Welcome to Tesla Motors Club
Discuss Tesla's Model S, Model 3, Model X, Model Y, Cybertruck, Roadster and More.
Register

Tesla, TSLA & the Investment World: the Perpetual Investors' Roundtable

This site may earn commission on affiliate links.
So now assuming it consumes 275Wh/mile (generous) that would be 440 mile range about? For 500 mile range that would have to only consume 245Wh/mile

Dual Motor CT was announced at the reveal event in Nov 2019 as having a 350 mile range. That will be possible with a 122 KWh pack (not towing, of course). The Tri-motor with a 183 KWh pack could easily be spec'd at 500 miles range, although we don't have a direct assertion that it will be presented at the Delivery Event on Nov 30 (even though I would be surprised if they don't).

BTW, years ago, before Plaid deliveries began, Elon teased a Plaid+ with a 120 KWh pack. I'm certain this is the same 4680-based pack now going into the Dual Motor CT. When Elon cancelled the Plaid+ he was almost certainly doing so with an eye toward the likely production time-line for the 4680 cells.

Now that Kato Rd is being retooled for 4680 v3, I think it's time to start speculating again about Plaid+ (no more Japanese 18650s) and also the Roadster. I think 2024 is a good guess, as always, it'll depend upon the battery supply.

Cheers!

So now assuming it consumes 275Wh/mile (generous) that would be 440 mile range about? For 500 mile range that would have to only consume 245Wh/mile

I'm thinking the efficiency will probably be in the 350-400 Wh/mile range.

Here's my train if considerations:

1) It seems Tesla's target range for the bulk of US sales is the 300-350 mile ballpark. It probably makes sense for the first Cybertrucks to be in that range as well...and it's also consistent with the "300+ miles" listed for the dual motor at the original reveal.

2) The Model X has a roughly 100 kWh battery, and the rated range runs from 311 miles (Plaid, 22") up to 348 miles for a Long Range. This puts the X rated efficiency between 287 and 321 Wh/mile.

3) The Cybertruck is physically larger, heavier, and has a less aerodynamic shape than the X, and almost certainly has less efficient tires. So, the Cybertruck should have a higher Wh/mile rating.

4) Putting all that together, if the initial Cybertruck version indeed has a 122 kWh battery, and the rated range is in that common Tesla 300-350 mile ballpark, then we'd be looking at an efficiency of about 350-400 Wh/mile.

5) 350-400 Wh/mile is about 20-25% higher than the X, which would be pretty good considering the size, weight, shape, and tires on the Cybertruck. For particularly knobby off-road tires, I might even expect greater than 400 Wh/mile.

6) I believe the Rivian and Lightning ratings are mostly a bit above 400 Wh/mile, and the ghastly Hummer EV is considerably higher.

"NEWS: 16,300 Teslas were insured in China last week, up 36% YoY - CPCA"

Exports also look strong with lots of ships

I got to spend some time with the cybertruck today at the Santana Row showroom. First, pictures don't do it justice. It's an absolutely beautiful design. It looks like a total beast. It's a work of art.

I know some people think it's ugly and truck people won't buy it. I think it's going to make legacy trucks look like antiques. This is going to be revolutionary!

They also have an Optimus and a Model Y rear giga casting on display!

Attachments

• PXL_20231121_002333543.jpg
    PXL_20231121_002333543.jpg
    283.8 KB · Views: 34
  • PXL_20231121_002833123.jpg
    PXL_20231121_002833123.jpg
    447.7 KB · Views: 12
  • PXL_20231121_003843549.jpg
    PXL_20231121_003843549.jpg
    330.4 KB · Views: 14
Range is the biggest question mark for EVs. It's what half the board discusses on a regular basis. It was price as well, but that's been reduced thanks to Tesla.

MPGe is not what people are searching for when buying EVs, most care about how long they can drive before needing to charge and then how long that charge will take. This is more important when towing and the range is reduced by 50% or more. The fact is that most EVs just have smaller "tanks" compared to gas/diesel vehicles and will need to "fill up" more often which takes longer. In my F150 Diesel truck, I could tow my 6,000lb boat 400+ miles before refueling. No one will deliver that in an EV, but 500, which will reduce to 200-250 at interstate speeds when towing was seen as a great compromise.

Adding to the fact that most chargers will require someone to unhook their tow, it adds additional complexities. The 500 miles and the price were the two most googled features on the CT. The lower the range will be, the lower the price will need to be to create demand outside of the normal Tesla crowd.

Edit: The worst thing Elon could do on Nov 30th is to pull what he did on the Plaid + when he said no one needs that much range. He said it recently on JRE, which already made some CT pre-order holders nervous. If they can't deliver 500 mile now due to battery supply or density...just say they are open for it in the future. The range is relevant and why many truck owners opt for the larger fuel tank. Everyone saw the horror stories where the F150L could only tow a boat about 100 miles at highway speeds. The comments that they shouldn't be towing a boat that fast don't help the case.
Why do people spend so much time towing boats for 400 miles in the highway? I prefer to sail mine on the water.

View attachment 992562Interesting. I also saw this yesterday in the en_eu and en_gb manuals.

Link was https://www.tesla.com/ownersmanual/modely/en_gb/GUID-2CB60804-9CEA-4F4B-8B04-09B991368DC5.html which now gives a 404 not found.

Now I just see these 3 sections:

View attachment 992561

I get a 404 today on the Norwegian language manual too. Someone published an update too soon?

Just realized that the Norwegian Language User Manual for my Tesla has been updated with info about how to use FSD Beta. Earlier this chapter only mentioned Autopilot.

I understand from posts on X that this is true for other countries here in Europe.

Which made me remember this tweet by Elon on Nov 13th:

https://twitter.com/elonmusk/status/1723852174818471956

Whole Mars Catalog asks

Hey @elonmusk
@aelluswamy
or anyone else on the Tesla team:

Any guess on when customers might first be able to try out FSD 12?

Elon Musk then answers:

About 2 weeks

We are now looking at:
  • Cybertruck delivery event imminent
  • FSD maybe comes to China and the UK
  • FSD12 soon
  • Price rises, instead of cuts
  • The end of interest rate rises
  • Good china numbers, smooth highland ramp.

This could be the quiet before the storm

Everything does seem to be trending that way, though I feel the main catalyst for a TSLA rally (and a market rally overall) is simply the pause (and likely lowering next year) of interest rates. Every other Tesla positive will simply amplify said rally when it happens IMHO.