Welcome to Tesla Motors Club
Discuss Tesla's Model S, Model 3, Model X, Model Y, Cybertruck, Roadster and More.
Register

Tesla, TSLA & the Investment World: the Perpetual Investors' Roundtable

This site may earn commission on affiliate links.
Long missing but now fresh out of the TSLAQ sewer Anton Wahlman says Tesla has surrendered key advantage. We're doomed.

Linked for laughs:
But, but what if he is right. I'm scared. /s/s/s/s/s/s/s/s/s

edit - In case I was not clear - /s/s/s/s/s/s/s/s/s/s/s/s/s/s/s/s/s/s/s/s/s

I agree that any advertising should aim to dispel all the misinformation that has become deeply ingrained due to constant repetition of the MSM.

I belong to an online group of women over a certain age who travel solo. Conversations sometimes turn to car rentals and specifically Tesla rentals at Hertz.

I see the same comments over and over as to why no one should ever rent or buy a Tesla: 1) 3 hour charging 2) people don’t know where to look or how to find a supercharger 3) cars blow up/ catch on fire

Same comments over and over. There are some who try to correct these misconceptions, myself among them. But we often get the laughing emoji or even told that we are full of BS.

These women are not idiots. They are often accomplished and well heeled enough to travel the globe. But this is what happens when you just read headlines and don’t do a deep dive into a subject. In my view the many years of repetitive negative headlines has made a real impression on the unsuspecting consumer.
I've heard that Hertz should give better (any) instructions to those driving a Tesla for the first time as it is quite a bit different as you all know.

It's really disheartening that otherwise learned people still believe in those misconceptions and flat out lies about Tesla's (although not all BEV's). Gotta be tough having good friends like that... kinda like politics!

Would love to have a model Y be the featured actor in a good series that shows a lot of what Tesla's can do and how well they're built (panel gaps!).

Charin asking to stay relevant after they messed up with CCS1. You know, all they had to do is move their butts on getting a plug and charge standard done 5 years earlier. Anyways, bye Charin, we won’t miss you.

I belong to an online group of women over a certain age who travel solo. Conversations sometimes turn to car rentals and specifically Tesla rentals at Hertz.

I see the same comments over and over as to why no one should ever rent or buy a Tesla: 1) 3 hour charging 2) people don’t know where to look or how to find a supercharger 3) cars blow up/ catch on fire

Perhaps why they have to travel solo?

Such close-minded people must be a burden to travel with, let alone live with.

1686601489492.png

Charin asking to stay relevant after they messed up with CCS1. You know, all they had to do is move their butts on getting a plug and charge standard done 5 years earlier. Anyways, bye Charin, we won’t miss you.
CharIN is still the main body "controlling" MCS, and the protocols used by CCS, and NACS. So they won't be going anywhere.

Really what is happening is that NACS will become the Type 1 CCS 2.0 connector in everything but name.

But CharIN needs to figure out how to clear the logjam they have. CCS still doesn't have a standard way to offer V2x. Ford gave up an implemented their own protocol over the CCS connector, I don't think anyone else has done it yet.

Hopefully Tesla can exert some pressure over the CharIN process to get that taken care of.

My response is to ask, how much do you worry about what the engine in your car will someday cost to replace? That’s about how much we “worry” about an eventual battery replacement. Like an ICE engine replacement, battery replacement is simply not something most EV owners will ever have to deal with over the time they own it.
Great analogy! I'll try to remember it for the next time (and I 'm sure there will be a next time).

Reactions: FSDtester#1
So what does that make it, 10 days we've closed in the green? Has it been 11 days straight? I know we are close to a record streak but I'm not sure if we beat it yet or not...
For the record, it's a new record (according to Rob Mauer's research).

12 days straight of rising TSLA share price (and up 36.6% in that period):

1686602309861.png

I've heard that Hertz should give better (any) instructions to those driving a Tesla for the first time as it is quite a bit different as you all know.

It's really disheartening that otherwise learned people still believe in those misconceptions and flat out lies about Tesla's (although not all BEV's). Gotta be tough having good friends like that... kinda like politics!

Would love to have a model Y be the featured actor in a good series that shows a lot of what Tesla's can do and how well they're built (panel gaps!).
Further to your Hertz comment, people often have time constraints when on vacation and don’t want to use the time to learn how to drive a new car. So a Hertz rental may not be a good fit for vacationers.

Further to your Hertz comment, people often have time constraints when on vacation and don’t want to use the time to learn how to drive a new car. So a Hertz rental may not be a good fit for vacationers.
Should be mandatory. There should be a question on the reservation page alerting Hertz, but prolly won't happen without intervention by Tesla. It's definitely in their best interest to do so, don't want to leave people with a bad impression after they've driven one of the best vehicles in the world.

I'll leave it to others to give their own, alternate investment strategies, and when theirs have performed better than your (IMO) relatively emotional approach. I'll focus on where you state "I use a formula where I keep 40% of my portfolio in a relatively sure thing (JEPQ ETF with a 16.1% per annum..."

Since it originated a little over a year ago, JEPQ is down 3.9% since May 2022 (see below).

Please don't cherry pick one of your investments and brag about how wise you are to this audience (and insult the rest of us who you declare are 'emotional' for HODL-ing TSLA). Is that where you pulled the 16.1% per annum? out of thin air? You give the misleading impression to any rookie investors on this forum (Goddess bless 'em) that investing in the stock market is simple if only they would just be as smart as you. I'd suggest that people on this forum smarter than you have lost more (and gained more) than you. So what?

Let's remember that the only failsafe investment is a guaranteed investment certificate or bond (and even that isn't absolute: Buddhism teaches us that nothing is permanent. Not the Roman Empire. Not First Republic Bank. Not the Twin Towers. Not a tattoo. Not the impossibility of landing a rocket. Not our "pale blue dot". etc.). Anything else is, relatively speaking, gambling.

Picking a stock, especially over less than a year, is, IMO, 1/3 logic, 1/3 macros / luck, and 1/3 emotion (but many times the market's 'emotion', not the individual's). So maybe you got lucky, maybe you didn't. You didn't pick the safest investment path, you didn't pick the riskiest, but I resent you pontificating that you've got it figured out, especially about when to jump out and when to jump in to TSLA. Good luck with that approach, @Fairchild . Literally.

(Okay, bias disclosure: arrogance is a vice I can't stand. So sorry for this.)

View attachment 946035
Dear Tesla Evangilist,
Wait a minute. Isn't this forum a place to share ideas and strategies? Not trying to be arrogant. Just sharing ideas and approaches.
You may have missed my comment, "I realize this is not for everyone, (there are those who want to invest and walk away, checking back in a year or so), but it works for me."

My my, traveling at breakneck speed from Buddha to the Roman Empire to the Twin Towers, I most certainly tweaked some underlying issues for you and hurt your feelings. I apologize. Your frustration with your losses seems to have just boiled over. Unable to tolerate any views other than your own. Perhaps you should take a look in the arrogance and rigidity mirror.

You know, a simple click would have saved you a full day of angst.

With regard to JPEQ.
You overlooked the fact that I wasn't in the stock a year ago. Stocks aren't static.
The Thin Air
So sorry, it was actually 16.99%

I was referring to the period from January when I got into the stock. Sorry for the misunderstanding.
JPEQ.jpg

And oh my, you completely overlooked the 12.1% annual dividend paid monthly. A nice little bonus.
So happy to see that more than a dozen individuals found the information to be helpful or informative.

I never said the market was simple or implied that I had it all together. The stock market is far from gambling. It requires assessment, study, methodology, and risk. I was just sharing an approach that works for me.

If it doesn't work for you, please find the delete button.

Remember, tolerance and flexibility are virtues as well.

Wishing each of you well and respecting whatever strategy you might choose to use.

Happy and Prosperous Trading!

Just in case any of you thought we are in middle of a great rally… these guys decided to remind us…
View attachment 946259

And I am here scratching my head: who are the “peers” …?

It is a spell-check thing.

They intended to write pee-ers perform at Wolfe. I think it may be one of those company picnic contests.

Last edited:
Should be mandatory. There should be a question on the reservation page alerting Hertz, but prolly won't happen without intervention by Tesla. It's definitely in their best interest to do so, don't want to leave people with a bad impression after they've driven one of the best vehicles in the world.
+ "just checking, but do you have charging at your destination or nearby public chargers?"

Tesla needs to get something set up so rental companies can easily let people use the app on a rental car.

A colleague rented a 3 on vacation, and while their family enjoyed it, it wasn't a full, natural experience.

Which I think is really weird, as everyone I know that has rented a Tesla from Hertz complained about all of the tips/videos that Hertz sent them on how to get in, start, etc. a Tesla.

The one non-Tesla owner that I know that rented one said that the emails were great, and that they watched all of the short videos, and then had no issues getting in or driving the Model 3 on their trip...

From a Google English translation:

The new method is viable, as internal tests have confirmed. PowerCo will therefore continue to invest in the process and initially install a pilot line in a laboratory near Salzgitter... It should now be applied to millions of battery cells by the beginning of 2027, reports Der Spiegel.

In other words, they are four years behind Tesla. I wonder if the Tesla patents will be an issue?

Edit: Gawd I wasted brain cells reading that /r/electricvehicles subreddit thread. They are are a bunch of deranged anti-Tesla (really anti-Elon) idiots.

Last edited: