Welcome to Tesla Motors Club
Discuss Tesla's Model S, Model 3, Model X, Model Y, Cybertruck, Roadster and More.
Register

Tesla, TSLA & the Investment World: the Perpetual Investors' Roundtable

This site may earn commission on affiliate links.
Apropos of nothing, here is your update from the cheery land of Mordor. We voted on Texas Constitutional amendments last week. (Most people's laws are equivalent to our Constitution in terms of scope; don't ask!)
Amendment 7 ballot language read as follows:
"The constitutional amendment providing for the creation of the Texas energy fund to support the construction, maintenance, modernization, and operation of electric generating facilities."
Sounds great,no? We need more energy after all. The full text (not available on the ballot mind you) reveals that these state funds will only be disbursed to energy plants that are fully dispatchable. Solar and wind of course, are not.
But it gets better. After all, solar + battery is fully dispatchable. Surely a solar + battery plant would be able to compete for these taxpayer funds? Wind + battery?
But alas, in its infinite wisdom, our 20-year-dominated-by-one-party Legislature explicitly excluded storage technologies from bidding.
So yes, dear friends. In 2023, the year of the Cybertruck, the year Tesla Energy begins to roar, a few mere miles from GigaTexas, we have amended our State Constitution to subsidize fossil, and ONLY fossil, energy once again, and without even having to tell the voters.
Someone please tell me that gentrification of Mordor is coming? Some days I just do not see it. We are up against an entrenched foe with all the levers. You may see me at your nearest traffic signal, carrying a sign: NEED GANDALF. WILL PAY FOR TRAVEL.

(Fwiw I did know to vote against Amendment 7, having done a truly tiny bit of research beforehand)

I read about a new solar micro-grid housing development project in Florida. This seems like it would be outdated by the time they installed built it all (2025). Are utility companies gaming retirees here?

"The $4.235 million project will be funded by Lakeland Electric, which will benefit from the excess power generated by the homes."
1699929364106.png

• Informative
Reactions: BrownOuttaSpec
Since sometimes there's some TSLA benefit to SpaceX success,

Elon: Was just informed that approval to launch should happen in time for a Friday launch
Mandatory reminder that this is a test flight, the probability of everything goes as planned is small, so I wouldn't count on this to benefit TSLA. More likely we'll see another storm of FUD articles from main stream media painting whatever outcome as big Elon fail.

I'm becoming concerned about the high delinquency rates for auto loan, low savings rates, and high mortgage interest rates. It seems like we could have a new mortgage crisis like 2009.

A $400,000 30-year mortgage today at 8% is a monthly payment of $2935, but just 2 years ago at 3% the payment would be $1686. Mortgage financing alone is a huge hit to disposable income. If interest rates do not come down, home prices will. Any contraction in the job market could send homeowners upside-down in their mortgages into default.

I'm becoming concerned about the high delinquency rates for auto loan, low savings rates, and high mortgage interest rates. It seems like we could have a new mortgage crisis like 2009.

A $400,000 30-year mortgage today at 8% is a monthly payment of $2935, but just 2 years ago at 3% the payment would be $1686. Mortgage financing alone is a huge hit to disposable income. If interest rates do not come down, home prices will. Any contraction in the job market could send homeowners upside-down in their mortgages into default.
Elon is that you?

If one is expecting a large % of car loan defaults I guess it's good Tesla isn't doing a ton of vehicle financing like most of legacy is?

A $400,000 30-year mortgage today at 8% is a monthly payment of $2935, but just 2 years ago at 3% the payment would be $1686. Mortgage financing alone is a huge hit to disposable income. If interest rates do not come down, home prices will.

I've seen a lot of suggestion that last part does not follow-- all the owners with LOW rates (ie those who financed prior to the last 1-2 years) are staying in their homes because they have no interest in moving from a 3% mortgage to an 8% one, which is choking the supply of homes on the market and keeping prices elevated- in fact most predictions these days have home prices continuing to RISE through 2024, though a few instead suggest a small decline if rates start moving back down.

I would like to contribute by taking delivery of my SP which I ordered with a delivery window of october-december, and I would very much also like to transfer my free Supercharging from my Oldie P85, but as of now, I am not sure if my car will be delivered in time :-(
Did you get a mail from Tesla stating that free supercharging transfer is possible? I’m still waiting for that in Belgium. Our local Tesla salesperson knows I’m interested but hasn’t notified me it’s possible.