Welcome to Tesla Motors Club
Discuss Tesla's Model S, Model 3, Model X, Model Y, Cybertruck, Roadster and More.
Register

Tesla, TSLA & the Investment World: the Perpetual Investors' Roundtable

This site may earn commission on affiliate links.
Elon's comment worries me.

Please Elon just don't make it fancy. Make a boring EV with traditional design, that is cheap, has plenty of range and very reliable.
Screen Shot 2023-12-26 at 10.49.47 AM.png

Screen Shot 2023-12-26 at 11.30.59 AM.png

I guess I look at this differently.

One way of observing Tesla vehicles might be…

Gen 1. All about the batteries/performance/SW

Gen 2. CT is about materials/castings and control systems

Gen 3. All about high volume manufacturing (finally)

High volume, built on already established tech in materials, batteries, casting, control systems and SW, will deliver the transformational disruption that a decade of engineering promised.

Hold on tight!

Are you sure? Consider the old tale of the chess board and rice...

If one O2 could assemble one O2, given available parts, as each one is completed it would then begin assembling another. Then it all depends how long each one takes, how much down-time for charging, etc., but in very simplistic terms it's a straght ^2 exponential

So if each O2 takes 1 month to assemble then by the end of one year you'd have 2048 O2, if thy just took one week then end of year one there's be more than 33million, and if each one took a day, then we'd have two quadrillion two hundred fifty-one trillion seven hundred ninety-nine billion eight hundred thirteen million six hundred eighty-five thousand two hundred fifty O2's

However that might be more raw materials than we have on this planet and may need to wait for asteroid expoitation!

Anyway, the gist is that if the 02 can build the O2 then the ramp will be anything but linear, furthermore, remember that you train one O2, then the rest get that knowledge OTA, it goes very fast
The money is in supplying the parts along with NN components as drivers. Yes, the Bots can do their own final assembly, maintenance and upgrades!

Out of curiosity. Why would there be a size difference between an ICE and an EV in regard to backseat, backdoors and trunk size?
Well when you eliminate the whole engine and power train, you can move the trunk to the front and therefore make the vehicle shorter in length and still have more room inside the cab.

Out of curiosity. Why would there be a size difference between an ICE and an EV in regard to backseat, backdoors and trunk size?
One can think of various parts which are removed - many already mentioned by others, but specifically for "backseat, backdoors and trunk size" the exhaust pipe, muffler, catalytic converter, gas tank and lines (hence the under-trunk!), etc would be on the list.

However, that approach (while valid) likely only accounts for the < 50% of the delta...the > 50% is from the fundamental opportunity to approach it with a fresh perspective. Having a clean slate to build upon, especially a flat slate on top of a battery pack, is an immense advantage over being stuck in a mindset of 'this is the way a car has been shaped before'. It leads to being more creative in some ways. One downside - clean slate approach also allows for prioritizing aero over pure space / function, as evidenced by the X/Y both having a lower rear top edgeline...great for aero but doesn't provide nearly as much vertical cargo area as other similar ICE vehicles which have a more boxy rear shape with more vertical space right in front of the rear hatch.

Moderna and BioNTech have very similar technologies and aims. The principal differences are that Moderna does manufacturing while BioNTech licenses. Otherwise Mderna is American while BioNTech is more colorful: Chief Medical Doctor is a Turkish immigrant to Germany, as is the CEO, her husband. Both are MD's with deep backgrounds in Oncology. Their colorful backgrounds and huge successes have capitalized by interest for some years. Moderna is equally capable but far less colorful.

As investments both have skyrocketed with COVID-19 success, for both their real focus has been with cancer vaccines. Both were bargains, both may skyrocket again depending on their success with cancer vaccines.

This field will have gigantic impact during the next decade, but when and what specifically depends on the vagaries of clinical trials and research choices. For investors, both can turn around a new vaccine candidate in days or weeks, but clinical testing takes mostly years. Thus both are speculative. I almost bet on BioNTech some time ago, just pre-pandemic, but missed the majority of appreciation.
I believe Moderna had early involvement with NIH and DARPA re mRNA processes about 10 years ago. Did BioNTech have German institutional/government support? BioNTech was smart to develop and market through Pfizer which I believe sped regulatory approval and market uptake of Covid vaccine. I haven’t followed the cancer product development, but would think continued partnership would be a good idea for BioNTech.

• Informative
Reactions: unk45 and navguy12
Elon's comment worries me.

Please Elon just don't make it fancy. Make a boring EV with traditional design, that is cheap, has plenty of range and very reliable.
I would not worry about his comment. It is a good design. It's also too expensive for Tesla's initial price point. Nothing wrong with Elon appreciating what was clearly a good design. Maybe inspires another higher price point model between M3 and M2 in the further future.

I would not worry about his comment. It is a good design. It's also too expensive for Tesla's initial price point. Nothing wrong with Elon appreciating what was clearly a good design. Maybe inspires another higher price point model between M3 and M2 in the further future.
The concern is the Media Headline: Tesla Model 2 is just boring. People look to Tesla for excitement--even in a low price point car. What would have happened to Apple if the did something such as "Here is our iPhone, our budget phone is a flip phone".

The concern is the Media Headline: Tesla Model 2 is just boring. People look to Tesla for excitement--even in a low price point car. What would have happened to Apple if the did something such as "Here is our iPhone, our budget phone is a flip phone".
I want the model 2 to be rather understated. I have a couple boys that will need a safe car in the next few years and I want a safe “cheap” car that doesn’t scream I’m privileged.. Tesla still has a reputation of being a rich persons car.

The mainstream media is going to continue to spin, bias and FUD for the foreseeable future. As long as Tesla delivers a compelling vehicle at the right price point, it will sell as many copies as Tesla can produce.

Most Innovative Companies 2023 ranked by Boston Consulting Group:
1 Apple
2 Tesla (+3)
3 Amazon
4 Alphabet
5 Microsoft (-3)
6 Moderna (+1)
7 Samsung (-1)
8 Huawei
9 BYD
10 Siemens (+10)
The article appears to be behind a paywall; I wonder what Siemens was recognized doing to jump 10 spots.

Super bullish! That article, released today, says "The incident - which left the victim with an 'open wound' on his left hand - was revealed in a 2021 injury report...". Hmmmm. Someone remind me just how many Optimus robots prototypes were there in 2021? Clearly this is factory industrial automation equipment....You can't make this stuff up! Again, I agree, bullish!

I want the model 2 to be rather understated. I have a couple boys that will need a safe car in the next few years and I want a safe “cheap” car that doesn’t scream I’m privileged.. Tesla still has a reputation of being a rich persons car.
My daughter worried about that exactly. She used to drive our Bolt as an undergrad. Then we got her a Model 3 for graduation and to take with her to grad school. At first she thought she might like to stick with the Bolt because she thought the M3 made her look privileged next to her grad school friends.

Then she started driving the Model 3 around a bit. She doesn't worry about that "privileged" stuff any more.

(And it hasn't cost her any friends)