Are Native Americans still buying Chevy like they used to in the 80's?

Anecdotal as this sounds, when I lived in Flagstaff Az (a college town full of local natives) every single car stereo that I installed into a Native American vehicle was a Chevy Truck, no exceptions, Siverado of course! (This was so often that I learned to pronounce it like the Navajo's, just saying the first few letters of each word while sounding like a gut * punch - "Che* Tru*". No disrespect, it's their tongue, but it's how I remember this fun fact.)

Today, I can't find a single story to corroborate my findings from the 80's or today. But what I did find on Google is that people prefer the Silverado over the F-150 due to the longer bed. So transport capability may have been the winner for the Tribe, in the day. Remote homes, maybe for people or water and supplies vs just tipping a plywood sheet up on the tailgate per the Ford fans. I don't visit Northern Az as often and I can't find tribal sales data even on ChatGPT.

Anyway... I bring this to our attention because it would sure be a shame to see the Tribe leave GM as a key sales demographic right about when their newest Silverado's hit the market. /s

Do tribes generally support the TSLA mission, especially where Nature is concerned? (Edit: seems there's a big SC gap on the tribes in Northern Az). Also, major respect to the Tribes for wanting to preserve nature from the very start, sadly ignored.. still. Recalling the Crying Indian commercial (not an actual Indian is besides the point) and that was just because of littering.

Last edited:
"Also happy to license autopilot/FSD..."

If we haven't already had our next big (Nvidia) movement, when the first competitor, hat in hand, makes this deal, It will be a hell of a moon shot.
It's coming, it's just a matter of how long the OEMs can hold out before crumbling. Most likely Ford will be the first since they already cracked that door open.
Agree. No market analysts are pricing in FSD as a Robotaxi service yet, not surprisingly. They can't see that far forward. None are pricing in licensing of FSD tech either--but that could happen *any day*. That alone is a reason to sit in TSLA regardless of the daily ups and downs.

Tesla doesn't have to have a level 4/5 driving system to license it to other OEMs. FSD as it is now still has more work to do--but it is already significantly better than any of the competition--by an (autonomous) mile. If other OEMS see the benefits as worthwhile enough that FSD will help them move their own vehicles, I think we could see automakers partner with Tesla for FSD tech just like Ford did with Superchargers.

After all, since Mobileye is not itself an automaker, its valuation is based purely on its ability to sell its hardware/tech to other OEMs. There's no reason why Tesla can't get a huge piece of that pie *any day now*.

Milking the stubborn "I'll never go electric" crowd is too easy to pass up. Especially when you lose money trying to sell electric.

With their flexibility, just imagine if GM made a Cell Phone... :D

Satisfied - Not Satisfied.jpg

Cheers!

Go full Uber bull and sell you house and put that into TSLA. I just checked out the Algarve and currently in Seville eating cured meats and drinking a beer. Probably going to escape Canadian winters for good and be a nomad over here for a while. Plow the house money into TSLA and then buy a place once fsd is solved and the stock price reflects the value. I’m a little nuts.
Good plan, @Rammstein !

I sowed my wild oats a decade ago: quit my Director job at one of the Big 4, backpacked through India for 5 months (stops first in Scotland, and second at Lake Como, Italy, where my son was playing in the World Ultimate Championships), rented a modest place that had everything I needed in a neighbourhood I really like, (successfully) started my own solopreneur consulting company, travelled South America for 2 months, saved lots and invested enough in TLSA 2018+.

Now I've found a partner I believe I'll be happy with for the rest of my days. Buying a house together helped convince her to move here from Montréal! Plus my 2 kids and 3 grandkids now live here. So, thanks, I'm very happy with my choices thx!

With their flexibility, just imagine if GM made a Cell Phone... :D

View attachment 944194

Cheers!
Reminds me of a joke written into the screenplay for the HBO series “Chernobyl”.

A rugged bunch of coal miners are having a lunch break and the shift foreman proceeds to describe…

…What’s as big as a house, burns 20 litres of fuel every hour, puts out a shitload of smoke and noise, and cuts an apple into three pieces?A Soviet machine made to cut apples into four pieces!"

I think we could see automakers partner with Tesla for FSD tech just like Ford did with Superchargers.
Especially if the Tesla FSD data proves to NTSC of the safety improvements, who then drafts new law for some minimum autonomous capability by 2030. 🤣

What does the National Safety Council do?

The National Safety Council is a mission-based organization, focused on eliminating the leading causes of death and injury. We focus our efforts and thought leadership on impacting safety through three strategic pillars: Workplace, Roadway and Impairment - until the data tells us otherwise.

Impairment is one of their 3 pillars of the "mission." FSD is an overnight winner at all bars and hotels!

They adopt NACS as CCS Type 3 and all their arguments go away. Even if the reliability issues get somehow solved no one can argue a CCS connecter is better. It's clunky and difficult to insert and remove.
As an owner of both a Tesla and a non-Tesla with CCS I cannot see much difference in practice. Understandably people accustomed to the physically smaller Tesla plug will prefer it.
I'd rather have that too but it ranks with preferring one brand of toothpaste to another.
Obviously people will disagree with my experience. Just as they might not like my toothpaste.
If one is more readily available than another that will be my choice.

As an owner of both a Tesla and a non-Tesla with CCS I cannot see much difference in practice. Understandably people accustomed to the physically smaller Tesla plug will prefer it.
I'd rather have that too but it ranks with preferring one brand of toothpaste to another.
Obviously people will disagree with my experience. Just as they might not like my toothpaste.
Are you speaking of no real practical difference strictly in terms of the connector, or also availability location, density, reliability, ease of payment, etc?

Are Native Americans still buying Chevy like they used to in the 80's?

Anecdotal as this sounds, when I lived in Flagstaff Az (a college town full of local natives) every single car stereo that I installed into a Native American vehicle was a Chevy Truck, no exceptions, Siverado of course! (This was so often that I learned to pronounce it like the Navajo's, just saying the first few letters of each word while sounding like a gut * punch - "Che* Tru*". No disrespect, it's their tongue, but it's how I remember this fun fact.)

Today, I can't find a single story to corroborate my findings from the 80's or today. But what I did find on Google is that people prefer the Silverado over the F-150 due to the longer bed. So transport capability may have been the winner for the Tribe, in the day. Remote homes, maybe for people or water and supplies vs just tipping a plywood sheet up on the tailgate per the Ford fans. I don't visit Northern Az as often and I can't find tribal sales data even on ChatGPT.

Anyway... I bring this to our attention because it would sure be a shame to see the Tribe leave GM as a key sales demographic right about when their newest Silverado's hit the market. /s

Do tribes generally support the TSLA mission, especially where Nature is concerned? There are a few Super Chargers along the way to Lake Powell, maybe it's happening already, IDK. Also, major respect to the Tribes for wanting to preserve nature from the very start, sadly ignored.. still. Recalling the Crying Indian commercial (not an actual Indian is besides the point) and that was just because of littering.
Where are those superchargers that you said were on the way to Lake Powell? Page is the only one that I have gone to. They need SC in Kanab, Utah and the north rim. Lake doesn't matter anyway. It's dead.

I bought a CCS to NACS adapter and tried charging at several EA stations both in city and rural areas.

It was a MISERABLE experience, all around. The network sucked, but beyond that there were simply frustrations every time I tried to plug the CCS cable into the adapter. It was bulky, difficult to properly place, and . . . . the CABLES. Anyone else notice how CCS cables are like 3-4X the thickness of a V3 supercharger cable?

Respectfully, disagree on this one.