Welcome to Tesla Motors Club
Discuss Tesla's Model S, Model 3, Model X, Model Y, Cybertruck, Roadster and More.
Register

Tesla, TSLA & the Investment World: the Perpetual Investors' Roundtable

This site may earn commission on affiliate links.
Ford to pull 12B of future EV investments due to reduced demand

You know, I really thought Tesla's ZEV credits would gradually dwindle as the OEM's ramped up their own EV sales. Now I think Tesla will be enjoying abundant ZEV credits for a long time to come yet. Sad for the OEM's but good for Tesla!

The Q3 Tesla Energy numbers add credibility to the arguments that Megapacks will have strong margins for a while.

During the Q1 call, we heard that mid-20% gross margin was the target for energy storage

Not only higher margins at time of deployment, but also a high ongoing revenue stream (milestones, maintenance contracts).

The 10-Q revealed that Tesla added the equivalent of $0.56/share in deferred revenue, now buried in it's books for TE projects delivered in Q3. All that revenue will be recognized downstream, as if gifted from some majik faerie... WALL-E!

TE revenue will be like a tsunami of cash rolling in, qtr-after-qtr, yr-after-yr. :D

My Tesla 10-Q Hot Takes | James Stephenson (Oct 24, 2023)

Last edited:
Exactly. VW and Ford will need to buy more credits from Tesla. Apparently it's cheaper vs making their own EVs. Short-term fix and will only so slightly postpone their demise. Or government bailouts...

Bah! I want to see those talking airheads on CNBC Television drag Jim Chanos back on set and ask him to tell us all, one more time, THE COMPETITION IS COMING. Going, going, gone, Jimbo... :p

It's CHANOS Day, again..jpg

TL;dr I want to hear Chanos squeal. Serves him right.

No one is buying EV’s from the big 3 as they have Osborned themselves with the publicity around moving to NACS. Word has gotten out on just how dismal the non-NACS DC fast charging infrastructure is in the US.

Even last year's models from the Detroit 3 will be able to charge at Tesla v3 (and above) Supercharger sites using the forthcoming NACS-to-CCScombo adapter.

Ford has promised to mail one to each of their existing customers in Q1 2024, and even for brands that don't provide the adapter, people will be able to buy one from 3rd-parties (I'm sure E-bay will do a brisk business).

All that the 3rd-party EV needs be able to do is talk the CCS protocol, and the adapter (and maybe an APP) will connect them to the best, most available, highest uptime charging network in N. America.

IMO, people aren't buying other EVs because of their poor value proposition (ie: they can't compete when lined up against a Tesla). Who would by a $80K Volvo when a $50K Model Y beats it in all respects? Mach E? Even after the price cuts, its not there.

Cheers!

No one is buying EV’s from the big 3 as they have Osborned themselves with the publicity around moving to NACS. Word has gotten out on just how dismal the non-NACS DC fast charging infrastructure is in the US. Very few people are willing to spend $$ on a car that they can’t reliably drive more than 100 miles from home. So they are waiting for all the 2024 NACS adapters and built-in NACS capable cars in 2025. All this assumes the big three can spin their EV lines back up after being idle for months/years.
Bingo. I see this theme all the time on the Facebook EV groups. Wait till they are tesla compatible.

I am not buying it, he is, and probably could not swing a new car purchase. How many miles can he expect to get out of a M3? Thank you for your advice.
Tell him to wait for 2024. the tax rebate rules change in Jan and new EVs will get cheaper on the spot and old EVs will get cheaper indirectly after that.

Maybe the drop in price on the cheapest new Model 3 would put it in his price range.

If not watch for cheaper used Model 3s after other people buy up new ones in early 2024.

I am not buying it, he is, and probably could not swing a new car purchase. How many miles can he expect to get out of a M3? Thank you for your advice.
Help him buy it new or buy it used and put the difference in TSLA for him.

Either way buy FSD for him, he’ll make bank when robotaxis are a thing even if that is 2030 (though it’ll be sooner and you can’t predict when it’ll be six figures to buy).

Simple strategy and easy way to xfer funds to offsprung w low tax load

edit: We’re in a discontinuity which is not a time for character building exercises, ie making or allowing him buy it all himself. Use the insights gleaned here to position your son ahead of the wave. The behavior of the stock price may have you doubt it, but time is short.

I nudged my son to reserve a handful of Cybertrucks early to lock in the FSD price. It’ll make a nice side hustle for him. We may get caught up in this thread in the daily nonsense, but things are moving at a breathtaking pace.

YMMV

Last edited:
Thanks for the info @Gigapress.
Ya, US trade is not much compared to total GDP (and not that we encourage trade either). On our own big island it seems.

The US runs a huge surplus in services. Not enough to overcome the deficit in goods but remember that services tend to have a higher value add.

Also how big a deal is it that an iPhone shows up in China’s trade surplus when the real profits are recorded by Apple in the US ?

Reactions: AMN and SOULPEDL
He could consider a lease as my son is. For the base model 3 it is $329/mo with $4500 down. For a 2 year lease it is $250/mo with $4500 down. He will have to return it when the lease is up but prices will likely still be in today's range and lower when the Gen 3 arrives so hopefully he can buy a car outright by then.

For Tesla, it's the Infinite Revenue Act.
What is the incentive to continue funding the EV transition in the US if there is no competition and Tesla is clearly going as fast as possible, and while 2035 is infinity away. What would happen if Fed support evaporated? Would California and the other EV States boycott ICE sales or tax them harder?

I see the UK will start to enforce new ZEV rules next year (22% EV cars/10% EV Vans, incrementing each year). And China has no interest in our ICE cars as they're still trying to catch up to Norway on zero emissions (and destroying the Big 3 while they're at it). So it's a global system that's adopted by each country in varying degrees? Still trying to understand ZEVs, but I could just see this come up for target practice in the US very soon.

The US runs a huge surplus in services. Not enough to overcome the deficit in goods but remember that services tend to have a higher value add.

Also how big a deal is it that an iPhone shows up in China’s trade surplus when the real profits are recorded by Apple in the US ?
Right? I actually looked at the iPhone earlier today. As I recall, $1.6M in sales were imported to the US. And that's how we make a trade deficit - on our own product mind you.

Anyone not think Tesla is signing BP up for an annual service contract on the chargers?
It's like a bunch of small McDonald's everywhere. I'm just a bit saddened by the White Labeling so people won't realize it's actually Tesla charger technology. I think we were all looking forward to having everyone hanging out at Tesla Super Chargers. However, maybe not needed as Cash is cow King (Edit, lol).

The tougher credit environment might be hurting demand for Tesla vehicles more than other brands.

Many Tesla customers have been stretching their budgets to afford the purchase. This has been going on for years, and it could explain why Elon has been persistently harping on the importance of affordability so much more than other automaker CEOs have been, and why Tesla has had to cut prices this year more than most other brands have. Normally, most customers buy new cars that are in approximately the same price and market segment as their previous car.

Elon stated on the Q2 2018 earnings call, "people are trading up into a Tesla, so they're choosing to spend more money on a Tesla than their current car, just based on the trade-in values." On that same call, Robin Ren said the top 5 trade-in models were:
  1. Toyota Prius
  2. BMW 3 Series
  3. Honda Accord
  4. Honda Civic
  5. Nissan Leaf.
In 2019, Bloomberg published the results of a survey of 5000 Model 3 owners. One of the questions was what car they had traded in for their Model 3. (Surveys are questionably useful in general, but this was a basic factual question and the results for the top 5 exactly align with what Tesla had said a year prior.)

1698381508408.png

Then in the Q1 2021 report, Tesla again showed that the majority of trade-ins were of non-premium brands:

1698381206404.png

CarMax has observed a similar pattern. They stated earlier this year:

For the Tesla Model 3, our most popular EV at CarMax from September 2022 – February 2023, the most common trade-in was a Honda Civic and the second most common was a Toyota Tacoma.

Full Q2 2018 earnings call commentary on trade-ins:
Zachary Shahan - CleanTechnica

Hello. First of all, thanks for the recent retweet, Elon. I was really impressed with the Model 3 after owning a Model S, so I'm really impressed how much you've developed since the early days. My first question was about Conquest sales, actually. Right before the call we published an article that Camry sales were down 22% year-over-year, Prius sales were down 23% year-over-year and we're very curious how much you're pulling from these other cars, other segments. It sounds like you sort of answered that question at the beginning, but can you give anything in terms of what percentage those top five are in terms of trade-in sales? And how broad you're pulling? I know you pull from pickup trucks, from sports cars. Can you speak a little more about the diversity you're pulling from?

Elon Musk

Actually, what we have right now is just the top five. So I'm not sure what the allocation is between top five or where it goes beyond top five. We just sort of out of curiosity asked for the top five breakdown. And it's just interesting that people are trading up into a Tesla, so they're choosing to spend more money on a Tesla than their current car, just based on the trade-in values. A Civic is a very inexpensive car compared to particularly the Model 3 today. So that's promising from a market access standpoint.
Robin Ren

Yeah, this is very interesting. So, we looked at what people who are buying Model 3 cars in the United States, what cars they are trading in. What we found is through this year, from January to July, the top five non-Tesla cars people are trading in to get into a Model 3, they are Toyota Prius, BMW 3 Series, Honda Accord, Honda Civic and Nissan Leaf.

Elon Musk

Really surprising.

Robin Ren

Yeah. They are surprising because they are not the traditional premium sedans. They are actually – many of them are mainstream midsized sedans.

Elon Musk

Right. And we're obviously at this point not yet selling our $35,000 car, so this is promising for the future.

Then in the Q3 2023 call, we were informed that the effective retail price of a Model Y, as measured by the monthly loan payment, has remained approximately constant, and the only difference has been that more of the payment is now going towards paying interest instead of paying down the principal. Considering that the actual cost is what matters to the customer, not the Tesla list price, this would indicate that intrinsic demand has not declined.

Tesla has repeatedly told us over the years that their customers are exquisitely sensitive to price (i.e. there is high elasticity of demand), and the past market reactions to price changes have indicated this is so.

Q3 2023 call:
Elon Musk

... So, I just can't emphasize again how important cost is -- it's not an optional thing for most people. It is a necessary thing. We have to make our cars more affordable that people can buy it. And I keep harping on this interest thing, but I mean, it just raises the cost of the car.

I mean, we're looking in internal analysis, which we think is more or less on track that when you look at the cost -- or the price reductions we've made in, say, the Model Y, and you compare that to how much people's monthly payment has risen due to interest rates, the price of the Model Y is almost unchanged.

Vaibhav Taneja -- Chief Financial Officer

If you factor in the change in interest rates.

Elon Musk

Yes. Which is what I'm trying to say. The thing that matters is the monthly -- it's how much money do they have to put down and do they literally have that in their bank account or their check balance and then what is the monthly payment? And it doesn't matter how -- if that monthly payment is principal interest or whatever, it's just a number, and that number has to not cause their bank account to go negative. So, going from near-zero interest rates to kind of the current very high interest rates, the actual monthly payment is basically the same.

It's just a bunch more of it is going to interest. And there are some incremental challenges beyond that, which is the difficulty of getting credit at all has increased. And so, the number of people who simply cannot get credit, period, even if they've got a job and everything is solid, the banks are a little gun shy on handing out credit given that a bunch of them kicked the bucket earlier this year.

This all indicates that Tesla can unlock massive demand simply by progressing on cost reduction and moving into lower price tiers, especially with Gen 3.

Then in the Q3 2023 call, we were informed that the effective retail price of a Model Y, as measured by the monthly loan payment, has remained approximately constant, and the only difference has been that more of the payment is now going towards paying interest instead of paying down the principal. Considering that the actual cost is what matters to the customer, not the Tesla list price, this would indicate that intrinsic demand has not declined.

Somebody care to tweet this analysis at Gary Black and tell him his "inelasticity of demand" thesis is full of *sugar*?

Paging @Max Plaid

TIA. ;)

This all indicates that Tesla can unlock massive demand simply by progressing on cost reduction and moving into lower price tiers, especially with Gen 3.

This also indicates that Bares* will continue attempting to stifle Tesla demand by insisting that the Fed continue to interest rates hikes (which is my leading theory as to why rates have risen at this unprecented pace, never-seen-before).

* a 'Bare' is a naked-short-faced Bear (mainly MMs and hedgies of course).

Bah! I want to see the talking airheads on CNBC Television drag Jim Chanos back on set and make him tell us one more time, 'THE COMPETITION IS COMING'.

Tesla/TSLA 'mea culpas' dribbling in now from CNBC 'contributors':

TSLA Bear: "Tesla competition can come... they just can't do it profitably." | CNBC Television (Oct 26, 2023)

Timothy Seymour: "As a guy that continues to not wanna own TSLA, um, but was very adamant and outspoken about the competitive landscape coming to get'um, um, ya'know, what's clear is the competition can come, and I think there's great car companies that are out there that are gonna do it, and maybe a better product than Tesla, they can't do it profitably right now. And... and so that's... that's really the story."​

Note: that is Phil LeBeau pictured in the Youtube thumbnail above, not Tim. Click 'Play' to watch Tim Seymour's TSLA mea culpa which starts at time index 3:10 into this video.