Welcome to Tesla Motors Club
Discuss Tesla's Model S, Model 3, Model X, Model Y, Cybertruck, Roadster and More.
Register

Tesla, TSLA & the Investment World: the Perpetual Investors' Roundtable

This site may earn commission on affiliate links.
Possibly, but I think it's more likely they mean "balling", as in crying, sobbing, writhing in emotional pain... ;)
Isn't that "bawling"?
The three stages of stock ownership (in no particularorder): ball, bawl, bail... 😉

Porche was refering to the Sawyer post "Fully-Loaded Porsche Macan Electric Can Cost Over $163,000"
Base price: $105k
Options: $53k (no, it doesn't come with a Model Y)
Fully-Loaded Porsche Macan Electric Can Cost Over $160,000

Regarding the Cybertruck:

Europe's roads are too narrow, and pedestrian safety regs might rule us out.

No and no.

Some roads in Europe are too narrow - like the old town in many cities and cozy small villages by the sea. But most of the roads in Europe are perfectly fine for the Cybertruck.
I love to go on holiday by car. And I have always had large comfy sedan type cars. My Model Y is the smallest car I have ever had. And for many years I drove around Europe in a large motorhome.
It is no worse avoiding narrow streets in old towns with the Cybertruck than it is avoiding the same streets in a huge motorhome or just a large sedan the size of the Model S or a Mercedes S Class. Use Park and Ride or just walk to the centre of town.
And yes I have had to reverse my car for what felt like a mile or so on a narrow winding road when on holiday in England. But I would have had to do the same if I drove the smallest car you can imagine.
I would not even be surprised to hear about roads in the US where the Cybertruck would have to reverse for a bit if it met another car.

I don't get the worry about pedestrian safety regs either. My old motorhome looked like a bus in the front. And would do more harm than a Cybertruck if in an accident. The Cybertruck weighs more than 3500 kgs so it - like my motorhome - would be classified as a small truck. Many of which would do more harm than a Cybertruck in an accident. The Hummer for instance is perfectly legal here. As are F-350s.

Frankly I think it would be a great idea for Tesla to duplicate the Cybertruck line from Austin to Berlin as soon as possible.

Retail investors spending their money on finite-expiry LEAPS encourages Market Makers to hold the SP down for multiple years.

LOL

are-you-comedy-me.gif

Was this video already shared? CleanerWatts is explaining that the 4680 "lines" Baglino refers to are not individual production lines. It takes 2 lines (2 different parts of creation / assembly) to create one full production line.

So when they refer to having 4 lines up by 2nd half of the year, they just mean 2 production lines.

Then they will add the other 2 later.

Is this correct?

Not at first, but I would not rule out eventual CT production, and certainly sales, outside the US.
From a style POV, I can see the CT selling very well in China, maybe the middle east. I expect quite a few people in Russia would like one. Europe's roads are too narrow, and pedestrian safety regs might rule us out.
Eventually, South America, India, Africa.

Tesla thinks super long term. Its very not-tesla to design a vehicle that will only ever ship to a single country. Besides, why bother shipping 8 cybertrucks to China for 'display' purposes, if you don't have any intention of selling any there?

Having said all that, I do wish they would have more urgency with the semi. There is a product that they could sell globally tomorrow, if they get going on megacharger installs.

Yes, of course, to all you wrote. But, read what I was responding to.

The point was that the CT wasn't intended from the get-go to be a "growth story" on the scale of the Y. Pointing out the difference between how production was initially planned for each model as support for this. They didn't ship Model Y to other places for "display purposes." They built factories there, right from the start. The Y was planned as a growth story from the beginning.

I'm in no way implying that CT couldn't get to that level of production on its own merit. In fact, I see no reason it won't. Only that Tesla didn't "know" it would, in the way they did with the Y, rather, they just tossed CT against the wall to see if it would stick.

It stuck. :cool:

Last edited:
Was this video already shared? CleanerWatts is explaining that the 4680 "lines" Baglino refers to are not individual production lines. It takes 2 lines (2 different parts of creation / assembly) to create one full production line.

So when they refer to having 4 lines up by 2nd half of the year, they just mean 2 production lines.

Then they will add the other 2 later.

Is this correct?

I think he's off on his conclusions.

Guidance for 4 or 8 lines is meaningless if that is not final cell production lines.
Q3:
The Cybertruck cell with 10% higher energy than our Model Y cell started production on Line 2 in Texas. This quarter, we convert to building 100% Cybertruck cells to simplify and focus the factory as we ramp all four lines in Phase 1 over the next three quarters. Phase 2 of the Texas 4680 facility is currently under construction. The additional four lines incorporate further capital efficiencies over Phase 1, and our target is for them to start producing in late 2024.

If four was really two, then Line 1 and 2 would be all four, and Drew wouldn't say 'ramp all four' after enumerating two lines. Further, if lines come in pairs, it makes no sense to speak of them as seperate items.

Where the confusion may come from:
Q4 call:
And in terms of what we're doing, we're currently running one production line, one assembly line, using two assembly lines in addition for yield and rate improvement trials. And we have a fourth in commissioning, and four more will be installed starting in Q3 this year.
I think he's saying production line means assembly line, not enumerating production line and assembly line as distinct counted items.

My understanding of the current setup per the Q4 call: Line 2 Gen 2 jellyroll production is feeding three Gen 2 assembly lines: Line 2 for production, and Line 1 and 3 for manufacturing trials.
Line 1 jelly roll may be updated, but the production rate doesn't require it.

Overall process:
The electrode creation is typically done in multicell wide rolls. 4680 is no different with slitting done at the end. This is done before transfer to the next stage.
SmartSelect_20240127_083618_Firefox.jpg

SmartSelect_20240127_083637_Firefox.jpg
Jelly roll formation takes the electrode rolls, adds the shingles, cuts them to length, rolls and wraps them, and ships them off to assembly.
SmartSelect_20240127_083702_Firefox.jpg

Assembly takes the jellyrolls, packs them in the cans, places the end caps, laser welds the anode connections, fills them with electrolyte, and seals the fill hole. Then it's off to formation and testing in the racks.

From Q3 call:
Texas had two lines, Line 1 was Gen 1 cells of width X, Line 2 was Gen 2 Cybercells with a taller jellyroll (wider electrode). Both the jellyroll and assembly stages were different due to this. At that time, they were converting Line 1 to the Gen 2 cells.

Q4: Line 1 assembly is converted and being used for trials. Line 3 is a new Gen 2 and being trialed also.

Plan is four assembly lines increasing to eight, and probably an equal number of jellyroll lines.

Regarding the Cybertruck:

No and no.

Some roads in Europe are too narrow - like the old town in many cities and cozy small villages by the sea. But most of the roads in Europe are perfectly fine for the Cybertruck.
I love to go on holiday by car. And I have always had large comfy sedan type cars. My Model Y is the smallest car I have ever had. And for many years I drove around Europe in a large motorhome.
It is no worse avoiding narrow streets in old towns with the Cybertruck than it is avoiding the same streets in a huge motorhome or just a large sedan the size of the Model S or a Mercedes S Class. Use Park and Ride or just walk to the centre of town.
Say it isn’t so. That’s not what many of your fellow residents say. Color me confused now. 😜
And yes I have had to reverse my car for what felt like a mile or so on a narrow winding road when on holiday in England. But I would have had to do the same if I drove the smallest car you can imagine.
I would not even be surprised to hear about roads in the US where the Cybertruck would have to reverse for a bit if it met another car.
I ain’t reversing for nobody or nothing. That’s the whole point of a CT. 😉
I don't get the worry about pedestrian safety regs either. My old motorhome looked like a bus in the front. And would do more harm than a Cybertruck if in an accident. The Cybertruck weighs more than 3500 kgs so it - like my motorhome - would be classified as a small truck. Many of which would do more harm than a Cybertruck in an accident. The Hummer for instance is perfectly legal here. As are F-350s.
It is Tesla’s requirement for their vehicles to be the safest in the world. So, if it can’t get top ratings in Europe for pedestrian safety, Tesla wouldn’t sell it there. That may be an actual issue. 🤷🏻
Frankly I think it would be a great idea for Tesla to duplicate the Cybertruck line from Austin to Berlin as soon as possible.
Maybe the next generation of it? That is if it’s not a flop. 😉

Last edited:
Ok.

How much did you buy the house for in the 80’s?
How much did you make as a wage (per hour or yearly salary - not overtime) in the 80’s?
How much is the house you bought in the 80’s worth today?
How much is your wage (per hour or yearly salary- not overtime today?
How much was a loaf of bread, a gallon of milk, a chocolate bar, a T-bone steak, a dozen eggs, a pound of butter, a pound of flour, a pound of flour, and a pound of coffee in the 80’s?
How much is a loaf of bread, a gallon of milk, a chocolate bar, a T-bone steak, a dozen eggs, a pound of butter, a pound of flour, a pound of flour, and a pound of coffee today?
How much did a gallon of gas cost in the 80’s around the corner from your house?
How much does one cost now in the same neighborhood as your 80’s home?
What was the average cost of a new family sedan/van in the 80’s?
What is the average cost of a new family sedan/van today?
How much did you spend outfitting your kids for a new school year in the 80’s?
How much do parents spend today outfitting their kids for a new school year?
Remind me what was the minimum wage where you lived in the 80’s?
And what is the minimum wage now?

Let me know if you don’t yet see the inflation.

I’ll start us off. My parents bought their first house in the 80’s paying those same kinds of interest rates. They paid $49,000 for a 3 bedroom bungalow.

So, I just looked up the sale price of the same style of bungalow as my parents owned on the very same street - literally just a few doors down from my childhood home - $699,000.

And just for giggles - minimum wage was highest in the 80’s at $3.35/hr and currently stands at $16.55/hr.

Nothing to see here.
It's kind of unfair to ask about the price of goods 43 years ago. When the NYC subway opened it was 5 cents. Now it's 2.90. Since we humans have short memories we only look back 10 years in this case we look back to the pandemic. So inflation went up due to a number of factors, factories closed, supply chains limited. Since the things have stabilized but one thing hasn't The ability of corporate congloerates raising their prices because they can

Yes, of course, to all you wrote. But, read what I was responding to.

The point was that the CT wasn't intended from the get-go to be a "growth story" on the scale of the Y. Pointing out the difference between how production was initially planned for each model as support for this. The didn't ship Model Y to other places for "display purposes." They built factories there, right from the start. The Y was planned as a growth story from the beginning.

I'm in no way implying that CT couldn't get to that level of production on its own merit. In fact, I see no reason it won't. Only that Tesla didn't "know" it would, in the way they did with the Y, rather, they just tossed CT against the wall to see if it would stick.

It stuck. :cool:
I think you’re being toyed with, or we’ve got some members with short memories and even less comprehension skills.

Absolutely the CT was compared to the F150 for *feature and utility* comparisons. So that the audience had a frame of reference that the triangle on wheels would actually be able to do stuff similar to the standard, common day pickup truck of choice by Americans.

However, right from the horse’s mouth at the start, CT was viewed as you exactly have described, Moonshot. Something totally different that might not sell more than a handful. And if that was the final outcome, Tesla would make a more traditional looking pickup truck.

All of you (don’t make me shame you by naming you, just accept you’re wrong and move on) that want to make up stories about the intent of CT supposedly being made to dethrone F150s are full of beans. Stop it now before someone spends the weekend finding all the old Elon tweets and quotes.

It's kind of unfair to ask about the price of goods 43 years ago. When the NYC subway opened it was 5 cents. Now it's 2.90. Since we humans have short memories we only look back 10 years in this case we look back to the pandemic. So inflation went up due to a number of factors, factories closed, supply chains limited. Since the things have stabilized but one thing hasn't The ability of corporate congloerates raising their prices because they can
It’s kind of exactly fair. The original post included ‘I bought my first house in the 80’s and was paying 17% interest - blah, blah, blah, where’s the inflation?’

Pick a different starting point with a different interest rate for a house then. Rinse and repeat the exercise.

Last edited:
Reactions: Eugene Ash
Hearing aids went up $1,000 since 2022. (now $6,900). Necessary, but has to be one of the biggest rip-offs ever.

Not at first, but I would not rule out eventual CT production, and certainly sales, outside the US.
From a style POV, I can see the CT selling very well in China, maybe the middle east. I expect quite a few people in Russia would like one. Europe's roads are too narrow, and pedestrian safety regs might rule us out.
Eventually, South America, India, Africa.

Tesla thinks super long term. Its very not-tesla to design a vehicle that will only ever ship to a single country. Besides, why bother shipping 8 cybertrucks to China for 'display' purposes, if you don't have any intention of selling any there?

Having said all that, I do wish they would have more urgency with the semi. There is a product that they could sell globally tomorrow, if they get going on megacharger installs.

There isn’t much of a market for American style full size pickups outside of North America. Ford and Chrysler sell a few thousand in Europe mostly to people seeking a novelty vehicle. They are a very small proportion of the market in Australia and China as well. In most of the world, work vehicles tend to be small lorries or vans.

Tesla would not be entering a market. It would be creating one. That is not to say Tesla shouldn’t sell cybertruck in those markets. They could, but the ROW combined is unlikely to come anywhere near North American numbers.

The real action is in North America. The NA full size pickup market is 2 million vehicles a year with really only three players. It is extremely lucrative. Tesla does not need to dethrone the F-150 for the cybertruck to move the needle financially. Even just being a strong number 4 to the big three would do it. Anything over 250k by 2026 would be a huge win

Last edited:

Over the 124 years since the NY subway opened the purchasing power of that original nickel requires about $1.75 today. I guess they are not using the same equipment and the cost of operations are higher. Here's an interesting article on that.

Add to this how, in 1904, the USA used silver as currency. After 1913 we began the transition to funny money which completely detached from silver in the mid 1960s and gold in the early 1970s. After which it was correlated more with oil (energy) than a limited measure of metal.

The value of such a currency devalues due to over-inflation of its supply. The effects of which trickle down through an economic system over years as it attempts to balance itself.

The result of this is how it prevents the ability for people to simply "save money for the future" and have any expectation of it maintaining its value over years of savings. This forces folks to "invest" in things that will at least match, and hopefully outpace the rate of inflation.

Money creation affects everyone who uses the currency. Some will see the writing on the wall and plan ahead for survival in a competitive environment. Others won't.

These "corporate conglomerates" raise their prices in an attempt to stay ahead of what they see as a coming devaluation (inflation of money supply). There will always be leaders and laggards applying different strategies to cope with an ever-changing valuation of a variable money supply. It isn't ideal, but it isn't a plot for the conglomerate to steal so much as it is timing for the inevitable adjustment which must result from money supply expansion in order for them to maintain solvency.

Buying and holding stocks, particularly stocks like TSLA, can be an effective strategy to stay ahead of this dirty trick Congress and the Fed (through our own personal and corporate debt creation) play on us by inflating the money supply at a rate faster than is needed to expand the economy.

The coming disruption in the cost of energy should address this in a significant way. Being able to produce one's own energy locally provides independence from central control of the money supply, as energy is the foundation of nearly all costs of goods and services.

HODL

Last edited:
Say it isn’t so. That’s not what many of your fellow residents say. Color me confused now. 😜

I live in the countryside. Lots of room. Others may live in one of those quaint old villages with not much space for cars. 🤷‍♀️

I ain’t reversing for nobody or nothing. That’s the whole point of a CT. 😉

Agree - but I did not have a Cybertruck. So sometimes you are on a narrow road and meet some dude having just passed a layby but for some reason he cannot manage to back up 3-4 car lengths to that layby. Then you conclude that you must do the backing up and find out that you have to reverse for a mile. While you wonder why the presumably English dude afraid of backing up actually live there along the narrow road?
If I had been driving a Cybertruck then I'd just gone offroad for a few metres trough the shrubbery. 🤠

It is Tesla’s requirement for their vehicles to be the safest in the world. So, if it can’t get top ratings in Europe for pedestrian safety, Tesla wouldn’t sell it there. That may be an actual issue. 🤷🏻

Well I guess. Doesn't US rating agencies care about pedestrians? I do remember seeing some people walking the last time I visited.

Maybe the next generation of it? That is if it’s not a flop. 😉

You're right. I guess they put the Cybertrucks in the exploding Starships to get rid of them. Synergy and all that. 🤓

I live in the countryside. Lots of room. Others may live in one of those quaint old villages with not much space for cars. 🤷‍♀️
👍
Agree - but I did not have a Cybertruck. So sometimes you are on a narrow road and meet some dude having just passed a layby but for some reason he cannot manage to back up 3-4 car lengths to that layby. Then you conclude that you must do the backing up and find out that you have to reverse for a mile. While you wonder why the presumably English dude afraid of backing up actually live there along the narrow road?
If I had been driving a Cybertruck then I'd just gone offroad for a few metres trough the shrubbery. 🤠
So, how it is decided on this side of the ocean is simple. The smaller vehicle moves. Size matters here. 😉 I call it ‘forced curtesy’. This is how we organize ourselves when leaving parking lots after a sports event or such. The ONLY time the bigger vehicle doesn’t have the right away is when that bigger vehicle is brand spanking new and has yet to contain a scratch or dent. In that case, a tricycle wins.
Well I guess. Doesn't US rating agencies care about pedestrians? I do remember seeing some people walking the last time I visited.
They do care, just not as much. We have sidewalks for them. If they step off a sidewalk or one isn’t available for some reason; survival of the fittest you know. It’s why the second thing our parents grill into our heads (don’t touch the stove it’s hot is the first) is - look both ways before crossing the street, even at stoplights and pedestrian cross walks. 😉
You're right. I guess they put the Cybertrucks in the exploding Starships to get rid of them. Synergy and all that. 🤓
Ooh, good idea!

Last edited:
Indeed the drop in price was significant, thus I bought some DITMs for these with couch money. NFA
I'm so tempted... I still think there's a >50% chance this goes a bit lower first. (Starting to sound like @StarFoxisDown! - are you here still?)

Volume is currently in a "slump" lol... (you know, the latest street narrative), what's needed is some tech reveal along with a loss of sellers/stop losses. If they are not growing units (as fast, yes I know, I'm talking the narrative here), then they will need to grow in other areas to boost it significantly and get out of this rut (which could be one of a dozen things). However, if people stop selling, then it could be time to turn it around and possibly pop.

So I ask myself: Are there still traders who are going to sell on this FUD before Elon surprises us again? I'm pretty sure this is what short-sellers are asking as well.

Analysts like "surprises" but so does Elon. I "feel" like there's a big Tesla surprise coming soon. I don't think it would be before the presentation (Jan end), but possibly in the presentation.

These two opposing forces leave me guessing even more. Do the shorts have a window of opportunity still before end of month? I do think so. The buying here at this time could be a brief plateau while the wolves wait for some lower price, (and the -10% halt is lifted?)

As time tics on, everyday that TSLA is not tanking adds to my confidence it will rise. But the mere presence of strangers bashing Tesla here is telling me it ain't over quite yet.

I can't count the number of times I bought back in only to watch it drop out further and no cash to buy. Working on my patience for when to buy.

I'm so tempted... I still think there's a >50% chance this goes a bit lower first. (Starting to sound like @StarFoxisDown! - are you here still?)

Volume is currently in a "slump" lol... (you know, the latest street narrative), what's needed is some tech reveal along with a loss of sellers/stop losses. If they are not growing units (as fast, yes I know, I'm talking the narrative here), then they will need to grow in other areas to boost it significantly and get out of this rut (which could be one of a dozen things). However, if people stop selling, then it could be time to turn it around and possibly pop.

So I ask myself: Are there still traders who are going to sell on this FUD before Elon surprises us again? I'm pretty sure this is what short-sellers are asking as well.

Analysts like "surprises" but so does Elon. I "feel" like there's a big Tesla surprise coming soon. I don't think it would be before the presentation (Jan end), but possibly in the presentation.

These two opposing forces leave me guessing even more. Do the shorts have a window of opportunity still before end of month? I do think so. The buying here at this time could be a brief plateau while the wolves wait for some lower price, (and the -10% halt is lifted?)

As time tics on, everyday that TSLA is not tanking adds to my confidence it will rise. But the mere presence of strangers bashing Tesla here is telling me it ain't over quite yet.

I can't count the number of times I bought back in only to watch it drop out further and no cash to buy. Working on my patience for when to buy.
Can I be honest with you? (Actually you don’t have a choice, but I understand it’s etiquette to ask.)

You’re overthinking, too much in your head, and have been brainwashed.

In addition to your excellent post, I wanted to add some perspective from an Australian EV market as it has some interesting characteristics that may make it a bellwether or stepping stone for wider Chinese vehicle acceptance in western countries:

Some background characteristics of the Australian market:
  • Australia is wealthier by median wealth than virtually any other country - meaning a large portion of the population has the financial resources to purchase a wide variety of vehicles.
  • View attachment 1012666
  • It has a similar western standard / ideology to EU/US - although somewhat more Asia focused due to location / recent migration
  • It is a laggard in EV adoption as there are limited emissions standards (7% of new vehicle sales in 2023, up from 3.5% in 2022), limiting supply when manufacturers can send EVs elsewhere and get the credits
  • The rollout of non Tesla charging infrastructure is relatively slow, but better than in the US
  • There are virtually no import tariffs on vehicles to Australia and no domestic manufacturing competition
    • All vehicles therefore include transport costs to Australia, removing this as a price advantage vs domestic production seen in EU/US - Transport from Asia is cheaper than from EU/US
The below video from Fully Charged details how Chinese EVs entered the market (summary below):
  • China is #3 exporter of vehicles to Australia (behind Thailand and Japan)
  • BYD entered the Australian market 18 months ago and is now in the top 3 EV sales (Tesla first), with most of the remaining (ex Tesla) top 10 models also coming from China. Tesla is still the runaway lead.
  • View attachment 1012667
  • Consumer technology in Chinese EVs is impressive (compared to legacy auto), but maybe a little too tech focused for western audiences which focus more on driving experience
  • Legacy auto can't match the tech or quality of Chinese EVs at the price point
    • Chinese EV's can be as little as 1/3rd the price of legacy EVs - you can forgive a lot of issues for that sort of saving. Price difference can break through brand loyalty
    • It also unlocks a larger portion of the market that can afford EVs
  • Chinese EVs provide variety of makes and models for consumer interest
    • There are a lot of new models still to make it to Australia (pickups, GAC Aion with high power and fast charging to help long distance driving - cherry and zeeker are also rumoured to arrive in 2024, with Nio and Radar working through trademark issues)
  • Barriers to entry:
    • Homologation to Australian design rules is an impediment to Chinese manufacturers (but not more so than other brands)
    • Brand and perception
    • After sales support

Other comments:
  • Australia's auto market is relatively small (c.1.2m vehicles in 2023), this means that the manufacturing base problem is less of an issue - China sold c.8m pure EVs in 2023, so suppling Australia would be a rounding error and not require significant growth / restructuring to supply (Australia + China) market
    • As their manufacturing base increases to meet domestic needs, the % increase in their manufacturing capacity to meet meaningful market penetration of other export markets (EU/US) will decrease
  • I'm only in my early 40's and have seen Australian adoption of "rubbish" Korean runabouts that were laughed at in the 90s to them now placing p3 and p5 in the market. Only one US and one EU OEM make the cut.
  • View attachment 1012671
  • BYD are building EV manufacturing in Europe already
  • From our latest info there is still 2-3 years before Tesla NG will hit volume from GigaMexico, if Chinese manufacturers are planning expansion now, they may not be far behind that timeline
I'll be watching closely what happens to EV market mix and competitor pricing in Australia over the next couple of years. This doesn't mean I think Tesla will fail due to Chinese dominance, but it would be foolish not to be watching them closely and copying any advantage we can find from them.
Thank you for this informative post. It really is very relevant that for Tesla relatively open and affluent markets can be among the most valuable. We should all remember that it was South Australia that really launched utility level storage, with Hornsdale Power Reserve and Autobidder, which in turn spawned the first Virtual Power Plant built from many free-standing houses with Powerwall:

Australia has been far more important to Tesla and the mission than pure numbers suggest.
Key influencers in all this have been rarely noted:
Then there is Tasmania, perhaps most famous in the faraway world for exotic wildlife, but...
Share of energy usage from renewable sources in Australia 2022, by state. Tasmania had Australia's highest renewable energy penetration in 2022, at 99.1 percent.
This post is really intended to show, just a little, how and why South Australia actually led what later would be national and international movements.
Every Tesla investor should know all about this, how it began and how it really became the proof of technological and economic superiority of utility-level energy storage coupled with instant-response grid stability services. Factually, this project became the global proof that now is the fastest growing, analyst-ignored, central method to provide global grid stability.

Before anybody suggests this is hyperbole or not really relevant, read about Hornsdale, and the bizarre Twitter exchange that changed the world:
Whatever Australian national politics may have been, it really was this that has ended out spawning nearly global transition to renewable peaker plants and so much more.
No wonder Elon wanted to buy Twitter!/s

Possibly, but I think it's more likely they mean "balling", as in crying, sobbing, writhing in emotional pain... ;)

My immediate thought that it was "baller" in the urban slang sense of the word: somebody who is rich and "made it".

If so, it would be Porsche taking a dig at a $500 million AI datacenter investment as Tesla trying to be baller, but not having enough money to do it up right...