Welcome to Tesla Motors Club
Discuss Tesla's Model S, Model 3, Model X, Model Y, Cybertruck, Roadster and More.
Register

Tesla, TSLA & the Investment World: the Perpetual Investors' Roundtable

This site may earn commission on affiliate links.
Of course they need to maximize profits. But sometimes the way they chase short term profits can alienate potential customers and negatively affect long term prospects.

But it’s a balancing act, and time will tell how successful their strategy proves to be overall.

It is indeed a balancing act.

I'm not disagreeing...just noting another facet to consider: Imagine what the demand would be if Tesla was currently selling a dual motor Cybertruck for $50K, or even $60K. Now bump that demand up even more because the tax credit would also be available to pull that cost down even lower. Now remember that Tesla is still ramping up production, so there's no way they could meet that demand. The wait times would be enormous, and that can also dissuade and displease customers.

Tesla lost money for well over a decade and took 18 years to make a profit.
Rivian are in way, way worse a position than Tesla ever was, and Tesla didn't have to compete with any other EV company:
1716585416849.png

"Cybertruck is also a great SUV."
If you left out "also" I could have understood your last sentence. Cybertruck is a truck in name only. Elon had all the freedom and resources to make whatever vehicle he wanted. And he did. And then to try and capture the huge Pick-up segment of the market he named it cyberTRUCK, hoping the truck buyers would look at it.
But from the first day of design he was just trying to make an odd-looking Kickass SUV.
I'd buy any of the other big 3's electric pickups over the cyberturd if they had FSD (or the future chance at FSD). And with the midgate on the Silverado they might get my money even if I do have to drive it.
We can hope the cybercab is getting Elon's attention, and FSD will be level IV...V.

Just a quick note/request:

I generally find your posts thoughtful and well-written...until I get to where you frequently use the term "cyberturd." That's when I throw up in my mouth a little and can't focus on the rest of your thoughts.

It reminds me of the wierdos in comment sections that insist on calling Elon by not-so-clever nicknames time after time. Eloon. Elmo. Melon Husk/Tusk. Enron. Muskrat. Space Karen*. It *might* be clever the first time. But when people use it over and over again it comes off pretty lame and makes the writer seem irrational or childish. It's even worse when some commenter uses their favorite lame nickname multiple times in a single paragraph...

Anyway, if you could reduce or eliminate the use of the pejorative nicknames, I'd be a little happier and could appreciate your posts more.

*Actually, I find "Space Karen" to be pretty funny, and I think Elon plaid on that with a profile picture at some point too. That one doesn't give me bad vibes for some reason...maybe becuase it's not just a lame modification to an actual name.

I'm so FSD addicted I refuse to take delivery until FSD is running on CT. Who drives anymore anyway? This is 2024. Pick: a human or AI chauffeur. Plebs steer steering wheels.
FSD is coming to the cybertruck in a few months. Even if you place a Foundation order today, you won't see it until q4 this year which will likely be after fsd has been enabled.

Fun fact to end the day 😂...

Ahead of the election for the EU parliament, the German Christian Democrats (biggest conservative party, currently in the opposition) put up an online vote asking people whether the 2035 cut off for selling ICE cars in the EU that was already passed should be taken back, likely expecting an easy populistic victory... However, 84% of more than 100,000 respondents said no :). Obviously this is not a representative poll, but still nice to see they failed and are getting laughed at for this

Rivian are in way, way worse a position than Tesla ever was, and Tesla didn't have to compete with any other EV company:
View attachment 1050258

I got the 18 year from this article:

I do agree that Rivian needs some financial backer and have stated that before, but as we all know, starting a car company is hard. That doesn't change the fact that there are LOTS of other truck options in the EV space and FCF for Tesla was negative last quarter as well.

Why doesn't your chart have year 21+ already? I'm always sorta skeptical of a random user's chart too as well, but don't disagree with you in general that Rivian needs $$ (and have stated as much as well in the past).

To not spam the board, didn't see this posted here. There are videos interviewing him as well, I think downside with any self driving is it's not perfect yet (assuming of course, he's not lying, reports say it was in FSD. Problem with very good FSD is if it craps out after building a lot of your confidence, you have situations like this):

Video: Tesla Owner Forced To Intervene As Car Veers Towards Oncoming Train While In Self-Driving Mode​

Last edited:
Haven't seen it mentioned yet so I'll do so. Tesla introduced a new colour for $2500 for the Model S and X, "Lunar Silver".

View attachment 1050261
I'm used to see more Model 3/Y than large sedans (because I live in a country with human-sized roads), I can't unsee the extremely long noise of the S in this picture. How many engines, radiators, oil reservoirs, cables, and other big boxes of stuff can fit in such a huge frunk? Or is it the illusion of perspective?

I like my EV front to be as short as possible for visibilty and manoeuvrability.

Anyone wish they had moved everything to Nvidia for a while and then rotated back here? I know, easy to say now in hindsight
I actually did (for a portion at least) but was forced to sell due to leverage issues. Bear in mind, while the rise of the per share amount is pretty high, on a percentage basis it's not quite as impressive.

Hope that helps you sleep better tonight...

Cybertruck is a truck in name only.
It is certainly a lot more comfortable to ride in, and has a lot better handling than a regular truck,

No product can satisfy 100% of buyers in a particular segment,

It will work as a truck for some people.

Many that work in construction here drive similar vehicles, Most building materials are delivered to a site via other means, the amount of gear they need to haul isn't a big deal.

In addition to construction, it would work for landscaping and gardening businesses here.

Then there are people who mostly need or want a truck / SUV for recreational purposes.

For those that don't like, it there are other options.

What does this have to do with the CT specs?
everything
TSLA is selling a car for way more than what you think its worth based on its specs. TSLA is able to do this because demand > supply. You seem to think this is a problem, but if TSLA cuts CT prices without changing the specs, I bet you will be the first to say "demand has evaporated. CT is dead."

Last edited:
"Cybertruck is also a great SUV."
If you left out "also" I could have understood your last sentence. Cybertruck is a truck in name only. Elon had all the freedom and resources to make whatever vehicle he wanted. And he did. And then to try and capture the huge Pick-up segment of the market he named it cyberTRUCK, hoping the truck buyers would look at it.
But from the first day of design he was just trying to make an odd-looking Kickass SUV.
I'd buy any of the other big 3's electric pickups over the cyberturd if they had FSD (or the future chance at FSD). And with the midgate on the Silverado they might get my money even if I do have to drive it.
We can hope the cybercab is getting Elon's attention, and FSD will be level IV...V.

Beauty is in the eyes of the beholder;)

I skimmed it looking for a Cybertruck daily production estimate but didn’t catch it. Did he talk about that?
It's up to 1200/day - 75k per year. In one of my prior posts.

Reportedly also a peak production day this week on Cybertruck of 250 - burst.

anecdotal support to this: In my neck of the woods, CTs are flying off the lot

Last edited:
Reactions: JusRelax