Welcome to Tesla Motors Club
Discuss Tesla's Model S, Model 3, Model X, Model Y, Cybertruck, Roadster and More.
Register

Tesla, TSLA & the Investment World: the Perpetual Investors' Roundtable

This site may earn commission on affiliate links.
It's not really about capability, it's about supporting standard plows.
The Lightning can't take standard plows because of where they put a part.
AFAIK pretty much every plow requires a custom adaptor to fit it to a particular truck.
Indeed. It's also unknown how the cast chassis and "exoskeleton" design will affect attachments points for things like plows.

Also, truck have GAWR's that should not be exceeded, although many people do (significantly) for plows[1]... it would be nice to know what that is.

[1] - It's often the case for ICE trucks that the "biggest" truck model/engine has a lesser available plow capacity...the front axle limits are often closer to max with a big heavy diesel engine...
Plows typically have adaptors to provide "customized" mounts on different vehicles. I wouldn't think a cast structure would preclude that-provided that structure was designed to handle those loads-and some mounting options. Though with the full "skid plate" or aero plate under the entire body, that might be an issue. Plow manufacturers will need to respond with 48VDC hydraulic pumps and controls. Could be a good thing-12VDC pumps pull a good bit of current and require large cables (though I don't know how many amps). The traction control of the CT should make it an awesome plowing truck-will be interesting to see how it performs in practice. Plowing sucks a lot of gas, so I assume it will suck down a battery pretty quickly, perhaps making it unsuitable for those doing commercial plowing. Those guys are putting in some LONG hours after a good snowfall. Taking time out to charge, particularly if they are in an area without DCFCs, will pretty much preclude their use.

Last edited:
Correct. We have established I’m not in AZ and AZ is not just down the street. However, back in the day, the spouse did use our station wagon as a plow to get through a section of drifted road during a blizzard. The drift was well over the roof of the car. If you hit it at just the right speed, don’t lift your foot, death grip the wheel, the road is relatively straight and wide, and have some banked good will with The Almighty, it works surprisingly well. So, CT through 8’ of snow might actually be possible. As above, I’ll back to everyone on that. Or not. Perhaps I’m overdrawn and unaware. 🤷🏻
8 foot of powder vs a 7000 lb CT, it might work. 8' of North Idaho Concrete as we used to call it (wet, heavy snow), not so much. 8' of powder would make a great CT video. I think they are going to need to do a deep snow challenge video of CT vs an F-150 vs a Silverado before the winter is over!

AFAIK pretty much every plow requires a custom adaptor to fit it to a particular truck.

Plows typically have adaptors to provide "customized" mounts on different vehicles. I wouldn't think a cast structure would preclude that-provided that structure was designed to handle those loads-and some mounting options. Though with the full "skid plate" or aero plate under the entire body, that might be an issue. Plow manufacturers will need to respond with 48VDC hydraulic pumps and controls. Could be a good thing-12VDC pumps pull a good bit of current and require large cables (though I don't know how many amps). The traction control of the CT should make it an awesome plowing truck-will be interesting to see how it performs in practice. Plowing sucks a lot of gas, so I assume it will suck down a battery pretty quickly, perhaps making it unsuitable for those doing commercial plowing. Those guys are putting in some LONG hours after a good snowfall. Taking time out to charge, particularly if they are in an area without DCFCs, will pretty much preclude their use.
I just want to plow my 220 ft, down slope, curving driveway. We rarely get big snow falls here any more, but we get slush which is a killer to shovel and my snowblower is useless.

I want my Cybertruck to turn into a helicopter, so I can just hover over all this snow and blow it all over you folks.

Haha, here's some 20th Century steampunk* tech that's begging to be updated for the 21st Centurry. Anyone for an 11 KW ducted e-fan mounted in the bed of a Cybertruck? A truck bed insert for quick mounting/unmounting would be a nice feature. Battery swap included, and required. ;)

In Mother Russia, snow plows you.png

*in Mother Russia, snow plows you... :p

Haha, here's some 20th Century steampunk* tech that's begging to be updated for the 21st Centurry. Anyone for an 11 KW ducted e-fan mounted in the bed of a Cybertruck? A truck bed insert for quick mounting/unmounting would be a nice feature. Battery swap included, and required. ;)

View attachment 998026

*in Mother Russia, snow plows you... :p

I know you're joking, but an 11kW conventional auger type snowblower would be more effective. And a plow even more so.

OT: Nasdaq announced on Friday evening LCID will be removed from NASDAQ 100 index prior to market open on Monday December 18. This index is the basis of Invesco QQQ.
Source: Annual Changes to the Nasdaq-100 Index®
I’m not too surprised by Loooocid being removed. But sadly Enphase is also on that list for being removed.

I have/had high hopes for ENPH. Looks like the downside will likely persist.

The side fender panels are fixed to a structure on top of the casting. The plow xould be attached to the same structure.

Reactions: TN Mtn Man
Most people don't check their vehicles tire air pressure regularly. This wastes fuel.

Department of Transportation figures show that under-inflated tires waste about 5 million gallons of gas every day in the United States.

A tire that is 20 percent underinflated can increase a vehicle’s fuel consumption by 10 percent because an underinflated tire creates more resistance.

Nitrogen molecules are larger and slower moving than those of compressed air. Because of this, nitrogen won't seep out of your tires as quickly as air will, helping to maintain proper pressure for a longer period of time.
Air is already 78% nitrogen. In reality it doesn’t make a huge difference.

So... Tri-motor? Congrats on your Order! You get an est'd delivery date yet?

Cheers!
Thanks! 🙏 It is exciting!

I ordered the AWD, aka Dual-motor. Wasn’t planning to get the Foundation Series (nice Sci-fi reference there btw), but I was planning to get FSD which is included w the Foundation Series. And, if I’ve understood what people have said here correctly, the AWD version will come before the Beast (the extra acceleration doesn’t make much difference to me).

I bought some shares w couch money deep in the Summer ‘19 bear raid just to flip off Wall Street. I thought I’d use those shares with their gains to buy the CT and mentally pencilled in an estimated price from $80K to $100K.

Recently, I was thinking if I was going to spend another $20K, I’d order the range extender and maybe the tent. However, when the opportunity to order came around I didn’t hesitate for long. It‘ll be fun to be one of the first in my hood to have one and I’ve gotten back to playing around with woodworking so it’ll be useful. And there are a bunch of nice goodies included with the Foundation Series too.

It is also an opportunity for me to say thanks to Elon, everyone at Tesla, and all the other Tesla customers not to mention other TSLA hodlers 👍🏻. I‘ve done well by the good offices of all those folks. And, I plunked down $500 to be early in the queue for the range extender—though I’ll need to understand more about that before I decide for sure to get it, so I’m glad it’ll be at least a little while before I’ll need to.

Also you just never know when you’ll need that apocalypse vehicle 😅

I don’t have a specific date though I recall something about December-March with orders for California and Texas being delivered first and other states in 2024. The island I live on is not in CA or TX.

Last edited:
So... Tri-motor? Congrats on your Order! You get an est'd delivery date yet?

Cheers!

Oh and funny thing, I recently ordered and received yesterday the Cybertruck OMFG Window Decal (the smashed glass decal). And, lo, I was given the opportunity to order my CT today. YMMV 😉

I love that Elon and Co. can laugh at themselves. That’s healthy.

The Sweden strike doesn’t sound like it’s going well (if not FUD).

I won’t be surprised if Tesla bails as a result of Sweden trying too hard to force their hand…
Thanks! 🙏 It is exciting!

I ordered the AWD, aka Dual-motor. Wasn’t planning to get the Foundation Series (nice Sci-fi reference there btw), but I was planning to get FSD which is included w the Foundation Series. And, if I’ve understood what people have said here correctly, the AWD version will come before the Beast (the extra acceleration doesn’t make much difference to me).

I bought some shares w couch money deep in the Summer ‘19 bear raid just to flip off Wall Street. I thought I’d use those shares with their gains to buy the CT and mentally pencilled in an estimated price from $80K to $100K.

Recently, I was thinking if I was going to spend another $20K, I’d order the range extender and maybe the tent. However, when the opportunity to order came around I didn’t hesitate for long. It‘ll be fun to be one of the first in my hood to have one and I’ve gotten back to playing around with woodworking so it’ll be useful. And there are a bunch of nice goodies included with the Foundation Series too.

It is also an opportunity for me to say thanks to Elon, everyone at Tesla, and all the other Tesla customers not to mention other TSLA hodlers 👍🏻. I‘ve done well by the good offices of all those folks. And, I plunked down $500 to be early in the queue for the range extender—though I’ll need to understand more about that before I decide for sure to get it, so I’m glad it’ll be at least a little while before I’ll need to.

Also you just never know when you’ll need that apocalypse vehicle 😅

I don’t have a specific date though I recall something about December-March with orders for California and Texas being delivered first and other states in 2024. The island I live on is not in CA or TX.
@capster. Could I ask roughly what your reservation number is. Mine is 11302xxx. And I just got a note stating I am an early reservation holder but nothing more...

Another difference between what Tesla is doing with the foundation model is while Tesla is charging a premium, they will quickly sell them all. Legacy dealers get one of a hard to get model, slaps the "market adjustment" markup on the sticker and that vehicle can sit on the lot for weeks or months trying to connect with someone willing to pay.

Is it interesting? The cameras have been a single coax cable for a long time, this looks the same.
It could just be "confirmation bias", I was influenced by the commentators, who like me are expecting to see something that confirms their assumptions,.

I did think the small number of wires in that area was unsurprising, I don't know what they expected to see.

Overall the video was well put together with some intelligent comments, but no one gets everything right.

The Cybertruck line seems well thought out