Welcome to Tesla Motors Club
Discuss Tesla's Model S, Model 3, Model X, Model Y, Cybertruck, Roadster and More.
Register

Tesla, TSLA & the Investment World: the Perpetual Investors' Roundtable

This site may earn commission on affiliate links.
if you count the cybertruck as part of the current lineup this is the first picture I've seen of them all in one place.

S.3.C.X.Y

View attachment 966645
Hate to say this but . . . not a great photo; the obvious, it has been taken with wide angle lens and the resulting distortion at either end is a bit misleading. Also negative: the guy, along with the fact all cars are in the shade.

So as this is the weekend, is this the real reason for wtf happened in 1971?

50 Years After Nixon Ended the Gold Standard, Dollar’s Dominance Faces Threat: 50 Years After Nixon Ended the Gold Standard, Dollar’s Dominance Faces Threat

I lived through all of it, especially the oil "shortage" and doubling of gas prices... remember only being able to buy on even or off days based upon the last digits of your car license? And WIN (whip inflation now)?

I wonder why Nixon ended the gold standard! Or, at least, the inflection points that led to that decision

Reactions: unk45 and wipster
I wonder why Nixon ended the gold standard! Or, at least, the inflection points that led to that decision
Brits started it back in the late 20's followed by the States in '33 when Roosevelt came in. Was intended to slow inflation, but totally fiat money had other consequences, as described in the article. Still wonder if those consequences weren't intentional as shown by the graphs in the wtf happened in 1971 article... we're definitely paying for them today.

Back to the M's game!

The first time I saw a Model 3, (which was the day I took delivery of mine in 2018), I was very worried I would never get used to the lack of an instrument panel. That worry disappeared as I was driving it out of the showroom.
I had to exact same experience in early 2018 when I picked up my Model 3. I remember how many people on these forums criticized the lack of an instrument panel. Turned out to be a non-issue.

Fast forward to earlier this month when I took a test drive on a Model S. No stalks but with a round steering wheel. My immediate reaction was the right stalk can go. No brainer. The left stalk would take some getting used to if you're not using FSD but since I use FSD for the vast percentage of drives I hardly turn on my blinkers myself anyway. The horn should be in the center of any wheel. When I asked the sales person why the round wheel he said that is what most people prefer so for now their demo cars use round. At least now buyers have the option so good to see Tesla recognized the yoke or nothing decision was pretty dumb.

Getting rid of the stalks (the right at least) simplifies manufacturing and is one more way Tesla keeps costs down and helps margins. KISS.
I drove a new Mazda yesterday and counted 50+ buttons. Got a headache just trying to figure out how to use the radio. When will legacy auto ever learn Their attachment to the old way means they are swimming against the tide

Time to buy more shares. My financial advisor asked me how do I know when to buy and I just tell him I just use this forum as a guide. Thanks everyone.

Hate to say this but . . . not a great photo; the obvious, it has been taken with wide angle lens and the resulting distortion at either end is a bit misleading. Also negative: the guy, along with the fact all cars are in the shade.
That was a drone picture taken unofficially. Presumably the cars were lined up for a professional photo shoot and we will see a much higher quality image officially released when Tesla has their next event.

A great many truck chargers will have to be manufactured and installed with necessary power supply. This will happen, but over many years and at much cost.
Absolutely, I did say decades:
Tesla will sell every semi made for decades.

Furthermore, I will posit that “a great many” is actually about 1/2 to 1/10th as many chargers as trucks. I could be wrong, 1hr charge means less than 1:24 and it might be as low as 1:1 if cheap. Most likely this will be driven by the utilities obtaining “value” from a smart V2G charger. If enough value, then every vehicle not driving will be plugged in and V2G. Since they provided the use pattern in the video, there’s the likely answer (about 1:2). And “at great cost” will actually be “at great savings in fuel, maintenance and time to plug in vs driving to a truck stop and filling up.” Finally, what’s more difficult producing a truck or a charger? Hmmmm.

Last edited by a moderator:
From an insider who has provided useful info in the past. CT is soon.

IMG_0792.png

Traded in my 2018 M3 today to a 2023 MS to allow for the Q3 FSD transfer window. ("FSDb will be available after a future SW update." Ouch! I knew that, but wow, how long will that be?)

At any rate, my reason for posting on the investor thread is simply a Peter Lynch-style foot traffic observation. Namely, these Tesla locations are so busy with car sales. Whether the activity level is priced-in to the stock or not, it bodes well for Tesla. Unless competitors have already dropped by a delivery center, they would be stunned to see the pace at which Tesla is moving vehicles and the throughput and efficiency of these delivery locations. So very different from competitor's car lots.

I read the other day the latest Rocket Report in Ars Technica. Its title included the phrase "SpaceX Steamroller Rolls." It reported that SpaceX's mass to orbit was 80% of the entire world's volume. What was SpaceX's seemingly laughable effort to compete with the rocket big boys ten years ago is now a fait accompli. I am inclined to think the analogous domination of the automobile industry will seem so obvious in five years that the consensus will rationalize it as inevitable, rather than due to the extraordinarily different ethos that is at the heart of these Musk-led companies. Trying not to just be a fan boy, but those delivery centers. Wow.

A little Google 'Magic Eraser', some spit'n'polish, and... ta-da!

1692481054994.jpeg~2.jpg

So what happened to the quad motor? I recognize that account as often having decent info.
Elon mentioned it last year but latest rumors were that quad went away. There was lot of discussion regarding battery needs for a quad and 500 mile range and a good point was made that they would likely push dual and tri motor first until 4680 advancements and yield could be deployed on a top of the line 500 mi quad motor range. Then again tri motor may end up being the top of the line regardless of battery size.. we'll have to wait and see

1692510166082.png

Cybertruck Oct 2023 — Appears to be on scheduleRoadster Jul 2023 — Delayed until 2024 because Elon flicked the tiger's nutsHighland Nov 2024 — Appears to be way ahead of scheduleTesla Van Jan 2024 — Still on schedule or will it be delayed?SOP = Start Of Production
Interesting details within this supplier list.As we wait for Highland, #Tesla already has "Highland-2" targeted for 2027. The chess masters are always thinking 2 to 3 moves ahead

So what happened to the quad motor?
The IRA $80K price cap for pickups is what happened.

I recognize that account as often having decent info.
Bill Wright is often cyptic, yet accurate-in-hindsight. However with this msg, there's not much left to decypher... ;)

I think Tesla wants to do a Model 3 style delivery event before the end of Q3. That would imply ~30 Cybertrucks (easy to see given the present 1-2/day rate-of-production), plus having completed all the EPA range tests and NHTSA certs.

Back in July of 2017, all the OG Model 3 owners were either Tesla employees, Officers/Directors, or immediate family members (ie: I recall the girlfriend of former Telsa Director Steve Westly got one of the 1st batch of 30 Models 3 at the delivery event). Easy to do now in Austin, the new official home of the badass-est American pickup truck! :D

Cheers to the OG!

Is it mad to consider that Monday may bring final Cybertruck specs announcement and a day for the delivery event?
I certainly wouldn't rule it out. There are normally a few weeks between event date announcement and event, and even if the CT deliveries are end September, its getting close to when we should expect a date.
Latest guesses:
$300 by October 1st
$350 by December 31st
$400 by March 1st.

Deloitte projects the Electric Drivetrain market will exceed the Internal Combustion Engine market in 2027.
Auto makers without a solid EV business will see their business deteriorate over the next 5 years.
Despite this, we see the legacy auto makers dragging their feet.

View attachment 966736

Deloitte provides strategic options to auto suppliers. Options include pivoting to electrification by spinning off their EV parts business (to focus resources there) or to divest their ICE segment.

1692531074593.png