Welcome to Tesla Motors Club
Discuss Tesla's Model S, Model 3, Model X, Model Y, Cybertruck, Roadster and More.
Register

Tesla, TSLA & the Investment World: the Perpetual Investors' Roundtable

This site may earn commission on affiliate links.
Max pain! (Tnx for site info).

795F9BBA-E140-4211-856B-6D1900EFDD8B.png

That's in line with most of the responses I've seen. I guess the answer to my question, and really any question about v12 (and later) is "more training."
I had trouble seeing how you could generalize what in my mind was 2 sets of traffic rules: normal ones, and override/emergency/crowd ones. I suppose with enough training and "neurons" to run the inference on the neural nets, it can all be one gestalt. And I suppose we will see, as we are reminded here from time to time: it ain't never been done before.
I am starting to believe 2024 will be the year of FSD breakout. The software architecture is now there, the compute power may well finally be there, and 12 months is a long time in computer training land. Train away!
I hereby volunteer to drive to every football game between now and then (why, for the Mission old chaps!)

I appreciate all the thoughtful responses!
AI is a very hard thing to wrap your head around--especially when we are all so conditioned to the concept of logic-based programming which has dominated computers since their inception.

As long as we keep in mind that neural nets are literally brain simulators, then in theory, if your brain can do it, so can a neural net with enough neurons and enough training data.

The big question that I think you're essentially posing--and you're right, we don't really know yet since it's never been done before--is how much data is needed to cover all these cases? Technically, the car has eyes (cameras) and ears (an in-cabin microphone)--so in theory that's all the sensors needed to drive. It boils down to how much data we need, and how much training.

But what's promising to me is how naturally the car drove in v12. It looked like it drove dramatically better than what I've experienced with v11, and that was without the additional training time and compute resources that Tesla has since brought on. I don't know when we'll hit Robotaxi-level autonomy, but I agree that 2024 will likely be the year that FSD gets good enough that many people will be willing to pay $10k+ for the software...which will be a significant additional contributor to margins. Even without Level 5, a really good FSD system that people want to buy will contribute to the stock price considerably, since margins should go up quite a bit.

Last edited:
You can vent your frustration with sarcasm here and then go out and help by informing people where you find the opportunity
I used to and now Elon gets brought up and I wont defend him. I do spend time every day responding to FUD articles on news aggregators. People ask me why when they are just trolls. I do it because without it people dont see whats real. Yet I refuse to defend Elon antics.

AI is a very hard thing to wrap your head around--especially when we are all so conditioned to the concept of logic-based programming which as dominated computers since their inception.

As long as we keep in mind that neural nets are literally brain simulators, then in theory, if your brain can do it, so can a neural net with enough neurons and enough training data.

The big question that I think you're essentially posing--and you're right, we don't really know yet since it's never been done before--is how much data is needed to cover all these cases? Technically, the car has eyes (cameras) and ears (an in-cabin microphone)--so in theory that's all the sensors needed to drive. It boils down to how much data we need, and how much training.

But what's promising to me is how naturally the car drove in v12. It looked like it drove dramatically better than what I've experienced with v11, and that was without the additional training time and compute resources that Tesla has since brought on. I don't know when we'll hit Robotaxi-level autonomy, but I agree that 2024 will likely be the year that FSD gets good enough that many people will be willing to pay $10k+ for the software...which will be a significant additional contributor to margins. Even without Level 5, a really good FSD system that people want to buy will contribute to the stock price considerably, since margins should go up quite a bit.
haha. Oh wait?
Does AI have a better understanding of itself than humans do? Or does it just think it does....or doesn't.

• Funny
Reactions: wipster
Tesla NA have deleted so maybe not actually available...

View attachment 989550
Interesting incentive update. But as a spoiled owner of a Model X with lifetime free charging, and not to be ungrateful, but 6 month of supercharging isn't really that great a value, unless:

The owner gets to decide when to start that free 6 months, or-
For more value yet, it could be 6 non-consecutive 30 day periods of free charging, the owner picks the start dates.

Attachments

• 1699647686487.png
    1699647686487.png
    56.4 KB · Views: 9
Homepage, electric cars selected (for me) with several Teslas.

"New Cars" - straight to Tesla Model 3 and "Electric Vehicles" selected.

Also the same for me in a private window in a different browser.

Same for others?

Presumably this has cost Tesla money - or it's a condition of putting a lot of stock to the website.

View attachment 989611
There's some advertising from Tesla. It would cost Tesla money to sell new cars there, just as it cost to sell used cars.

I'm all for selling more cars!

I think we need to stop thinking about this as a problem that is handled with logic and code and merely answer based on how the meat sack in our skull does it.

How do WE identify the officer in charge?

Suppose I were to blindfold you and place you in the middle of a room in a building you've never been inside before. After taking the blindfold off, you would immediately realize that you were standing in the middle of a room in a building, even though you'd never seen that room before and even though the combination of colors and textures around you is unique and something you'd never seen before.

It sounds like v12 operates the same way. It learns much like a baby learns about the world around it--by watching and imitating. What we know about the human brain is that a vast set of neurons make connections with each other in a way that, as a collective, is able to understand and reason. Magically, the neural nets will do the same. I think the main remaining question is: how many neurons are needed to support the full range of tasks required to drive?
There’s more to it than learning like a baby.

The system needs to learn to be a baby as well as to learn like a baby—unless the designers simulated the needed neural anatomies of the human brain and, while there are sophisticated computational models of most human brain areas, this is not what Tesla‘s FSD Team is doing to my knowledge.

Organic brains have a lot of structure that evolved over billions of years. Tesla must necessarily be replicating some of what of evolution did in providing organic brains with their capabilities. This is not to say they are using genetic algorithms or the like. It is also not to say they are (or even can be) doing evolution and learning as separate processes or steps. That is, what are learning and evolution in the natural world are combined in FSD adaptation aka learning.

This combined process should be simpler in an artificial computational setting than evolution and learning are in the natural world because organic brains have (more) constraints, e.g. the lifespan of individual organisms and the need to grow a brain to maturity, than are required in the computational setting. Still, the computational demands are far from trivial.

This is why Tesla needs boatloads of compute.

Last edited:
  • Helpful
Reactions: Krugerrand
Mod: I moved a few posts to
because they seem to fit better there, and we don't want to clutter the main thread with a discussion that's likely to go off-topic.
--ggr

But what's promising to me is how naturally the car drove in v12. It looked like it drove dramatically better than what I've experienced with v11.
And it even had a new feature. It has learned to pull over and park on the street at its destination! I think it was probably not explicitly trained to do this but learned the behavior on its own.

V12 will not only drive better, it will have new features that it just learns naturally. I'm hyper-ventilating just thinking about it....

I can't summarise this easily/well - loads of info "This article is by S.E. Robinson, Jr., please credit accordingly. Have a great day!"

Ron Baron looking at Cybertruck, Tesla Ireland, Australian Megapack site, Japanese "Uber" - 100 Teslas, Big Tesla stores, Gigafactory flyovers, SpaceX, Starlink, xAi, X, Neuralink, The Boring Company, Elon Biopic.

It's a good time to get in on some BPTRX, which holds SpaceX and X Holdings (along with TSLA). Probably gets you exposure to Starlink, X, X.ai, etc.
I increased my holdings yesterday.
That is what I did a couple of year ago to leverage their SpaceX holdings You may be right that it's time to increase my holdings.

AI is a very hard thing to wrap your head around--especially when we are all so conditioned to the concept of logic-based programming which has dominated computers since their inception.

Agreed. Monitored autonomy as opposed to robotaxi will be Tesla’s value driver in the medium term. It’s all profit. It’s easy to scale when the tech is ready. Just offer free trials.

With robotaxi, people underestimate the regulatory, financial, staffing and logistical challenges of putting a couple million robotaxis into service. It will lose money and lots of it for a few years at least.

Reactions: nativewolf
Max pain! (Tnx for site info).

View attachment 989586
Thanks for this.

OT - it may be my headache, or my fuzzy brain from getting over COVID, but when I first saw this post, I read the 3rd column Call OI, saw the S from the first column, snd what processed, was “Snake Oil.” I needed a good laugh for the day.. Have a nice weekend.

Cybertruck at Annual Baron Investment Conference (New York) 8K Video​

"Premiered 89 minutes ago
Recorded at Lincoln Center, New York. There was a Cybertruck, a Model S Plaid, a Model 3 Performance, a Model Y Performance, and a Model X Plaid. May take some time to process up to 8K, be sure to select it too."

”Tesla doesn’t advertise”, yeah right!

And panel gaps? None! Looked perfect.

Homepage, electric cars selected (for me) with several Teslas.

"New Cars" - straight to Tesla Model 3 and "Electric Vehicles" selected.

Also the same for me in a private window in a different browser.

Same for others?

Presumably this has cost Tesla money - or it's a condition of putting a lot of stock to the website.

View attachment 989611

"https://twitter.com/elonmusk First I’ve heard of this. Seems odd."

Do IRA credits for cell manufacture kick in:-
  1. When the cell is manufactured?
  2. When a vehicle containing the cell is sold?
Credit being paid when a vehicle is sold are much easer to track and validate from an audit trail point of view.

So Austin might be producing more 4680s than Cybertruck can use in the early stages or the ramp, these might be being stockpiled at Austin and might go into vehicles in 2024 when they can gain the IRA cell subsidy?

Most or all of the Gen1 4680s going into the Austin produced Model Y came form Kato Road which has since stopped making those cells.

There could be 3 reasons why Austin is not currently making Model Ys with 4680 at Austin.
  1. 2170 production is just ramping up no need to complicate things, and they don't have the workforce for 2 separate lines.
  2. 4680s might attract better credits in 2024?
  3. Semi production can't use many 2170s, Tesla needs to find an interim use for those cells.
The latest of Sparks is the major factory upgrade has been delayed, but a separate building will be built in another location for a Semi factory. (Source a Zangler video.)

I imagine that this could be similar to the new end-of-line building being built at Austin, if you have been watching Austin videos you know that building when up very fast.

So I'm not seeing this as a delay to the Semi. more like an acceleration, perhaps with a few trade-offs like lower production volumes.

When that new building has been constructed a new Semi line has been installed and is ramping, the Semi will use more 2170s and stockpiling 2170s at Sparks may make more sense than shipping them to Austin.

if that is right, Model Ys from Austin might resume using 4680s Q1/Q2 2024, optimistic, but I always use the Elon timeline estimator.

Last edited:
There could be 3 reasons why Austin is not currently making Model Ys with 4680 at Austin.

Honestly we can't say this for sure, the 4680s V2 in a Model Y would be indistinguishable from a 2170, and we know Tesla retooled the lines a while ago

So there is a chance that now there ones line for 2170s, and another for 4680s and both produces Model Y LR

But Tesla is lacking 2170s right now, this is why the Model 3 LR on US is now using LG cells imported from Asia