Welcome to Tesla Motors Club
Discuss Tesla's Model S, Model 3, Model X, Model Y, Cybertruck, Roadster and More.
Register

Tesla, TSLA & the Investment World: the Perpetual Investors' Roundtable

This site may earn commission on affiliate links.
Changed my avatar. Hoping it's reflective of TSLA soon...
I’ m confused. You’re hoping for RUD on Cybertruck? Or Lathrop scaling?:cool:
OT
remember, SpaceX Grasshopper was literally _ONLY_ 10 years ago (tony seba type timelines speed rate of change, red shifting into the future)
(fine, picky picky, 10 years, 1 month, + appx 1 week, happy?)
This reminds me that an eccentric Quebecois (possibly redundant?) self-labeled The Mad Hungarian, published T-shirts that told the Tesla story. I still have mine, and he's still selling them:

OK, I admit that is a product plug, but...it really does show just how rapidly technology is evolving and the pace of change accelerating. There are countless illustrations of that truth, perhaps none so topical to this thread.
In context, those of us who began a Tesla journey with the original Model S or even before that with The Roadster, understand that the rate of change in Tesla itself is so rapid and fundamental that most observers cannot understand what is happening. Even well-intended people look at the 2012 Model S and the 2023 Model S and thing they're aging and unchanged, stale and obsolescent. They see the Model 3 and Model Y as less old, but unchanging. The Model X is often seen as a quixotic effort at useless innovation. Similarly, MegaPack does not even merit a look.

if there is a singular accomplishment in the Tesla arsenal it is quite perfectly obvious and generally invisible to the initiated in careful analysis. That is manufacturing excellence. It is manufacturing innovation that brought Octovalve, Megacasting and the new paint shops. Even more so, that manufacturing innovation allows rapid iteration in use of semiconductors that permitted use of whatever they could find during the Pandemic. As each iteration comes, so do to logistic innovations, almost never mentioned, that help smooth 'the quarterly wave' and steadily reduce shipping costs through local sourcing, increasing vertical integration and continuing innovation in raw material sourcing and refining (Corpus Christi, for example)

While we excoriate the traditional securities analysts for missing the core reality, many of us find ourselves descending into personality quirks and even see moral conflict rising. It would behoove anybody who seriously questions Tesla's future to reorient consideration to the manufacturing innovation itself.

Perhaps that will help reduce reliance on longer term expectations, from FSD to Optimus and even Cybertruck and the Mexico plant and Robotaxi/'Model 2'. I am not trying to minimize the importance of new products categories. I am suggesting that the TSLA prospers are bright and worthy of high valuation even without those things!

Remember that continuous fundamental manufacturing and materials advances are truly making dramatic improvements in efficiency, permitting positive free cash flow in the midst of major capital expenses including regular investment in new national markets.

Remember too, that I did not mention subscriptions, VPP's nor Supercharger revenues. We all should know that those are already at the cusp of massive growth, with massive new Supercharger expansion to mentioned extensively but obvious to anyone who follows Supercharge.info.

Please, can we concentrate on this sort of issue! the various threads on financial forecasting all will benefit from increased attention to factual progress.

A business making thousands a month providing a Robotaxi service may find such a rate acceptable.

It seems unlikely that a private owner using FSD for personal travel would feel comfortable to pay that rate.

A tiered FSD rate based on miles or hours in use per month might cover the extremes of the usage range more equitably.

Or, a "Robotaxi Mode" where there is a percentage taken when Tesla is managing Robotaxi operation while in that mode. For personal use (not for profit) it is billed at a flat rate per month and can only be summoned by a limited number of listed Tesla Phone App users. (i.e.: $20/mo/user up to 10 users)
For personal travel-- yes that is a high cost. But if the owner runs out the car for robotaxi purposes than that is not a bad idea. While even i'm hesitant at the personal robotaxi rideshare prospect, there was also a time when it was inconceivable to download and/or stream a movie, among other paradigm shifts that have occurred in last 20 to 30 years. FWIW 30+ years ago i was surfing the web on a sun microsystems server (account) on college and trying to explain to my tech savvy friends "www..." but they thought that was crazy...

As an old coot I would pay $500/month for REAL FSD when I get too old to drive. Lots better than stranger Uber drivers who cannot be there instantly and effortlessly exactly when I want to leave.
80 yr old OLD COOT agrees and then I can brag to my buddies at the coffee shop that I have a chauffer for only $6000 a year

A business making thousands a month providing a Robotaxi service may find such a rate acceptable.

It seems unlikely that a private owner using FSD for personal travel would feel comfortable to pay that rate.

A tiered FSD rate based on miles or hours in use per month might cover the extremes of the usage range more equitably.

Or, a "Robotaxi Mode" where there is a percentage taken when Tesla is managing Robotaxi operation while in that mode. For personal use (not for profit) it is billed at a flat rate per month and can only be summoned by a limited number of listed Tesla Phone App users. (i.e.: $50/mo/user up to 10 users)
Or (e.g.) the greater of $100/month or 10c/mile so Tesla gets set recurring revenue for low distance drivers and captures the upside for robotaxi fleets

Tesla won another class action lawsuit against them. Combination of five lawsuits. Something about Tesla monopolizing parts and repairs. You can find the article on Reuters.

A few clarifications- it was proposed, but not actually certified as, a class action (MANY of the lawsuits people describe as class actions against Tesla are in this state, and usually never do get certified as class actions at all)

They didn't "win" the case as the case never went to trial, it was dismissed before being tried (why is below)- while a dismissal is good for Tesla, it's not generally considered a "win" legally because the case remains unresolved and could be refiled correcting issues with the original filing.

The judge dismissed it not because the problems they claimed they had (long wait times for parts, high prices for them, etc) weren't true- but because they failed to provide evidence these weren't already-known problems they should have been aware of before buying and thus were not deceived by Tesla.

Specifically:
The judge said:
nowhere do plaintiffs allege that consumers are in fact unaware of the supposedly supracompetitive prices and exorbitant wait times

The
Where does the Cybertruck "headlight" light actually come from? The upper strip across the front of the hood? Or the 2 lower bright spots?

Can't wait till I get mine in a few years!
The strip is a DRL, the lower inset above the bumper is the headlights.

1700496785449.png

A reply post that seemed to be well received and maybe even useful was deleted as it was a reply to another post which I guess the OP deleted. Understood, that's how the forum works.

Just the same I'd like to revisit the concept briefly, as fear can be a driving force in irrational analysis which leads to poor decision-making.

Many years ago I was exposed to the concept that in most instances, fear is the result of a knee-jerk reaction, rather than evaluation. In this presentation the following acronym was shared to be used as a reminder to qualify the knee-jerk reaction before responding to it.

Upon closer examination, a fear is usually found to be nothing more than:

False Evidence Appearing Real​

Because investors often base decisions upon fear of losses, driven by fear of something in the popular media, it is important to qualify the thing that is being perceived as to whether it is valid, or not. After all, what is the "F" in FUD, right? Induced fear is a powerful motivator.

One of Warren Buffett's strategic quotes,
"Be fearful when others are greedy and greedy when others are fearful"​
embraces just how much fear plays a role in investment. Buffett, if anything, is a rational, data-based thinker who avoids letting any personal fear dictate his choices. However, he does depend upon others' fear as an indicator for when to act.

A co-worker once told me "you get what you inspect, not what you expect" and this, once combined with the acronym above, work together to encourage investors to assess any feeling of fear (trepidation, pause, concern, etc.) that is acting as an influence by first inspecting it to determine if factual evidence supports any choice derived from it. (evidence other than emotional, confirmation bias, etc.)

Anyway, I hope folks find value in this, and that it wasn't a waste of time to recreate it. This strategy has always served me well and helps to avoid making regretful choices during times where fear, uncertainty, and doubt are prevalent.

HODL

A reply post that seemed to be well received and maybe even useful was deleted as it was a reply to another post which I guess the OP deleted...

HODL
Not thinking that's how the forum works, I occasionally delete my original post once it's been adequately replied to, just to remove redundant forum bandwidth, when my original post is included in the reply.

I took this screenshot from this morning’s e-mailed newsfeed from The Globe and Mail.

The headline story was all about issues of foreign workers being summoned to help with the described EV battery plant construction in Windsor ON.

What I thought may be of interest is there was no mention of Tesla in the story because, well, it had nothing to do with Tesla.

But look at the stock photo that was attached to the story:

IMG_1632.png

As an old coot I would pay $500/month for REAL FSD when I get too old to drive. Lots better than stranger Uber drivers who cannot be there instantly and effortlessly exactly when I want to leave.
I'll join your commotion ( a group of coots). I'll pay $7000 annually, FSD and Starlink Roam with Premium connectivity. And have a computer car that would make Hasselhoff frown at Kitt. That is also a Japanese hotel Pod/capsule when I slap on a "Pod" in the bed of my cyber(not)truck.

Nobody is gonna pay $500/mo for FSD as he postulates.
I find this whole flat-fee plan for FSD to be unrealistic and unfair.

Just about any online data service is scale adjusted, e.g. License for 1-5 users = $Z, 6-20 users = $Z x 2, 20-100 users = $Z x 3, etc. Surely somebody gaining daily income from FSD - like a taxi - should pay more than someone using it once a week to drive downtown, or back (inebriated) from a night on the town? I mean, your insurance goes up a level if you rent your cottage out on Airbnb, right? I can't imagine Tesla - with all its deep data - couldn't implement an equally intelligent and fair pricing model, no? $500 / month is tax-deductible reasonable as a cost for driverless taxi, but way too much for occasional use.

(Apologies if this suggestion has been made already elsewhere.)

Edit: And that's exactly what SpaceX does with Starlink - you think a Holland America ship pays the same as I do?? NOT.

Last edited:
Reading an editorial in this morning’s Globe and Mail brought my attention to a proposal, being made by a candidate running for an elected (American) office at some future time:

Under the plan I’m announcing today, we will take the billions and billions of dollars that we will collect by taxing, fining, and suing excessively large private university endowments, and we will then use that money to endow a new institution called the American Academy.

Can a subject matter expert provide an opinion on the legitimacy of the actions proposed on private university endowments?

If a case for legal legitimacy can be made for the proposed actions, as a (foreign) share holder in a publicly traded American company (Tesla), should I worry about my shares (or their value) somehow being taken from me.

• Funny
Reactions: philw1776
You can't make this stuff up. Nearly spit up my coffee because I laughed so hard!

Jefferies analyst Philippe Houchois said:

Canceling Cybertruck Would Be A 'Positive' For Tesla Stock, Analyst Says​

You can't make this stuff up. Nearly spit up my coffee because I laughed so hard!

Jefferies analyst Philippe Houchois said:

Canceling Cybertruck Would Be A 'Positive' For Tesla Stock, Analyst Says​

By now, everybody knows that Tesla has won. Many still have no idea how much Tesla will crush everybody else.

It's been fascinating to observe many go through stages of dying that Kubler-Ross described years ago. Fascinating because what has been applicable to humans worked also for EV/Tesla deniers in all forms of existence.

In any case, FUD generation is easy nowadays so they will continue doing it. Based on the turnaround which I see at one of our Tesla stores everybody else is doomed.

And this is only when we are talking EVs.