Welcome to Tesla Motors Club
Discuss Tesla's Model S, Model 3, Model X, Model Y, Cybertruck, Roadster and More.
Register

Tesla, TSLA & the Investment World: the Perpetual Investors' Roundtable

This site may earn commission on affiliate links.
1705099315316.png

source tweet

This afternoon when I read that Tesla is now offering POS US tax credits, I leaped off my chair and drove to the local Tesla store and bought a LR Y. Although I'd seen $5,000 discounts before on LR Y's, today was the first time I saw this on LR Y's with no options. So a great EV at a great price. They're 2023's though, so a lower value if I trade it in on my CT.

FYI Tesla no longer offers existing-customer discounts (I have Tesla solar) or CT discounts.

I also learned that you can't buy a Tesla unless you have a working phone with a Tesla app. The salesman said they cannot use one of their computers, and downloading the app onto my years-old phone that Verizon gave me for free was not successful. So I have to buy a phone to complete the purchase process.

I wonder if next year the IRS will not allow the credit and require customers to repay the $7500 through their income tax payment. Seems plausible to me. Retroactivity like this would be illegal, but who cares.

Last edited:
The Model 3 from Fremont can easily be sold outside the US. If everybody in the US prefer the Y.

I do not see a problem here.
I was happy when Tesla changed European supply from Fremont to Shanghai and finally I no longer had to read Europeans complaining about the build quality of their cars. Are you sure you want American cars again?

Last edited:
It was posted on the CT forum:
Apparently a relatively easy issue for a SC to fix according to some there, but obviously it should have been caught.

Of course it warrants a headline...It's the most polarizing truck ever. I'm sure electrek was ecstatic to find it and post about it.

View attachment 1008385

Rumor has it if you share this image with the Houthis, they will run away screaming and the Red Sea crisis will be solved.

Internet is blowing up about one of the first non-employee deliveries

It's going to happen on these early builds, new production process, new material...hell it still happens on the MY/S/X/3.
True, but I chewed thru the 13 pages of posts and near the end the OP took more shots of that rear fender/tonneau cover intersection point from perhaps 50 cm away and suddenly it looks okay. 🤷‍♂️

It was posted on the CT forum:
Apparently a relatively easy issue for a SC to fix according to some there, but obviously it should have been caught.

Of course it warrants a headline...It's the most polarizing truck ever. I'm sure electrek was ecstatic to find it and post about it.

View attachment 1008385
Not an excuse, but…

Reminds me of the gap that existed at the black rubber weather seal/black plastic trim joint that was part for the exterior mirrors assemblies on my May 2018 build TM3.

It also looked about as bad (as the shot above) when the camera was literally an inch away…I solved it with a bead of gloss black RTV sealant (edges masked off prior to application, still looks great at close range to this day):

IMG_1785.jpeg

Edit: last month there seemed to be a number of completed CyberTrucks sitting together in the “Island of misfit toys” section of the giga Texas back lot, all missing the exact black (presumably plastic) trim pieces being shown here. Maybe this is a bad black trim piece from a bad batch 🤷‍♂️

not sure if already discussed, ... but maybe China price cuts are so that they need to deliver less to EU and try and increase the local consumption? .. given the Suez canal issues? Agile/nimble
(default assumption is that price cuts are due to low demand ...)
There was also that insurance rebate that ended...

This afternoon when I read that Tesla is now offering POS US tax credits, I leaped off my chair and drove to the local Tesla store and bought a LR Y. Although I'd seen $5,000 discounts before on LR Y's, today was the first time I saw this on LR Y's with no options. So a great EV at a great price. They're 2023's though, so a lower value if I trade it in on my CT.

FYI Tesla no longer offers existing-customer discounts (I have Tesla solar) or CT discounts.

I also learned that you can't buy a Tesla unless you have a working phone with a Tesla app. The salesman said they cannot use one of their computers, and downloading the app onto my years-old phone that Verizon gave me for free was not successful. So I have to buy a phone to complete the purchase process.

I wonder if next year the IRS will not allow the credit and require customers to repay the $7500 through their income tax payment. Seems plausible to me. Retroactivity like this would be illegal, but who cares.
This POS development is significant. You can buy a MY today and get your federal discount before I receive mine.....from a car I bought 11 months ago! This statement is true for the next 4 months too, before I get mine approximately 15 months after my purchase. This will appeal far more to the many Americans whom aren't familiar with this "waiting" concept.

An interesting video on CATLs cell manufacturing process. It's a bit high level and kitschy as it's from Fully Charged but interesting none the less. Apparently they have a cell that offers 500wh/kg.

It will be impressive if it does well on the other axes of performance important to an EV: power density, volumetric density, cycle life, cost, etc....

Anybody know why Model Y RWD from inventory is showing no $7500 credit (but instead a price marked down to about 37k) while ordering RWD NEW showed it DOES qualify for the $7500 credit? (and so actually gets you slightly under 37k)? That doesn't make any sense to me why inventory ones would lose the credit (but only RWD ones)- AFAIK none of them are LFP?
I think it is because the 2023 Model Y RWD used the same pack as the Model 3 LR, but was software limited to ~260 miles of range.

I assume the 2024 version uses a Panasonic 2170 based pack. Unknown if it is a software locked LR, or if they started making a small 2170 pack again.

• Informative
Reactions: GSP and hobbes