Welcome to Tesla Motors Club
Discuss Tesla's Model S, Model 3, Model X, Model Y, Cybertruck, Roadster and More.
Register

Tesla, TSLA & the Investment World: the Perpetual Investors' Roundtable

This site may earn commission on affiliate links.
Have you ever driven a Tesla around European cities?
I have, but only with Model X equipped with the former technology, which allowed near-centimeter (actually showed the measures on the screen) precision in pre-horseless carriage central cities like Bergamo Alta, and so many others. Of course, those all are places prohibited to non-EV vehicles.

One changing to pure vision, thus far, I have not been in tight locations with my Tesla Model S. With equal precision and accuracy I'm sure vision is simpler and cheaper. I understand the frustration of those of us who regularly need that precision and accuracy.

I do not understand those who ridicule people who need that capability to park in very restricted areas, which abound in much fo the world, and are ubiquitous in most of Europe. Even in 'modern' places like Rio de Janeiro there are numerous areas with roads built and developed in the 18th century, and some even older. Those are invariably Narrow, Congested and populated by too-large delivery vehicles. These conditions are the norm in many places.

Prior to really good sensors such places were only convenient for tiny vehicles. Post sensors, many larger ones occupy these locations and exacerbate the congestion.

In my opinion, critics of driver technique are missing the entire point, which is that the tighter the navigation needed the more precise and accurate the sensors must be. That is fact.

In my decades of living in and driving in European central city conditions I have never imagined the ease that came with high quality sensors. I still remember having my passenger leave the vehicle for guide when driving in my village of Saint-Paul-de-Vence. The sensors eliminated that need.

Tesla is nearing the level that allows both precision and accuracy once again. We all should be pleased about that, assuming it finally is true.

If I am reading this correctly, NY is spending millions on outdated CCS on fast chargers with EA?

Governor Hochul Announces New York’s First National Electric Vehicle Infrastructure Funded Fast Charging Station Now Operating in the Hudson Valley

Living in upstate NY the non tesla fast charging is almost completely useless. Sadly it looks like they are going to do more of the same.

NY could make a huge difference just by allowing Tesla to instal chargers at all of the highway rest stops.

Particularly considering how Superchargers are manufactured in Buffalo, NY.

Where do you see Cyberbeast estimates moving to late 2024?
The order page for people with early reservations.
SmartSelect_20231216_083014_Firefox.jpg

Ordered! I know from an accounting perspective they'll lose money due to costs being divided by such a small number of production, but I bet there will be a lot of people helping the cause by giving Tesla an extra $20k to cushion the loss!

Cybertruck.png

BTW, this was a reservation that was done within the first hour of when it was possible to order, and the RN number was in the first 10,000 (if the tracking numbers are correct).

I have, but only with Model X equipped with the former technology, which allowed near-centimeter (actually showed the measures on the screen) precision in pre-horseless carriage central cities like Bergamo Alta, and so many others. Of course, those all are places prohibited to non-EV vehicles.

One changing to pure vision, thus far, I have not been in tight locations with my Tesla Model S. With equal precision and accuracy I'm sure vision is simpler and cheaper. I understand the frustration of those of us who regularly need that precision and accuracy.

I do not understand those who ridicule people who need that capability to park in very restricted areas, which abound in much fo the world, and are ubiquitous in most of Europe. Even in 'modern' places like Rio de Janeiro there are numerous areas with roads built and developed in the 18th century, and some even older. Those are invariably Narrow, Congested and populated by too-large delivery vehicles. These conditions are the norm in many places.

Prior to really good sensors such places were only convenient for tiny vehicles. Post sensors, many larger ones occupy these locations and exacerbate the congestion.

In my opinion, critics of driver technique are missing the entire point, which is that the tighter the navigation needed the more precise and accurate the sensors must be. That is fact.

In my decades of living in and driving in European central city conditions I have never imagined the ease that came with high quality sensors. I still remember having my passenger leave the vehicle for guide when driving in my village of Saint-Paul-de-Vence. The sensors eliminated that need.

Tesla is nearing the level that allows both precision and accuracy once again. We all should be pleased about that, assuming it finally is true.
I'd say you need more accuracy. Precision is just how many decimal places you can compute, so not required.

Great news for all but especially for that one TMCer from the UK who can't park his car without some futuristic navigational technology. Praise god people can now safely leave their homes.
I presume thgis snark is aimed at me. Oh look, another person from the US who has probably never left their home country but seems to be an expert on driving in central London or Cornwall.
This sort of arrogant snark is what drives anybody with a dissenting view away from this forum.
Go visit the UK forum here and see what people think of TeslaVision. Its considered a bad joke, and the worst thing about the car. But I guess if you arent a serious investor, you dont care what actual paying custoemrs outside of georgia think about their £71,000 Tesla having worse park assist than an entry-level skoda?

Ordered! I know from an accounting perspective they'll lose money due to costs being divided by such a small number of production, but I bet there will be a lot of people helping the cause by giving Tesla an extra $20k to cushion the loss!

View attachment 999968

BTW, this was a reservation that was done within the first hour of when it was possible to order, and the RN number was in the first 10,000 (if the tracking numbers are correct).
The $20,000 isn't really extra profit. It includes many things that people would likely order anyway.

I presume thgis snark is aimed at me. Oh look, another person from the US who has probably never left their home country but seems to be an expert on driving in central London or Cornwall.
This sort of arrogant snark is what drives anybody with a dissenting view away from this forum.
Go visit the UK forum here and see what people think of TeslaVision. Its considered a bad joke, and the worst thing about the car. But I guess if you arent a serious investor, you dont care what actual paying custoemrs outside of georgia think about their £71,000 Tesla having worse park assist than an entry-level skoda?
The new Tesla vision park assist appears to be getting quite a bit of praise. Time will tell of course.

The $20,000 isn't really extra profit. It includes many things that people would likely order anyway.
Not pure profit, but FSD is the main expense, and even though a lot of people ordered when it was $7k, I would argue most didn't. Also, FSD is almost all pure profit. The other stuff they're throwing in won't cost Tesla more than $1,000, $2,000 at the most. So I'd argue it IS mostly profit.

But if it helps you rationalize ordering an early one, I'll agree lol! I know I did!!

Not pure profit, but FSD is the main expense, and even though a lot of people ordered when it was $7k, I would argue most didn't. Also, FSD is almost all pure profit. The other stuff they're throwing in won't cost Tesla more than $1,000, $2,000 at the most. So I'd argue it IS mostly profit.

But if it helps you rationalize ordering an early one, I'll agree lol! I know I did!!
I'd say those able to order now most likely did click the FSD box to given the option of the locked in price.
Beyond FSD, "extra" profit (versus profit in general) would only apply to options they would not have purchased anyway.

AWD with FSD for $79.5k ($80k + $7k FSD - $7.5k IRA)
versus
AWD with FSD and extras for $100k is a tough hill to climb, especially if one's house isn't really setup for Powershare
Trimotor is close to $20k of options even valuing FSD at $7k, and isn't IRA credit eligible. Which leads to a weird juxtaposition. It costs more, but is a better value compared to the non-Founder's version (but less range).

View attachment 999968

Hmmm...my res is RN11286xxx not that far off.
I better start planning!

I'd say those able to order now most likely did click the FSD box to given the option of the locked in price.
Beyond FSD, "extra" profit (versus profit in general) would only apply to options they would not have purchased anyway.

AWD with FSD for $79.5k ($80k + $7k FSD - $7.5k IRA)
versus
AWD with FSD and extras for $100k is a tough hill to climb, especially if one's house isn't really setup for Powershare
Trimotor is close to $20k of options even valuing FSD at $7k, and isn't IRA credit eligible. Which leads to a weird juxtaposition. It costs more, but is a better value compared to the non-Founder's version (but less range).

Agreed, hence the order of the....CYBERBEAST!!!

For that version, it's really only a $5,000 "early access" fee, which I'm willing to pay (see included pic below). Also knowing it's going directly to Tesla (instead of a dealer) makes it a little easier to swallow. In fairness, almost all new, high demand vehicles have some kind of mechanism to capture profits from those that want to get it early. Whether its from the manufacturer (First edition, etc.), or through dealer markups.

Cybertruck Included.jpg

Edit: It also includes the Light bar ($800), and a $4,000 install credit to get the Bi-Directional Charging/Home backup working.

Last edited:
Hmmm...my res is RN11286xxx not that far off.
I better start planning!

@Unpilot, go into your account and once in your Cybertruck reservation, click the "Manage Order". It may say to start the process. I never received an email, but on X, people were saying it was showing up without the email. I went in and checked, and there it was. Hence the 3am timestamp on my screenshot once done lol.

Agreed, hence the order of the....CYBERBEAST!!!

For that version, it's really only a $5,000 "early access" fee, which I'm willing to pay (see included pic below). Also knowing it's going directly to Tesla (instead of a dealer) makes it a little easier to swallow. In fairness, almost all new, high demand vehicles have some kind of mechanism to capture profits from those that want to get it early. Whether its from the manufacturer (First edition, etc.), or through dealer markups.

View attachment 999977

Edit: It also includes the Light bar ($800), and a $4,000 install credit to get the Bi-Directional Charging/Home backup working.
Yep, ran the same calculation. Then computed 0-60 with trailer for Beast vs AWD. Then ran trip planners for both with and without range extender. Then worked on rearchitecting the house wiring. Then...

Have you ever driven a Tesla around European cities?
Plenty of us have driven big vehicles in tight areas on this side of the ocean without bells and whistles to aid. Our truckers regularly drive their big rigs and maneuver in impossibly tight quarters.

Driver education back in my day could be taken in school at age 16, though most of us already knew how to drive long before that. Anyway, back in the day there were no cameras and other hoopla on vehicles. Driver’s education included knowing and understanding where the ‘corners of the car were’ and so on -

Point being, if you couldn’t comfortably move about nor park your vehicle in a tight setting without assistance, you didn’t pass go and you didn’t get your license.

Plenty of us have driven big vehicles in tight areas on this side of the ocean without bells and whistles to aid. Our truckers regularly drive their big rigs and maneuver in impossibly tight quarters.

Driver education back in my day could be taken in school at age 16, though most of us already knew how to drive long before that. Anyway, back in the day there were no cameras and other hoopla on vehicles. Driver’s education included knowing and understanding where the ‘corners of the car were’ and so on -

Point being, if you couldn’t comfortably move about nor park your vehicle in a tight setting without assistance, you didn’t pass go and you didn’t get your license.

That is what I recall too. However, back then many cars had better all around visibility (with the trade off that a rollover killed everyone in the car almost all the time due to no substantial roll over protection).