Welcome to Tesla Motors Club
Discuss Tesla's Model S, Model 3, Model X, Model Y, Cybertruck, Roadster and More.
Register

Tesla, TSLA & the Investment World: the Perpetual Investors' Roundtable

This site may earn commission on affiliate links.

Looks like another boring tunnel is set in Ft Lauderdale, Boring Company won the contract

"The loop would represent Boring Co.’s first commercial undertaking outside of Nevada and poses significant challenges that would be new for its engineers, such as tunneling under water."

Newbie Dealership questions... How does the manufacturer cut margins on a Dealership? And are we talking the one's currently on lots today, or new one's coming to the Dealer?

And the reference to Ford in '22/23... Is this what you mean? It sounds different with Honda. I recall GM and Ford Dealers raising prices around Covid/parts shortage, and only now are prices starting to come down some. Then Ford slapped that ~1M fee on getting EV certified, and many took the plan - nearly 2,000 Dealers, (including all tiers offered). Lots of push back, but recently (Dec '23) Ford relaxed some as they wound down e-Lightening production.

I guess I don't know the auto business. (Not that I will need to know someday.)
Dealer's get the cars as a % of MSRP. Typically 85%-95% depending on the brand, model and options. This % has been creeping up for years.

Trust me it's a huge benefit to Tesla that they don't have to deal with this. It's a constant battle with the dealers over cost and margins.

When I worked for Ford we had warranty claims where a large % were just the dealers churning repairs. It is just simpler and easier for them to swap a bunch of parts, put in the warranty claim for all of them, than spend the time doing good diagnostics. Some of the electronics that were returned were 95% with no trouble found. Any effort to reduce this was met with dealers doing more unscrupulous things to collect $$ other ways.

We all know how they treat customers, from my experience they treat the manufacture's worse. With the politicians having locked out competition there is little the manufacturers can do.

I really doubt it. I actually think this time is very different. And I say that as a bitter observer of FSD non-progress since I first paid for it in 2015.
All the local-maxima that have resulted in stalled progress in the past have been due to algorithmic changes. They kept changing the way they approach the problem, and thought that if they really worked at it, the new code paradigm would get them there. There was the whole 'lets swap to using video not images' 4D change, the 'occupancy network' stuff, the 'lets use raw photon counts' stuff, etc etc.

But what Tesla are doing now is not like any of that. TBH they are doing now what I thought they were originally going to do from the start, which is a programmatically extremely simple approach: Train a MASSIVE neural network on huge amounts of data, and let it control the car.

This is totally different, because improvements to NN outputs are almost entirely based on the volume of quality data. Thats it. Not hundreds of C++ coders like me writing complex spaghetti code in the millions of lines, and hoping it all works. They still need SOME code in there, to control for things like obeying local laws that real-world drivers may ignore, but nothing like what was required before.

I was an FSD skeptic, converted to true believer with this version. And as an investor its trebly good because:
1) Its big data dependent, and nobody has even 1% of the data Tesla has, so cannot compete
2) Its big data dependent. Its not some source code you can steal. Even in china. You would need semi trucks full of disk drives to steal it.
3) Its scalable very fast, very easily, and very predictably.

I actually think we might be at the SLOW point of true FSD. The bit where they merge the NN stuff into the other codebase. From here on, expect a lot of updates, and them to improve *everything* a little bit every time. Based purely on adding more video data from detected edge cases. Things could get scarily good, scarily fast.

also after having paid for and using whatever version they had for the last five years I will say that a few days of use I think 12.3 is very very advanced.

For the last year I really only used FSD on the highway, and it was great. I've been using 12.3 for more point to point and it is a big improvement. Even the highway driving is way better.

Now extrapolate that to optimus.

I believe we are in for a surprise ....soon.

Whenever it will be it will definitely be a surprise. Elon made it clear last ER that they’re going to stop being so transparent about the secret sauce. I believe he was referring to Figure, but that’s just my opinion. Especially with the bot, since there is less of a head start compared to EVs, it behooves them to take a quieter approach (despite the massive interest in progress) and that was clearly noted.

Newbie Dealership questions... How does the manufacturer cut margins on a Dealership? And are we talking the one's currently on lots today, or new one's coming to the Dealer?
Presumably, there is a maximum price people will pay for a Honda, if it goes above that, people will switch brands, so raising the cost to the dealer, in effect lowers the dealer's profit margin. I'd assume new Hondas going forward because the ones on the lot already have a set price.

Reactions: SOULPEDL
Dealer's get the cars as a % of MSRP. Typically 85%-95% depending on the brand, model and options. This % has been creeping up for years.

Trust me it's a huge benefit to Tesla that they don't have to deal with this. It's a constant battle with the dealers over cost and margins.

When I worked for Ford we had warranty claims where a large % were just the dealers churning repairs. It is just simpler and easier for them to swap a bunch of parts, put in the warranty claim for all of them, than spend the time doing good diagnostics. Some of the electronics that were returned were 95% with no trouble found. Any effort to reduce this was met with dealers doing more unscrupulous things to collect $$ other ways.

We all know how they treat customers, from my experience they treat the manufacture's worse. With the politicians having locked out competition there is little the manufacturers can do.
Thanks for the info! Some of that happens in repair world. (I kept a spare 60's starter for years. Turns out it wasn't the starter... it was the engine ground wire. Hey... got some dash lights too, of course on the day I sold it. 😢)

OK, wait... so they found 95% of the Ford (electronic) returned parts were still good... shotgun repairs obviously. Wow, that's really high! So where did the used good parts go then, back to Service? (I recall the day Intel decided to only do board swaps internally. Suddenly my Maint Classes were dumbed down, almost pointless, before handing them off to the supplier to fully own while we all got dumber.)

Clearly something similar happened in Auto. I bet their classes got shorter too, but I would have thought their famous $64,000 handheld meters would do more. And that price... probably was gouging from Mfg. I think I'm catching on.

Is MSRP set once they take receipt of the vehicle from the manufacturer? Or can they change it for dealer inventory as well? Ouch, it would have to (edit: apply to all inventory as well) right?

• Informative
Reactions: jerry33

Looks like another boring tunnel is set in Ft Lauderdale, Boring Company won the contract

"The loop would represent Boring Co.’s first commercial undertaking outside of Nevada and poses significant challenges that would be new for its engineers, such as tunneling under water."
That was an article from 2021 and as far as I am aware, nothing happened after that.

Seems like it was a large amount of compute coming online from various sources. Imo this is what Tesla are doing well, being agile. When everyone struggles to get nVidia chips, they have already diversified to alternate suppliers, doing it inhouse and getting things up and running fast. And they are not afraid to make the billion dollar investment into compute. Meanwhile where is Toyota, VW etc with this? Have we heard anything?
I view it as Tesla still a bit behind the 8-ball. Several others each are spending tens of billions of dollars a year on AI compute.

OK, wait... so they found 95% of the Ford (electronic) returned parts were still good... shotgun repairs obviously. Wow, that's really high! So where did the used good parts go then, back to Service? (I recall the day Intel decided to only do board swaps internally. Suddenly my Maint Classes were dumbed down, almost pointless, before handing them off to the supplier to fully own while we all got dumber.)
Some parts did have a "remanufacture" stream and would get reused. But this usually has a high cost as you need to recertify and test the parts and they cannot be used on all types of repairs. The whole point is the dealers would make sure they maximized profit through whatever means possible. It was not about the customer or cost effective repairs.
Is MSRP set once they take receipt of the vehicle from the manufacturer? Or can they change it for dealer inventory as well? Ouch, it would have to (edit: apply to all inventory as well) right?
There are lots of moving parts here. Rebates for higher sales levels, incentives for slow selling models, financing "plans", etc.

The contractual starting point is the % of MSRP, this is what the dealer can buy the car. Most manufactures only change MSRP one time per year, this is the price the retail customer sees.

After that there are incentives even after the car is delivered. These are passed on to the dealership with rebates/incentives "plans" when the car is sold. These typically are updated 1x per month depending on how well a given model is selling.

I view it as Tesla still a bit behind the 8-ball. Several others each are spending tens of billions of dollars a year on AI compute.
Who's 8-ball, and for what purpose: Language? Movies? Wrong Answers? Weather? Just In Case?

Tesla did their homework in collecting QUALITY driving data and refining methods, and it started way before we even had it, call it a good decade.

I do not believe there's a catch-up to Tesla path for anyone. Tesla's not going to give up their lead, ever.

From The Telegraph
1711563314690.png

Volvo has produced its last ever diesel car, ending an era spanning 45 years.

The Swedish company’s final diesel-engine vehicle, an XC90 SUV, rolled off the production line on Tuesday at its plant near Gothenburg.

Under Geely’s ownership, Volvo has unveiled a new lineup of electric vehicles (EVs) – including the XC90’s replacement, the EX90. Volvo is pursuing plans to go all-electric by 2030.

The statement said: “Today, most of our sales on the Continent are electrified cars."

“While our future indeed is fully electric, our mixed portfolio includes some excellent plug-in hybrid and mild-hybrid models, which will act as a perfect bridge towards that future.”

If he's watching, he'd like seeing this...

View attachment 1032678

I think we are 2 more miracles away from 200! (Giving FSD to Canadians was today's miracle).
Tight race it is.

If you've done six impossible things this morning, why not round it off with breakfast at Milliways, the Restaurant at the end of the Universe?
🚀🐄🤖

Just sayin'