Welcome to Tesla Motors Club
Discuss Tesla's Model S, Model 3, Model X, Model Y, Cybertruck, Roadster and More.
Register

Tesla, TSLA & the Investment World: the Perpetual Investors' Roundtable

This site may earn commission on affiliate links.
Two weeks. No seriously because q4 earning on Wednesday the 24th and reveal of Tesla and SpaceX company-wide talk soon after ;)

x39.jpg

It would make sense to hold off the release of the M3P (perhaps dual motor with Plaid rear) after the M2 is revealed. This will help to maintain interest in the midsize sedan, to offset the oft-cited Osborne Effect.
IMO No. People still buy mid-sized sedans, Tesla is mainly competing with the Japanese, Koreans and Chinese.

A more likely explanation is that M3P is still being "finalised" - that could be engineering, tooling, trial-production, release candidates, testing, regulatory approvals.

I would speculate that M3P has new motors and a new battery pack, probably new power electronics, new steering and new brakes. And maybe some other changes.

I would further speculate that M3P will be made first at Fremont, and the Chinese production may take some time, or perhaps may never happen.

My best guess is that Shanghai will eventually have the ability to make the new motors and packs, or that they may import them from the US.

It would make sense to hold off the release of the M3P (perhaps dual motor with Plaid rear) after the M2 is revealed. This will help to maintain interest in the midsize sedan, to offset the oft-cited Osborne Effect.
Don't think a 50K+ performance sedan would osborne a 25k+ compact car. Besides, I need to replace my M3P MJ2019 this year. So I need the new M3P desperately for purely egoistic reasons ASAP.

Yep, just like in China, there is no longer a Performance Model 3, that everyone was assuming would still qualify for the tax credit and cause pricing issues. Now that it is gone, there is no urgent pricing issue where Tesla would need to drop the price on the Model 3 RWD and LR.
There are still some great buys in inventory for the 3 performance...

The average CO2 emissions of new cars in Belgium dropped by 20% in 1 year (in 2023):

Reason: the often mentioned requirement that company cars (2/3 of all new cars) should be full EVs to be tax deductable since june.

BMW (the market leader in the Belgian car market) saw 70% of their orders at the end of 2023 to be EV’s (not hybrids!).

Note that the Belgian new car market is atypical with the German luxury car makers holding the top positions due their desirability in the company car market.

This rapid change has the side effect of significantly increasing the yearly VAA( ‘Voordeel alle aard’ i.e. ’benefit in kind’) for all the (already existing) receivers of an ICE company car because the VAA calculation is linked to the average CO2 emissions of the new cars. In many cases the VAA will go up by 20% in 1 year. A year ago the same mechanism already caused an increase in VAA by 10%.

Personal opinion: the current company car tax rules not only force companies to go 100% EV for their new company cars, the employees that receive them are also punished progressively more as time goes by for wanting to keep driving an ICE company car. 2023 was the year where the these new rules started to have an impact. 2024 will already be a year where it’s practically impossible to receive a new company that isn’t an EV. My guess is that Belgium will become Norway-like in just 1 or 2 years.

Yep, just like in China, there is no longer a Performance Model 3, that everyone was assuming would still qualify for the tax credit and cause pricing issues. Now that it is gone, there is no urgent pricing issue where Tesla would need to drop the price on the Model 3 RWD and LR.

And the Ludicrous Model 3 (LM3) waits in the wings until such time that Tesla can onshore the RWD/LR battery pack. LM3 is going be a beast, with 2 Plaid motors (carbon-wrapped 20K+ rpm SRPM), 680 hp and wot, 180 mph top end? (in 1st gear, no less!) And IRA-eligible FTW!

Well played, TESLA! Luv it! 😍

Last edited:
What are folks thoughts on when we will see earnings start to move upward again? Seems like we're stuck at this ~price until earnings move because I don't see WS giving us more P/E regardless of the other magnificent 7...

STOCKRATINGMKT CAPP/EEPS
AAPLNeutral2.879T30.26.16
MSFTStrong Buy2.793T36.3910.37
GOOGStrong Buy1.773T27.335.25
AMZNStrong Buy1.564T79.041.95
NVDAStrong Buy1.313T70.167.65
METABuy918.5B31.5511.5
TSLASell746.9B75.663.41

I thought the "rating" column was comical, so I left that in the chart 🤣

earnings should start moving up in the current quarter. The December quarter will be worse than the year ago quarter - leading to lower trailing 12 month earnings and higher PE ratio, but from the current quarter onwards we are lapping the big price cuts from early 2023 so the increased volume will see quarterly earnings move upwards (barring any further large price cuts).

IRA becoming less relevant; benefit still available to leasees. Nice. :D

Is This The Best EV Value On The Market? Tesla Model 3 Refresh In North America! | Out of Spec Podcast

Lease still don't allow buying the car at all for Tesla, which would've been the obvious/easy solution to the IRA issue.... it's what all the other car makers ineligible have done to work around it- pass through the $7500 to the lease, and allow immediate buyout of the lease- was hoping Tesla would do the same here.

Anyway keeping the sale price the same is an interesting choice here rather than the 2-4k bump we've seen elsewhere on highland-- assuming they don't do the same size inventory discounts they HAD been doing on the pre-refresh cars the loss of the IRA is still an effective net $7500 price increase so it'll be very interesting what sales #s look like with significantly higher effective pricing vs the refreshed model.

Lease still don't allow buying the car at all for Tesla, which would've been the obvious/easy solution to the IRA issue.... it's what all the other car makers ineligible have done to work around it- pass through the $7500 to the lease, and allow immediate buyout of the lease- was hoping Tesla would do the same here.
That's not going to fly with the IRS...
Q6. What factors are used to determine if a transaction is a “lease” for tax purposes? (updated February 3, 2023)
A6. Based on longstanding tax principles, the determination whether a transaction constitutes a sale or a lease of a vehicle for tax purposes is a question of fact. Features of a vehicle lease agreement that would make it more likely to be recharacterized as a sale of the vehicle for tax purposes include, but are not limited to:
• A lease term that covers more than 80% to 90% of the economic useful life of the vehicle
• A bargain purchase option at the end of the lease term (that is, the ability to purchase the vehicle at less than its
fair market value at the end of the term) or other terms/provisions in the lease that economically compel the lessee to acquire the vehicle at the end of the lease term

• Terms that result in the lessor transferring ownership risk to the lessee, for example, a terminal rental adjustment
clause (TRAC) that requires the lessee to pay the difference between the actual and expected value of the vehicle at the end of the lease. (Note that special rules exist under § 7701(h) for qualified motor vehicle operating
agreements that contains a TRAC.

To me, the only reason to lease in the past was when the manufacturer incentivized the lease to cause it to be a 0% loan for 3 years, assuming the buyout was what the car was really supposed to be after 3 years. Then it becomes like a stock option: wait 3 years, and if it's still good, execute and buy it. But if a lot has changed and it doesn't make sense anymore (hello Nissan Leaf), then no loss, just hand it back.

Really do hope Tesla changes the buyout option in the end. I think it would really juice leases. Of course, this might be exactly why they don't allow it...

I have been searching for an appropriate contribution to discussion regarding Tesla and organized labor. Not anything specific to Sweden or Scandinavia or Berlin or Fremont or a service center, but the company’s relationship with each of its employees.

I just came across something from one of my very oldest investments - tying with Starbucks in its longevity - Costco.

Last week, workers at Costco’s Norfolk, VA store voted to join the Teamsters. I am overwhelmed and, interestingly, rather excited and definitely pleased at management’s response. As my phantom presence on Tesla’s Board (remember: that exists solely in my head), I would be bringing this front and center for serious consideration. Here is what I read:

We're disappointed by the result in Norfolk.

We're not disappointed in our employees; we're disappointed in ourselves as managers and leaders.

The fact that a majority of Norfolk employees felt that they wanted or needed a union constitutes a failure on our part.

That is it. It is not an indictment concerning the stupidity or shortsightedness of workers over their lack of understanding how the company can serve the employees better than a union can; it is an admission that management has failed to communicate such a message.

Well done, Costco. Take good note, Tesla.