Welcome to Tesla Motors Club
Discuss Tesla's Model S, Model 3, Model X, Model Y, Cybertruck, Roadster and More.
Register

Tesla, TSLA & the Investment World: the Perpetual Investors' Roundtable

This site may earn commission on affiliate links.
Tesla apparently preparing to open shop in Columbia

IMG_6903.jpeg

Rohan regarding the Giga Berlin expansion vote:
There is zero impact on any future expansion plans. We fully respect the referendum, and agree with
@joergstb
that this is a good opportunity to redouble our work with the community and all stakeholders. The zoning plan would potentially shift more freight traffic to expanded rail infrastructure and that would be an environmental and traffic benefit for the community. Contrary to the prevailing media narrative, the zoning changes have nothing to do with water - there is no need for additional water for any potential expansion of the site. Giga Berlin is one of the most water efficient vehicle factories on earth with the ability to recycle 100% of processed water. It’s not widely known, but in the direct vicinity our team has worked with local environmental organizations to ecologically uplift 340 hectares of hardwood forests making them more diverse and resilient, in addition to the afforestation of more than 300 hectares of new forests. The work our 12,000+ Giga Berlin team of engineers, apprentices, material handlers, associates, technicians, supply chain managers, and many others have done to build one of the most advanced automotive factories in the world is nothing short of remarkable. I expect
@elonmusk
and the team will continue to invest in our Giga Berlin people, new innovations and improved products - and we’ll keep strengthening the bond between Tesla and our local and regional educational and community institutions.

@Krugerrand
OT but direct answer
au contraire.
If you drive the east coast of the US, Interstate 95 (I-95) and stop at the supercharger at Lumberton, North Carolina, 150kw (V2?) with 10-25% range, set your range to 100% charge rate, look at the signs "20% discount for Tesla chargers at adjacent steakhouse (cat's are carnivores?) you can have a pitstop, steak, baked sweet potatoe with heart stopping amount of brown sugar, gobs of melted butter, melted marshmellows in a gooey mass (gall bladder attack levels from the grease), plenty of time

(plus Willie Jewel's BBQ in Brunswick Georgia is a sit down eatery with a brisk walk to and from the 250kw chargers

(Lumberton, NC, Maybe 50+ miles north of Buccee's in Florence SC that has 128 gas pumps and 16, 250kw chargers)
(remember to use the phone in case it sets to 80% to override to 100%)
FUD! "Driving a Tesla is hazardous to your health."

Both, v12 is a branch of v11 and is now developed in parallel
V12 is (at a macro level) V11 with NN planner
The NN planner training breaks NN back compatibility with v11
FSD Beta toggles between V12 and V11 depending where it is
(Again, my impression/ expectation)
(if there's a preferable thread for this, we should probably move it...)

by "toggles", do you mean:

- It switches stacks mid-trip as it moves into different geographic areas?

- It selects a stack for an entire trip as entered into nav?

Do you have a reference to the current FSD incorporating both stacks and switching between them?

Reactions: UncaNed
Cybertrucks do kind of have sucky range for a truck though. I mean I love it. But anyone we know who was planning on buying it as a truck is not going thru with it. It’s not really any worse or better for range than any other EV truck. But 250 miles or so or 125 ish towing, and slow charging, is a huge disappointment for lots of people and some are expressing that. Can’t blame them for that.

They have also gone radio silent on the range extender battery so not sure if that will even be an option.

I’m sure they will still sell lots. But it’s going to be more of a driveway ornament than a truck. Not that I wouldn’t put one of those ornaments in my driveway if it was a freebie. 😊Love the look.

Jmho.
range extender is an option on the Foundation series order page deposit of $500 available later this year ... I for one am glad Tesla has decided to design the CT this way .. i would speculate that most customers don't requiring long haul towing and the considering the average daily trip is less than 40 miles per day .. why would i want to haul around those extra batteries ...
for those who have longer trips and are towing longer distances then you buy the range extender... i am very happy range extender is an option in case i need in the future... if i ever decide to go on a cross country journey .. otherwise is it added cost and weight for little value ....

Anecdote:

I've received 4 different texts and 2 different phone calls this quarter to upgrade my Model S or Model X. The Model X is 8 weeks old. The Model S is 30 months old.

Never personally experienced this much of a sales push from Tesla since I first ordered 12 years ago.

(And, as usual, they used a shotgun approach with their database searches -- the person contacting me about the Model X didn't even know I had just purchased it and the Tesla phone rep I just talked to about my Model S didn't know I also had a Model X. I find it hard to believe that their yield rate on these cold calls is terribly high.)

The thing that really got my goat about the text size recall, was Tesla being required to send out paper mail to owners, notifying us of the "recall", and then telling us there was nothing to do about it because it has already been fixed via an over the air update! What a waste of time and resources. :mad::rolleyes:
In addition, my goat was further incensed by the fact other OEMs also have incorrect font sizes but don’t have to fix them. Not being able to fix them easily or inexpensively isn’t the point. Tesla being held to a higher standard is bs. Rules applying only to Tesla, also bs.

Last edited:
Anecdote:

I've received 4 different texts and 2 different phone calls this quarter to upgrade my Model S or Model X. The Model X is 8 weeks old. The Model S is 30 months old.

Never personally experienced this much of a sales push from Tesla since I first ordered 12 years ago.

(And, as usual, they used a shotgun approach with their database searches -- the person contacting me about the Model X didn't even know I had just purchased it and the Tesla phone rep I just talked to about my Model S didn't know I also had a Model X. I find it hard to believe that their yield rate on these cold calls is terribly high.)
Unfortunately, I've noticed the 'disconnects' too.

My solar/home/permits have been ready for installation for over a year. Tesla keeps it on hold for some reason.

Tesla keeps sending me emails to install solar and/or buy a MY even though we have two.

AI DRIVR:

Cliffs:
A lot better at parking lots
Highway likely using different stack
A few safe but unnecessary navigation errors
Drives a bit too slow and high variance of the speed(night, map speed limit incorrect, no lead car)
I didn't go on to read the comments, but to me AI DRIVR describes FSD 12 weakness in areas where there are no other cars. This info stuck out for me.

When there is nobody in front to follow, it sounds logical to proceed more cautiously. I'm not saying it's got some new "follow" algo, it's just mimicking how our own judgement adapts based upon what the person just did right in front of humans... and didn't die. That's gotta be a powerful weight when propagating through the NN. It's quite close to what we do, as we may (or may not) have vivid memories of an animal darting out in front.

Those freak incidences like a deer are likely a part of the learning data. And if this is what it learned on, then it could be trying to proceed with caution but conflicting with the posted speed. It was essentially nervous and couldn't resolve posted speed which it's also supposed to follow. 🦌:oops:

Further, I could argue that this is how Tesla FSD gets to better-than-human driving performance. In all of our own personal driving experiences, we likely have many unexplored scenarios that could lead to human mistakes or an accident.

So here's to all the Tesla FSD folks who actually hit a deer in the road, so that FSD is safer than all humans combined, and so future deer won't have to experience this tragic event ever again. 🍾🍷🚬 🍄🪂🍸🍼🎉

Reactions: BrownOuttaSpec
range extender is an option on the Foundation series order page deposit of $500 available later this year ... I for one am glad Tesla has decided to design the CT this way .. i would speculate that most customers don't requiring long haul towing and the considering the average daily trip is less than 40 miles per day .. why would i want to haul around those extra batteries ...
for those who have longer trips and are towing longer distances then you buy the range extender... i am very happy range extender is an option in case i need in the future... if i ever decide to go on a cross country journey .. otherwise is it added cost and weight for little value ....

You ‘re making excuses for Tesla. A 300 mile version was always part of the plan. No one would have been required to haul around batteries they did not want. What was not part of the plan was a 500 mile version that required a major compromise in bed size. Obviously Tesla thought they’d be further along with high energy density 4680s to offer 500 miles of range without compromising the bed.

As soon as 4680s with high enough energy density are available, the range extender will be discontinued and its value will plummet in the used market.

Probably true for some...possibly true for many...but definitely not true for all.

The range has changed, specifically for those who *really* want the range (perhaps not so much for those who don't care about the range). My original CyberTruck reservation is for the tri-motor, not because I cared about the tri-motor or the greater towing rating or the faster 0-60, but because it was the version that had 500mi range listed at launch. With all due respect to the range extender add-on battery to be placed in the truck-bed, it is a very poor substitute for a true larger battery pack. So, while I will likely still purchase the CyberTruck when my number is called, I will be extremely unhappy about having to have a second battery in the truck bed to get the range I want.

<Side note: Yes, even when I'm not towing (which happens but is very rare), range is of primary importance to me. If there was an extra-large-battery version of the Model X that was anywhere close to 500 mi, I would trade in my 2023 Model X instantly. If there was a 500 mi Model S, that would be enough additional mileage over the Model X that I would possibly give up the Model X for that. I'm keeping an eye on the Roadster (2099???) to see if it has the promised range if it ever actually gets built. Yes, I can keep getting by with my current Teslas, putting hundreds of thousands of miles on them even with their 320-340-ish ranges. But for my particular use cases, it's annoying to. Even for my upcoming road trip this weekend, which is nominally just under 300mi, the range just isn't enough for a no-charging-stop drive without driving slow enough to cause backups on major highways most of the distance. (7 years ago in my prior ICE car it was a no-stopping-for-gas drive every time.) Investor connection: As Tesla becomes demand-constrained across their existing vehicle lineup, they should strongly consider tapping the maybe-not-huge-but-definitely-not-0 segment who would pay more at high margin for larger batteries across the S3XY lineup.>
I suspect they will offer extended ranges once the competition is serious enough to force them to do so, and battery supplies and chemistries enable it. But for several more years at least they won't. A 500 mile range is a minimum where we are in the American charging desert of the Rocky mountain states, at least if you hope to venture outside the small home charging and interstate charger radius for any sort of backcountry excursions when and where cold temperatures are common. I saw the writing on the wall early last year and just bought another Jeep cherokee that gives me that range in all conditions. Will check back around 2030 when this one's worn out to see about viable BEV or hybrid options. Unless we see dramatic plans to start densifying the charging network in the Rockies soon, an extended range hybrid vehicle like that offered in the RAM trucks next year with ~680 miles of range will be the best reduced carbon alternative.

You ‘re making excuses for Tesla. A 300 mile version was always part of the plan. No one would have been required to haul around batteries they did not want. What was not part of the plan was a 500 mile version that required a major compromise in bed size. Obviously Tesla thought they’d be further along with high energy density 4680s to offer 500 miles of range without compromising the bed.

As soon as 4680s with high enough energy density are available, the range extender will be discontinued and its value will plummet in the used market.
Best answer (and partially why I did't pull the trigger on a Founder's CT).

And the Range Extender was not available right away - that was a red flag, especially so far out, like the end of '24. Instead, prototype it, give yourself enough time to evaluate need as the ramp/chemistry progress, and if still needed by (summer), manufacture the Extender Pack as pure backup plan. IMO, we will see very few of these in the wild - if any at all. Maybe a small % on Founder series only.

I'm confident that in the near future, Tesla will build mine without a pack and towing will be solved. The Extender was never in the original plan or they would have made the main pack larger with varied kWh capacity, plain and simple.