Welcome to Tesla Motors Club
Discuss Tesla's Model S, Model 3, Model X, Model Y, Cybertruck, Roadster and More.
Register

Tesla, TSLA & the Investment World: the Perpetual Investors' Roundtable

This site may earn commission on affiliate links.
Anybody else notice that today TSLA 'filled the gap' to Sep 30, 2022?

Intraday low then was $262.47 vs today's intraday high at $263.60. So that's 179 trading sessions... :D

View attachment 947736

Cheers to the LEAPS!

View attachment 947738
the creshendo from May to November 2021, followed by the downward waves to 1/6/2023, with the similar upwards movement of 5/21 to 11/21 seemingly being reprised right now, from $100 climbing like a falcon heavy starting to pass "max-q" (they used to barely hit 1,000 kph@1 min, now passing thru 1,200kph @1min )
the FOMO's leaping in for another dizzying ride up

(BTW, Seekin alfies scrape hese commens doan cha kno)

(instigatin self ful phillin prophhecy so I can buy a few more @ $420.69 AND $800.85)
As you zoom in fewer days, the linear regression line slope becomes way more positive :) 🎻 :cool:
1687012100090.png

1687012401833.png

Last edited:
They just had to say "Increase."
The thought that Tesla could adj pricing and have it impact deliveries ending in just 2 weeks is mind blowing control.
Maybe bleeding off some inventory.

That's from Tesla's back end monitoring control center for employees to monitor all the SuC locations. The other website open is "OpsGenie" which is an alerting platform which they could use to have incidents assigned when there are issues with a stall or location.

View attachment 947816

I think they are just showing off their monitoring/integration capability and how much real time visibility they have into their charging network. They've shown some quick screenshots of their internal systems software before, I think it was the virtual power plant monitoring but I am unable to find a link easily.
At the Hawthorne supercharger, the lobby has displays that show this screen.

They just had to say "Increase."
The thought that Tesla could adj pricing and have it impact deliveries ending in just 2 weeks is mind blowing control.
Maybe bleeding off some inventory.

Inventory levels aren't crazy high domestically right now because so many S/X have been shipped around to Europe, South Korea, China, etc but now they're likely trying to front-run inventory growth with the EOQ approaching and those export areas stocked up.

LOL well, that is exactly the point, all those are work in progress and will become much better with time, just like FSD. You can wait until its perfect, or you can have early access. You can't have both. And perfect will happen a lot sooner if early access is the norm as there will be a lot more testing and feedback into the development from the field, probably leading to weekly improvements/stepback patterns that converge much faster. At least FSD beta is an opt-in early access.

And explain to me again maybe why the steepness of the autopilot/fsd turn has to be restricted in Europe, in order to comply with those weird local laws, the software is actually less safe than it could be.

Also consider the possibility that 'experts' from legacy industry are helping shape those laws and policy with an anticompetitive mindset. (They would never cheat like that! VW would never....)
- keeping the front windscreen useful for forwards visibility ought to be a non-negotiable safety feature, no ? not a nice-to-have add-on at the bottom of the future to-do list;

- the ability to park a car without bouncing off other vehicles (aka touchparking) and getting wheelrash is ordinarily a handy thing, especially in places that have parking spots smaller than the state of California;

- the ability to park a car without bouncing off other vehicles (aka touchparking) and getting wheelrash is ordinarily a handy thing, especially in places that have parking spots smaller than the state of California;

I live in a city, drive a fair bit and find the backup camera and auto-tilting mirrors fantastic for parking. I think some people probably need to take some more driving lessons, where you're taught (in the UK at least) to park by reversing where possible. Of course it would be nice to have proper parking assistance and I don't agree with the removal of ultrasonics, but people shouldn't rely on them as much as they seem to.

- keeping the front windscreen useful for forwards visibility ought to be a non-negotiable safety feature, no ? not a nice-to-have add-on at the bottom of the future to-do list;
You mean you can't use the button? I have been driving Tesla Model X 2016, 2020, Model 3 2018 and 2022, and I never had a real issue with visibility through the windshield. I may have used the button a few times when it wasn't doing things on its own right, but I can barely remember because it just seems to be a non-issue here in California. And we do get rain sometimes.
I grew up in germany and always parked my own car. I think maybe we just get spoiled by what's possible nowadays.

I agree with you that it would be nice to have those things fixed sooner than later. Cheers to fast iterations.

I’d love to get other peoples advice. I’ve been a long time holder of Tesla. I have most of my shares with a low cost basis, which I would not consider selling. However, over the last two years, I have added some shares, which are overall breakeven to slightly positive. I’m considering selling those shares to buy Nvidia even though Nvidia is near all-time high. To me, it seems possible that they could continue to revise up revenue estimates over the following quarters. But I’m no expert on Nvidia. Was curious if others have been considering this as well and had any insight.

- the wipers can be operated manually as people have done for decades

- seriously? before cameras existed in cars people had the ability to park without hitting curbs and other objects; I’d suggest you practice in an empty parking lot with friends, the way we did back in the day. Indeed, it was a requirement to parallel park as part of passing a driver’s test, and they didn’t give you a quarter mile of room to do it in either and a curb was involved. Pylons with eggs on top.

I’d love to get other peoples advice. I’ve been a long time holder of Tesla. I have most of my shares with a low cost basis, which I would not consider selling. However, over the last two years, I have added some shares, which are overall breakeven to slightly positive. I’m considering selling those shares to buy Nvidia even though Nvidia is near all-time high. To me, it seems possible that they could continue to revise up revenue estimates over the following quarters. But I’m no expert on Nvidia. Was curious if others have been considering this as well and had any insight.
My insight - you were given the gift of foresight and patience and generosity with Tesla/TSLA, and now greed is creeping in.

I live in a city, drive a fair bit and find the backup camera and auto-tilting mirrors fantastic for parking. I think some people probably need to take some more driving lessons, where you're taught (in the UK at least) to park by reversing where possible. Of course it would be nice to have proper parking assistance and I don't agree with the removal of ultrasonics, but people shouldn't rely on them as much as they seem to.
Teslas (S &X) are so easy to park, I’ve never even tried the self parking feature.

Nvidia is the top of their field, and is worth investing in if you want exposure to multiple industries. But to sell TSLA to buy Nvidia means that you think it will grow more/faster... Take a look at their respective financial statements, their goals for the future, and I'm not sure how anyone could suggest that TSLA won't grow far more if they can execute even half of their vision (which is a legitimate If, but history says they have clearly achieved far more than most expect).

Nothing wrong with picking up different shares for diversity, and owning an interesting part of that industry... It depends on what your investment philosophy is (aka why do you invest?). So if there's a reason for holding NVIDIA beyond pure growth/future earnings, that might make it worthwhile. Also nothing wrong with selling TSLA to make your life better. Just be sure that it's for something you need now, because their fundamentals are getting better all the time...

Imagine asking this question 1 month ago and deciding to sell then... And we're not close to the ATH yet - with TSLA in a far better position now vs then...

- the wipers can be operated manually as people have done for decades

- seriously? before cameras existed in cars people had the ability to park without hitting curbs and other objects; I’d suggest you practice in an empty parking lot with friends, the way we did back in the day. Indeed, it was a requirement to parallel park as part of passing a driver’s test, and they didn’t give you a quarter mile of room to do it in either and a curb was involved. Pylons with eggs on top.
I completely agree with your second paragraph - the cameras in our new Y are amazing - and why do I need a beep or an imaginary line to park? Incidentally, I still sometimes shoulder check and stick my head out my window to park in a really tight space... I guess I'm old school. I like looking out my back window when driving in reverse, it's fun.

Only issue with wipers is that sometimes with even autopilot the wipers go on when it's not raining - that's the only wiper issue I'm aware of that needs fixing. It's not a visibility/safety issue, though, it's just annoying. I have to <sigh, first world problem> switch back to adaptive cruise control.

FSD is not mandatory. I didn't pay for it, Tesla isn't forcing it on anyone, and it's still the best car on the road (bang for buck at least), and the safest. And it keeps improving... I guess I'm just too darn grateful for the things I have, I'm too lazy to complain about the things that aren't perfect.

Nvidia is the top of their field, and is worth investing in if you want exposure to multiple industries. But to sell TSLA to buy Nvidia means that you think it will grow more/faster... Take a look at their respective financial statements, their goals for the future, and I'm not sure how anyone could suggest that TSLA won't grow far more if they can execute even half of their vision (which is a legitimate If, but history says they have clearly achieved far more than most expect).

Nothing wrong with picking up different shares for diversity, and owning an interesting part of that industry... It depends on what your investment philosophy is (aka why do you invest?). So if there's a reason for holding NVIDIA beyond pure growth/future earnings, that might make it worthwhile. Also nothing wrong with selling TSLA to make your life better. Just be sure that it's for something you need now, because their fundamentals are getting better all the time...

Imagine asking this question 1 month ago and deciding to sell then... And we're not close to the ATH yet - with TSLA in a far better position now vs then...

For me, I'm ok being right only once (i.e. TSLA multiple times). There was a time when, even partially now, that I didn't want to be a one hit wonder with a single investment. For now, I angel invest in small amounts with only 1-3% of my portfolio at the max to test out my theories in being able to understand growth investing nowadays in a completely different field and focus in on it. Basically, I want to apply the line of thinking that I used for the TSLA investment elsewhere and see if that applies well selfishly.

As an aside, as this discussion reminds me of it, it sucked to constantly hear negative feedback in investing in TSLA and Elon Musk for so many years even though so many retail investors did it.

You mean you can't use the button? I have been driving Tesla Model X 2016, 2020, Model 3 2018 and 2022, and I never had a real issue with visibility through the windshield. I may have used the button a few times when it wasn't doing things on its own right, but I can barely remember because it just seems to be a non-issue here in California. And we do get rain sometimes.
I think auto-wipers being developed in California is the problem. As a starting place I'm sure its fine.

I'm still on my 2017 Model X - nothing newer - but auto wipers are nearly unusable where I live in north western Oregon (Portland area). I go turn that back on now and then, but the behavior continues to be unreliable at best.

The way I see all of the driver assist technology, the objective of the technology is to make me a safer driver, and to reduce the cognitive load and physical/mental energy consumed by driving. For the 7 years and counting of Model X ownership for me, auto wipers have never achieved either objective. They take time off when I need them, they go into over drive when the window is dry, and they nail it perfectly - speeding up and slowing down appropriately in response to rain and water on the windshield.

As a result I'm putting too much energy into whether or not the windshield is being wiped properly, and missed swipes plus change of focus makes me less safe. Auto pilot definitely makes me a safer driver in many situations - auto wipers do not. Thankfully the solution is easy - turn off the auto wipers.

If the technology doesn't make me safer and / or lower the effort to drive, then I turn it off. It isn't a game to see just how radically interesting and challenging the situation is that the car can get itself through. The objective is to get from here to there, safely, and with as little work as possible.

I particularly like the problem where the windshield is already wet when you get things going, and the wipers come up at full speed, and keep going at full speed even when the window is dry and the wipers are squeaking. For now the timer based intermittent wipers do the job as well as they do for anybody else. T

I completely agree with your second paragraph - the cameras in our new Y are amazing - and why do I need a beep or an imaginary line to park? Incidentally, I still sometimes shoulder check and stick my head out my window to park in a really tight space... I guess I'm old school. I like looking out my back window when driving in reverse, it's fun.

Only issue with wipers is that sometimes with even autopilot the wipers go on when it's not raining - that's the only wiper issue I'm aware of that needs fixing. It's not a visibility/safety issue, though, it's just annoying. I have to <sigh, first world problem> switch back to adaptive cruise control.

FSD is not mandatory. I didn't pay for it, Tesla isn't forcing it on anyone, and it's still the best car on the road (bang for buck at least), and the safest. And it keeps improving... I guess I'm just too darn grateful for the things I have, I'm too lazy to complain about the things that aren't perfect.
Yep, occasionally the wiper ghost wipes on a perfectly sunny day. A couple wipes is usually all it does and then it’s happy to go back to sleep. I can only recall one time it was super persistent and all I did was to tap off ‘auto’ and it stopped. A few minutes later tapped on ‘auto’ and all was right in the world. It’s really not a big deal in the scheme of things.