Welcome to Tesla Motors Club
Discuss Tesla's Model S, Model 3, Model X, Model Y, Cybertruck, Roadster and More.
Register

Tesla, TSLA & the Investment World: the Perpetual Investors' Roundtable

This site may earn commission on affiliate links.
So, inflation is over and cash is king ?
Right? That would be the implication. While Berkshire does generally do long term investing, they do react to market situations and will position their public company holdings for 1-2 year events.

So what's the magnitude of these events:

For all of 2023, Berkshire has sold $23.6 billion more stocks than it has bought.

The net sales contributed to Berkshire's record cash stake, which is about the same size as its $156.8 billion stake in iPhone maker Apple (AAPL.O).

So, pretty significant.

Rather than say "inflation is over", I think it would be more accurate to say "5.5% daily interest is better than 4% inflation", and then the follow on of "and we're expecting a stock market recession". ie. they expect stock majors to at least stay flat or decline a bit for the next while.

Interestingly, I have done two stock sales tranches myself this year. First in May to shed some growth stocks - that is still playing out, but so far hasn't been working out, I've left 7% appreciation on the table (net of the interest I gained from cash). Second was in September to shed some dividend paying stocks. That has worked out, I've netted about 7% on that so far.

Last edited:
Not in this context

Heat rises if it's a fluid, in solid it transfers from hot to cold

And besides, the tabless electrode that contacts the can of the cell, which is the path with the least thermal resistance, is at the bottom of the cell, perfect place to cool it
Sorry for the quippy comment. From battery day and subsequent articles it seemed to me that Tesla had chosen a solution that extracted heat thusly:
"... the new tabless design has an excellent cooling path out of the ENDS of the cells. The electrode’s themselves make perfect cooling plates, which will allow Tesla to pull heat from the center of the cell and out the top and bottom of the cell..." as George Bower wrote.
Given the larger diameter and increases in thermal loads it seems logical to assume that thermal management must be significantly enhanced in order to preserve long life and minimize risk of the infamous 'thermal runaways of earlier days.

The 'perfect place' for optimal cooling seems to be top and bottom of both sides and center.
Is that somehow in error?

Reactions: jerry33
Sorry for the quippy comment. From battery day and subsequent articles it seemed to me that Tesla had chosen a solution that extracted heat thusly:
"... the new tabless design has an excellent cooling path out of the ENDS of the cells. The electrode’s themselves make perfect cooling plates, which will allow Tesla to pull heat from the center of the cell and out the top and bottom of the cell..." as George Bower wrote.
Given the larger diameter and increases in thermal loads it seems logical to assume that thermal management must be significantly enhanced in order to preserve long life and minimize risk of the infamous 'thermal runaways of earlier days.

The 'perfect place' for optimal cooling seems to be top and bottom of both sides and center.
At the top, the flower collection piece interfaces to the the center button, so the majority of the top surface only transfers heat from the sides.
The original cell had an internal collection plate that was connected to the sides, the bottom wasn't in contact with the electrodes. New cell has bottom as current collector, but is recessed due to sealing crimp and also has the pressure relief vent.
So pulling from the sidewalls (especially lower) was and is the most effective and practical location for 4680s.

Right? That would be the implication. While Berkshire does generally do long term investing, they do react to market situations and will position their public company holdings holdings for 1-2 year events.

So, pretty significant.

Rather than say "inflation is over", I think it would be more accurate to say "5.5% daily interest is better than 4% inflation", and then the follow on of "and we're expecting a stock market recession". ie. they expect stock majors to at least stay flat or decline a bit for the next while.

Interestingly, I have done two stock sales tranches myself this year. First in May to shed some growth stocks - that is still playing out, but so far hasn't been working out, I've left 7% appreciation on the table (net of the interest I gained from cash). Second was in September to shed some dividend paying stocks. That has worked out, I've netted about 7% on that so far.
"Larger investments are normally Buffett's, and investors often try to piggyback on Berkshire's trading, reflecting the billionaire's reputation as one of the world's greatest investors. To that end, Berkshire decided not to disclose one or more of its holdings, and said it has asked the U.S. Securities and Exchange Commission for confidential treatment.

So is Buffett our favorite TSLA buyer this week? Timing here...
I'm just wondering whom to show my gratitude. 🤷‍♂️

Right? That would be the implication. While Berkshire does generally do long term investing, they do react to market situations and will position their public company holdings holdings for 1-2 year events.

So, pretty significant.

Remembering too that Warren Buffet historically has thought in terms of predictable cash flows that allow making profit on, classically, insurance company reserves. He's almost never bought anything that would not contribute to that goal. As a Buffet watcher since the late 1960's I've seen him go cash heavy whenever the US treasury yield curve looks as it does right now:
Many metrics count but pessimism drives a "flight to safety".
Equally when short term rates beat inflation by selected metrics risk premia rise too.
As odd as it may seem, Tesla financial management has shown very analogous restraint. Just as with, say, AAPL the Buffet school should be equipped to understand how compatible TSLA is. OTOH, we do know Charlie cannot abide Eon Musk. Stranger things have happened, as in, say, BYD.

Top/bottom cooling was not indicated, at all, by Battery Day.

Reactions: Cosmacelf
Here is something I can't get my head around... why have there been so many CyberTruck sightings all over the country in advance of the 11/30 event? I don't recall Tesla ever doing this.
Last night, there was a video which amounted to a walk-through of the interior and truck bed... so what exactly could be shown on 11/30?

Of course, we are still missing specs-- pricing, range, 0-60, etc; but not much on the final finish of the product.
What could be shown on 11/30?

Elon promised we would see 3 demos. One is the Tommy gun and other gunfire.

If the other two are as entertaining as that, we will witness a stunning exhibition.

What could be shown on 11/30?

Elon promised we would see 3 demos. One is the Tommy gun and other gunfire.

If the other two are as entertaining as that, we will witness a stunning exhibition.
It would be epic had Elon 3 months ago announced that the 10 worst performing executives would enter a lottery to have 5 selected to sit inside the CT during the Tommy gun demo. Bet productivity would have increased dramatically. Or poor performers would have resigned... Or not.

I seem to remember Sandy Munro being surprised that they still used ribbon cooling on the 4680's. But that could change. It might even be different on the Cybertruck.

Reactions: unk45
Or maybe "Burry Capital" is unwinding this week as well. It would appear that timing Puts is just as hard as timing the Calls, go figure.

1700072931410.png

Images thus far have shown side cooling.. I don't recall seeing any end cooled pics:

1700074593382.png

1700074619591.png

Images thus far have shown side cooling.. I don't recall seeing any end cooled pics:

View attachment 990955

View attachment 990957

The speculation on end cooling is because recent pictures of the body make it more probable that the pack will be a single layer

For a single layer pack to achieve 500 miles of range, they either need more space for the cells, which bottom cooling delivers, or significantly more efficient than even the most optimistic predictions

It might seems that the cooling snakes add little space between cells, but it adds up

The downside is that even with the tabless electrode touching the bottom, a few papers shows that there is better cooling with side cooling due to higher surface area compared to bottom cooling, mostly due to the dichotomy of extracting heat from the cells, you need something that is a really good heat conductor but also good electrical insulator, the interface between cell and cooling device is the limitation, so more area helps a lot

The only downside of both papers is that if I'm not mistaken both assumes that the entire side of the cells is cooled (been a while since I've read them, linked bellow) and we know Tesla uses just a small section of the cell, so in that scenario cooling the bottom might win vs just part of the side

Sandy better get one really soon to open it up

Prediction of Thermal Issues for Larger Format 4680 Cylindrical Cells and Their Mitigation with Enhanced Current Collection
Impact of Current Collector Design and Cooling Topology on Fast Charging of Cylindrical Lithium-Ion Batteries

Last edited:
1700075131931.png

A solid update. Improved latency at no cost. A few 10% improvements, a few of these a year and it adds up.

Imo it seems that Tesla have been very silent about V12. No AI day announced yet, they have been held in September and October in the past. Don't think it's because they have run into some wall and cannot improve and have nothing to show. Clearly Optimus was moving forward fast and V12 demo was impressive even with one intervention(that should be fixable with some data). And Dojo should have been ramping up and H100s added to seriously improve compute. So I think that they are intentionally choosing to be quiet at this point. The question is why? Maybe it's because they are very close to actually solving FSD? The demo showed almost solving it and since then the V12-branch has likely gotten a lot more compute and priority of the developers. The last release notes seems more like project vacation improvement to the less beta version that customers use right now, that they need to maintain until the next V12 release goes from beta to public wide beta in a few months.

And if V12 actually is FSD(not robotaxi, but A->B without interventions 99% of the time and safer than humans), then the value of this will dwarf 2023 earnings.