Welcome to Tesla Motors Club
Discuss Tesla's Model S, Model 3, Model X, Model Y, Cybertruck, Roadster and More.
Register

Tesla, TSLA & the Investment World: the Perpetual Investors' Roundtable

This site may earn commission on affiliate links.
What does it have to do with Tesla? Troy? Black? Morgan Stanley? They met and said 'no good'?
Time to sell, I guess.
What happened was they met and said "Hey Tesla, the line in the sand is 4xx,xxxx, are you confident it will be over that?"
Tesla IR responded with "It could be over or under"

And they went on their way.

• Helpful
Reactions: Zero CO2 and GOVA
Serious question here…what data do we have suggest light deliveries in Q1? Pricing seems to be holding up, factory output appears strong (the Giga Berlin disruption was brief), exports appear strong (deliveries to new countries)…. I’m naturally optimistic, but I’m trying to be realistic and understand all the negativity around Q1 delivery estimates.

Tesla Carriers Map Per the spreadsheet link at the bottom( Tesla Carriers) , just 14 ships this quarter vs like 40 in previous ..

Do note: I am not following shipping as I used to in the past and just checked this today morning due to all the noise about bad Q1 numbers. So not sure if this is fully up to date etc.

Just venting my feelings a bit....This latest downturn is frustrating. I had deployed an irresponsible amount of cash in 2022, much of which was ill timed and remains red. I've continued to buy in 2023, and now 2024, but at reduced magnitude. I've finally recovered my cash position and luckily didn't suffer from my indiscretion.

Now I'm watching my sidelined cash earn genuine interest that is surprisingly significant (I know- short term thinking). I want to deploy more cash into TSLA (admittedly I picked up some more last week, which is already red 🥲), but the last 2 years with TSLA have been so bad, combined with the likelihood of sideways trading for a while, it's harder than ever for me to buy more!

Buying TSLA was so much easier and more fun when it was rewarded with appreciation fairly soon after purchase. This current mode is much much harder...trading real returns for red stock that promises to do better... Maybe if it drops much lower I won't be able to control myself 🤷‍♂️

Off topic pointer, about the subject of Pi Day, today as well marking the founding of SpaceX.

I was going to post my somewhat geeky missive about the conjunction of Tesla/Musk's "March of Nines"
for FSD, physicist Richard Feynman, and the number pi, illustrated by use of a single line of Unix code on this
forum. But then, due to the sensitivity of off-topic posts here, I thought better of it. Anyway, it's post #89
over at TMC forum:

SpaceX: subthread "SpaceX Starship - IFT-3 - Starbase TX - Launch Thread and Post Launch Discussion"​

Just venting my feelings a bit....This latest downturn is frustrating. I had deployed an irresponsible amount of cash in 2022, much of which was ill timed and remains red. I've continued to buy in 2023, and now 2024, but at reduced magnitude. I've finally recovered my cash position and luckily didn't suffer from my indiscretion.

Now I'm watching my sidelined cash earn genuine interest that is surprisingly significant (I know- short term thinking). I want to deploy more cash into TSLA (admittedly I picked up some more last week, which is already red 🥲), but the last 2 years with TSLA have been so bad, combined with the likelihood of sideways trading for a while, it's harder than ever for me to buy more!

Buying TSLA was so much easier and more fun when it was rewarded with appreciation fairly soon after purchase. This current mode is much much harder...trading real returns for red stock that promises to do better... Maybe if it drops much lower I won't be able to control myself 🤷‍♂️
I am sure many echo your feelings. Stay strong and it will turn eventually, there is too much in the works and future for it to be this cheap. Eventually, WS and the short thinkers will come around to see the money printer $TSLA is and we will all be rewarded handsomely.

NFA, JMHO of course.

What happened was they met and said "Hey Tesla, the line in the sand is 4xx,xxxx, are you confident it will be over that?"
Tesla IR responded with "It could be over or under"

And they went on their way.
This sounds like the unfortunate but most likely cause. The stock has been cascading ever since. Not sure what else it could be.

Very surprised at how quickly the broader narrative around EVs has happened… it’s not like anyone enjoys going to the gas station, having maintenance and poor acceleration…. Right?

Here is one - select Euro countries are behind 2023Q4 but ahead of 2023Q1:

Electric Vehicle registrations in Europe: 15 countries, majority of BEV market

That chart shows some bad news. We are ahead of 2023Q1, but that quarter actually finished very strong, even ahead of 2023Q4. The reason appears to be because Tesla has flattened the end of quarter wave.

With the Berlin shutdown and the flattened wave, it looks like Euro sales could be the lowest since 2022.

Am I disappointed that I'm down to only 774% gain?
Not really, were I wanting to sell now i suppose I'd wish for a higher price, but I really don't mind paying less tax on sale either.
Considering all the gratuitous attacks I will not be surprised were prices to drop more.
Actually, Walton County is the most expensive real estate in Florida
The residents of Indian Creek Island, essentially all of them, would disagree with that assertion. West Palm Beach could be close. OtOH, those are not counties either. Factually my 774% si my today accumulated gains on TSLA. None of my real property gains, attractive as some have been, came quite to that level.

Those of us who've remained steady HODL in TSLA for a decade or more are all at least that high. Patience!

Screenshot 2024-03-14 at 21.45.34.png

🤣 From the article, "The paper, yet to be peer-reviewed...." FUD avalanche lately against Musk has picked up pace. The soon to be dead industries are at stage 2 of the grief process, Anger.

That chart shows some bad news. We are ahead of 2023Q1, but that quarter actually finished very strong, even ahead of 2023Q4. The reason appears to be because Tesla has flattened the end of quarter wave.

With the Berlin shutdown and the flattened wave, it looks like Euro sales could be the lowest since 2022.

Yeah, charts on this were posted a week or two ago.... Europe used to be like 65ish percent of deliveries were in Month 3 of each quarter.... but since mid-2023 and the wave flattening that hasn't been true-- and they're more like only 35ish percent of deliveries come in Month 3... which unless they suddenly went back to FULL WAVE for no reason and without anyone noticing, Month 3 Q1 2024 is going to be quite a bit lower than Month 3 Q1 2023 (when the wave was still happening) and overall Q1 will be lower YoY as well in Europe.

Data also seems to show some significant issue with ramping Highland out of Fremont for some reason which isn't great for Q1 US numbers either.... between that and how bad/slow the S/X refresh went time-wise I'm not sure what's going on over there... Highland switchover in China seemed butter smooth.

Serious question here…what data do we have suggest light deliveries in Q1? Pricing seems to be holding up, factory output appears strong (the Giga Berlin disruption was brief), exports appear strong (deliveries to new countries)…. I’m naturally optimistic, but I’m trying to be realistic and understand all the negativity around Q1 delivery estimates.
Model Y price has gone up $500 this quarter, and obviously avg selling price for Model 3 is higher too.

I don’t really see the disaster some are expecting.

Model Y price has gone up $500 this quarter, and obviously avg selling price for Model 3 is higher too.

Define disaster?

Would you consider Q1 2024 deliveries within 1-2% of Q1 2023 deliveries a disaster? Because that's what the current data is tracking toward as of a few days ago.

I think "disaster" would be overstating the case quite a bit-- but it's certainly not good- esp. for the folks who still want to believe >2M total deliveries for the year.

Am I disappointed that I'm down to only 774% gain?
Not really, were I wanting to sell now i suppose I'd wish for a higher price, but I really don't mind paying less tax on sale either.
Considering all the gratuitous attacks I will not be surprised were prices to drop more.

The residents of Indian Creek Island, essentially all of them, would disagree with that assertion. West Palm Beach could be close. OtOH, those are not counties either. Factually my 774% si my today accumulated gains on TSLA. None of my real property gains, attractive as some have been, came quite to that level.

Those of us who've remained steady HODL in TSLA for a decade or more are all at least that high. Patience!
You're right. I realized after I clicked post. But Walton County has some of the highest prices ($2k per sq ft +) in Florida, and I believe it's top 1 or 2 county for Bed Tax collections (too lazy to look up)

Reactions: unk45
I will shortly be posting this message on X.com and communicating with SEC Enforcement on their complaints website. Please take a look and send me a PM if you see any errors. I am posting so that you can all understand the primary force that is pushing TSLA down so severely this week. I'm okay with my name becoming publicly known.

@SEC_Enforcement @elonmusk

A flagrant stock manipulation of TSLA has been taking place this past week and it would be easy for the SEC to determine the perpetrator(s). Let me explain.

An unusual trading pattern has occurred with the purchase of huge quantities (over 200K contracts traded each day) on March 12 and 13, 2024, of far-in-the-money put options at the TSLA 220 and 230 strike prices. I assume this strategy is ongoing Mar 14 as well. Those puts are being purchased and then at least 90% of them sold each day. You can confirm the daily selling of these puts by checking the open interest in TSLA options each morning.

If the trader was interested in just making money, that trader would hold the put options as this big dip of TSLA continues. Instead of holding and profiting from those positions, however, the trader has been selling more than 90% of the puts by each day’s end. Such a strategy of buying the puts in the morning and slowly covering throughout the day forces the market makers to do tremendous TSLA selling each morning to delta hedge the puts they’re selling. That selling of TSLA by market makers is the primary reason why TSLA has been doing such deep and quick plunges on these days. The slow selling of the puts is balanced by stock selling as investors worry about TSLA’s trajectory. The net effect is a substantial downward push on the stock price.

The purchase of more than 100,000 far-in-of-the-money put contracts equates closely with the selling of 10 million shares each morning on days when total TSLA volume is between 80 and 100 million shares. Such downward pressure on the stock each morning will clearly push the stock substantially lower.

Thus, this trader is clearly manipulating the stock through these morning sessions of heavy put buying. The slow selling in the afternoon is to free up resources so that the same manipulation can be performed the following day (and the day after that too).

We investors in Tesla stock ask with urgency that you determine who is doing these manipulations, inform them of your scrutiny, and then prosecute. Judging by the resources the SEC is throwing at pursuing every possible charge against Elon Musk it is apparent that the SEC has the personnel available for investigating this clear stock manipulation. We TSLA investors ask that you do the right thing and stop these manipulations now.

I will now provide this complaint through your website as well, complete with contact information.
Sincerely,
Peter Forman
TSLA Investor

Now posted on X.com at:

This is ridiculous. So they don't want to hold their puts over night automatically means it's nefarious?

I like how you mention the delta-hedging that occurs when they buy the puts, but you fail to mention that delta-hedging happens in the opposite direction when they buy-to-close the puts.

Obviously, someone shorting the stock causes selling pressure. If there was someone ready to swoop in and buy those shares at those prices, it wouldn't move so much.

But that didn't happen because not many investors want to buy at this price given the likely downturn in earnings and the loss of the "growth" in a growth stock.

BTW, did you report Musk to the SEC when he callously dumped shares onto the market in December 2022?

NVDA and SMCI are actually relatively cheap relative to the current earnings and earnings growth. The question comes down to how much do you believe they will continue to grow before competition comes and compresses margins. NVDA seems highly confident in their demand over the rest of the year, I think it will hit near $1000 before it may come down (if competition comes soon).

Mentioning Dojo is a joke. There is no volume production of Dojo yet, who knows when that will happen. Based on Musk's latest comments, it doesn't sound that bullish on it this year. It will have no effect on NVDA.

Meanwhile TSLA is stuck in the doldrums. No earnings growth, and no real big boosts for earnings this year unless Cybertruck can ramp to 5,000 a week. I sold all my calls when it came back up to near $200 on Wednesday and luckily bought an actually winning stock - NVDA.

I'll buy back into TSLA if/when it goes down to $150.

Selling my calls at $200 was a great decision. Stock is getting close to my $150 target though sentiment is turning worse than I expected. Apparently this meeting with the Tesla IR was a disaster.

The disaster is that Q1 deliveries are going to be flat YoY and the ASP is going to be lower than a year ago. Even with COGs reductions, the results is going to be YoY earnings decline, yet again.

The exact opposite of what you would expect for a company valued with a huge growth multiple.

If you assign a totally possible PE ratio of 30 to TSLA, the share price would be $100.

I will shortly be posting this message on X.com and communicating with SEC Enforcement on their complaints website. Please take a look and send me a PM if you see any errors. I am posting so that you can all understand the primary force that is pushing TSLA down so severely this week. I'm okay with my name becoming publicly known.

@SEC_Enforcement @elonmusk

A flagrant stock manipulation of TSLA has been taking place this past week and it would be easy for the SEC to determine the perpetrator(s). Let me explain.

An unusual trading pattern has occurred with the purchase of huge quantities (over 200K contracts traded each day) on March 12 and 13, 2024, of far-in-the-money put options at the TSLA 220 and 230 strike prices. I assume this strategy is ongoing Mar 14 as well. Those puts are being purchased and then at least 90% of them sold each day. You can confirm the daily selling of these puts by checking the open interest in TSLA options each morning.

If the trader was interested in just making money, that trader would hold the put options as this big dip of TSLA continues. Instead of holding and profiting from those positions, however, the trader has been selling more than 90% of the puts by each day’s end. Such a strategy of buying the puts in the morning and slowly covering throughout the day forces the market makers to do tremendous TSLA selling each morning to delta hedge the puts they’re selling. That selling of TSLA by market makers is the primary reason why TSLA has been doing such deep and quick plunges on these days. The slow selling of the puts is balanced by stock selling as investors worry about TSLA’s trajectory. The net effect is a substantial downward push on the stock price.

The purchase of more than 100,000 far-in-of-the-money put contracts equates closely with the selling of 10 million shares each morning on days when total TSLA volume is between 80 and 100 million shares. Such downward pressure on the stock each morning will clearly push the stock substantially lower.

Thus, this trader is clearly manipulating the stock through these morning sessions of heavy put buying. The slow selling in the afternoon is to free up resources so that the same manipulation can be performed the following day (and the day after that too).

We investors in Tesla stock ask with urgency that you determine who is doing these manipulations, inform them of your scrutiny, and then prosecute. Judging by the resources the SEC is throwing at pursuing every possible charge against Elon Musk it is apparent that the SEC has the personnel available for investigating this clear stock manipulation. We TSLA investors ask that you do the right thing and stop these manipulations now.

I will now provide this complaint through your website as well, complete with contact information.
Sincerely,
Peter Forman
TSLA Investor

Now posted on X.com at:
Could be multiple actors, not just “one trader”?

Reactions: UncaNed
Thanks for the info on deliveries. IDK, but it seems Tesla would cut prices if demand fell as much as some are thinking (~420k). As noted, Model Y prices have been fairly stable. I bought a Model Y in Q3 ‘23 (my fourth Tesla) and today’s prices are similar or perhaps a little higher than what I paid. Furthermore, inventory levels seem to be normal or even a little less than normal. No science here, just looking at zip codes.

Tesla took a lot of heat for dropping prices, but I don’t think they’ve changed. They are still profitable and cash flow positive, so they’d probably lower prices even more if sales weren’t keeping with production.

I guess we’ll know in about two weeks.

Cheers!

Something worth considering: I heard the everyday astronaut comment today that the cargo capacity of the orbital starship that launched today was larger than the international space station.
Something that took multiple superpowers decades to collaborate on, to get into space, is no larger than a single launch from a REUSABLE and production-line style built spacex rocket.

Spacex is achieving what entire governments of global superpowers could not, and its planning 6 launches this year...

Elon thinks big. Real big. I bet he finds debate as to whether the QoQ growth from Q4 to Q1 is good enough or not to be comical. Tesla is not positioning itself for 'good quarterly results', but for good decade-ahead results. With the cash pile they have, they have zero need to care what wall st thinks. They are the only car company on earth that can look at 2034, and back project what they need to do now to achieve insane results then.

Cybertruck / FSD / Optimus could all be phenomenal when they are fully ramped. And this is just the stuff we know about. Be patient :D.