Welcome to Tesla Motors Club
Discuss Tesla's Model S, Model 3, Model X, Model Y, Cybertruck, Roadster and More.
Register

Tesla, TSLA & the Investment World: the Perpetual Investors' Roundtable

This site may earn commission on affiliate links.
In my opinion the solution here for Tesla could be to offer two different FSD packages:

1) personal licence for personal use only
2) personal use + access to the Tesla RoboTaxi Network.

Going forward the Robotaxi license will be worth a significant sum, and will be able to be priced appropriately for margin on initial sale and profit share of future taxi revenue, meanwhile the personal license price can fluctuate and set itself at the "right" level to maximise individual take up and returns.
I was trying to promote that this was gonna happen probably four years ago or so.

For some reason the idea seemed to offend a lot of the regulars and almost no one thought that would happen.

Still seems a given to me.

I was trying to promote that this was gonna happen probably four years ago or so.

For some reason the idea seemed to offend a lot of the regulars and almost no one thought that would happen.

Still seems a given to me.
strange that people would object to this.

Many people would not want to put their Tesla out for RoboTaxi business, so would make sense that they could opt for a FSD license that did not have that functionality.

With talk of OEM's potentially licensing FSD, this structure could also be a way of pricing it in a more affordable manner to attract that business to Tesla.

@Usain

I have used superchargers 205 times in 16 months
7,280 kwh at a cost of 36 cents a kwh, $2,596.85
with a range of 25 cents to 54 cents a kwh

I have manufactured, and used, from "virtually zero marginal cost" sunlight (free)
1,140 kwh at a cost of 2.6 cents a kwh, $29.64 (My Electric utility values it at that cost to purchase)

I expect in that ~$2,560+ difference, somewhere, Tesla gets their cut, multiplied by 10's of 1,000's of others charging and the number will rapidly climb as others join the NACS wave

I suspect that whilst I'm a single data point, and a road tripper, I'm fairly representative, especially as free supercharging goes away
You are responding to @Usain regarding supercharging, whereas he was talking L2 charging:

Usain said:
The days of free and low-cost L2 public charging are numbered.

Some poster on here knew somebody who was looking into having Tesla L2 and were told by Tesla they charged 1c/kWh for L2 payment processing in their program.

This isn't charger management, it's just handling payment.

L2 home and destination chargers are going to the most used by owners. It's also a major barrier to adoption. Adding significant cost is the opposite of what's needed.

I see significant opportunity for Tesla, especially through wider adoption of NACS, and I expect Tesla to do it the Tesla way, with a focus on low cost.

That's much more in line with what I expected when I posted suggesting the idea that Tesla would take a 50% cut didn't seem likely based on the tweet and their previous modus operandi...

strange that people would object to this.

Many people would not want to put their Tesla out for RoboTaxi business, so would make sense that they could opt for a FSD license that did not have that functionality.

With talk of OEM's potentially licensing FSD, this structure could also be a way of pricing it in a more affordable manner to attract that business to Tesla.
A lot of the frequent posters here, some the same as today, seemed to think that everybody would want to pay some insane sum for FSD and everyone would get rich from robotaxi. The concept of many not wanting to do that and also not wanting to pay more than some reasonable sum per month for personal use was considered an insult to Elon who at the time said FSD would be worth more than the car itself or something like that.

I think we are about to get swamped with the numbers anytime so not the best time for this discussion now.

Indeed. For those who haven't been there, this matches the Bucees' chain business model very well.
Go in, wander in wonder at all the amazing beaver-themed crap you might buy for 10-15 minutes. Bathroom break, buy a snack/drink, go out to your Tesla, and drive away fully charged.
Disclaimer: I plan to charge at Bucees later today as I cross Texas. May or may not buy some Beaver Nuggets.
Post trip: Beaver Nuggets confirmed. Solid charging experience all around. ;)

john-travolta-meme.gif

Post trip: Beaver Nuggets confirmed. Solid charging experience all around. ;)

I've charged at several Buc-ees now in Florida, South Carolina, and Tennessee. They've all been awesome and I do think charging destinations like this make a lot of sense. Also we've stayed at a lot of Hilton's which seem to have Tesla wall plugs most of the time too.

Imagine how robust the charging network will be in a few years! Charging and range anxiety will one day be a distant memory.

AUSTIN, Texas, October 2, 2023 – In the third quarter, we produced over 430,000 vehicles and delivered over 435,000 vehicles. A sequential decline in volumes was caused by planned downtimes for factory upgrades, as discussed on the most recent earnings call. Our 2023 volume target of around 1.8 million vehicles remains unchanged.

ProductionDeliveriesSubject to operating lease accounting
Model S/X13,68815,9858%
Model 3/Y416,800419,0744%
Total430,488435,0594%