Welcome to Tesla Motors Club
Discuss Tesla's Model S, Model 3, Model X, Model Y, Cybertruck, Roadster and More.
Register

Tesla, TSLA & the Investment World: the Perpetual Investors' Roundtable

This site may earn commission on affiliate links.
You have source for CATL?

Not doubting, but couldn't find it, just found future plans, just as I had seen before
It would also be interesting to know where EVs imported to Brazil come from.

Cars coming from China might need to be shipped via the Panama Canal?

Looking at a map , importing from Mexico seems more logical.

So perhaps shipping logistics from China to Brazil might be a consideration for Tesla?

Cars from Fremont where shipped to Australia, that is probably a similar distance, but no canal trip required.

Crazy valuation. This goes up while EV market goes down 🤷‍♂️

Something I think could be somewhat of an unconventional catalyst for TSLA would be a successful orbital launch of Starship. That should remind Wall St. of the astronomical achievements of which Elon's endeavors are capable.

Sadly, I'm going to go with no effect. This from a person who, like SmokyPeat, for many years had expected more coupling of TSLA share price with successful events at Spacex as a "de-risking" event at TSLA. Have been "half-carefully" tracking that since. Alas, another missed opportunity for the collective mind that is the market place to be slightly more intelligent. So far as I can tell, the market has not proven to be "smarter than the average picnic basket."

Something I think could be somewhat of an unconventional catalyst for TSLA would be a successful orbital launch of Starship. That should remind Wall St. of the astronomical achievements of which Elon's endeavors are capable.

Especially when docked to a hefty share buyback... ;)

Wall-E ain't gonna take their boot off of TSLA's throat until forced to buy shares, like in August 2020.

You have source for CATL?

Not doubting, but couldn't find it, just found future plans, just as I had seen before
Their first entry was through Moura, which offers a line under the brand Moura Lítio:
That deal happened in 2020:

Those are CATL products, white-labeled as Moura. FWIW, CATL is rather less possessive and protective of branding, following the common pattern of, for example; SAIC with MG, Geely with Volvo and many others.

Most recently:

FWIW, also in 2020 CATL began an abortive Bolivian agreement to extract and refine lithium, which collapsed in politics and technical issues. That has just been resuscitated:

According to my sources this time it seems to be likely, and also appears to link to Brazilian support. That seems plausible in part because of the natural gas supply to Brazil, that used Brazilian technology to develop:
The present Brazil government is strongly supporting these moves, according to statements from Lula.
All these developments coincide directly with Tesla too, since minimizing the China-origin raw materials is a common goal.
Both BYD and CATL as major Tesla suppliers, both already well established in Brazil, Mercosur, and other parts of the Americas.
That not only facilitates the Monterrey Gigafactory, but establishes part of the crucial infrastructure to make integrated Brazilian manufacturing plausible.

Add to that current events:
The cause of the failure is already clear, that a fossil-fuel plant suddenly failed (12.5% of the regions supply is thermal) just as the wind supply rose dramatically (about 12% also) while hydro (about 50%) could not buffer these changes.

What does that have to do with Tesla? First, the bespoke energy management system is too slow to adapt to the rapid changes. Second, the rapid response now required as wind and solar are both growing rapidly there can only be supplied with large stationary storage which is now too small to accomplish that.

of course the recriminations are flying rapidly already, mostly by politicians. Tesla is ideally positioned to fix this mess, together with, probably, CATL. Nothing is more likely to facilitate easy market entry than that. Keeping in mind that State Grid is well established in Brazil, their first foray outside China we also can understand that the good relationship between Tesla and China enhances the possibilities to make this a major opportunity for Tesla Energy. A MegaPack factory will be quite rapid, visible, productive and beneficial.

All this does seem to be an excellent opportunity to advance the Tesla mission for the benefit of everyone.

Last edited:

Sadly, I'm going to go with no effect. This from a person who, like SmokyPeat, for many years had expected more coupling of TSLA share price with successful events at Spacex as a "de-risking" event at TSLA. Have been "half-carefully" tracking that since. Alas, another missed opportunity for the collective mind that is the market place to be slightly more intelligent. So far as I can tell, the market has not proven to be "smarter than the average picnic basket."
The second quote is attributed to @SmokyPeat , yet refers to him in 3rd person. Assume inadvertent quoting of your reply?

Reactions: SmokyPeat