Welcome to Tesla Motors Club
Discuss Tesla's Model S, Model 3, Model X, Model Y, Cybertruck, Roadster and More.
Register

Tesla, TSLA & the Investment World: the Perpetual Investors' Roundtable

This site may earn commission on affiliate links.
I will shortly be posting this message on X.com and communicating with SEC Enforcement on their complaints website. Please take a look and send me a PM if you see any errors. I am posting so that you can all understand the primary force that is pushing TSLA down so severely this week. I'm okay with my name becoming publicly known.

@SEC_Enforcement @elonmusk

A flagrant stock manipulation of TSLA has been taking place this past week and it would be easy for the SEC to determine the perpetrator(s). Let me explain.

An unusual trading pattern has occurred with the purchase of huge quantities (over 200K contracts traded each day) on March 12 and 13, 2024, of far-in-the-money put options at the TSLA 220 and 230 strike prices. I assume this strategy is ongoing Mar 14 as well. Those puts are being purchased and then at least 90% of them sold each day. You can confirm the daily selling of these puts by checking the open interest in TSLA options each morning.

If the trader was interested in just making money, that trader would hold the put options as this big dip of TSLA continues. Instead of holding and profiting from those positions, however, the trader has been selling more than 90% of the puts by each day’s end. Such a strategy of buying the puts in the morning and slowly covering throughout the day forces the market makers to do tremendous TSLA selling each morning to delta hedge the puts they’re selling. That selling of TSLA by market makers is the primary reason why TSLA has been doing such deep and quick plunges on these days. The slow selling of the puts is balanced by stock selling as investors worry about TSLA’s trajectory. The net effect is a substantial downward push on the stock price.

The purchase of more than 100,000 far-in-of-the-money put contracts equates closely with the selling of 10 million shares each morning on days when total TSLA volume is between 80 and 100 million shares. Such downward pressure on the stock each morning will clearly push the stock substantially lower.

Thus, this trader is clearly manipulating the stock through these morning sessions of heavy put buying. The slow selling in the afternoon is to free up resources so that the same manipulation can be performed the following day (and the day after that too).

We investors in Tesla stock ask with urgency that you determine who is doing these manipulations, inform them of your scrutiny, and then prosecute. Judging by the resources the SEC is throwing at pursuing every possible charge against Elon Musk it is apparent that the SEC has the personnel available for investigating this clear stock manipulation. We TSLA investors ask that you do the right thing and stop these manipulations now.

I will now provide this complaint through your website as well, complete with contact information.
Sincerely,
Peter Forman
TSLA Investor

Now posted on X.com at:

Last edited:
I will shortly be posting this message on X.com and communicating with SEC Enforcement on their complaints website. Please take a look and send me a PM if you see any errors. I am posting so that you can all understand the primary force that is pushing TSLA down so severely this week. I'm okay with my name becoming publicly known.

@SEC_Enforcement @elonmusk

A flagrant stock manipulation of TSLA has been taking place this past week and it would be easy for the SEC to determine the perpetrator(s). Let me explain.

An unusual trading pattern has occurred with the purchase of huge quantities (over 200K contracts traded each day) on March 12 and 13, 2024, of far-in-the-money put options at the TSLA 220 and 230 strike prices. I assume this strategy is ongoing Mar 14 as well. Those puts are being purchased and then at least 90% of them sold each day. You can confirm the daily selling of these puts by checking the open interest in TSLA options each morning.

If the trader was interested in just making money, that trader would hold the put options as this big dip of TSLA continues. Instead of holding and profiting from those positions, however, the trader has been selling more than 90% of the puts by each day’s end. Such a strategy of buying the puts in the morning and slowly covering throughout the day forces the market makers to do tremendous TSLA selling each morning to delta hedge the puts they’re selling. That selling of TSLA by market makers is the primary reason why TSLA has been doing such deep and quick plunges on these days. The slow selling of the puts is balanced by stock selling as investors worry about TSLA’s trajectory. The net effect is a substantial downward push on the stock price.

The purchase of more than 100,000 far-in-of-the-money put contracts equates closely with the selling of 10 million shares each morning on days when total TSLA volume is between 80 and 100 million shares. Such downward pressure on the stock each morning will clearly push the stock substantially lower.

Thus, this trader is clearly manipulating the stock through these morning sessions of heavy put buying. The slow selling in the afternoon is to free up resources so that the same manipulation can be performed the following day (and the day after that too).

We investors in Tesla stock ask with urgency that you determine who is doing these manipulations, inform them of your scrutiny, and then prosecute. Judging by the resources the SEC is throwing at pursuing every possible charge against Elon Musk it is apparent that the SEC has the personnel available for investigating this clear stock manipulation. We TSLA investors ask that you do the right thing and stop these manipulations now.

I will now provide this complaint through your website as well, complete with contact information.
Sincerely,
Peter Forman
TSLA Investor
I'm curious, these are honest questions as I don't know much about high volume option trading...
1. Why would that be illegal if they are actually being bought and sold, not spoofed or whatnot?
2. How is it not trying to making money to buy a bunch of puts and then sell them later when the stock has gone down? They are DITM, so they should move very closely 1:1 with shares.
3. Isn't it common with option trading to highly leverage during the day and then close positions prior to market close each day?

Judging by the resources the SEC is throwing at pursuing every possible charge against Elon Musk it is apparent that the SEC has the personnel available for investigating this clear stock manipulation.
I think you should remove the language above. Telling the SEC you have an ax to grind with them might not be the best way to get action.

Don't be fooled. Don't let anyone tell you that Tesla is done for. Tesla hasn't even started yet. I drove into the next town today, was followed by a Highland M3 and had an MY in front of me. The MY turned left into the same supermarket I was going to, the M3 went straight. I went shopping for dinner. When I returned to the parking lot, the M3 was next to me and the driver smiled at me. He opened his door. A very young, very friendly man. He turned around in the street when I turned left, looked for my car in the parking lot, and waited patiently just to talk to me about his awesome M3 Highland, which he absolutely ADORES, and my awesome plaid.
He couldn't stop showing me things on his M3, like the ambient lighting, and how it can change colors. I knew the M3 Highland could do that. But that wasn't the point. The point was that he was endlessly enthusiastic about his car. He loves it. And for good reason: I looked at it and it's beautiful and very well built.

Don't pay attention to the noise.
Don't be deceived into thinking Tesla is finished.
Don't be fooled.

This is just the beginning.

PS: and if you don't believe me, Youtube in its endless wisdom just recommended this video to me:

Well said! I get fellow Tesla owners chatting me up too when we park near each other!

I doubt anyone here is stating "Tesla is done for", I believe the majority of posters here know what's really going on and how the stock being down isn't representative of the company at all.

The stock's extremely likely to moon a couple of years from now, the company is doing great. We are just in a lull of the growth story right now, it won't last more than two or three years at most.

• Informative
Reactions: aGreenGuy
Well said! I get fellow Tesla owners chatting me up too when we park near each other!

I doubt anyone here is stating "Tesla is done for", I believe the majority of posters here know what's really going on and how the stock being down isn't representative of the company at all.

The stock's extremely likely to moon a couple of years from now, the company is doing great. We are just in a lull of the growth story right now, it won't last more than two or three years at most.
Fsd subscription rate will take off way before that, and software gross margins are
At least 75% and recurring .

I use Dollar cost averaging to accumulate, no one knows when the bottom will be so better to buy in say monthly chunks that way you won't miss the boat if there is a surprise to the upside. I personally think it's headed down for a bit yet, but will be buying every month for the next 3-4 years anyway so don't really care, in fact the lower the better. Assuming of course you believe the long term story (which I 100% do)
yup been doing exactly this since early 2018 .. and overall up a lot ... there are a lot more red lots in my TSLA holdings today ... but they will eventually flip to green ... then nX over the longer term ... DCA is how you invest in a volatile company like Tesla as you suggest you cannot time it with any real accuracy ...

the narratives spewed on TMC and in MSM are just that made up narratives .. by many folks with their own selfish agendas... do your homework on the company and then DCA shares as you have available cash ....and don't do this with money you need to live (bold is advice)

I'm curious, these are honest questions as I don't know much about high volume option trading...
1. Why would that be illegal if they are actually being bought and sold, not spoofed or whatnot?
2. How is it not trying to making money to buy a bunch of puts and then sell them later when the stock has gone down? They are DITM, so they should move very closely 1:1 with shares.
3. Isn't it common with option trading to highly leverage during the day and then close positions prior to market close each day?
1) When the method of buying or selling is clearly meant to move the stock price, moreso than to profit from the trade, the transaction is indeed a manipulation.
2) When the puts are sold or exercised each day, there is a corresponding upward push to the stock price. A greater pushdown of the stock price can be achieved by holding the puts to Friday's expiration and then exercising (using call terminology here) at the end of the Friday trading session. A 230 put allows the holder to sell 100 shares to the put seller at $230 apiece. That's a far better return than disposing of the puts each day as the stock continues to descend in price during subsequent trading periods.
3) Short sellers who are primarily focused on affecting stock price as well as day traders will typically cover by day's end to minimize the risk of the stock gapping up the next day. These put purchases are so enormous in number that the stock is almost guaranteed to go down when they turn on the bottomless put buying at day's open. In the cases you cite, the market is primarily moving itself. In the case of these enormous put purchases, those purchases themselves move the market.

Last edited:
Serious question here…what data do we have suggest light deliveries in Q1? Pricing seems to be holding up, factory output appears strong (the Giga Berlin disruption was brief), exports appear strong (deliveries to new countries)…. I’m naturally optimistic, but I’m trying to be realistic and understand all the negativity around Q1 delivery estimates.

Serious question here…what data do we have suggest light deliveries in Q1? Pricing seems to be holding up, factory output appears strong (the Giga Berlin disruption was brief), exports appear strong (deliveries to new countries)…. I’m naturally optimistic, but I’m trying to be realistic and understand all the negativity around Q1 delivery estimates.

Here is one - select Euro countries are behind 2023Q4 but ahead of 2023Q1:

Electric Vehicle registrations in Europe: 15 countries, majority of BEV market

Serious question here…what data do we have suggest light deliveries in Q1?

Actual vehicle registrations and other export data. Troy tracks these pretty closely in a bunch of countries.

And after a bunch of folks met with Tesla IR at Austin last week quite a few others suddenly lowered their Q1 estimates in line with Troys as well (Gary Black, Morgan Stanley, Evercore, etc).

Actual vehicle registrations and other export data. Troy tracks these pretty closely in a bunch of countries.

And after a bunch of folks met with Tesla IR at Austin last week quite a few others suddenly lowered their Q1 estimates in line with Troys as well (Gary Black, Morgan Stanley, Evercore, etc).

What does it have to do with Tesla? Troy? Black? Morgan Stanley? They met and said 'no good'?
Time to sell, I guess.

1) When the method of buying or selling is clearly meant to move the stock price, moreso than to profit from the trade, the transaction is indeed a manipulation.
2) When the puts are sold or exercised each day, there is a corresponding upward push to the stock price. A greater pushdown of the stock price can be achieved by holding the puts to Friday's expiration and then exercising (using call terminology here) at the end of the Friday trading session. A 230 put allows the holder to sell 100 shares to the put seller at $230 apiece. That's a far better return than disposing of the puts each day as the stock continues to descend in price during subsequent trading periods.
3) Short sellers who are primarily focused on affecting stock price as well as day traders will typically cover by day's end to minimize the risk of the stock gapping up the next day. These put purchases are so enormous in number that the stock is almost guaranteed to go down when they turn on the bottomless put buying at day's open. In the cases you cite, the market is primarily moving itself. In the case of these enormous put purchases, those purchases themselves move the market.

Does the inverse not also occur with large call volumes?

Just assume 383,000 and you’ll be happy with the results.