Welcome to Tesla Motors Club
Discuss Tesla's Model S, Model 3, Model X, Model Y, Cybertruck, Roadster and More.
Register

Tesla, TSLA & the Investment World: the Perpetual Investors' Roundtable

This site may earn commission on affiliate links.
No mention of brands, except Fisker. Still, this reliability problem is at the root of the pullback in EVs from most of the brands trying to find a place in the new world of electrification.

That is a big part of why "EV demand is down" for so many of them. They are a decade or more behind the curve and don't have the technical acumen that Tesla has established in this space.

I dare say that if they had mentioned Tesla, it would have been to show them as the outlier. The one whose products are reliable and whose customers are satisfied with the brand to a significant degree more than others which Con-Reports neglected to mention by name.
Adds to my feelings of cynical and jaded.

I've no problem with a 500 mile version - but why would it be a priority ? I don't think there is a big market for it - given the extra cost.
Lots of people buy the more expensive version of a vehicle, even if the practical benefit is small. It makes them feel special. And 500 miles vs. 300-350 will appeal to many IMO. Also higher trims are more profitable. If Tesla doesn't offer a 500 mile version from the start, the reason would be a manufacturing issue such as not enough 4680's.

Last edited:
Reactions: UncaNed and jerry33
Lots of people buy the more expensive version of a vehicle, even if the practical benefit is small. It makes them feel special. And 500 miles vs. 300-350 will appeal to many IMO.

"Lots" is questionable. As a percentage of auto purchasers these will not be a majority, and they may have to wait to buy that version of the CT.

The first run of vehicles should be a version produced for the larger consumer group who are made up of early adopters who don't have this need to own the most expensive version of the vehicle. This is a group who will be ecstatic over getting a CT with adequate range for the majority of applications.

No mention of brands, except Fisker. Still, this reliability problem is at the root of the pullback in EVs from most of the brands trying to find a place in the new world of electrification.

That is a big part of why "EV demand is down" for so many of them. They are a decade or more behind the curve and don't have the technical acumen that Tesla has established in this space.

I dare say that if they had mentioned Tesla, it would have been to show them as the outlier. The one whose products are reliable and whose customers are satisfied with the brand to a significant degree more than others which Con-Reports neglected to mention by name.
I'm not so sure about that. For the CR survey, every software glitch counts against the score. I'm sure plenty of Tesla users have experienced some sort of software problem, even if it's just "the car doesn't recognize my phone sometimes" or "auto wipers are acting weird".

The problem with the CR survey is that it doesn't measure mechanical reliability. An ICE car is a lot more likely to break down and leave you stranded. An ICE car is more likely to have something break that costs a lot to fix.

But with CR's methodology, a software-centric car is penalized because such a car will inherently lead to more bugs.

I'm not so sure about that. For the CR survey, every software glitch counts against the score. I'm sure plenty of Tesla users have experienced some sort of software problem, even if it's just "the car doesn't recognize my phone sometimes" or "auto wipers are acting weird".

The problem with the CR survey is that it doesn't measure mechanical reliability. An ICE car is a lot more likely to break down and leave you stranded. An ICE car is more likely to have something break that costs a lot to fix.

But with CR's methodology, a software-centric car is penalized because such a car will inherently lead to more bugs.

CR's methodology is very outdated given the EV market. However I'm not sure if that is an oversight or on purpose to push an agenda? 🤔

Either way I no longer pay any attention to them, they've lost relevancy for me.

The DealBook Summit was Elon at his best—this is the Elon I know and love, and in part why I invest in TSLA. All he was saying is that it angers him when people act all kind and nice and anti-discriminatory when really they’re just the opposite—all virtue signaling without the actual virtue, all hopey-changey talk followed up by bad actions. And he thinks many people, with their boots firmly planted on Earth, can also see through the BS.

We observe this BS played out in multi-national corporations, in advertising, Wall Street, national politics, internet, etc, every single day. The simulacrum of kindness/morality/justice is not kindness/morality/justice, no matter how the silly million-dollar advertisements, TV shows and movies try to spin the narrative. It cracks me up to hear the wailing, “Oh that horrible Elon dropping F-bombs! Oh, the humanity! What will the children think!” This is the sort of nonsense Elon’s referring to. Good grief. If you don't like how the world is, stop the whiny virtue signaling, get off your butt and go out and try to change it.

Sign me up for another 25 TSLA shares. Just because Elon made me chuckle.

All valid points.

Hense the use of Tesla's recalls (often remedied by over the air updates) flagrantly employed in attempts to disparage the company in the popular media for years.

This should also be tempered by the fact one or more persons from the Ford Foundation (completely private, neither affiliated nor aligned with the auto company ;) ) hold positions of influence at Consumer Reports.

The DealBook Summit was Elon at his best—this is the Elon I know and love, and in part why I invest in TSLA. All he was saying is that it angers him when people act all kind and nice and anti-discriminatory when really they’re just the opposite—all virtue signaling without the actual virtue, all hopey-changey talk followed up by bad actions. And he thinks many people, with their boots firmly planted on Earth, can also see through the BS.

We observe this BS played out in multi-national corporations, in advertising, Wall Street, national politics, internet, etc, every single day. The simulacrum of kindness/morality/justice is not kindness/morality/justice, no matter how the silly million-dollar advertisements, TV shows and movies try to spin the narrative. It cracks me up to hear the wailing, “Oh that horrible Elon dropping F-bombs! Oh, the humanity! What will the children think!” This is the sort of nonsense Elon’s referring to. Good grief. If you don't like how the world is, stop the whiny virtue signaling, get off your butt and go out and try to change it.

Sign me up for another 25 TSLA shares. Just because Elon made me chuckle.
Agreed 100%. I see this in apple all the time. They go to great lengths to have super-diverse advertisements, and try to come across as caring and happy and trustworthy, while all the time going to gargantuan effort to avoid taxes, lock-in their customers, and outsource all of their manufacturing to the cheapest possible factories in China. They probably assume nobody ever sees through their 'public' face.
I'm an ex apple engineer. My phone is a samsung...

CR's methodology is very outdated given the EV market. However I'm not sure if that is an oversight or on purpose to push an agenda? 🤔

Either way I no longer pay any attention to them, they've lost relevancy for me.
I've found CR has been consistently wrong since the seventies. They are there mostly to support the "industry", which most high end products are not part of.

Adds to my feelings of cynical and jaded.
Do not despair. The cynicism and jadedness are just part of the grieving process. In time (assuming you live long enough) you will let go of the toxic childhood fairytales of truth, justice and the American way, and accept the world simply for what it is: fraud and folly. You must accept so that you can survive. And once the proper mental models for survival are solidly in place, you can win. And winning and happiness are everything.

It’ll get better (again, assuming the cynicism and jadedness don’t kill you first).

“Accept without resentment whatever may befall.” --Marcus Aurelius Antoninus

Screen Shot 2023-11-30 at 10.14.32 AM.png

And here comes the UAW..............They will have the media and White House backing. Not saying they will succeed but it will be more nasty stories in the media.

Scroll down, Tesla is mentioned.

In other news, the Mafia has decided to organize garbage collection nationwide.