Welcome to Tesla Motors Club
Discuss Tesla's Model S, Model 3, Model X, Model Y, Cybertruck, Roadster and More.
Register

Tesla, TSLA & the Investment World: the Perpetual Investors' Roundtable

This site may earn commission on affiliate links.
The board needs to release a statement on the comp package decision and how it plans to handle it. Hopefully they had been working on one incase of this decision, so should be ready to go.
Unfortunately it seems like Elon will decide the response and the board will go along with it which is what the judge used to void the package.

The board needs to release a statement on the comp package decision and how it plans to handle it. Hopefully they had been working on one incase of this decision, so should be ready to go.

From the general tone of the ruling, this board has almost no chance of drafting a comp. plan that wouldn't be challenged in (a biased Delaware) court. Even 3rd-party 'independent' contributors are going to get hauled into court, simple because this ruling has chummed the waters, and the shark can smell the odor in the water...

I think the first move has to be to redomicile the company to Texas, we'll know shortly (Elon's poll was set to 24 hrs -- as if that wasn't also pre-planned as a response to this event).

A new comp. plan can come once the Delaware issue is resolved. Quickest way is simply to not appeal the ruling, but move forward elsewhere.

Off topic

One thing I know I know very little about: electronics, and one thing I think I do: acoustics -

In my tyro’s ignorance, wherein it seems to me First Principles tells us that the necessity of a heat sink means a circuit has been poorly designed. Why do amplifiers always demonstrate this entropy?

And now, to step on the favorite corns of many, likely to incur the downthumb wrath of just about all other than possibly those who by vocation or avocation - maybe @gene and a handful of others - deeply understand the topic….it is hard to imagine a vessel inherently more ridiculous for fine acoustics than an automobile. Badly shaped (cocoons whose inner cavities’ shapes any self-respecting butterfly would reject), poorly constructed (the reflective and absorptive materials are all in stupefyingly wrong places and shapes), and ghastly external interferences (ever-changing tire, road surface, other vehicles, wind & more) all conspire to make any who believe they have fidelity of sound in their cars the object of….pity.
I really need to know your speaker amp combo!

If this means Elon won't give a state of the nation talk then I'm going to get really mad at this judge! :mad:

Indeed, Elon's announcement 2 weeks ago that he would do a special presentation on Tesla's future after the 10-K was filed very likely means that the Chancery Court gave Tesla pre-warning that they would release this decision following the 10-K.

From the general tone of the ruling, this board has almost no chance of drafting a comp. plan that wouldn't be challenged in (a biased Delaware) court. Even 3rd-party 'independent' contributors are going to get hauled into court, simple because this ruling has chummed the waters, and the shark can smell the odor in the water...

I think the first move has to be to redomicile the company to Texas, we'll know shortly (Elon's poll was set to 24 hrs -- as if that wasn't also pre-planned as a response to this event).

A new comp. plan can come once the Delaware issue is resolved. Quickest way is simply to not appeal the ruling, but move forward elsewhere.

Good point, it would be good to get some indication that Elon is not going anywhere (I have no doubt he is committed to Tesla) but the FUD around this will be fairly relentless. Hopefully the move to Texas happens and that should put to bed any rumours of his lack of commitment to the company.

Create Musk Holdings
Transfer his shares from various ventures into it.
Sell shares in Musk Holdings
Use proceeds to buy TSLA and create new companies.

This maintains Elon's control of existing companies, but dilutes ownership. For TESLA it increases ownership and control. Companies that need extra cash can raise it from Musk Holdings rather than having further investment rounds.

This would avoid diluting existing TSLA shareholders and stop short selling dead (as at any time Musk Holdings could buy large amounts of TSLA).

Musk Holdings would have to be a private company, so limited opportunities for retail investors.

On Delaware Chancery Court decision and the prude collection of comments:
All anyone need do is use a wayback machine and look at this from a 2018 perspective.
I remember, so using only memory:
-In the process of trying to launch Model 3 there were huge doubts if it could ever really happen;
-There were huge questions about distribution, even if the thing could be made;
- distribution was spotty and powerful forces were aligned against BEV;
- They were making this thing in the Oakland California area, in a failed plant where everyone intelligent had given up manufacturing;
- Sure people lined up to reserve one or two at minimal cost, why not, it could work. (Note: one of my two reservations still stands because they still have no Brazil distribution)

At the time, as a stupidly optimistic shareholder I thought it would be impossible to achieve. Why not give a giant sized incentive if he could lead to impossible goals?

The judge in this case really displays bias against massive entrepreneurial success. It isn’t Nestle or British American Tobacco. It’s a scrappy obnoxious little South African nouveau riche arrogant company. She went against him on Twitter only to see him return even richer!
We can argue facts, but the case was not decided on facts.

The Delaware Supreme Court usually defers to Chancery decisions. Will this be different?

From the 2018 Proxy statement on which we voted in confirmation (at least I did):

“Importantly, we modeled this performance award on the prior performance award that Elon received in 2012. We believe his prior award was instrumental in helping Tesla achieve the objectives laid out in the original Tesla Master Plan and the tremendous stockholder value that was created as a result. In just the five years after that award was put in place, our market capitalization has increased 17x. By linking Elon’s compensation entirely to Tesla’s performance so that he does not receive any compensation unless all our stockholders benefit from significant value creation, the new performance award will similarly ensure that Elon and the team are totally aligned with stockholder interests going forward.”

Last edited:
On Delaware Chancery Court decision and the prude collection of comments:
All anyone need do is use a wayback machine and look at this from a 2018 perspective.
I remember, so using only memory:
-In the process of trying to launch Model 3 there were huge doubts if it could ever really happen;
-There were huge questions about distribution, even if the thing could be made;
- distribution was spotty and powerful forces were aligned against BEV;
- They were making this thing in the Oakland California area, in a failed plant where everyone intelligent had given up manufacturing;
- Sure people lined up to reserve one or two at minimal cost, why not, it could work. (Note: one of my two reservations still stands because they still have no Brazil distribution)

At the time, as a stupidly optimistic shareholder I thought it would be impossible to achieve. Why not give a giant sized incentive if he could lead to impossible goals?

The judge in this case really displays bias against massive entrepreneurial success. It isn’t Nestle or British American Tobacco. It’s a scrappy obnoxious little South African nouveau riche arrogant company. She went against him on Twitter only to see him return even richer!
We can argue facts, but the case was not decided on facts.

The Delaware Supreme Court usually defers to Chancery decisions. Will this be different?

From the 2018 Proxy statement on which we voted in confirmation (at least I did):

“Importantly, we modeled this performance award on the prior performance award that Elon received in 2012. We believe his prior award was instrumental in helping Tesla achieve the objectives laid out in the original Tesla Master Plan and the tremendous stockholder value that was created as a result. In just the five years after that award was put in place, our market capitalization has increased 17x. By linking Elon’s compensation entirely to Tesla’s performance so that he does not receive any compensation unless all our stockholders benefit from significant value creation, the new performance award will similarly ensure that Elon and the team are totally aligned with stockholder interests going forward.”
Even CNBC at the time thought it was crazy Elon would want this.

And the model 3 reservations cost 1k. That’s pretty significant IMO.

Judges are not stupid ... think about that.

There is a reason for democracy.
The Delaware Chancery Court is not a vestige of democracy. It is the legacy of autocratic practices dating to the Duke of York. It was created in 1792, to sustain ancient royal hegemony in the recently formed new country.

"The process leading to the approval of Musk’s compensation plan was deeply flawed. Musk had extensive ties with the persons tasked with negotiating on Tesla’s behalf. He had a 15-year relationship with the compensation committee chair, Ira Ehrenpreis. The other compensation committee member placed on the working group, Antonio Gracias, had business relationships with Musk dating back over 20 years, as well as the sort of personal relationship that had him vacationing with Musk’s family on a regular basis. The working group included management members who were beholden to Musk, such as General Counsel Todd Maron who was Musk’s former divorce attorney and whose admiration for Musk moved him to tears during his deposition. In fact, Maron was a primary gobetween Musk and the committee, and it is unclear on whose side Maron viewed himself. Yet many of the documents cited by the defendants as proof of a fair process were drafted by Maron"
So?
It sounds like this judge thinks its suspicious that successful people that get stuff done are those who can maintain good business relationships over a long period. Maybe most US companies are led by a series of disinterested CEOs that stride through a revolving door every few years, but the idea that any company not run that way is suspicious is absolutely insane.
I have a lot of sympathy for Elon's desire to have taken Tesla private! (but glad he did not).

I look forward to Tesla becoming a Texas company, and this nonsense distraction being put behind us. The board need to sort this ASAP, so we can get Elon;s company talk, and get refocused on the model 2, Optimus, Semi, CT ramp and FSD.
Tesla's mission is URGENT. There is no time for this nonsense.

1706704229244.png

Bearish on Tesla. "Creates an overhang on the stock" Price target $300 :eek:o_O

So?
It sounds like this judge thinks its suspicious that successful people that get stuff done are those who can maintain good business relationships over a long period. Maybe most US companies are led by a series of disinterested CEOs that stride through a revolving door every few years, but the idea that any company not run that way is suspicious is absolutely insane.
I have a lot of sympathy for Elon's desire to have taken Tesla private! (but glad he did not).

I look forward to Tesla becoming a Texas company, and this nonsense distraction being put behind us. The board need to sort this ASAP, so we can get Elon;s company talk, and get refocused on the model 2, Optimus, Semi, CT ramp and FSD.
Tesla's mission is URGENT. There is no time for this nonsense.

This doesn't affect Tesla's day to day operation or short/long term plans, it's a simple legal issue that can be resolved via appeal or domestication into another state. It could have a positive effect if the board is made more independent of Elon.

I wish people would read the ruling before posting, it's nothing to do with the amount awarded or the details of the targets, it's boils down to the board not being independent of Elon. Whether this is the case or not is down to the Judge's evaluation of the evidence. There is no corruption, not left wing plot by Biden etc.
The shareholders are independent of the board and Elon.
We voted for, and Tesla implemened, the plan as presented. Board and Elon's friendliness is irrelevant. No one said, "This is the best deal we could get."

If Board's judgemental is so suspect, Delaware needs to cancel every shareholder vote that went the direction of the Board's recommendation...

In the sense that not issuing shares is a buyback...
Yes, it reduces the fully diluted share count (GAAP EPS)
No, it does not reduce the current share count
No, it doesn't cost Tesla money
Does it make up to $55 billion available as a buyback? Would have to borrow, use cash/investments or do a smaller ($5-15 billion) buyback. I'm not in favour, but if shorts piled in on the FUD/court decision, could be "fate loves irony"

Reactions: SOULPEDL