Welcome to Tesla Motors Club
Discuss Tesla's Model S, Model 3, Model X, Model Y, Cybertruck, Roadster and More.
Register

Tesla, TSLA & the Investment World: the Perpetual Investors' Roundtable

This site may earn commission on affiliate links.
Tesla is remarkable, no question there. But does this "failure" really show it? Its not like Ford, GM, Hyundai, Polestar and 100s of Chinese EVs dont exist. I guess they must be remarkable, too.

Just try not to get carried away. This is a nothingburger.
You just named a bunch of names who has negative margins on their EV products and as time goes on, their EV products are starting to disappear as Ford, GM, and Mercedes already announced a retraction on EV investments. Currently Tesla is still the only EV company with a positive gross margin using western labors which is a something burger due to auto tariffs.

Some think that dividends and/or share repurchase are the solution. Some think advertising is the way to blow that cash flow. I think it should support more growth in business as well as efficiency improvements.
That just seems a ‘duh’ statement to me. Anyone thinking otherwise is missing the trees for the forest.

When Tesla is done growing, when they’ve run out of ideas, when they’ve succeeded in saving us all from ourselves, then we can seriously talk dividends and buybacks. So, not in our lifetimes.

You just named a bunch of names who has negative margins on their EV products and as time goes on, their EV products are starting to disappear as Ford, GM, and Mercedes already announced a retraction on EV investments. Currently Tesla is still the only EV company with a positive gross margin using western labors which is a something burger due to auto tariffs.
That's exactly my point. AAPL failing does not make TSLA remarkable. TSLA being remarkable makes TSLA remarkable.

I was tested by a doctor of psychology/neurology at the university my wife works at. I've also never seen a therapist in my life, not that I'm against therapy, but I've just never felt the need for any of it.

On topic, the market is looking very green today! Although TSLA is once again underperforming it's beta on a positive day, I don't like this trend.
Tesla looks to be going negative today based on current performance. We are having some weird times as days are green when everything else are negative. I wonder if it's just money from Tesla are going back and forth between the other mag 6.

Tesla is remarkable, no question there. But does this "failure" really show it? Its not like Ford, GM, Hyundai, Polestar and 100s of Chinese EVs dont exist. I guess they must be remarkable, too.

Just try not to get carried away. This is a nothingburger.

I read it as the autonomous car market, not just the EV market.

"Despite having a vote of confidence from Apple’s chief executive, members of the team knew they were working against harsh realities, according to the six employees familiar with the project. If it ever came to market, an Apple car would likely cost at least $100,000 and still generate razor-thin profit compared with smartphones and earbuds. It would also arrive years after Tesla had dominated the market."

I read it as the autonomous car market, not just the EV market.

"Despite having a vote of confidence from Apple’s chief executive, members of the team knew they were working against harsh realities, according to the six employees familiar with the project. If it ever came to market, an Apple car would likely cost at least $100,000 and still generate razor-thin profit compared with smartphones and earbuds. It would also arrive years after Tesla had dominated the market."
Am I supposed to feel more bullish after reading this? Cuz I've known this since 2020.

NBA players love to strut coming into the stadium. I'm sure more players will drive in one and I'm sure Charles and Shaq will show a picture of it on TNT.
I just can't wait for a few more years where a 6'8" player will be carried like a baby into the locker room by Optimus.
It just occurred to me... how would Optimus scale? In other words, ...surely there would be some market for different sizes... AND it would be the coolest thing imaginable... If they were to go on to make 1/3 size and 1/10th size (to work in tight spaces) -or smaller versions of Optimus... even more so if they made 2x and even way bigger versions of Optimus for bigger jobs, cleaning gutters and washing windows and perhaos roof construction jobs, not so much because it's greatly practical, but, on the ludicrously huge end of the spectrum, I absolutely think that someday Tesla MUST do this, simply because they can.

I'm seeing fleets of tiny little 4" tall Optimii strolling about under the strawberry plants, spot weeding, gathering remaining weed seeds, pruning, stabbing bugs with spears, and flagging down the strawberry picking machines to gather up the overlooked berries hidden under the foliage... Others spread eagle across tiny well pipes, working their way down for maintenance... Edit - drop an Optimus-Micro in my tool box, car trunk, closet, or kitchen junk drawer to find them neatly organized and wiped down the next morning...

What a great marketing opportunity it would be to install a working Optolossus of Rhodes astride the Greek Mandrákion harbor entrance.

...Anyhow, I suppose having said all this, perhaps I should see myself out for the day for now.

Last edited:
Here we go

As of Feb. 29. 2024, Tesla Supercharger network:
  • 27,000+ stalls for Teslas
  • 15,000+ for NACS
  • 500+ stalls for other EVs
500+ stalls is the gateway drug for the dangling carrot of 15,000 NACS. It will simultaneously attract more people to Tesla and suppress their appetite for non-Teslas before they're able to roll out NACS EVs in 2025.

1709218100912.png

s of Feb. 29. 2024, Tesla Supercharger network:
  • 15,000+ for NACS
500+ stalls is the gateway drug for the dangling carrot of 15,000 NACS. It will simultaneously attract more people to Tesla and suppress their appetite for non-Teslas before they're able to roll out NACS EVs in 2025.

With Membership, those SaaS-based revenues start coming in! Looking forward to seeing how much adoption Tesla gets on membership plans!

It just occurred to me... how would Optimus scale? In other words, ...surely there would be some market for different sizes... AND it would be the coolest thing imaginable... If they were to go on to make 1/3 size and 1/10th size (to work in tight spaces) -or smaller versions of Optimus... even more so if they made 2x and even way bigger versions of Optimus for bigger jobs, cleaning gutters and washing windows and perhaos roof construction jobs, not so much because it's greatly practical, but, on the ludicrously huge end of the spectrum, I absolutely think that someday Tesla MUST do this, simply because they can.

I'm seeing fleets of tiny little 4" tall Optimii strolling about under the strawberry plants, spot weeding, gathering remaining weed seeds, pruning, stabbing bugs with spears, and flagging down the strawberry picking machines to gather up the overlooked berries hidden under the foliage... Others spread eagle across tiny well pipes, working their way down for maintenance...

What a great marketing opportunity it would be to install a working Optolossus of Rhodes astride the Greek Mandrákion harbor entrance.

...Anyhow, I suppose having said all this, perhaps I should see myself out for the day for now.
Why stop there? Ever see the movie "Fantastic Voyage"?

With Membership, those SaaS-based revenues start coming in! Looking forward to seeing how much adoption Tesla gets on membership plans!
This program uses Ford's plug and charge program and does not require the Tesla app. I have seen no public information that Tesla gets any more money from this program than standard charging fees.

This program uses Ford's plug and charge program and does not require the Tesla app. I have seen no public information that Tesla gets any more money from this program than standard charging fees.

This is on the Tesla NACS website:

Screenshot 2024-02-29 at 7.29.52 AM.png

Attachments

• Screenshot 2024-02-29 at 7.29.19 AM.png
    Screenshot 2024-02-29 at 7.29.19 AM.png
    223.4 KB · Views: 12
This is on the Tesla NACS website:

View attachment 1023209
This is for anyone. Ford uses their Ford Pass App to find chargers, authorize, and pay.

We have no idea what their rates will be, but we do know they don't have a membership they have to sign up for. It's live already.

edit: Looks like it's 11 cents more per kWh comparing what people are showing in their Ford app to what I'm seeing.

1709220970720.png

Tesla looks to be going negative today based on current performance. We are having some weird times as days are green when everything else are negative. I wonder if it's just money from Tesla are going back and forth between the other mag 6.
Look more broadly please. All the tickers on my device all went red with TSLA. Indeed, all their day action looks identical.

• Informative
Reactions: wtlloyd
Here we go

As of Feb. 29. 2024, Tesla Supercharger network:
  • 15,000+ for NACS

View attachment 1023183

Can someone explain this:
  • 15,000+ for NACS
The 27,000 is the superset of Tesla Superchargers. The 15,000 are the subset that Ford or other non-Tesla cars can use. What makes the 15,000 available to other brands different from the other 12,000 that only Tesla cars can use? And then, what "other EVs" use 500 stalls? Are these the ones with the built-in magic dock?

Also, the MachE forum is pretty lit up this morning. Essentially the free adapter reservation website ended up suffering a DDOS equivalent attack. 🤣

RT

The 27,000 is the superset of Tesla Superchargers. The 15,000 are the subset that Ford or other non-Tesla cars can use. What makes the 15,000 available to other brands different from the other 12,000 that only Tesla cars can use? And then, what "other EVs" use 500 stalls? Are these the ones with the built-in magic dock?

Sounded like only V3 chargers had been NACS retrofit so that's likelly the 15k- while the extra 12 (making up 27k total) are the older ones that don't speak CCS and were not retrofit?

The 500 yeah likely the magic dock ones.

Sounded like only V3 chargers had been NACS retrofit so that's likelly the 15k- while the extra 12 (making up 27k total) are the older ones that don't speak CCS and were not retrofit?

The 500 yeah likely the magic dock ones.
That's my understanding as well. The Tesla membership for non-Teslas is for those 500 magic docks. From what I can remember, most manufacturers will use their own apps for payment and authorization.

Can someone explain this:
  • 15,000+ for NACS

Also, the MachE forum is pretty lit up this morning. Essentially the free adapter reservation website ended up suffering a DDOS equivalent attack. 🤣

RT
V2 not compatible. Don’t believe it’s expected to be either. Perfect for my 2017S