Welcome to Tesla Motors Club
Discuss Tesla's Model S, Model 3, Model X, Model Y, Cybertruck, Roadster and More.
Register

Tesla, TSLA & the Investment World: the Perpetual Investors' Roundtable

This site may earn commission on affiliate links.
Nearly all the foundation of my opinion is based on that legislation from last year. Note the judges are appointed for only two years and are 100% political appointees every time. That certainly will keep them 'in line'. Would you have your business depend on those courts?
Joe is a friend of Elon and he and others helped to create the new business court in Texas. I still believe we need more details. I don't know if the board of Tesla will provide it.

There has been a lot of reporting about how much China demand has softened (or completely collapsed depending on the source), and no doubt recent insured vehicle reported numbers have been less than ideal, particularly from an investor standpoint. I've seen so many declare that there is no demand, customers want more luxury, they don't see Tesla as premium, etc. But I've not actually seen any data that points to a consumer centric reasoning for the decline, just a bunch of broad platitudes.

As it so happens, I just spent the last two weeks in mainland China (Guangdong) as well as Hong Kong and it was amazing to see the amount of Tesla's driving around. Many had lots of customized wraps and modifications that created a lot of visual variation and creativity. Generally speaking, in China/Hong Kong you could lump all vehicles into three buckets: Chinese brands, German brands, and Tesla. I was looking forward to seeing some of the Chinese brand EVs in person, but Xpeng, Nio, and Wuling were few and far between. BYD was most prominent of any brand aside from Tesla, but not from a BEV standpoint. Many were older cars with the full "build your dreams" spelled out on the trunk, which just felt quite lame. Across all other new vehicles I observed, it's easy to see the design influence that Tesla has had across the market.

While taking an Uber in Hong Kong, my coworkers and I got to experience a new Model 3 Highland. One of my coworkers has a strong interest in EVs (although he does not own one currently) and has frequently chatted with me to discuss the market and more specifically, Tesla. We were both really excited to be in a Highland for the first time and my coworker took the opportunity to ask our driver about it. Our driver had previously owned an older Model 3, which he loved and thought was an amazing vehicle. Model 3 Highland, according to him, is the best vehicle. It's quieter, the suspension is better, the ride is smooth, and still no one comes close from a digital computing standpoint. The driver bemoaned the Hong Kong government for lack of charging infrastructure (his car park has chargers, but many do not) but says it is worth it regardless. Knowing that BYD is a hot brand topic in the USA, my coworker asked the driver what he thought of BYD and their vehicles. The driver responded by saying "BYD is not popular, no one wants to drive a BYD." He proclaimed that the Seal is their only "okay" car and that's just because "a German magazine gave it an okay review." He continued on, "the local brands are crazy, I don't trust it. I don't like the design. I don't like the car. Tesla. Tesla is the way. If people here want to buy a car, you buy a Tesla."

While this is the view of one person, I found the conversation to provide perspective that often isn't appreciated or considered with regards to the Asian consumer. I was afforded another unique local perspective later on my trip while in Guandong. I was being transported by the son of a factory owner, who had just spent the last 7 years in the USA for undergrad and graduated education. He only recently returned to China at the insistance of his father, and wanted to maintain as much "American lifestyle" as he could. This included three things: drinking Smartwater, buying steaks from Sam's Club, and driving. He drove some top tier trim level of a BMU SUV and asked me what I drove. When I responded that I drove a Tesla Model Y, he perked up and exclaimed how cool and highly regarded Tesla vehicles were. He asked me many questions questions about ownership, cost savings, the typical conversations we all have about our EVs.

While this is all anecdotal, in my personal experience, the claims that the Chinese consumer no longer values Tesla vehicles seem at a minimum, exaggerated, and perhaps false altogether. Meanwhile, the suggestion that BYD is highly regarded and could pose a threat to Tesla if allowed in the states, seems suspect. BYD is not a highly regarded brand in China, it is a budget brand. It's not coveted as premium vehicle, but seen as an option if you do not have much money to spend. Should BYD be allowed to sell in the USA, its hard to see how they would be able to shake this perception and actually compete model v. model against Tesla.

The Delaware Chancery Court reorganization effectively destroyed their advantage. OTOH, betting on a new State without an established record and with a distinctly negative attitude towards Tesla from the rarely meeting Texas legislature. That move is done without anything offered from Texas to ameliorate business conduct, specifically sales. That seems odd. Leaving Delaware is simply part of the continuing corporate flight. With a legislature intellectually dominated by auto dealers, is that a wise bet?
I suspect Elon has spoken to ‘people familiar with the matter’. Perhaps those who actually are involved. Maybe this is a question to be asked - Why Texas, Elon? Why should we support an incorporation in Texas as opposed to Nevada? You have to know there’s reasons. We just don’t know them right now.

Seemed strange Tesla would build a car company in Texas in the first place. Yet, here we are. SpaceX is a no brainer because of there being only so many ideal locations from which to launch.

For nearly my whole life, Volvo was the name for safety. Now it is Tesla, and safety sells.
But it is not --- not out there in the FUD world, which is (to a first order approximation) everywhere but here.
Folks I have talked to think of Tesla as either unsafe ("autopilot kills emergency workers", "battery fires", etc.) or too cutting edge ("let's see how they are in 2 more years").
The masses do not yet see Tesla as the safest cars on the road ... not at all ... unfortunately.

There has been a lot of reporting about how much China demand has softened (or completely collapsed depending on the source), and no doubt recent insured vehicle reported numbers have been less than ideal, particularly from an investor standpoint. I've seen so many declare that there is no demand, customers want more luxury, they don't see Tesla as premium, etc. But I've not actually seen any data that points to a consumer centric reasoning for the decline, just a bunch of broad platitudes.

As it so happens, I just spent the last two weeks in mainland China (Guangdong) as well as Hong Kong and it was amazing to see the amount of Tesla's driving around. Many had lots of customized wraps and modifications that created a lot of visual variation and creativity. Generally speaking, in China/Hong Kong you could lump all vehicles into three buckets: Chinese brands, German brands, and Tesla. I was looking forward to seeing some of the Chinese brand EVs in person, but Xpeng, Nio, and Wuling were few and far between. BYD was most prominent of any brand aside from Tesla, but not from a BEV standpoint. Many were older cars with the full "build your dreams" spelled out on the trunk, which just felt quite lame. Across all other new vehicles I observed, it's easy to see the design influence that Tesla has had across the market.

While taking an Uber in Hong Kong, my coworkers and I got to experience a new Model 3 Highland. One of my coworkers has a strong interest in EVs (although he does not own one currently) and has frequently chatted with me to discuss the market and more specifically, Tesla. We were both really excited to be in a Highland for the first time and my coworker took the opportunity to ask our driver about it. Our driver had previously owned an older Model 3, which he loved and thought was an amazing vehicle. Model 3 Highland, according to him, is the best vehicle. It's quieter, the suspension is better, the ride is smooth, and still no one comes close from a digital computing standpoint. The driver bemoaned the Hong Kong government for lack of charging infrastructure (his car park has chargers, but many do not) but says it is worth it regardless. Knowing that BYD is a hot brand topic in the USA, my coworker asked the driver what he thought of BYD and their vehicles. The driver responded by saying "BYD is not popular, no one wants to drive a BYD." He proclaimed that the Seal is their only "okay" car and that's just because "a German magazine gave it an okay review." He continued on, "the local brands are crazy, I don't trust it. I don't like the design. I don't like the car. Tesla. Tesla is the way. If people here want to buy a car, you buy a Tesla."

While this is the view of one person, I found the conversation to provide perspective that often isn't appreciated or considered with regards to the Asian consumer. I was afforded another unique local perspective later on my trip while in Guandong. I was being transported by the son of a factory owner, who had just spent the last 7 years in the USA for undergrad and graduated education. He only recently returned to China at the insistance of his father, and wanted to maintain as much "American lifestyle" as he could. This included three things: drinking Smartwater, buying steaks from Sam's Club, and driving. He drove some top tier trim level of a BMU SUV and asked me what I drove. When I responded that I drove a Tesla Model Y, he perked up and exclaimed how cool and highly regarded Tesla vehicles were. He asked me many questions questions about ownership, cost savings, the typical conversations we all have about our EVs.

While this is all anecdotal, in my personal experience, the claims that the Chinese consumer no longer values Tesla vehicles seem at a minimum, exaggerated, and perhaps false altogether. Meanwhile, the suggestion that BYD is highly regarded and could pose a threat to Tesla if allowed in the states, seems suspect. BYD is not a highly regarded brand in China, it is a budget brand. It's not coveted as premium vehicle, but seen as an option if you do not have much money to spend. Should BYD be allowed to sell in the USA, its hard to see how they would be able to shake this perception and actually compete model v. model against Tesla.
Thank you for that well fleshed out first-person narrative. Extremely helpful!
And to reiterate - BYD has publicly said they will not enter the US market anytime soon. They don't want to be here.

Clearly, they did not have time to plan. Elon tweeted about that just today. He said that you cannot change a multi-billion dollar supply chain that quickly.

You should also note that GM also did not have its Ultimum batteries qualified in time.
What are we paying him billions of dollars for then? They bet the farm on 4680 and had to scramble to Chinese batteries when the gamble didn't pay off. Why else do you think Drew is gone?
Ultium is a small, insignificant percent of GM sales.
EVs are 100% of Tesla sales.
Elon should be held accountable for this error and better have it rectified this year.

Yeah, very surprising... I think they've GOT to either cut pricing significantly on the LR AWD, or just take it off the menu like they did a while back... what's the point of it existing at current price and no IRA credit?
As a comparison and to sell the higher margined product.

Customer: I’m interested in an LR AWD Model 3

Tesla: A good choice, however, perhaps you’d like to consider the new Performance Model 3? You get this, this, this, this and this for less than the LR AWD because of the IRA blah, blah, blah, blah

Customer: No thanks. 🙄🙄🙄🙄🙄

I suspect Elon has spoken to ‘people familiar with the matter’. Perhaps those who actually are involved. Maybe this is a question to be asked - Why Texas, Elon? Why should we support an incorporation in Texas as opposed to Nevada? You have to know there’s reasons. We just don’t know them right now.

Seemed strange Tesla would build a car company in Texas in the first place. Yet, here we are. SpaceX is a no brainer because of there being only so many ideal locations from which to launch.

The Nevada gigafactory taught Tesla an important lesson on where to locate facilities that need a lot of smart engineers, computer people, etc--- and that lesson is don't put it kind of of in the middle of nowhere because the land is cheap.

Proximity to Austin lets them get a lot of nerdy smart folks willing to live and work at the factory there- just as being near silicon valley did in Fremont.

Even Vinfast understood this by putting their US factory near the research triangle park area in NC (this also lets them attract folks in a less directly-competing-with-tesla manner by being on the east coast)

But your state of incorporation (as having been so in Delaware up to now) isn't relevant to that---specialized business courts, business friendly laws and rulings, and low/simple taxes are what matter there... all things Nevada (and Delaware prior to the Elon compensation case) has a good solid history on, and Texas does not.... so reasons for incorporating are quite different from reasons to physically locate plants there.

This one I will disagree with you:

4680 was not a bet. It was and is an effort. And, not only did Tesla work it on their own, they managed to convince other battery cell manufacturers to work on building cells of the same dimensions...and those other manufacturer factories aren't online yet either. And, Tesla didn't stop buying a wide array of other formats of cells from many other suppliers, so it's not like the 4680 somehow signaled Tesla didn't want other cells anymore.

Even if 4680 is behind some assumed schedule, I don't know what other battery supply could Tesla have realistically brought online in the US by now. Tesla simultaneously announced their 4680 goals while also saying they would buy any and all qualified cells from suppliers. Tesla indicated they would need terrawatt hours of cells per year. They stated huge numbers for their projected need for cells, but they can't "make" suppliers build more factories and they can't just wish their own technology development and production ramps to magically go faster.

The only thing I can really think of is, I guess, Tesla could have bought other battery cell manufacturers' patents and trade secrets and factory designs, and just copy-pasted those in massive numbers in the US. Something tells me that isn't exactly realistic -- if Panasonic or LG can't scale or copy-paste their own factories fast enough, I'm not sure how Tesla would be able to buy the necessary patents and trade secrets from them, and somehow come out ahead trying to do exactly that.

We know Tesla buys a wide variety of cells from suppliers in China. Obvious message from Tesla about their demand for any variety of qualified cells.

We know Panasonic is still ramping up Giga Nevada 2170 production. They have always been slow/hesitant to ramp...but I don't see any sign that it is Tesla holding them back at this point. I'm sure Tesla would love to be able to have enough 2170's from Nevada to fill all the Model 3's and Y's built at Fremont...but it's Panasonic that hasn't ramped up to meet the obvious demand.

We know Panasonic is also working on building 4680 cells in the US, but their factories won't be ready for a year or two.

We know LG is also working on building 4680 cells, but their factories also aren't ready.

I really just don't understand what Tesla could have or should have done to somehow get more US-made battery supply.
The smart strategy is to go with what you know until a replacement is ready. Kind of like they shouldn't have deleted USS without vision ready to take over from day 1.
This isn't a small start up anymore. No more of this management by the seat of your pants

What can really be in the ER that we don't already know? I think there was already some hinting that the free flow cash will be down. We know the deliveries...Outside of Elon saying something like "Robotaxi will be the only thing going forward and we won't make consumer cars anyone (won't happen)" is there anything that people are really worried about other than bad mood Elon?
This is your first ER call, huh? What can possibly not been known and revealed - because there’s never, ever been any surprises. Ever. 🤣😂

Like my prediction that CT is at least already at break even or maybe profitable!? That’d be a surprise.

The Nevada gigafactory taught Tesla an important lesson on where to locate facilities that need a lot of smart engineers, computer people, etc--- and that lesson is don't put it kind of of in the middle of nowhere because the land is cheap.

Proximity to Austin lets them get a lot of nerdy smart folks willing to live and work at the factory there- just as being near silicon valley did in Fremont.

Even Vinfast understood this by putting their US factory near the research triangle park area in NC (this also lets them attract folks in a less directly-competing-with-tesla manner by being on the east coast)

But your state of incorporation (as having been so in Delaware up to now) isn't relevant to that---specialized business courts, business friendly laws and rulings, and low/simple taxes are what matter there... all things Nevada (and Delaware prior to the Elon compensation case) has a good solid history on, and Texas does not.... so reasons for incorporating are quite different from reasons to physically locate plants there.
No. That’s not what the problem was at Nevada. You know that. You also know there were other states involved in the bidding.

I’m well aware that incorporation is different than locating factories. Not the point I was making. And you k ow that as well.

I will not play your game.

As a comparison and to sell the higher margined product.

Customer: I’m interested in an LR AWD Model 3

Tesla: A good choice, however, perhaps you’d like to consider the new Performance Model 3? You get this, this, this, this and this for less than the LR AWD because of the IRA blah, blah, blah, blah

Customer: No thanks. 🙄🙄🙄🙄🙄

There's a few problems with that.

1) It means (unless they remove it from the menu) Tesla is now selling a product it makes no sense for anyone to buy (the LR AWD that's net priced higher than the upper level trim)

2) Tesla does not have enough 2170s to replace all LR AWD sales with Ps. How do we know that? If they did they'd have already been putting them in LR AWDs which would then qualify for the $7500 as well.

So right now, yes, nearly any customer is going to pick the P over the LR AWD because of the broken pricing situation... but Tesla can't build nearly as many as they already sell of the LR AWD. Which you just removed any reason for anyone to buy.

So that'll put them in the weird spot of either starting to get REALLY long delivery times on the P and selling little to no AWDs... or needing to slash the price of the LR AWD to give anyone a reason to buy one.

Both of which you avoid if they'd have priced the P at say $57,990..... which would mean there's still a spot price-wise for the LR AWD without needing to cut any prices, plus they'd get 5k more for the P, plus the P would still be a fantastic buy at the price compared to the competition from other quick EVs all of which come in either a touch slower and STILL more expensive, or a touch quicker but WAY more expensive.

I can't see any math or sales outcome where 52.9k makes sense for the P given the current battery, IRA, and sales volume situations in the US- so Tesla doing that remains baffling.

I'd love to hear any theory that makes it make sense.... as long as it's more than just "Tesla must know what they're doing"

What are we paying him billions of dollars for then? They bet the farm on 4680 and had to scramble to Chinese batteries when the gamble didn't pay off. Why else do you think Drew is gone?
Ultium is a small, insignificant percent of GM sales.
EVs are 100% of Tesla sales.
Elon should be held accountable for this error and better have it rectified this year.
Elon has said, on multiple earnings calls, that Tesla is going to continue buying as many batteries as possible from other suppliers going forward. He wanted to reassure them that more batteries are needed and Tesla's efforts into 4680 production are meant to compliment their supply not replace suppliers. This was also stated at battery day.

There's a few problems with that.

1) It means (unless they remove it from the menu) Tesla is now selling a product it makes no sense for anyone to buy (the LR AWD that's net priced higher than the upper level trim)

2) Tesla does not have enough 2170s to replace all LR AWD sales with Ps. How do we know that? If they did they'd have already been putting them in LR AWDs which would then qualify for the $7500 as well.

So right now, yes, nearly any customer is going to pick the P over the LR AWD because of the broken pricing situation... but Tesla can't build nearly as many as they already sell of the LR AWD. Which you just removed any reason for anyone to buy.

So that'll put them in the weird spot of either starting to get REALLY long delivery times on the P and selling little to no AWDs... or needing to slash the price of the LR AWD to give anyone a reason to buy one.

Both of which you avoid if they'd have priced the P at say $57,990..... which would mean there's still a spot price-wise for the LR AWD without needing to cut any prices, plus they'd get 5k more for the P, plus the P would still be a fantastic buy at the price compared to the competition from other quick EVs all of which come in either a touch slower and STILL more expensive, or a touch quicker but WAY more expensive.

I can't see any math or sales outcome where 52.9k makes sense for the P given the current battery, IRA, and sales volume situations in the US- so Tesla doing that remains baffling.

I'd love to hear any theory that makes it make sense.... as long as it's more than just "Tesla must know what they're doing"
The long range has more range, tires on smaller wheels that last longer and are less likely to be damaged and likely perform better in weather events. I would pick the performance but not everyone will.

I think you just answered your own question. SpaceX was already in Texas.

I've seen a lot of committees scout out new locations for a company headquarters. They consider all the economic factors and what is best for the business. Somehow, that almost always happens to be close to the place where the CEO wants to live.

No. That’s not what the problem was at Nevada. You know that.

On the contrary- that was exactly the problem at nevada.

This has been known since 2014

Elon himself cites lack of local "stuff" as the reason they can't get people to move and live there-- lack of enough schools, roads, affordable housing, among others-

Panasonic says the same thing (largely blaming housing costs here as part of why they can't recruit skilled folks to move there)

That's Panasonics senior manager of talent acquisition for Panasonic Energy of North America

YOU should know that.

I’m well aware that incorporation is different than locating factories. Not the point I was making. And you k ow that as well.

I will not play your game.

No, I don't know that, because your post read otherwise.

Do you mean the game of pointing out your arguments don't make sense and claim things that aren't true?

The long range has more range, tires on smaller wheels that last longer and are less likely to be damaged and likely perform better in weather events. I would pick the performance but not everyone will.

For the $2000 cheaper the P is you could sell the 20" wheels (P owners do it all the time) and buy even nicer 18s (which will also improve range- again P owners do it all the time on the outgoing one)

If Tesla moves to Texas, can they just bring back Elon pay package since now they are out of the jurisdiction of Delaware?

No- but the new vote to re-approve it might be able to avoid Delaware court scrutiny depending on the timing of moving incorporation.

(nor would moving out of Delaware absolve them of owing anything the court decides they owe the lawyers in the DE case)