Welcome to Tesla Motors Club
Discuss Tesla's Model S, Model 3, Model X, Model Y, Cybertruck, Roadster and More.
Register

Tesla, TSLA & the Investment World: the Perpetual Investors' Roundtable

This site may earn commission on affiliate links.
Most efficient way to run a project is One Engineer.
For me, this does not hold. If I'm working on my own, the velocity is very high, but do I go in the right direction?
When I work together with at least one other engineer, we now have two pairs of eyes to look at the same problem, and the second pair of eyes will definitely point out some flaws in my reasoning.

Step 4 of the 5 Step Process of Elon contains this: "if you're digging your grave, don't dig it faster, stop digging your grave."

Tesla wins a large part of the EU subsidies for fast chargers:
134 million euro (of a total of 352) for “The project aims at deploying 6,458 recharging points (250 kW) for LDV in 613 locations in 16 countries (AT, BE, BG, DE, ES, FI, FR, IE, IT, LV, LT, LU, NL, RO, SK, SE) along the Core and Comprehensive Network. The project foresees both the deployment of new recharging stations and the replacement of existing outdated recharging points not satisfying the requirement of the ca in terms of recharging capacity and open-accessibility.”
And another similar one of 15 million euro for 6 eastern european countries (740 chargers in 74 locations).

So it looks like Tesla is going to upgrade all old superchargers with EU subsidies.

Tesla Semi is killing it with 729 miles in one day with some extra charging during delivery stops.

Outstanding.

IMG_6396.jpeg
IMG_6395.jpeg

134 million euro (of a total of 352) for “The project aims at deploying 6,458 recharging points (250 kW) for LDV in 613 locations in 16 countries (AT, BE, BG, DE, ES, FI, FR, IE, IT, LV, LT, LU, NL, RO, SK, SE) along the Core and Comprehensive Network. The project foresees both the deployment of new recharging stations and the replacement of existing outdated recharging points not satisfying the requirement of the ca in terms of recharging capacity and open-accessibility.”
And another similar one of 15 million euro for 6 eastern european countries (740 chargers in 74 locations).

So it looks like Tesla is going to upgrade all old superchargers with EU subsidies.

Cool, do you have an idea when the money will start to flow? The document you linked says "final"..

Also interesting how much more charging points Tesla plans to build compared to the competitors, noone even close. Second is at around 1500 compared to Tesla´s 6458. All others seem to be more specialized (certain region, just one corridor, hydrogen). None of the well known networks (ionity, fastned) to be found. Why?

EU looking into possible market distortion by cheap subsidized Chinese EVs, might affect Tesla too indirectly by slowing down Chinese competitors:

That document also explains the existence of the Macedonian Gap and the Serbian Scarcity, the Albanian Absence and the Missing Montenegro, along with the Bosnian Black Hole.

All of which makes taking a BEV southwards through the Balkans a somewhat tedious and fraught experience.

(praise be to whoever did put those two sites into Serbia, but we need more)

1694601274432.png

Cool, do you have an idea when the money will start to flow? The document you linked says "final"..

Also interesting how much more charging points Tesla plans to build compared to the competitors, noone even close. Second is at around 1500 compared to Tesla´s 6458. All others seem to be more specialized (certain region, just one corridor, hydrogen). None of the well known networks (ionity, fastned) to be found. Why?
Funding is coming from the EU CEF Transport programme, specifically the Alternative Fuels Infrastructure Facility calls: Funding & tenders

You can see that the last cutoff for proposals was April, so likely the evaluation process that produced the award would have finalised recently, hence it became public. Typically the time to grant following notification of the award is around 3 months, so before the end of the year, although if Tesla know the money is coming the could typically start sooner

Once the grant is signed, it will appear on this page: Funding & tenders

Edit: I see @NicoV found the CINEA evaluation results PDF, which is some good sleuthing, I didn't even realise it was publicly available. More info here: Transport infrastructure: over EUR 352 million of EU funding to boost greener mobility

And yes, EU has been throwing money at hydrogen since forever, they used to have a Joint undertaking call FCH "Fuel Cell Hydrogen" running, I'm not sure what happened to that though

Last edited:

Ionity got some subsidies from an earlier call: https://cinea.ec.europa.eu/system/f...mmunication item_List of projects_FINAL_0.pdf

I couldn’t find any deadlines on the page linking to the pdf: Alternative fuels infrastructure: €352 million in EU funding for low-and zero-emission transport projects

Funding is coming from the EU CEF Transport programme, specifically the Alternative Fuels Infrastructure Facility calls: Funding & tenders

You can see that the last cutoff for proposals was April, so likely the evaluation process that produced the award would have finalised recently, hence it became public. Typically the time to grant following notification of the award is around 3 months, so before the end of the year, although if Tesla know the money is coming the could typically start sooner

Once the grant is signed, it will appear on this page: Funding & tenders

Edit: I see @NicoV found the CINEA evaluation results PDF, which is some good sleuthing, I didn't even realise it was publicly available. More info here: Transport infrastructure: over EUR 352 million of EU funding to boost greener mobility

And yes, EU has been throwing money at hydrogen since forever, they used to have a Joint undertaking call FCH "Fuel Cell Hydrogen" running, I'm not sure what happened to that though

Article with some good context: Neue EU-Ladeförderung: Tesla soll 149 Mio. Euro bekommen – 42% von gesamtem Budget

- this is round four of 5, so the other charging companies I was missing could have been in the previous ones (EDIT: looks like I was right, thanks @NicoV )
- this round has 352MEuro, more than twice the 160M of the previous rounds combined
- 42% of this round goes to Tesla, similar looks like recently in the US

Last edited:
Article with some good context: Neue EU-Ladeförderung: Tesla soll 149 Mio. Euro bekommen – 42% von gesamtem Budget

- this is round four of 5, so the other charging companies I was missing could have been in the previous ones
- this round has 352MEuro, more than twice the 160M of the previous rounds combined
- 42% of this round goes to Tesla, similar looks like recently in the US

There’s a billion euro available in round 4 and 5, so that means still 650 million euro available in round 5. It looks like the first rounds were for major routes, and the following rounds for less major routes. That bodes well for Tesla, since they are now filling up spots in less major rout’s.

edit: link with budgets CEF Transport Alternative Fuels Infrastructure Facility call for proposal

Last edited:
That document also explains the existence of the Macedonian Gap and the Serbian Scarcity, the Albanian Absence and the Missing Montenegro, along with the Bosnian Black Hole.

All of which makes taking a BEV southwards through the Balkans a somewhat tedious and fraught experience.

(praise be to whoever did put those two sites into Serbia, but we need more)

View attachment 973508
Still, there are a large number of decent level 2 AC options in these places. I’ve used them in Montenegro, as well as Nothern Greece, including Corfu where I’m diving an EV right now, if a Kia Niro EV counts. Fast charging options are nearly nonexistent, and those are the ones people count, even if Level 2 AC does the job overnight even where they are not listed anywhere.

Heh, Ron Barron just called the Tesla $25K compact the "Model 2" on CNBC! :D

One concern I have - Ron Baron said they'd be up (in terms of units of cars sold) only 20-30% this year, and the same next year. Just for context:

In 2022, Tesla sold 1.31 million units

Based off of 20% unit growth projections:

2023 - 1.57 million units
2024 - 1.89 million units

Based off of 30% unit growth projections:

2023 - 1.7 million units
2024 - 2.21 million units

These numbers are extremely conservative, aren't they? If Tesla sells 1.57-1.7 million units in 2023, I think TSLA is guaranteed to crash back into the $100s.

So is Ron Baron just spitballing conservative numbers, or does he have some kind of guidance directly from Tesla?