Welcome to Tesla Motors Club
Discuss Tesla's Model S, Model 3, Model X, Model Y, Cybertruck, Roadster and More.
Register

Tesla, TSLA & the Investment World: the Perpetual Investors' Roundtable

This site may earn commission on affiliate links.
MODS:

Please delete the past 7 pages of bathwater.

Thank-you.
Just a reminder to folks:

Please read what has already been written and if there‘s already a post that is substantially similar to what you’re going to say then don’t post. You’re not convincing other members nor endearing yourself to them by making posts that are repetitive. Content yourself with a thumbs up or whatever. This is especially true for controversial topics.

HAHAHAHAHAHA!

"Jim Chanos, Short Seller Who Took on Enron and Tesla, to Close Hedge Funds -- WSJ"

You made my day with this post! Karma is a beyatch.

Does anyone know how many shares his fund was short TSLA, and whether he's already unwound the position or still needs to buy back?

You made my day with this post! Karma is a beyatch.

Does anyone know how many shares his fund was short TSLA, and whether he's already unwound the position or still needs to buy back?
It's a hedge fund and the amounts were not published that I am aware.

It was not a fixed position as he stated he added to his Tesla position a few times...usually when the price was at a low point.

I think only Jim Chanos knows how much he lost on Tesla and he may not even know the exact amount.

I would not want to know if I lost that much money.

Honest (after hours, heading into the weekend) question. Relative to the members in this thread, I've seen the full gambit of opinions about Elon. It ranges from love to hate. Credit to blame. Savior to devil. For the brand and stock price. So, my question is: if Elon stepped away from the CEO role and into Chief Executive Architect (or whatever), would the drama be meaningfully reduced? Does anyone genuinely think it would meaningfully affect stock price? Just curious.

I will say this not specific to the present topic, but overall, much of the outrage and drama that happens about anything in the world is not from the origin, but from the dramatization and multiplication of the significance, specially from the media side or if it floats your boat (tin foil hat on), from the string pullers (tin foil hat off)

How much of the topics we see outrage everywhere and you, as a sane and objective person go take a look and it's nothing like it's it's made to be

And now linking this your question, won't change a thing, it would change with the title, even if Elon wasn't even involved anymore, sold all his shares and moved to Mars, headlines would be "Musk previous owned Tesla is facing criticism for....."

Always will be spun in a negative way, no matter what, no matter how

1700264141068.png

Honest (after hours, heading into the weekend) question. Relative to the members in this thread, I've seen the full gambit of opinions about Elon. It ranges from love to hate. Credit to blame. Savior to devil. For the brand and stock price. So, my question is: if Elon stepped away from the CEO role and into Chief Executive Architect (or whatever), would the drama be meaningfully reduced? Does anyone genuinely think it would meaningfully affect stock price? Just curious.
YES!

FWIW, it does seem to have done wonders for SpaceX where Gwen runs the show on a daily basis and things appear to NOT fall through the cracks there.

At Tesla, all of us that have owned Pallidium S's and X's (since, ahem, 2021) have been awaiting this promise from Elon for about 19 months now--if there was an actual human running things at Tesla on a DAILY basis, perhaps the safety defect/moving horn button would have been fixed by now:

Just one example of dozens I'm sure, so the sooner your suggestion comes to pass, the better.

It's a hedge fund and the amounts were not published that I am aware.

It was not a fixed position as he stated he added to his Tesla position a few times...usually when the price was at a low point.

I think only Jim Chanos knows how much he lost on Tesla and he may not even know the exact amount.

I would not want to know if I lost that much money.
Although I've never sold any stock short, my understanding is that if your short position is not closed, it is possible to have losses on the scale of infinite. ?!!! Might be a good thing to be aware of if this is happening. :oops::oops::oops:

Reactions: capster and MC3OZ
Adding this as separated post to not mix it

Take this as someone that never been to the US, so the only exposure I get to the reality there is what I see online

With that in mind, that I might be wrong so feel free to refute this, as a shareholder, given everything that transpires now and in the past, It would make me happy to see one day Tesla move it's headquarters out of the USA in the long term

Keep what is needed there, factories, even engineering centers to make use of the local talent, that we've seen is amazing and responsible to make Tesla what it is today, but given the lack of supports it has in it's home turf, move out

Tesla has over 50% BEV marketshare in the US. How is that lack of support ?

In what other major market can it dream of such marketshare ?

Same with FSD. The take rate is zero in the EU and 1% in China.

After TSLA went up 3x on Jim:

April 3 2020. The current share price is still 8x higher than when this interview happened. 😂

Chanos is a textbook case of "tell me you know nothing about Tesla's business without saying you know nothing about Tesla's business".

Guys like Chanos and Burry are 99 parts luck for every one part skill. They built their entire careers on a foundation they thought was rock solid based on their skill, but it turned out to be quicksand because it was mostly based on luck.

Chanos is a textbook case of "tell me you know nothing about Tesla's business without saying you know nothing about Tesla's business".

Guys like Chanos and Burry are 99 parts luck for every one part skill. They built their entire careers on a foundation they thought was rock solid based on their skill, but it turned out to be quicksand because it was mostly based on luck.

You must admit that they have maintained their luck...

but, they may not have accounted for the fact that luck comes in two flavors.

Chanos had pet media, nonsense stories & shorting went together.

YES!

FWIW, it does seem to have done wonders for SpaceX where Gwen runs the show on a daily basis and things appear to NOT fall through the cracks there.
Well SpaceX sometimes makes mistakes too, like the first Starship launch blew up the pad, they do learn from it.

And Elon Musk held the CEO title at SpaceX, same as Tesla. Gwynne Shotwell is the president and COO. I'm not familiar with Tesla's leadership structure but I assume someone (or a group of someones) already has the COO role, Elon isn't running the company on a daily basis.

Reactions: JusRelax
How far do you want me to go back? Starting when Tesla of all companies wasn't invite to the EV summit is good enough?

What difference in the real world does a “lack of invitation” make. That’s just political posturing. In what real, practical, significant way has the US government disadvantaged Tesla that overrides every other advantage that the US offers.

Can we get an uncensored version of this thread? The effect on Musk's tweets on Tesla's stock and brand is on every business news site today, but on this forum it has somehow been decided that it is irrelevant.
Mod:

Let me try to make this clear. If someone posted an INFORMATIVE evaluation of a tweet and its effect on the company or stock,
AND there were no stupid, political, racist replies to that post, we would keep it. Historically these conditions have never been met. Mostly someone posts the stupid/racist tweet itself, but even the hypothetically informative post would soon be followed up with exactly the kind of followup that destroys valid discussion. Then we would have to delete the informative post too, because it's like a cancer inviting followup. Audie didn't supply numbers, but between the three mods active in this forum, we deleted about 60 posts over a period of a few hours. (Someone commented above that there were very few posts, because there were almost none that weren't deleted. This just proves that those posts turn off valuable discussion.)

There used to be a thread about Elon and Twitter. It became toxic. We moved it to off-topic, where a different moderator also concluded it was toxic. It got shut down. By all means, anyone (I just used the above post to reply, not specifically @CitizenKane) can open a new thread in the off-topic forum, but not here. Here, we moderate. I hope you now understand why.

--ggr