Welcome to Tesla Motors Club
Discuss Tesla's Model S, Model 3, Model X, Model Y, Cybertruck, Roadster and More.
Register

Tesla, TSLA & the Investment World: the Perpetual Investors' Roundtable

This site may earn commission on affiliate links.
Grok chatbot is coming to Tesla cars. Suspect in a couple of years, this will become another major selling point. I think Mercedes has also announced a chatbot in their car(s). First small model iteration(s) may not be impressive, but later iterations on updated hardware with more memory that can handle larger models, will be a fun information and entertainment feature.

I'm pretty excited about this. As of now voice commands are pretty limited. Imagine some of the possibilities like asking it if there is a well rated Thai restaurant close to the current route that is open right now, or asking it to navigate to a destination but via a specific route or supercharger, and adding enough charge to get back home with 20% left.

Imagine telling it to wake me up when we get to the destination once FSD is fully autonomous, or "drop me off at the airport and go back home and park". I think there is value in any of these possibilities if they work well. The experience could become quite amazing.

Edit: I didn't even think about robotaxis. That could be incredible. Imagine getting in and asking it to stop by a convenience store and then at your destination telling it where you would like to be dropped off.

One major complaint about my Y has been lack of a full set of voice commands, i.e. equivalent to all/most screen actions. Given that the voice interpretation stack exists and that the subroutine calls from the touchscreen are already there, it seems to me that a few new employees under supervision of a senior engineer could readily link new voice commands to the screen subroutines and fill out most of the voice menu.

One downside about the shiny new AI thingy is that any improvements to the voice commands may now await the "real soon now" arrival of slimmed down Grok chatbot to Teslae. Don't get me wrong, I'm excited about Grok, but then I was excited about Starship to orbit in early 2022.

One major complaint about my Y has been lack of a full set of voice commands, i.e. equivalent to all/most screen actions. Given that the voice interpretation stack exists and that the subroutine calls from the touchscreen are already there, it seems to me that a few new employees under supervision of a senior engineer could readily link new voice commands to the screen subroutines and fill out most of the voice menu.

One downside about the shiny new AI thingy is that any improvements to the voice commands may now await the "real soon now" arrival of slimmed down Grok chatbot to Teslae. Don't get me wrong, I'm excited about Grok, but then I was excited about Starship to orbit in early 2022.

The list looks fairly decent.

But if I could talk to my car and it respond to me like KITT, I’d be ecstatic.

The list looks fairly decent.

But if I could talk to my car and it respond to me like KITT, I’d be ecstatic.
I would like if you could initiate voice commands with a word. Like Amazon does with Alexa.

Like "Tessie, Wipers On" rather than hitting button and then say "Wipers On"

I would like if you could initiate voice commands with a word. Like Amazon does with Alexa.

Like "Tessie, Wipers On" rather than hitting button and then say "Wipers On"
How many more times are people going to use Alexa as a good example?🤔

I do agree with your point, though. The voice activation of Alexa, Hey Google and Siri are their one good feature. The speech recognition is still terrible.

Reactions: navguy12

I do agree with your point, though. The voice activation of Alexa, Hey Google and Siri are their one good feature. The speech recognition is still terrible.
Never used Alexa, but Siri seems pretty good in iOS15

My MX Plaid on the other hand can't understand a word I say, so I never use the voice commands, I consider them hopeless and a gimmick. Even worse they keep switching on when my hand brushes against the "button" on the yoke

(Mods: not a stalk post!!!)

Never used Alexa, but Siri seems pretty good in iOS15

My MX Plaid on the other hand can't understand a word I say, so I never use the voice commands, I consider them hopeless and a gimmick. Even worse they keep switching on when my hand brushes against the "button" on the yoke

(Mods: not a stalk post!!!)
Tesla's voice recognition is really bad. It was good, but recently it hears what it wants. From everything that I've tried (driven 3) the refresh S/X fair much worse than the 3/Y. Not sure if it's mic placement or what.

Alexa is worlds better, even if still not perfect, but I would expect that being a dedicated voice recognition device.

IMO Google is better than them all.

Tesla's voice recognition is really bad. It was good, but recently it hears what it wants.

IMO Google is better than them all.
Last I heard Tesla uses Google for voice recognition. (But maybe they have changed and brought it in-house recently.)

But it works well for me. Even when it doesn't actually recognize what I said, the text shows something different, the navigation took that bad, not even close, input and started routing me to the correct place.

Reactions: AZRI11 and SO16
Last I heard Tesla uses Google for voice recognition. (But maybe they have changed and brought it in-house recently.)

But it works well for me. Even when it doesn't actually recognize what I said, the text shows something different, the navigation took that bad, not even close, input and started routing me to the correct place.
Maybe the did switch away, because it's much worse than it used to be or maybe it's just bad in the S/X, which is seemingly a pretty common complaint from the 3/Y.

I asked it to play Queen and it wanted to play Ed Sheeran today. Really for music and directions, it's easier to type it in rather than fighting it.

Reactions: navguy12
I don't need a chat bot in my car but I'd be happy to have local voice recognition and intent handling.

Since you can do this acceptably on a raspberry pi with open source code, there's no reason it can't be done on the Intel atom or AMD ryzen in our cars. In theory it could even be done on the ap/fsd compute device, but that adds extra implementation complexity.

It's super annoying when I am getting spotty cellular coverage and I can't do anything with voice.

Just confirmed the last entry for October in our European registrations wiki (see my footer), data collection is now complete.
Flattening the wave continues:

Screenshot 2023-11-06 at 23.24.24.png

In case anyone is wondering if cumulative registrations are still over a factor of two above 2022 - we lost it, it´s only 1.998 now ;)

OK. It is the activation I was talking about. Alexa is how we control most of our house. Lights, Heat/AC our biggest problem is 2 Alexa somewhat close to each other causing confusion. Set a timer for cooking and the family room picks it up, create another and the kitchen picks it up. Dont think would have that issue in car.