Welcome to Tesla Motors Club
Discuss Tesla's Model S, Model 3, Model X, Model Y, Cybertruck, Roadster and More.
Register

Tesla, TSLA & the Investment World: the Perpetual Investors' Roundtable

This site may earn commission on affiliate links.
How does one know who bought shares in the past couple hours
200w (1).gif

But seriously, a lot of my friends lost their mind because "look, TSLA is mooning AH" and they all cited the SEC filing as the reason. I was the only one who said it's going to fade tomorrow. Algos don't really care about the substance of the news. They just know how the average Joe is going to react to the *headline* so they front run the mass, then sell into strength.

But it’s going to take something other than cameras helping with the sensing, first. Says my MY after having two cameras simultaneously unavailable twice now during recent rainstorms.
OT... This happens to us (one camera anyway) if we are driving and it's VERY dark outside like on a freeway between cities at night. Cameras looking back can't see anything, thinks it's offline.

But it’s going to take something other than cameras helping with the sensing, first. Says my MY after having two cameras simultaneously unavailable twice now during recent rainstorms.
In part depends on what can be seen by the remaining functional batteries and more importantly how the AI adjust its behaviour based on what it can see.

I can see scenarios where a Robotaxi slows down and proceeds very slowly when vison is limited, also perhaps ways to improve the vision of cameras.

And high definition radar is being added.

High definition radar is probably for rain, fog, snow, glare, etc.

Reactions: advocate8
stock will go down as he needs to sell a portion to pay taxes.
As usual, there are competing forces at play here.

First, forget that it is Elon, or any other huge shareholder, and just look at the effect on the company of Joe Random exercising options. A small amount of cash goes to the company to pay for the shares at the strike price. At the same time an obligation by the company to issue the shares gets retired. So the company balance sheet looks a little bit healthier. This is offset by the dilution of the stock by a few new shares. I have heard from others much more knowledgeable than me that the net effect is slightly positive, the company looks more stable.

When one exercises the options one presumably owes income tax (since you wouldn't exercise unless they were in the money). The difference between the strike price and the market price is treated as income, but you have to pay the tax immediately or the transaction can't proceed. For most people this is transparent; the broker actually lends you the money to exercise and pay the tax, they do the exercise, then they sell some of the stock to pay the themselves back for the loan. Unless the person has a LOT of options, this is unlikely to move the market either way.

If you are Elon, you could pledge the soon-to-be-owned, or already owned, stock toward a loan, and use that money to pay for the exercise and the tax, and just keep all the shares. This would be dilutive, and maybe enough to depress the stock all by itself. But historically Elon doesn't seem to have done that, instead dumping stock to fund the exercise, and that definitely tends to tank the stock.

Yeah looked at last years 13G/A and its reported the same way. Options = Ownership.

Kind of odd as I don't believe he can vote the options and it is not likely he can actually control this many shares as typically he needs to sell a portion of the shares for taxes when he exercises as others have noted.
Right, but he could if he had a bunch of cash and executed them. It's the standard for reporting.

I was reflecting on the whole AGI is needed for Robotaxi

How much you guys wanna bet that if/when Tesla announces they achieved AGI, within milliseconds we will have pieces from the usual suspects saying if it's right to use it for our labor etc etc?
You mean, the same way that Sci fi authors have been questioning that for... generations now?

(Sorry if I ninja'ed the expected @Knightshade on that)

What is value of something never given?

As prophesied: :D
(a)​

Amount beneficially owned:715,022,706 shares which includes (i) 411,062,076 shares of Common Stock held by theElon Musk Revocable Trust dated July 22, 2003 and (ii) options to purchase 303,960,630 shares of Common Stock that are exercisable within 60 days of December 31, 2023.

(b)​

Percent of class: 20.5% (percentage ownership is calculated based on 3,184,519,865 shares of Common Stockoutstanding as of December 31, 2023 and assumes that the shares of Common Stock underlying the stock options are deemed outstanding pursuant to SEC Rule 13d-3(d)(1)(i)).​

Market seemed to like this in the After-hrs session: :D

Tesla Inc TSLA:NASDAQ​

RT Quote | Last NYSE Arca, VOL From CTA | USD​
After Hours: Last | 7:59 PM EST​
$190.28 +1.57 (+0.83%)
Volume 5,273,286
Cheers!​

Last edited:
Bezos also didnt dump on the open market like a maniac.

Love Elon as much as we may, hes like that friend who routinely gets drunk and yells "me and my lil mate here are finna kick all yall asses" at the whole bar. I just wish he told me before we got in the car.
Reminds me of Yellowstone TV show when Betty convinces Rip to go out in a Cowboy bar and says she will emotionally manage and everything will go well. Then she starts hitting a woman in the face because she spoke to Rip and then the whole bar gets into a fight and she ends up charged for battery.

XTwitter is exactly that bar for Elon.
You never know when he’s gonna be constipated and spend the night on the throne posting on X relentlessly.

Magnificent engineering mind but a totally emotional loose canon.

I used to buy every dip in TSLA now I buy CASH.TO every time I have available funds.

Algos don't really care about the substance of the news.

'Algos' don't buy 5.3M shares Aftr-hrs with just 74.7M traded during the main session. This is some covering (shortzes hate uncertainty).

Clearly, the Market was waiting for this News, as was I. From Feb 5, 2024:
I expect Elon to release his "Annual statement of changes in beneficial ownership of securities" on about Feb 14th.

Last edited:
'Algos' don't buy 5.3M shares Aftr-hrs with just 74.7M traded during the main session. This is some covering (shortzes hate uncertainty).

Clearly, the Market was waiting for this News, as was I. From Feb 5, 2024:
What news? That Elon neither bought nor sold shares in 2023 which we already knew based on the single Form 4 from 2023 where he exercised 10,500 long held options?

2022:
Amount beneficially owned: 715,022,706 shares which includes (i) 411,051,576 shares of Common Stock held by the Elon Musk Revocable Trust dated July 22, 2003 and (ii) options to purchase 303,971,130 shares of Common Stock that are exercisable within 60 days of December 31, 2022.
2023:
Amount beneficially owned:715,022,706 shares which includes (i) 411,062,076 shares of Common Stock held by the Elon Musk Revocable Trust dated July 22, 2003 and (ii) options to purchase 303,960,630 shares of Common Stock that are exercisable within 60 days of December 31, 2023.

What news? ...and (ii) options to purchase 303,971,130 shares of Common Stock that are exercisable within 60 days of December 31, 2022.

The above highlight is new. The Delaware decision hasn't been finalized (parties were given 90 days to propose a draft of the ruling - likely won't happen in the opinion of "Richard from Knot Legal Advice" w. Farzad).

Several intriguing posibilities present themselves: (not rated by likelihood)
  • Elon has/is executing these Options between Jan 02 and Feb 29, 2024
  • One of his billionaire buddies fronted him the cash for taxes (or some other src)
  • he could just sell and report all late; $EC fine mouse nutz c.f. short damage
  • BoD plans to appeal, no settlement, run their bidness per shareholder's vote
  • 'move to Texas' vote soon; legal action in Delaware can pound it (dare me)
  • focus on next Comp. plan: better 2 beg 4 forgiveness than ask permission
Game this out. If SP tanks, Elon+buddies buy the business for cheep (legal fees r mouse nutz to a $10T business). If 3rd party squawks, then 'see you in court, brah', after Supreme Court rules (v. likely to suspend 'Chance' ruling). Case Law in Texas is nascent; opportunity to set precedent here for Elon & Co.

Again, do not be surprised to see State Representative E.R. Musk seated in Austin. "But you also tilt when you should withdraw. That is Knightly too." Then? Elon of Mars? Gov'n of TX!

Silly English Kanigit.png

Cheers!

Last edited:
As prophesied: :D
(a)​

Amount beneficially owned:715,022,706 shares which includes (i) 411,062,076 shares of Common Stock held by theElon Musk Revocable Trust dated July 22, 2003 and (ii) options to purchase 303,960,630 shares of Common Stock that are exercisable within 60 days of December 31, 2023.

(b)​

Percent of class: 20.5% (percentage ownership is calculated based on 3,184,519,865 shares of Common Stockoutstanding as of December 31, 2023 and assumes that the shares of Common Stock underlying the stock options are deemed outstanding pursuant to SEC Rule 13d-3(d)(1)(i)).​

Market seemed to like this in the After-hrs session: :D

Tesla Inc TSLA:NASDAQ​

RT Quote | Last NYSE Arca, VOL From CTA | USD​
After Hours: Last | 7:59 PM EST​
$190.28 +1.57 (+0.83%)
Volume 5,273,286
Cheers!​
Why file this when there are no changes whatsoever? Hmmm 🤔

• Helpful
Reactions: SOULPEDL