Welcome to Tesla Motors Club
Discuss Tesla's Model S, Model 3, Model X, Model Y, Cybertruck, Roadster and More.
Register

Tesla, TSLA & the Investment World: the Perpetual Investors' Roundtable

This site may earn commission on affiliate links.
And that 25 years of electricity is based on today’s electricity prices - history suggests those prices will go up (in fairness, this is probably offset by the slow degradation of the panels’ output).
1000006311.png

This thread is rapidly degenerating into just a bunch of 'investors' who seem focused on ranting about the CEO's politics. There are other places to do this, in fact the entire internet seems to be taken over by people who spend their every waking moment ranting about how much they hat Elon's politics. This is the last sane place where serious investors can discuss the company, and it would be very depressing to see it go the same way.
There are dedicated 'offtopic' and 'twitter' and 'elon' threads available.

BTW, when discussing how awful it is that elon thought things would be quicker or easier, take a look at Boeing. After spending a staggering amount more than spacex, they STILL cannot get astronauts off the ground, years after spacex managed it, and are even now sending tourists. Blu Origin STILL not in orbit either. Maybe, just maybe, mass production of 4680s and EV semi trucks is a very hard thing to do? There is ample evidence of Elon managing companies that do hard things very, very effectively.

And that 25 years of electricity is based on today’s electricity prices - history suggests those prices will go up (in fairness, this is probably offset by the slow degradation of the panels’ output).
Not even close - since 2015 my 10kW solar production degraded less than 5% while off peak price of electricity went up 270% from ev6 off peak 12 cents to forced switch into EV-A then ev2a plan at 36 cents per kWh.

It paid for itself in less than 6 years, even when not counting replacing last gas car in 2016.

Last edited:
This thread is rapidly degenerating into just a bunch of 'investors' who seem focused on ranting about the CEO's politics. There are other places to do this, in fact the entire internet seems to be taken over by people who spend their every waking moment ranting about how much they hat Elon's politics. This is the last sane place where serious investors can discuss the company, and it would be very depressing to see it go the same way.

BTW, when discussing how awful it is that elon thought things would be quicker or easier, take a look at Boeing. After spending a staggering amount more than spacex, they STILL cannot get astronauts off the ground, years after spacex managed it, and are even now sending tourists. Blu Origin STILL not in orbit either. Maybe, just maybe, mass production of 4680s and EV semi trucks is a very hard thing to do? There is ample evidence of Elon managing companies that do hard things very, very effectively.

In regards to Boeing/other space companies and hopefully, the mods don't delete my post, but a lot of people like to compare Tesla with SpaceX, but just maybe, is SpaceX more successful/focused simply because they have Gwynne Shotwell at the helm vs. Musk and there is little/no distraction there? I don't think many people would agree that she could be the CEO of SpaceX and everything would be running fine and humming along.

Look at this article:

I've seen many others in the past about how employees at SpaceX manage Elon so he simply doesn't get in the way. Tesla completely lacks someone like this. Every hire has to be reviewed/approved by Elon? Seriously? What a lack of trust of everyone else and a waste of a CEO's time.

Maybe all of us can simply not add politics into our own posts (you included right now) or definitely not start one complaining about it. I already post a lot less unless the information, I feel is more directly relevant and we're all waiting for actual numbers due in a month/election vote also, but for investing in Tesla, there are certainly more factors if something unnecessary is brought up by the CEO. However, we're definitely not here to discuss politics so it'd help the thread if everyone, just not respond, comment or add/complain about stuff (you/me included). It's nice the thread has less messages overall actually and many bulls post the same useless posts too.

Hard to argue with success, easy to argue with political opinions. If all of this stuff is this hard for Tesla, just think how hard it is for everyone else.

Not doing solar would be insanely expensive, as it produces at least 25 years of electrical bills worth of electricity.
Not doing solar would be insanely expensive, as it produces at least 25 years of electrical bills worth of electricity.
We don't pay insane rates per kWh like CA. I'd have to pay over $32k for 10kW to replace a $200/mth bill @ $.15/kWh

How much will my $32k (in today's dollars) solar panels be worth compared to if I put $32k in an index for 25 years?
Solar just doesn't make financial sense where I live
Besides, you can buy solar power from FPL. Tesla wants over $100,000 to put a solar roof on and $70 plus just for panels and batteries for my house. That won’t pay back ever here. Buying solar from a company makes more sense here. Babcock Ranch is a small town entirely solar powered by FPL.

Last edited:
My "premium connectivity" in the Tesla just ran out. It's about 10 USD a month to keep it and I primarily use it to be able to access Spotify directly from the car, instead of having to go through phone - bluetooth. I paid - please don't laugh at me - about 160 kUSD a year ago for my Model X Plaid, I am rather well off and not particularly cheap. Still I am very hesitant to pay 10 usd a month for an internet connection in the car. I don't like monthly fees for a "nice to have". So this makes me wonder about the take rate for FSD, which is about ten times as expensive. Maybe different for people who commute long distances everyday, I bike to work, but I am not certain we will see a majority paying for FSD. Do we know already? Sorry if I haven't scrolled back all hundreds of posts if this is already discussed.

My "premium connectivity" in the Tesla just ran out. It's about 10 USD a month to keep it and I primarily use it to be able to access Spotify directly from the car, instead of having to go through phone - bluetooth. I paid - please don't laugh at me - about 160 kUSD a year ago for my Model X Plaid, I am rather well off and not particularly cheap. Still I am very hesitant to pay 10 usd a month for an internet connection in the car. I don't like monthly fees for a "nice to have". So this makes me wonder about the take rate for FSD, which is about ten times as expensive. Maybe different for people who commute long distances everyday, I bike to work, but I am not certain we will see a majority paying for FSD. Do we know already? Sorry if I haven't scrolled back all hundreds of posts if this is already discussed.
IIRC Elon laughed at a reported single digit percent take rate (4%?) on X. That puts it into a 5-50% range I guess ;)

I think premium connectivity is a no brainer. Its massively, massively worth it. Spotify is great, live traffic updates are a nice bonus, and decent connection for streaming netflix if I'm at a supercharger is the cherry on the icing on the cake.
$10 a month. So $120 a year. $1,200 if you keep the car a massive ten years. On a $50 car purchase, its a rounding error. I cannot understand anybody *not* having it tbh.
And I'm a work from home semi retired guy who isn't stuck in rush-hour commutes or frequently supercharging.

I think premium connectivity is a no brainer. Its massively, massively worth it. Spotify is great, live traffic updates are a nice bonus, and decent connection for streaming netflix if I'm at a supercharger is the cherry on the icing on the cake.
$10 a month. So $120 a year. $1,200 if you keep the car a massive ten years. On a $50 car purchase, its a rounding error. I cannot understand anybody *not* having it tbh.
And I'm a work from home semi retired guy who isn't stuck in rush-hour commutes or frequently supercharging.
It's only $99 per year if you pay up front.

Probably just boils down to how often you use it or a matter of your own personal belief system/policy. $10/month isn't going to affect you financially.

As for FSD, I've been stating that I think for normal/avg/poor people, $99/month for FSD is insanely expensive. Honestly, that's pretty much every single streaming entertainment one can possibly want plus add in a few live movies at a theater as well. I get folks who want to prove a point to support Elon paying for it, but for the normies, I don't see many takers personally. Of course, people are stupid with their $$ and it's no wonder they don't own homes or simply live paycheck to paycheck.

As you're one of the rather well off people, you're probably that way because you don't waste $$ or spend it unwisely (and had/have a decent job too). I already have good enough cell coverage so I can't see myself paying for this from any car provider, and is Bluetooth on the phone really that bad in a Tesla? Just tell it to play whatever playlist you want and that's it. Android Auto already has traffic updates by default for FREE.

Until Tesla actually releases FSD paying customer numbers, no one will be able to guess.

After almost a week here in Beijing, finally saw my first Refresh 3.

My dad asked my Cousin how BYD compares to a Tesla here. He said it serves completely two demographics of people who are different. ByD is more for the common man, while a Tesla is for those who likes new tech and want a brand name. He said he is a commoner who doesn't consider Teslas because he wants the most bang for the buck, and would also like a hybrid given his driving style. He also said LI Auto and NIO are BBA(benz/bmw/audi)'s competition, however NIO is no longer as popular.

He said Japanese brands are deeply in trouble here as BYD is taking over due to competitive pricing. ByD are willing to go lower than any car from Japan.

My uncle said getting a plate is a lottery system, an NEV car is easier to get a plate, however it has became difficult due to the surge in popularity. It used to be very easy because no one wanted an EV. Getting a gas plate is near impossible. He was on the waiting list for years and eventually gave up.

Lastly after not being in China for the past 20 years, I can officially say this country has indeed transformed. Air quality and cleanliness is night and day. They have indeed built things extremely fast. People here work 26hrs a day. The US as Elon said is falling behind quickly due to complacency and just all this whining about pay and "harsh working hrs" compared to other lazier countries in EU. However quality control is still an issue. I wouldn't consider certain things built with high precision or quality.

I wouldn't say it's all flowers and roses as this place tracks people like a dystopian black mirror episode, but people here actually likes it as it has brought them safety since crime rate plummeted big time. Accessing the net beyond China's intense filter is PIA which prevents people from learning other perspectives of the truth. Not for free thinkers but also prevents people from comparing themselves to others unlike all the whiners in the US. They keep working them 26hrs a day thinking it's normal.

Last edited:
Lastly after not being in China for the past 20 years, I can officially say this country has indeed transformed. Air quality and cleanliness is night and day. They have indeed built things extremely fast. People here work 26hrs a day. The US as Elon said is falling behind quickly due to complacency and just all this whining about pay and "harsh working hrs" compared to other lazier countries in EU. However quality control is still an issue. I wouldn't consider certain things built with high precision or quality.

I wouldn't say it's all flowers and roses as this place tracks people like a dystopian black mirror episode, but people here actually likes it as it has brought them safety since crime rate plummeted big time. Accessing the net beyond China's intense filter is PIA which prevents people from learning other perspectives of the truth. Not for free thinkers but also prevents people from comparing themselves to others unlike all the whiners in the US. They keep working them 26hrs a day thinking it's normal.
By 26 hours a day, do you mean 16, or 12, or what would you estimate as the actual average?

By 26 hours a day, do you mean 16, or 12, or what would you estimate as the actual average?
I mean it as a joke because this one worker said it at the airport. "We are required to work 26hrs a day sometimes".

But sounds like taking to my uncle the min work week for most workers like those in construction is 60hrs a week. They give people salary pay here, and expectations are 12 to 14hr days.