Welcome to Tesla Motors Club
Discuss Tesla's Model S, Model 3, Model X, Model Y, Cybertruck, Roadster and More.
Register

Tesla, TSLA & the Investment World: the Perpetual Investors' Roundtable

This site may earn commission on affiliate links.
Europe and New Zealand will be getting it. No plans to sell it in the US unfortunately.
Wow and it's not at all expensive, around £50k they reckon. Might grab one of those given that the Roadster II is unlikely to arrive in Europe any time soon, plus with the price-tag I could keep my Model X and have a little toy for playing, keep both my wife and myself happy...

Not sure if this has already been discussed here or not. Thought this was some interesting speculation on the cybertruck weight.

The math (his math looks wrong but thought the smart people here could figure this out)

Semi Tractor: 10k pounds
“NextGen” Car Hauler: 43k pounds
Total = 53k pounds → leaving 27k pounds (80k max minus 53k) for cargo.

There are 5 cybertruck on the hauler.

27k/5 = 5,400 lbs max per cybertruck.

Seems low so the above assumptions may be off.
Semi tractor is NOT 10k lbs.

From Jay Leno: Dan Priestly stated the GVW of the Semi hauling a Semi was 60k-70k lbs.

From some Internet commenter: Trailer used in Leno segment was 18k lbs.

From math: Semi tractor weight is between 21k and 26k lbs.

Last edited:
So the new cheap Model Y is available in the US for $36,490 after the tax credit. That translates to around £30,000. The cheapest Model Y in the UK is £44,990. So we are paying 50% more than you for the same car. Don't let me hear any of you Americans complain about anything, ever :)
As someone else mentioned it doesn't seem you are accounting for taxes, and you can't just exclude the tax credit that some people are eligible for. Tesla gets all of that money, even if the person doesn't qualify for all, or any of it.

Reactions: uscbucsfan

From Jay Leno: Dan Priestly stated the GVW of the Semi hauling a Semi was 60k-70k lbs.

From math: Semi weight is between 21k and 26k lbs.

He’s referring to the semi hauling cybertrucks.
It looks like a day cab diesel semi tractor. Those typically weigh 10k to 15k pounds

From math: Semi weight is between 21k and 26k lbs.

YEah I don't know anything about Semis or car carriers. But I did watch the Leno segment and that trailer did not look like a Nextgen Car hauler...so not sure how accurate that comparison is. However, maybe his 43k assumption is too high, but Looking at their website, they do have car haulers that weigh that much.

Either way, we should be finding out soon, all just speculation.

I have had two of these on order for about two weeks. Unfortunately, my fervent plea to Tesla to provide better shipping guidance than “expect to start in October”, as it is hellish getting an electrician to schedule a work day, generated nothing better than “some time in October.”deleted deleted deleted deleted
My two Universal Wall Chargers are scheduled to arrive today! The note came in on Tuesday….at 0349🤪

So? We know the weight of the tractor from Leno, so his 10k lbs assertion is wrong.

You are leaving out an important qualifier.

"the tractor" doesn't have a specific weight.

"the Tesla Semi tractor" does.

The post you are replying to is talking about a non Tesla Semi tractor hauling Tesla Cybertrucks. So the weight of the Tesla Semi doesn't apply in that math.

You mentioning the Leno video about the Tesla Semi doesn't apply either.

The "non Tesla semi tractor" in question is seen here

1696516951874.jpeg

Last edited:
My two Universal Wall Chargers are scheduled to arrive today! The note came in on Tuesday….at 0349🤪
This is awesome news. I didn't know they were shipping to customers yet.

The Universal charger is a very important piece of the puzzle. I hope Tesla can ramp production quickly because demand in North America should be quasi-infinite for the next few years.

Link to the new charger’s thread below, but first, in reply to @Usain, it is pleasant that Tesla, which had declared “Shipments to begin in October”…did indeed ship mine some time on October 1.
Now, that must be a first for the company!

As a "Brit" there is no Tesla model to suit me anymore, it's a shame. Doesn't look like we are ever going to get the Roadster in RHD form, which is what I'd really want, or the current S as a RHD either. This is really annoying! I'm just not into the other "everyman" family 3/Y models either, so I'm going traitor and I've ordered one of these for delivery next year.

I'll not be selling any more TSLA though, until we're over at least $500!

Don't all hate me too much will you.

View attachment 979569
That is fantastic. Tesla can't do it alone. The MG Cyberster. I wonder where they got that name from? Should have called it the Cyberstar. Good on you MG, even if not available in North America. Hope they hit their 2024 delivery target. EVs truly are exiting. The more EVs replacing ICE the better.

Pepsi Confirms that They Have Gotten Over 500 Mile Runs Loads Up to the US Highway Max of 82,000 lbs

The Tesla Semis being deployed out of Sacramento run two different types of routes: long-haul routes that transport between 250 and 520 miles per run and with a gross vehicle weight plus load of up to 82,000 lbs.

In couple of years the 72 Semis will be 72K semis ..
So... to clarify: that bold-faced text is actually not a headline for that article, but rather a caption on a video within it that doesn't say that, or is even talkng about the runs. It's talking about battery chemistries.

Nowhere in that article, nor in the Pepsico article it references, does it discuss if thet was a run without charging.. it just simply says that's the length of one of their routes.

The Run On Less Event Stats Page has the graphs, and I had been doing some calcs as @GhostSkater was posting them from the various days to determine likely full-charge range based on their charging sessions, and didn't see any where they had gone a full 500 miles without charging. And extrapolating out he mileage from the amount of charge they did use got them close, but never 500 for a full charge that I saw, but they also were often travelling >55mph for good chunks too.

So, while I suspect they are indeed capable of 500 miles on a charge when doing 55, as has been stated, I don't see anything saying PepsiCo has hauled 82K lbs 520 miles without charging... and if you are going to stop and charge, you could just as easily say "800" miles.

So... to clarify: that bold-faced text is actually not a headline for that article, but rather a caption on a video within it that doesn't say that, or is even talkng about the runs. It's talking about battery chemistries.

Nowhere in that article, nor in the Pepsico article it references, does it discuss if thet was a run without charging.. it just simply says that's the length of one of their routes.

The Run On Less Event Stats Page has the graphs, and I had been doing some calcs as @GhostSkater was posting them from the various days to determine likely full-charge range based on their charging sessions, and didn't see any where they had gone a full 500 miles without charging. And extrapolating out he mileage from the amount of charge they did use got them close, but never 500 for a full charge that I saw, but they also were often travelling >55mph for good chunks too.

So, while I suspect they are indeed capable of 500 miles on a charge when doing 55, as has been stated, I don't see anything saying PepsiCo has hauled 82K lbs 520 miles without charging... and if you are going to stop and charge, you could just as easily say "800" miles.
The run (start to destination) is 520 miles, not the distance between charges (which I don't see claimed).

Driver can't do 520 miles nonstop unless averaging 65MPH which is 10 over the California speed limit due to 8 hour limit before their 30 minute break.

The run (start to destination) is 520 miles, not the distance between charges (which I don't see claimed).

Driver can't do 520 miles nonstop unless averaging 65MPH which is 10 over the California speed limit due to 8 hour limit before their 30 minute break.

I pointed out that was the run distance when I said, it "says that's the length of one of their routes."

So I was clarifying (as I also stated), that it appears to be a run with charging, because, quite frankly, to say " Pepsi Confirms that They Have Gotten Over 500 Mile Runs" if you are including charging could leave some with the wrong impression.

If you are going to include charging stops, why not say over 750?:

1696520988449.png

So 10-11 mths of real world testing hauling chips :) and now we have this ...

Now, the automaker is making another move that gives us some hope that things are about to get moving for Tesla Semi at Giga Nevada.

Tesla has listed 10 new jobs related to building designing and building a high volume Tesla Semi production line at Gigafactory Nevada over the last few days:

I pointed out that was the run distance when I said, it "says that's the length of one of their routes."

So I was clarifying (as I also stated), that it appears to be a run with charging, because, quite frankly, to say " Pepsi Confirms that They Have Gotten Over 500 Mile Runs" if you are including charging could leave some with the wrong impression.

If you are going to include charging stops, why not say over 750?:

View attachment 979852
Gotcha!
Yeah 'serviced runs of over 500 miles' would be less ambiguous than "gotten runs over 500 miles". Though in both cases the use of 500 miles adds some level of ambiguity since that is the semi's range estimate.

They don't say over 750 because the run wasn't 770, it was 520 (over 500). The semi can do both legs in a day, but that's two runs, not a single 1,000 run.