Welcome to Tesla Motors Club
Discuss Tesla's Model S, Model 3, Model X, Model Y, Cybertruck, Roadster and More.
Register

Tesla, TSLA & the Investment World: the Perpetual Investors' Roundtable

This site may earn commission on affiliate links.

"Tesla Energy's customers can now manage and monitor the power status of their homes through SmartThings Energy and Samsung devices in addition to the Tesla app, ensuring more access and connectivity," said Chanwoo Park, Samsung EVP and Head of IoT Development Team of Device Platform Center. "This new collaboration is a key milestone for Samsung Electronics in making our solution more widely available beyond home appliances."

By integrating Tesla and Samsung products, users will be able to more adequately prepare for power disruptions thanks to Tesla's Storm Watch feature. SmartThings Energy will also help users monitor their energy use and energy production of their Tesla products.

"At Tesla, we are excited to add capability to our products to interact with other intelligent devices and software in customers' homes," said Tesla's Drew Baglino. "We recently published FleetAPI, allowing developers to interact with Powerwall, Solar and Wall Connector in addition to our vehicles. … Customers will be able to view the status of their grid connectivity across multiple devices and intelligently control home loads to extend their Powerwall energy when off grid.

The SmartThings-Tesla union is targeting a launch in the second quarter of this year."

"Tesla Energy's customers can now manage and monitor the power status of their homes through SmartThings Energy and Samsung devices in addition to the Tesla app, ensuring more access and connectivity," said Chanwoo Park, Samsung EVP and Head of IoT Development Team of Device Platform Center. "This new collaboration is a key milestone for Samsung Electronics in making our solution more widely available beyond home appliances."

By integrating Tesla and Samsung products, users will be able to more adequately prepare for power disruptions thanks to Tesla's Storm Watch feature. SmartThings Energy will also help users monitor their energy use and energy production of their Tesla products.

"At Tesla, we are excited to add capability to our products to interact with other intelligent devices and software in customers' homes," said Tesla's Drew Baglino. "We recently published FleetAPI, allowing developers to interact with Powerwall, Solar and Wall Connector in addition to our vehicles. … Customers will be able to view the status of their grid connectivity across multiple devices and intelligently control home loads to extend their Powerwall energy when off grid.

The SmartThings-Tesla union is targeting a launch in the second quarter of this year."
I have one heat pump that uses Samsung SmartThings app. Best thing I can say about it is they don't charge for it.

Perhaps, however, the OP didn’t state when the destination was initiated, just when the route was started. A lot of variables at play, and little info supplied to evaluate the event.

I haven’t followed the technical aspects of the maps Tesla uses for a few years now, so my memory may be missing something, but I recall there is very detailed info on road “segments” including but not limited to road speed per segment as well as other info. Without access to this particular section of road map data to analyze, it’s possible that the exact position the OP initiated FSD may have been affected, at that exact point of the road, such that FSD was confused and did what it did. That’s why I suggested it should have been activated much earlier, and then if it did what it did it should be termed “bad, really bad.”

Regardless of how detailed a map may be, FSD must always assume it may be out of date with regards to safely identifying drivable space and applying the rules of the road. For FSD to fail to recognize a roundabout and therefore not determine the safe driving direction of lane(s) within it is indeed very bad. In the same way that enabling FSD within a few feet of the end of a freeway off ramp doesn't excuse it from trying to enter it from a surface street,

Last edited:
Regardless of how detailed a map may be, FSD must always assume it may be out of date with regards to safely identifying drivable space and applying the rules of the road. For FSD to fail to recognize a roundabout and there for not determine the safe driving direction of lane(s) within it is indeed very bad. In the same way that enabling FSD within a few feet of the end of a freeway off ramp doesn't excuse it from trying to enter it from a surface street,
Agreed. Just did a street level view of the circle, and there’s no way FSD should have entered the BP lot without going around the circle. There’s a one way sign clearly visible.

Another reason to order your Cybertruck now—at least it was for me—is, as we sleep walk our way to WW III (as Elon put it), the Defense Production Act.

That Act gives the US President broad authority over manufacturers. Biden and Trump both invoked it during COVID. It would allow the President to require Tesla to prioritize all CT production to fulfill Defense requirements.

I’d expect the military is salivating over Cybertrucks—silent, already-a-little-bulletproof, low-heat-signature, not-dependent-on-oil, capacious, probably-stealth-tech-claddable, autonomous—which are bound to be useful, if only for notoriously and lethally vulnerable supply chain routes.

Just saying, if you have the opportunity to buy and let it pass you by, don’t expect it to come around again anytime soon.

Anticipating the "If WW III => you won’t need it" comments, I like my chances with the Cybertruck better than with a few more bucks in the bank.

TSLA shareholders will make bank tho.

Last edited:
Another reason to order your Cybertruck now—at least it was for me—is, as we sleep walk our way to WW III (as Elon put it), the Defense Production Act.

That Act gives the US President broad authority over manufacturers. Biden and Trump both invoked it during COVID. It would allow the President to require Tesla to prioritize all CT production to fulfill Defense requirements.

I’d expect the military is salivating over Cybertrucks—silent, already-a-little-bulletproof, low-heat-signature, not-dependent-on-oil, capacious, probably-stealth-tech-claddable, autonomous—which are bound to be useful, if only for notoriously and lethally vulnerable supply chain routes.

Just saying, if you have the opportunity to buy and let it pass you by, don’t expect it to come around again anytime soon.

Anticipating the "If WW III => you won’t need it" comments, I’d rather take my chances with the Cybertruck than with a few more bucks in the bank.

Without a lot of reworking, the Cybertruck will not work for the military. It's only bulletproof for subsonic rounds and the glass is not even that. Sure, it's better than a regular truck, but won't stand up to military grade weapons.

Without a lot of reworking, the Cybertruck will not work for the military. It's only bulletproof for subsonic rounds and the glass is not even that. Sure, it's better than a regular truck, but won't stand up to military grade weapons.
The Cybertruck is $80,000. Minimum price for any basic MIC vehicle is probably $500,000

800 mile trip over the weekend. One way on 12.3.3 and back on 12.3.4

Now, having FSD in the city which I had never been was amazing. City FSD got a big thumbs up.

Highway - this was very strange in both versions. One phantom braking with M&Ms all over the floor bad. Merge/end of line signage completely ignored. Sudden jumps when changing lanes. Hugging to the edges of the road. When passing big rigs the car kept extra distance from them but it did not have to.

Highway is still so-so, worse than city I must admit.
I will still keep my shirt on for now.

The Cybertruck is $80,000. Minimum price for any basic MIC vehicle is probably $500,000
Aside from cost, the main advantages are speed, stealth and off road ability.

It isn't possible for any vehicle to out run a drone, not even a Model S Plaid, or an F1 race car. But more speed available is always better when moving in and out of war zones.

I think the Military should ask Tesla / SpaceX to design a very safe/fast field ambulance for evacuations of wounded troops. And also possibly faster transport trucks.

Speeding up evacuations, logistics, and in some cases retreats, is an advantage.

Reactions: capster

Anticipating the "If WW III => you won’t need it" comments, I like my chances with the Cybertruck better than with a few more bucks in the bank.

Maybe time to take a break from the internet.

Aside from cost, the main advantages are speed, stealth and off road ability.

It isn't possible for any vehicle to out run a drone, not even a Model S Plaid, or an F1 race car. But more speed available is always better when moving in and out of war zones.

I think the Military should ask Tesla / SpaceX to design a very safe/fast field ambulance for evacuations of wounded troops. And also possibly faster transport trucks.

Speeding up evacuations, logistics, and in some cases retreats, is an advantage.
Forward Observing.

Oh for the days when a new jeep cost $900 ~ 1970 +/-.

Now, unless I missed something. Are Superchargers mobile? Recharging is paramount! My/Europe’s first ever fossil fuel non-gravity tanker was clocked over 90 miles per hour before I landed ~ my head was asked for on a splintered riddled board. Thankfully it was not under my command at that point in time. Unless or until recharging can occur on the move (fast) ~ hopefully forward, electric vehicles are a no go.

Off the shelf vehicles rarely meet military requirements. As a new lieutenant, my off the shelf command pickup (1977~’83) had rotor cap issues. I attempted to redesign it but was ignored as combat ready new vehicle was in the pipe line ~ HUMMV.

My/Europe’s first GPS’s required three satellites in the area or they were just advanced technology looking to happen. 1983

Cheers
MajorBS49 (call sign)

I suggest you look up videos of what IEDs did to MRAPs in Iraq or what drones are doing to tanks in Ukraine. The cybertruck is a civilian vehicle. It wouldn’t last two seconds on the battlefield

I suggest you look up videos of what IEDs did to MRAPs in Iraq or what drones are doing to tanks in Ukraine. The cybertruck is a civilian vehicle. It wouldn’t last two seconds on the battlefield

You know guys, I evaluated a lot of technology for quite a while professionally and one thing I learned was to always mentally preface naysayers remarks with "I can’t imagine how that would work" for whatever their reasons or however they define their use cases.

Recall all the comments about how Starlink wouldn’t work in Tesla cars? Now you’ll see pictures of functioning terminals on CT dashboards. Sure, there are limitations but some mobile use cases work already.

Seriously, use your imaginations—I’m not going to do it for you here.

Meh. That doesn’t change Q1 results, nor does it change LONG TERM INVESTING. It’s likely not even going to affect Q2. So, it’s a nothing burger. Next catastrophe you or your buddy want to warn us about?
No one said anything about a Catastrophe, Just stating a fact when others thought this was more fake news... but you keep commenting and trying to change the narrative...after awhile, you become noise!

No one said anything about a Catastrophe, Just stating a fact when others thought this was more fake news... but you keep commenting and trying to change the narrative...after awhile, you become noise!
Uh, huh. Fake news, real news, the point stands - it’s meh news either way and doesn’t affect long term investing.

I think the point is this kind of thing happens all the time with all manufacturers especially with newer products as they scale up. Difference is when it's Tesla it's all over the news as if it spells doom for the company when it's business as usual.