Welcome to Tesla Motors Club
Discuss Tesla's Model S, Model 3, Model X, Model Y, Cybertruck, Roadster and More.
Register

Tesla, TSLA & the Investment World: the Perpetual Investors' Roundtable

This site may earn commission on affiliate links.
Like limit how many times per day each member can post to this thread? Say maybe 5 posts per day to this thread per person?

Yeah, I'd be all in for that change, quality over quantity! 😁
Then someone opens 15 acconts and you are outnumbered by one troll? idk… I think rather an option to ignore _posts_ answering to people on your block list - but that probably has issues as well (since it is not already offered).

Reactions: Mengy
Latest brand survey. Continued weakness.

1716500216267.png

Tesla Motors' brand reputation continued to slip over the last year as the antics of polarizing CEO Elon Musk and other issues tarnished its once-impeccable image, according to new Axios Harris Poll 100 survey results.

Why it matters: Tesla soared to 8th place in 2021's ranking of America's 100 most visible companies by their perceived image, but has since plummeted to 63rd — suggesting Musk and his company flew too high and too fast, like Icarus of Greek myth.

Zoom in: In the 2024 Axios Harris Poll 100, Tesla ranks in the 70s or below on attributes like character, trust and ethics.
  • It ranks higher on factors like growth (48th), vision (34th) and products & services (32nd).
  • But those rankings are far below its standing just three years ago, when Tesla ranked in the top 10 on all three attributes.
Context: Tesla's reputation has slid behind those of other conventional automakers.
  • Honda (7th), Toyota (12th), Subaru (15th), General Motors (40th) and Ford (55th) now all rank higher than Tesla (63rd).
  • Only Volkswagen (69th) ranks lower..

Last edited:

View attachment 1049916

Tesla Motors' brand reputation continued to slip over the last year as the antics of polarizing CEO Elon Musk and other issues tarnished its once-impeccable image, according to new Axios Harris Poll 100 survey results.

Why it matters: Tesla soared to 8th place in 2021's ranking of America's 100 most visible companies by their perceived image, but has since plummeted to 63rd — suggesting Musk and his company flew too high and too fast, like Icarus of Greek myth.

Zoom in: In the 2024 Axios Harris Poll 100, Tesla ranks in the 70s or below on attributes like character, trust and ethics.
  • It ranks higher on factors like growth (48th), vision (34th) and products & services (32nd).
  • But those rankings are far below its standing just three years ago, when Tesla ranked in the top 10 on all three attributes.
Context: Tesla's reputation has slid behind those of other conventional automakers.
  • Honda (7th), Toyota (12th), Subaru (15th), General Motors (40th) and Ford (55th) now all rank higher than Tesla (63rd).

That's not too surprising. Elon's behavior is polarizing, it was bound to have an effect on Tesla's rep and it's likely had an effect on sales as well. The size of that effect is debatable and subjective, but Tesla is clearly seeing demand issues due to a myriad of factors, mostly economic probably, but its reasonable to assume the reputation hit has had a measurable impact too. I know quite a lot of people who have soured on Tesla due to Elon's antics, and I know many who were once considering buying a Tesla but now won't. Not even after test rides in my Model Y, they'll tell me the car is fantastic but they would never be associated with owning one due to Elon.

I'd be lying if I said I didn't wish he'd tone it down and be more mindful of what he says publicly. 😞

XPeng, for one.

Your lack of ability to demonstrate any significant difference between the all-roads one Tesla is providing and the all-roads ones in China.

Like I said earlier- you're using the No True Scotsman Fallacy to defend an inaccurate claim.

Again.
That was an Electrek article.

Here’s the latest from XPeng.

They claim it WILL be in a lot of cities. Nowhere have I found evidence it ALREADY works in every city AND every road in between cities. Do you have any evidence, other than that Electrek article, which seems to mischaracterize the actual press release I’m providing?

And the fact that they are rolling it out to different sets of cities at a time, strongly implies it relies on some kind of high definition mapping. Which would mean it is not equivalent to FSD.

Last edited:
That's not too surprising. Elon's behavior is polarizing, it was bound to have an effect on Tesla's rep and it's likely had an effect on sales as well. The size of that effect is debatable and subjective, but Tesla is clearly seeing demand issues due to a myriad of factors, mostly economic probably, but its reasonable to assume the reputation hit has had a measurable impact too. I know quite a lot of people who have soured on Tesla due to Elon's antics, and I know many who were once considering buying a Tesla but now won't. Not even after test rides in my Model Y, they'll tell me the car is fantastic but they would never be associated with owning one due to Elon.

I'd be lying if I said I didn't wish he'd tone it down and be more mindful of what he says publicly. 😞
I would love to see him being called out for his X behavior at the shareholder meeting during Q&A. His opinions are not one-offs like they used to be and I'm tired of his X postings bleeding into the media news and social society. He posts like a 5 year old who thinks his opinion is fact.

Wait a minute. I thought everyone hated Elon since 2022.

This Sawyer person seems to post pretty one sided things I've noticed.
Edit: I think he owns the stock so he obviously pushes it no matter what. Not really unbiased information when you have a financial stake to pump the stock.

I honestly wouldn't look too much into applications since a lot of low skilled/manual labor folks will take any job. Like that youtuber Nico something that got laid off, he said he started at $20/hour at Tesla. Tesla has a lot of lower paying jobs due to manufacturing so there simply are more jobs/heads there overall vs. higher margin businesses (eg: software, chip design, etc). Tesla had 140k employees recently. Nvidia has like almost 30k now.

I didn't see a recent article, but Median Tesla worker pay was like $56k or something from an old 2019 article.

Look at this recent piece on Nvidia (since that's the recent darlin):

Median employee pay is $266,939. Less jobs overall at these places, much much higher comp. I still don't see why a top AI or top any employee would care to apply to Tesla in it's current state vs. other companies out there, but maybe it's just me and not getting it.

Old Germany hiring issues article:

Last edited:
I've seen 30 - 70 fatalities per billion miles for bicycling.

For motorcycling, it's like 310 fatalities per billion miles.

The problem, of course is that "per mile" really isn't the best normalization as motorcycle riders are going to ride faster than cyclists. Per hour might be better.

Even if you just assume motorcycles are averaging double the speed of cyclists, then they definitely have 10X the death rate.
I had only looked for US statistics, UK does a better job of presenting both. Per their web site.

Bicyclist death rate 141 per billion miles, motorcyclists 285, for the most recent year presented (2020). I'm actually surprised bicyclist death rates aren't much higher, given how few miles are actually covered vs the number of accidents the seem to be in. Matter of perception I guess. Then again, having spent time in the UK, traffic is crazy, especially in urban areas, I can see how they lose more motorcyclists. In the US, motorcyclist death rates are similar though. Facts + Statistics: Motorcycle crashes | III (note that rate is per 100M miles, not 1 B).

Haven't found stats for bicyclists in the US.

I've ridden around 200k miles in the last 12k years, haven't had an accident or really close call on the street (OK-did hit one small deer, but did not go down). But then, I ride very defensively, constantly look for threats, don't stop directly behind cars at stop lights and look in the rear view mirror and am prepared to launch if someone is coming up behind at a stoplight. Plenty of stupid drivers, but after time it becomes instinctive, you can get a feel for who are the dangerous ones.

. I still don't see why a top AI or top any employee would care to apply to Tesla in it's current state vs. other companies out there, but maybe it's just me and not getting it.
Sometimes taking a job isn't just about money, the additional factors are;-
  • Interesting / challenging work.
  • Building the skill set / resume.
  • Working in a good culture, with capable team members, and minimal politics.
  • The mission.
  • Employee benefits including shares.
The average salary doesn't provide much indication of what the top earners are paid, there are a lot of regular factory / admin jobs at Tesla.

I remember the one time I was lucky enough to work on interesting / challenging work, in a good culture, with capable team members, and minimal politics. Because most of my career hasn't been like that, and I know many people never even get to experience working in that kind of environment.

A younger version of me, would sign up to work at Tesla in a heartbeat.

That was an Electrek article.

Here’s the latest from XPeng.

No, that's not "the latest" from XPeng.

That's a link from late 2023.

My story was from Feb 2024.

Further, Xpeng themselves has newer info than yours-ALSO from 2024

Where they tell you they've rolled it out to all roads in China. Same as Fred did.

Or if you want a news source that's not Fred here ya go:

Xpeng (NYSE: XPEV) today announced that its XNGP (Xpeng navigation guided pilot) feature becomes available on all roads in China, after expanding the coverage of the ADAS (Advanced Driver Assistance System) to more than 200 cities early last month

They went from a pilot program on highways only in late 2022, to 5 major cities on city streets in mid-2023, then 52 cities late 2023, then 200+ cities Jan 2 of 2024... then everywhere in China Feb 29 2024.

The same announcement is, like Tesla, saying that later this year they'll be covering additional private road and parking lot scenarios not yet covered... .

And finally that the highway-only version will be offered globally (ie everywhere NOT china) later this year too, and globally available for all roads including city streets outside China in 2025.

There's nothing that I can see about it exceeding L2, so it's certainly not comparable to what Tesla hopes to turn FSD into in the future. But it's directly comparable to the system they offer today.

View attachment 1049916

Well for those who claim this is because of Elon, they also need to explain what bad things Jim Farley said in 2024 to cause Ford's ranking drop by 23 places, from 32 to 55.

BTW, they have Nvidia as #1 even though regular consumers don't directly use Nvidia product at all and likely never heard of them until recently. Seems to me this ranking is basically reflecting the stock performance, Nivida is #1 because their stock is skyrocketing, Tesla's ranking increased from 2019 to 2022, corresponding to the bull run of TSLA, and it's now down because TSLA is down in the past two years. You can see similar correlation with Ford stock price and their ranking in this poll.

Well for those who claim this is because of Elon, they also need to explain what bad things Jim Farley said in 2024 to cause Ford's ranking drop by 23 places, from 32 to 55.

BTW, they have Nvidia as #1 even though regular consumers don't directly use Nvidia product at all and likely never heard of them until recently.

Nice job saying you know nothing about video games without saying you know nothing about video games :)
(or Nvidia for that matter)

Nvidias video cards in PCs represent over 75% of steam users for example.... and have been the dominant player in PC gaming for years

Nvidia is who brought hardware-accelerated ray tracing to video games. with the introduction of their RTX video cards in 2018 (though it took a bit to catch on)

All bought by regular consumers-- and typically with said user either explicitly selecting an Nvidia video card when building their system, or explicitly selecting one when having an OEM or system integrator build it for them.

Nvidia sold over 30 million discrete graphics cards just for desktop PCs going to consumers in 2022. That's JUST desktops BTW-- most PC sales anymore are laptops- which ALSO offer discrete GPUs, and where again Nvidia is quite popular and sells a lot of units.

Then add all the home theater folks using Nvidia shields as their media streamer at home- which is only possible if they explicitly are aware of Nvidia and that the product exists and why it's a better streaming device than most others.

So yes way way way more consumers directly use Nvidia products than use Tesla ones in recent years.

Like add a 0 to annual unit sales, then double it, and you're still not close to catching up

Last edited:
Nice job saying you know nothing about video games without saying you know nothing about video games :)

Nvidias video cards in PCs represent over 75% of steam users for example.... and have been the dominant player in PC gaming for years

Nvidia is who brought hardware-accelerated ray tracing to video games. with the introduction of their RTX video cards in 2018 (though it took a bit to catch on)

All bought by regular consumers-- and typically with said user either explicitly selecting an Nvidia video card when building their system, or explicitly selecting one when having an OEM or system integrator build it for therm.

Ditto all the home theater folks using Nvidia shields as their media streamer at home- which is only possible if they explicitly are aware of Nvidia and that the product exists.
Video game is a $400B industry and NVDA is the godfather of it all. Has been for over 15 years. Every little boy's dream is to get his hand on a RTX 4090.