Welcome to Tesla Motors Club
Discuss Tesla's Model S, Model 3, Model X, Model Y, Cybertruck, Roadster and More.
Register

Tesla, TSLA & the Investment World: the Perpetual Investors' Roundtable

This site may earn commission on affiliate links.
I doubt that the marginal cost is close to 0 as I think they need to pay the cellular carriers for the considerably more data.

This. And license costs. When I knew someone in Tesla management a few years ago, this person commented that Tesla hated the ride-sharing Tesla groups that were using the cars with unlimited data because they played streaming music in the car for 16h a day it cost Tesla a small fortune. Telsa supposedly had to pay a small license charge for each song on IIRC TuneIn or some other service they had bundled with the car, and it was not modeled for excessively high usage like this.

Data costs were negotiated in bulk, and continue a downward trajectory, but I could see someone that uses NetFlix or another streaming service in the car for hours on end using more data than what they model for.

Smart move by Tesla. I just purchased my 3rd Tesla (arriving next month) and I too saw that the free period was reduced to 30days.
Does anyone have a good guess on what Tesla profits on this?
If they charge $100 a year, what is their cost?
The Tesla US price is $9.99 per month or $99 per year. AT&T is their vendor, which has a very extensive list of vehicle access options. The Tesla plan excludes software updates, which still require a wifi connection. AT&T wholesale pricing is not posted, and in any event has a huge variety of options.

I consulted with a roughly comparable source to try to get an idea about both cost to Tesla and other factors.
First, the assumption is that the vehicle navigation system caches everything recently used including routes, and that the bulk of all data is achieved during the regular wifi updates.
Second, the actual Premium Connectivity functions are minimized to include vehicle traffic data changes and other rapidly changing data.
Third, given both fleet size and usage patterns, the Tesla/At&T arrangements certainly constitute high value to both. It there for is safe to assume that the trip connectivity is a cost shared between AT&T and Tesla.
Fourth, The AT&T pricing undoubtedly contains many performance metrics on both parts.
Fifth, AT&T has benefited enormously by the fleet arrangements with Tesla which provided much of the mobile technology support needed by AT&T.

Given all that, my best estimate is that cost to Tesla for subscription support is around $2 per month per connected vehicle after free connectivity. The initial free connectivity incurs no incremental cost to Tesla, except for special offers extending the one month that probably are at the standard $2 per month.

That estimate is probably not exactly correct, but certainly reflects the accurate range. So, why so cheap?
Really, that one is not complex.
1. Roughly half the total telecom service cost for data services is in initial installation, billing, collecting, customer service and credit losses. That data was roughly accurate for telecomm provided data services three years ago in the US for one large provider, not AT&T.
2. One of the remaining largest costs is serving routine customer issues with connectivity issues of many sources, as well as consumer education.
In the Tesla case, as in nearly all wholesale cases, all that servicing is done by the customer owners, i.e. Tesla, in this case.

If these assumptions are accurate, even roughly, the Tesla margins on Premium Connectivity must exceed 80%.

Connectivity requires a cell connection which is an external cost. The features may be free-ish at volume, but the infrastructure/ data is not.

All Tesla cars have a cell connection, Tesla calls it "Basic Connectivity". The $10/mth fee is for more data types (ie: live traffic, Sattelite map imagery in Navigation, Streaming Audio, Youtube, Netflix, Disney+) and is called "Premium Connectivity. No addtional infrastructure is required, and Tesla likely already makes bulk purchase arrangments for data with cellular carriers. Notably, Starlink v2 will extend "Basic Connectivity" to the boonies, where there are no cell phone towers. Thanks, Elon! ;)

I doubt that the marginal cost is close to 0 as I think they need to pay the cellular carriers for the considerably more data.
It's true that data cost is unknown. I suspect it's quite small as data on cell plans have become cheap or free.

It appears that premium connectivity also comes with ads. So it's possible that the extra data cost could be more than offset by the ad revenue. It's even possible that marginal cost for adding a new user is not just zero, but something even better because of the ad revenue. In other words, it may be true that Tesla would still make money from new users even if they went back to charging nothing for it.

Maybe someone here has more info on the ad revenue?

Reactions: dhrivnak and unk45
All Tesla cars have a cell connection, Tesla calls it "Basic Connectivity". The $10/mth fee is for more data types (ie: live traffic, Sattelite map imagery in Navigation, Streaming Audio, Youtube, Netflix, Disney+) and is called "Premium Connectivity. No addtional infrastructure is required, and Tesla likely already makes bulk purchase arrangments for data with cellular carriers. Notably, Starlink v2 will extend "Basic Connectivity" to the boonies, where there are no cell phone towers. Thanks, Elon! ;)

It's not the data that's the expensive part. It's license fees for the songs with the bundled music service (not Spotify, which you login with your own account for). A penny here, a penny there, for every time a song is played, adds up for some "excessive" users.

Stockholm created an environmental zone class 3 for 20 blocks - no diesel or gas vehicles allowed.

"The area bordered by four streets in Stockholm’s center, which cover roughly 20 blocks, will become a so-called environmental zone class 3, according to a report by SVT, a national news outlet in Sweden. That zone classification means no diesel or gas vehicles will be permitted to drive within it."

This could accelerate the EV transition, mid-tail end. When I'm in a parking lot, I tend to hold my breath, a lot. I didn't used to do this when I drove ICE (and never used to mind bar smoke until I quite that as well. Oh, that Florida bar recently... gag me with a spoon! And my clothes really stunk!

The stuff we realize after we quit... sheesh! Now about that sugar... at least it is sweet (vs sweet crude oil).

Honestly, I think we need some optimistic comments from Elon. If he goes into all of the challenges with production and/or macro environment, I think it will be bad for the price action... media tends to gravitate towards the bad news. Not suggesting he gloss over things, but he has (at times) gone down a rabbit hole and spend disproportionate time there, which is neither useful nor insightful at this point.

Seeing how many of the other manufacturers are doing, indicates that the price cuts Tesla did a few months ago was actually staying ahead of game. Seems like they saw some indications of slowness and challenges others were facing and decided to go for volume. Casting this in a good light (despite the impact to margins) will be useful for the street to hear.
Good luck with that. Elon will do anything to push blame on results onto outside reasons.

One large question is how much the various streaming options add to costs. There are several potential litigants, especially for subscription-based ones from Tidal to netflix, etc. The subscription-based ones are quite adept at paying the destination provider for placement. Generally, the higher the monthly subscription cost/higher the individual stream cost, the higher the payment for placement. Neither Tesla nor other OEM's offer those placements for free, they are paid for the offer and paid incrementally for paid activity. In my earlier post on this subject I ignored streaming because while it is impossible to quantify without direct access to contracts and activity, it seemed simpler to assume that AT&T data usage might well balance condensation for seeming sources. Too simple to eb sure, but there is no data. On balance I'd bet that streaming makes money for Tesla.

All that will trend differently as Starlink develops further. AT&T might be thinking, since T-Mobile was the first to buy into Starlink. Obviously that is a related topic.

This. And license costs. When I knew someone in Tesla management a few years ago, this person commented that Tesla hated the ride-sharing Tesla groups that were using the cars with unlimited data because they played streaming music in the car for 16h a day it cost Tesla a small fortune. Telsa supposedly had to pay a small license charge for each song on IIRC TuneIn or some other service they had bundled with the car, and it was not modeled for excessively high usage like this.

Data costs were negotiated in bulk, and continue a downward trajectory, but I could see someone that uses NetFlix or another streaming service in the car for hours on end using more data than what they model for.
There’s always someone. The problem is Tesla rarely, if ever, accounts for that someone.

The someone who would tie a fruit to the steering wheel to stop nag, or place a bowling ball in the driver’s seat to go sit in the back, or plug in at a supercharger instead of charging half a block away at home, or stay parked at a supercharger for 6 hours while they power shopped at a mall followed by dinner, or, or, or.

And nobody ever thinks they’re that person; the selfish, inconsiderate, entitled doofus.

Last edited:
Watch a Youtube video. Many begin with 1-or-2 30-sec Ads. The question is whetherTesla gets any revenue sharing from Alphabet for displaying the ads.
No, they wouldn’t. I have YouTube premium, so I see zero ads on YouTube even in my car since I can log into my account.

Edit, on a side note, it would be nice to be able to at least play YouTube audio while driving since I often just listen to various channels.

Honestly, I think we need some optimistic comments from Elon. If he goes into all of the challenges with production and/or macro environment, I think it will be bad for the price action... media tends to gravitate towards the bad news. Not suggesting he gloss over things, but he has (at times) gone down a rabbit hole and spend disproportionate time there, which is neither useful nor insightful at this point.

Seeing how many of the other manufacturers are doing, indicates that the price cuts Tesla did a few months ago was actually staying ahead of game. Seems like they saw some indications of slowness and challenges others were facing and decided to go for volume. Casting this in a good light (despite the impact to margins) will be useful for the street to hear.
That's a great point. Elon tends to go all "doom and gloom" during earnings calls. I think his internal motivation for this is good--I think he's trying to be "transparent" about the real challenges they face, just as any company faces.

But of course Wall Street interprets that as "Tesla's in trouble", when in reality all automakers face similar issues and challenges, and in fact Tesla tends to overcome them more easily.

I agree--he can still be honest without focusing on the negatives, and price reaction will reflect this.

It's true that data cost is unknown. I suspect it's quite small as data on cell plans have become cheap or free.

It appears that premium connectivity also comes with ads. So it's possible that the extra data cost could be more than offset by the ad revenue. It's even possible that marginal cost for adding a new user is not just zero, but something even better because of the ad revenue. In other words, it may be true that Tesla would still make money from new users even if they went back to charging nothing for it.

Maybe someone here has more info on the ad revenue?
The components of ad revenue on placements generally has two components:
-price per reach: payment for every display: Since internet that placement revenue depends on the value to the seller of that specific placement, so depends on specific demographics/psychographics. Tesla buyers have superb value, so long as the septic demographics match the product, an easy job for Tesla.
-price per close: payment for actual sale: Tesla streaming for paid content is certainly quiet high, enough to pay times over for the data costs.

By the way, the merchandising side is now vestigial, but each foray thus far has been a money-spinner and attention-grabber. That will continue, and will expand is highly septic offers, just as it has been.

These are some manifestations of Tesla's ability to manage marketing in serious 21st century style. Those who argue for the 1960's style really do not understand just how advanced Tesla is already. For context, they're wasting a bit of money to satisfy the individual and institutional investors who imagine that general media can help. Of course it is a waste of money for all OEM's but general advertising is precisely analogous to cigarettes or illicit drugs: people only find out how bad they are when they're already addicted. (the foregoing analogy is courtesy of a Chiat/Day/LA executive with whom I was working on behalf of a major automotive OEM that STILL is deeply addicted even as the evidence grows)

There’s always someone. The problem is Tesla rarely, if ever, accounts for that someone.

The someone who would tie a fruit to the steering wheel to stop nag, or place a bowling ball in the driver’s seat to go sit in the back, or plug in at a supercharger instead of charging half a block away at home, or stay parked at a supercharger for 6 hours while they power shopped at a mall followed by dinner, or, or, or.

And nobody ever thinks they’re that person; the selfish, inconsiderate, entitled doofus.
I might have been a catalyst for idle fees being implemented at superchargers. Back in 2016, I built a bed in my model S and set out on a 2.5 month tour of the continental USA. At that time, superchargers outside of California were nearly always vacant except for me, and often true even in California outside of major cities.

Several nights, I arrived at a supercharger that seemed in a safe area and maybe even picturesque and I would plug in and then go to sleep. I doubt I ever blocked anyone from charging as traffic was so rare at superchargers back then. I did move to empty non charging spaces when I was at a location that seemed to have any other traffic. However, the day after I returned home is when Tesla announced idle fees.

Even without the idle fees, I wouldn't try something like that today, but still see how rude that potentially was. My bad.